Page 7374 of 7875 FirstFirst ... 6374687472747324736473697372737373747375737673797384742474747874 ... LastLast
Results 147,461 to 147,480 of 157483

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    ?

I mean, that's my point. It does say he'll reproduce Berserker's strength, but Shirou is still using Archer's arm to yield it.
    He's making a wordplay joke based on the expression "on the other hand".
    There is no spoon "other hand", it's all Archer's hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    It's more like the weapon remembers how to fight and Shirou get's dragged along. He's not actually getting the skills, it's all in the weapon.
    I forget, but isn't that just with Archer's Kanshou & Bakuya?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, never mind, you posted the example with Caliburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    For reference on how difficult it probably would be consult Clocktower 2015 and Lev’s research.
    Oh? What's Lev's research about?

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Oh? What's Lev's research about?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post

The Clock Tower of 2015
    [...]
    A magus was a creature with nothing but magecraft on his mind. There was no room for burdens such as "life".
    To a magus, deciphering a grimoire was not just a matter of comprehension. It was for recreating a Mystery from eras past, and then redefining its meaning in the current era.
    It was like translating Shakespeare into modern English.
    If deciphering a page of the grimoire took an hour, then a five-hundred-page tome would take 20 some days. In the research building, there were 500 grimoire awaiting to be read. On average Leiv could read about 12 per year. It would take 4 to 5 years to finish reading all the tomes.
    No, if that were the case, it would be a simple matter. Reading grimoire one by one was even easier.
    However, Leiv Uvall's duty was not "deciphering a certain grimoire", but "deciphering a System". He must digest all concepts and comprehend all the interrelated phenomena.
    If grimoire A and grimoire B had conflicting views on a certain item, then the content of A must be reviewed.
    The more grimoire he read, the more time he needed to redefine concepts. The number was astronomical.
    Of course, the cause of Leiv's grief was not "exhaustion from reading for so long".
    Rather, he was disgusted by the briefness of his life, which fell short of the time required to comprehensively analyze all the tomes.
    "Short. O so short. My one life time will not suffice!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    "If I'm not mistaken, your research aimed to measure the past?"

"That is correct. Unlike you, it is decidedly standard archaeology. Locating relics, examining them, and interpreting them in modern terms. Gathering evidence and putting together hypotheses on how things must have been until there is no room for debate. Archaeology is a discipline that accurately reconstructs and brings messages from the past back to life. It's the same with astronomy. When you observe the vastness of space, do you not measure distance using the light from the past?"

"It's actually the opposite. The only way to perceive the present is by observing the light from hundreds of millions of light years away. Because for current technology it's safer to rely on 'something that has existed in the past'."

"Ahh, then that is fine. Humans cannot even grasp the present, let alone the future. The only thing certain is the past. By receiving the records of the past we can ascertain 'why the present is here' and change it. The future is something like the answer column of a test; a blank space waiting for someone to fill it out. Worthless in itself, what matters is only the person who fills it."

Leiv Uvall's life was dedicated to filling that blank space.
    Accurately receiving guidance from the past and disseminating it into this era.
    Reproducing the world of the past and its rules in the present day.
    That was Leiv's research. The unshakeable conviction that he had held since he was born.

"My research continues as always. Recording a past that has definitely existed, what I leave behind is my life. Beyond that―――the future after the 22nd century is unworthy of consideration. After all, that would have nothing to do with me."

JP Friend Code
    That actually sounds like the alien god in part 2. HMMMMM

Interesting! Thanks!

Also interesting to see just how much he was screwed up by Goetia's plan. There's very little in common between that guy and the one who willingly became... Flauros, I think?

So if spiritual invocation lets you get power from the throne for a short while, why dont we see mages use that more often?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure who did that, but knowing mages, the answer is probably "only this person's family knows how to do it".

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    It sounds like a shamanistic thing, tbh.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Pretty much.

Well, dealing with spiritual things and possession are two wide-reaching disciplines anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I'm not sure who did that, but knowing mages, the answer is probably "only this person's family knows how to do it".
    Honestly I have to ask, it seems a lot of magiclike gandr or runes are known by other people however knowing other peoples magic is bad according to magi, so why is there even 'common spells' or knowledge in the first place
    Last edited by Byegod; April 29th, 2020 at 03:06 PM.

Gandr is pretty stable since it’s the concept of pointing = cursing. One of the most basic and widespread concepts. I imagine a number of common spells are super stable and useful. Probably isn’t diminished in a way that matters beyond general use since it isn’t like anyone is trying to get to the root with them or focuses on it. And/or they’re just part of how magic energy works like reinforcement not actually being a spell but just what happens when you circulate or fill something with magic energy.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Honestly I have to ask, it seems a lot of magiclike gandr or runes are known by other people however knowing other peoples magic is bad according to magi, so why is there even 'common spells' or knowledge in the first place
    Lessons at the Clock Tower, more specfically General Fundies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower 2k15
    The majority of the magi studied General Fundamentals for about 5 years (which included common magical knowledge, sympathetic magecraft, contagious magecraft, leyline studies, and mana studies), and then enter the Faculty that was associated with the lineage. Magi might also enroll in other Faculties as associates to help further his studies in his own Faculty.
    Quote Originally Posted by case files vol.1
    The majority of magi began their study of magic within the Faculty of General Fundamentals—a Faculty which dealt with the common ground between lineages of magecraft and basic study of the Earth’s Pulse and Mana.
    And patents held by Policies at the Clock Tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by case files vol.2
    "First, the reconstruction of foundational runes that had fallen into decline," I said, dropping one of my fingers. "Rune magecraft itself is quite famous, and a certain portion of magi today have been using and researching it for a tremendous amount of time. However, most of them have been lost to time. Despite that, she was able to recover and reconstruct a large portion of those lost Runes. If the rumors are to be believed, even beyond recovering the 24 Runes of the Futhark alphabet that undergirds the magecraft as a whole, she also managed to parse out a number of Primeval Runes that were supposedly lost back in the Age of Gods. The rights to the former were sold throughout the Clock Tower, while the latter were apparently sealed away for safe keeping in case of her Sealing Designation being fulfilled."

The Clock Tower really pulled no punches.

Comparatively useful or low level formulas were regulated by way of patents, but the high level spells - the kind that could serve as the backbone for an entire faction, were sealed away in a treasure trove somewhere under the pretext of keeping forbidden magecrafts in check.
    (how convenient, this example was about runes)
    Quote Originally Posted by case files vol.4
    For a magus, the secrets behind one's magecraft were like their own life. When someone hadn't claimed a patent for something, it wasn't because it was a trifling piece of magecraft, but because it was too important to risk putting in the hands of other magi. In short, rather than worrying about the problem of rights and patents, the need to conceal it took precedence.

Also, isn't Gandr only Edelfelt/Tohsaka related? Pretty sure what Olga does, while similar, is called something else.

Right, it was magical bullet
    Last edited by All fictions; April 29th, 2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Gandr stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Is there any place online selling the pre Type-Moon doujinshi? I can't seem to find any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    In one case files episode, Waver mentioned it as a general thing

Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    In one case files episode, Waver mentioned it as a general thing
    It feels like a too casual thing to touch the throne for any reason tbh

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    I mean, if you define it as "touching the throne", it sounds a bit bigger than it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSN Prologue
    The ultimate ideal humans have created, the greatest human people have created.
    These are the heroes, the heroic spirits.
    And of course, since they are beyond human, they cannot be controlled by humans.
    A magus usually borrows their power only to mimic them.
    They can't summon the heroic spirits themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by Fate Route - Day 3 - Tohsaka Rin(II)

"Ordinary 'Magecrafts using ghosts' such as Spiritual Evocation and Trance Mediumship can only ask Heroic Spirits for a part of their abilities to make miracles happen, right?["]
    Last edited by All fictions; April 30th, 2020 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Can Sacchin's reality marble kill servants?

Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    I mean, if you define it as "touching the throne", it sounds a bit bigger than it is.
    But still how does that work? the throne is still outside of time and such, hell how would you even talk to them? it just feels far more casusal than everything else involving HS 's involve

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I thought people didn't use Spiritual Evocation to call Heroic Spirits into their bodies because the union would literally incinerate them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    General knowledge about the Mystery actually solidifies it. What diminishes it is understanding.