Page 7468 of 7877 FirstFirst ... 646869687368741874587463746674677468746974707473747875187568 ... LastLast
Results 149,341 to 149,360 of 157539

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    what are some alternative translations for "Reality Marble"?

or is it really the only possible translation for those words in japanese?
    The actual word for it is 固有結界, which means "innate bounded field" (which is pretty self-explanatory), but リアリティ・マーブル is the reading of it given by Nasu, and that can obviously only be read as "Reality Marble". It's sort of like how Noble Phantasm is actually 宝具 (lit. like "precious tools") but Nasu gavea it the reading of ノウブル・ファンタズム.

You'll see he does this with a lot of words, including QTLs, Ultimate One, Art Graph, and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

why does it fuck with the format here lol
    Last edited by fumei; January 4th, 2021 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Does Ciel have a soul? And if so, where did she get it?
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My assumption is that Elesia was born with her own soul, then that was overwritten by Roa, and then she went back to having her own soul but became immortal because Roa forgot to log off his account before leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Does Ciel have a soul? And if so, where did she get it?
    wait, what makes you think that this is in question?

US Friend Code
    Speaking of Nasu's alternate readings, is it
    Saint Graph
    Spirit Origin
    or
    Spirit Origin
    Saint Graph
    ?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Seinto Gurafu/Reiki

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    wait, what makes you think that this is in question?
    When Roa reincarnates, he takes over the body of someone else he deems "worthy," and when they are sufficiently mature his memories/personality reawaken and he "reincarnates." The issue is that Roa is there the whole time, and ostensibly usurps the body from whatever soul it originally would have had. This raises a couple questions: when is a human endowed with a soul? If it is at birth, then one of Roa's hosts never would have had their own soul: Roa's soul would be the only one in the body. If it's before birth, at a time before Roa has transmitted his soul into the baby, then the question becomes: what happens to that soul? Does Roa's soul like, eat it or something? Do they co-exist peacefully (at least until Roa's soul just takes over)? Or is it expelled/suppressed only when Roa takes over?

From what I remember (and it's been a while, so I may not remember very well), there is no latent "human soul" that Roa is fighting against when he takes control of the body. There's just a transitional period where the previous personality is overwritten by Roa's, or at least what's left of it after so many reincarnations. But from the beginning there's still just Roa's soul in the body, not someone else's.

The question for Ciel then becomes, if Roa's soul has been expelled from the body, what happens to her? After all, since Ciel is immortal because "her" soul is Roa's soul and so the world won't let her die before her soul dies, that implies her body just doesn't have a soul of it's own. This raises a lot of questions about how important the soul actually is in the Nasuverse, to the point it makes me think it just can't really be true.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    But from the beginning there's still just Roa's soul in the body, not someone else's.
    Really?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Really?
    From what I remember (and it's been a while, so I may not remember very well)
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I mean, Nasu is heavily inspired by Buddhist philosophy, and pretty much all Buddhist sects deny the existence of a unique soul. The Origin would just be one of the 5 Aggregates, probably the karmic record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Is Shiki basically Akiha's familiar during the story?

Now that I'm thinking about Nasu and Buddhism, I wonder if the Third Magic could be something akin to Nirvana, since it leads to materialization and immortality of the soul, thus cutting one off from the cycle of transmigration?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    When Roa reincarnates, he takes over the body of someone else he deems "worthy," and when they are sufficiently mature his memories/personality reawaken and he "reincarnates." The issue is that Roa is there the whole time, and ostensibly usurps the body from whatever soul it originally would have had. This raises a couple questions: when is a human endowed with a soul? If it is at birth, then one of Roa's hosts never would have had their own soul: Roa's soul would be the only one in the body. If it's before birth, at a time before Roa has transmitted his soul into the baby, then the question becomes: what happens to that soul? Does Roa's soul like, eat it or something? Do they co-exist peacefully (at least until Roa's soul just takes over)? Or is it expelled/suppressed only when Roa takes over?

From what I remember (and it's been a while, so I may not remember very well), there is no latent "human soul" that Roa is fighting against when he takes control of the body. There's just a transitional period where the previous personality is overwritten by Roa's, or at least what's left of it after so many reincarnations. But from the beginning there's still just Roa's soul in the body, not someone else's.

The question for Ciel then becomes, if Roa's soul has been expelled from the body, what happens to her? After all, since Ciel is immortal because "her" soul is Roa's soul and so the world won't let her die before her soul dies, that implies her body just doesn't have a soul of it's own. This raises a lot of questions about how important the soul actually is in the Nasuverse, to the point it makes me think it just can't really be true.
    I don't have a direct answer to any of that but I do have an important detail that's worth mentioning.

Ciel is openly stated to have been born in 1976. Judging by her disguise as 3rd year student, it's safe to assume her body grew until the age of 17 until she was taken over by Roa and killed by Arcueid. That places her death as 1993.

SHIKI is older than Shiki, so that a minimum, he's also 16 in 2000 like him. That puts SHIKI's minimum birth year at 1984. In conclusion, SHIKI was at least 9 years old when Roa reincarnated in him.

Huh, so Roa kind of kills his hosts when he reincarnates, keeping them stuck at the point it happened?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle CompositeGNFNR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if it's like a snake shedding its skin, in this case the skin being the original soul and Ciel's was still in the process, or attached.

I'm perhaps reading too much into the snake aspect.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CompositeGNFNR View Post
    Wonder if it's like a snake shedding its skin, in this case the skin being the original soul and Ciel's was still in the process, or attached.

I'm perhaps reading too much into the snake aspect.
    Doubtful, considering his epithet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    Is Shiki basically Akiha's familiar during the story?
    Functionally yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    SHIKI is older than Shiki, so that a minimum, he's also 16 in 2000 like him. That puts SHIKI's minimum birth year at 1984. In conclusion, SHIKI was at least 9 years old when Roa reincarnated in him.
    That is interesting and relevant information.

I realized the SHIKI situation was a bit of a weird one, what with Roa being unable to take control of the body at all during the Far Side routes, but I had chalked that up to a result of the Inversion Impulse rather than SHIKI himself being any sort of resilient. And while I do think that's still the case, it's pretty hard to argue SHIKI doesn't have a soul for the first nine years of his life.

That kind of resolves where Ciel's soul "came from," if she has one. It does raise an interesting question about multiple souls inhabiting a single body. Is there any indication of that having happened in canon? Aside from Roa obviously, the only possible example I can think of off the top of my head is the Ryougi family, but I feel like that's not quite what's happening there.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't there something about how if there's two souls in one vessel, the stronger one wins? Maybe Archer's arm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    maybe 'becoming-Roa' is something like what having avalon implanted does to shirou
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty