Page 7611 of 7701 FirstFirst ... 66117111751175617601760676097610761176127613761676217661 ... LastLast
Results 152,201 to 152,220 of 154009

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi(kari) View Post
    Petri, what's the ideal translation of 女子力?
    gatekeep gaslight girlboss

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Though as a side-note, since the official translation sort of doesn't quite address it:

As I alluded to in my post, what he's doing is transferring something called 運命力 ("Fate Power" and you'll have to excuse the Japanese, because this term doesn't have a commonly accepted translation). This is explained earlier on in Babylonia as a resource that signifies how long one is fated to live. A way of counting one's fortuity towards living, if you will. Fou gave up all his own so that Mashu could live. Thus Fou ceased to be the impending Beast IV, and was rendered a harmless critter.
    I think I translated this as "Karmic Power" in LB6, but more because I forgot it was explained in Babylonia already and also because it always makes me think of Madoka and how they had the whole "the timeloops made all these karmic threads connect to madoka and that gave her the big power".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    The full version of the Food lore as I was told is:
    Food asked to be banned so he could stop obsessively checking the site and focus on med school. The old staff (which apparently shares no members with the current one aside from Seika?) said he self-control was his own responsibility, so he made his own ban inevitable by indiscriminately flaming anyone in his way.

FWIW, what’s actually on his record is:
    A couple of corrections here.

1) No, I wasn't on the staff at the time, I had to look up the "official" side of this from the remnants in the mod forum too. The remaining staff from that time are DarkPulse (lol), Toby, and IRUn.

2) These were the incidents in the space of a month that really put him on the radar and then got him banned. They're not the totality of his record - although I don't know what that totality might have been, and it literally could just have been these? IDK.

E: Further discussion to the BL History thread, please.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    I think I translated this as "Karmic Power" in LB6, but more because I forgot it was explained in Babylonia already and also because it always makes me think of Madoka and how they had the whole "the timeloops made all these karmic threads connect to madoka and that gave her the big power".
    NA used "the strenght of your fate" (Babylonia), "future" (Solomon), and "fate" (Ishtar Cup).

Blog Entries
    Maybe something derived from fatalism as a translation? Though I don't know if the power in question is the power of fate acting upon one, or the power of one's fate.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sione
    Prententious killjoys with comically academic "critiques" are just as annoying as braindead gachoomers. This is the only valid horseshoe.
    A Fond Farewell to Type-Moon is a fucking gold mine.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Love pretending that terms don't exist.

I mean they're all well translated enough in their own seperate contexts but it sorts of grates at the nerves that they'd just ignore it being a consistent term. They even had the gift of 2 years of foresight as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    Maybe something derived from fatalism as a translation? Though I don't know if the power in question is the power of fate acting upon one, or the power of one's fate.
    Latter.
    Last edited by Petrikow; January 21st, 2022 at 02:08 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Love pretending that terms don't exist.
    Thankfully this fandom is full of people with knowledge of the poles.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. This is an offhand question I guess, but were there any interpretations of greek fatalism as being a power from within the individual as opposed to fate as a force of nature? My (very limited) knowledge on the subject only assures me of the presence of the latter.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sione
    Prententious killjoys with comically academic "critiques" are just as annoying as braindead gachoomers. This is the only valid horseshoe.
    A Fond Farewell to Type-Moon is a fucking gold mine.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Byegod's Avatar
    So does this mean people have set lifespans...

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah kinda, it's been a thing since MEoDP.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    NA used "the strenght of your fate" (Babylonia), "future" (Solomon), and "fate" (Ishtar Cup).
    I always think that this fandom would be so much better off if there were openly agreed upon translations for certain terms. Index really has it lucky.

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    Standardized translations with a unified lore bible that would set the standard for all of the Nasuverse's stuff going forward would also be nice if we're wishing for stuff, lol

After rewatching Zero, Fate, UBW and Heaven's Feel...finishing the visual novel for the third time...and reading the official material about Fate Zero and Fate Stay Night...I come to the conclusion that the ritual of the holy grail needs 4 "big and importants elements".

1.- The Grail Vessel (Iri and Illya)
    2.- The Lesser Grail (which is found inside Iri and Illya later)
    3.- The Dress of Heaven (Which can only be controlled by a Homunculus)
    4.- The Greater Grail (which is found in the caverns below the city of Fuyuki)

Am I right?...or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Jesse1089; January 22nd, 2022 at 02:14 AM.

JP Friend Code
    N/A
    I don't recall Sakura needing the Dress of Heaven, though perhaps there was something else that compensated for that.

And looking Apocrypha, all that's really needed is the Greater Grail, though you could perhaps argue still needing a grail vessel.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    There's a Lesser Grail in Apocrypha, purposely kept in a broken state to keep the Greater Grail from going into wish mode but not broken enough to cause the Greater Grail to glitch out. So Greater and Lesser are definitely needed. The "vessel" is just the Lesser Grail in another form, so it's the same thing. The Dress of Heaven seems to just basically be admin rights, so it's not necessary.

According to the Material Works Dress of Heaven function is to control the Greater Grail...so I'd say it is necessary...

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    If you're looking to establish the Third on a wide scale like intended, it's probably necessary, which is why Amakusa had to manually go inside it. But otherwise, it seems to be completely set up to self-function in the capacity of generic wish granter. Darnic's setup seems to have been completely without issue as far as we're shown.

Is the mass of meat attached to Shinji Illya's heart? but growing out of control because he is unsuited for the job?

What exactly are the textures of reality? I've seen the term used before and just kinda brushed it off but I saw the tsukihime RE finale I'm really confused

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenhero36 View Post
    What exactly are the textures of reality? I've seen the term used before and just kinda brushed it off but I saw the tsukihime RE finale I'm really confused
    Someone else already asked the question, and was answered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Textures are different layers of reality spread out over the planet. Like imagine if the planet was a basketball, then textures would be different blankets wrapped around it. The human world is a texture, the Reverse Side is a texture, and the ocean where the Wandering Sea is located is a texture too. Lynchpins like Rhongmyniad hold textures in place, and without them their respective texture would disappear. So like without Rhon, the human layer of reality would vanish.
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    The term "texture" is actually pretty literal in its description. Each texture is a metaphysical "layer" over the planet, but to continue the ball analogy: a table tennis ball is smooth and glossy, while a regular tennis ball is fuzzy. They have different textures, in the literal sense. This fact also results in both of them behaving differently (ignoring what's inside the ball for the sake of this).

So let's say that in the beginning, there were only regular table tennis balls. One day, someone ended up putting the exterior of a regular tennis ball on all the table tennis balls, so now they play like shit. So in order for table tennis to continue as it had always done, you would have literally had to also change the properties of physics which interact with the ball.
    This is pretty much how world textures work as well. Whatever species become the apex/prime ones of the planet cover the world in their own unique coat of paint to make it suit them more specifically, but since the world will not tolerate any paradoxes or inconsistencies, then it also needs to retcon history itself. So when humanity took over, science was the hot topic, and so the world would now be governed by natural laws of physics, which also retconned all the magical history to fit with that.

If the pins weren't there, the texture would come loose, and the texture below it (in the current case, the AoG texture) would be on top again. However, I don't think we really know if pins are just for human textures, or if AoG ones even have them in the first place, but it would make sense for it to just be human-specific because the world hates us or whatever.
    Now that Textures were brought up, I'm reminded of The Shekinah Glory in SMTV which I think is similar in principle.
    Last edited by OnesFleetingGlory; January 22nd, 2022 at 11:06 PM.