Page 7733 of 7875 FirstFirst ... 673372337633768377237728773177327733773477357738774377837833 ... LastLast
Results 154,641 to 154,660 of 157483

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Gehennahem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartz View Post
    So based on the stuff You posted, an alien has to come from beyond the solar system in order not to be bound by current AoM's logic?
    If I remember Notes correctly, I highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    ??? Why would there be another one when Voyager fulfills that exact function?
    Because more than one anchors of the world in earth.
    Same should be for cosmos. Likewise if it was one and only it would have ranked EX instead of B

US Friend Code
    Haruri, Beryl, and Proto Ayaka's magecrafts are all translated as "witchcraft", but are they really all the same thing or do they have different names in the original Japanese?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Haruri, Beryl and Proto Ayaka's witchcraft are all the same as Celenike's and Ritsuka's. Riddell's modern witchcraft also uses the same 黒魔術 name.

US Friend Code
    Thanks. I always assumed at least one of them was something else that was just being translated to witchcraft, like how a few different things have been called "shamanism".

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    The Philosophy Foundation is a pseudo-Root in the sense that it's a large reservoir of knowledge and mystical stuff. But it's not everything in the way the Root is, it's "just" the sum total knowledge of the Xians who made it, and Chinese mages access it like a library to cast spells. Your Philosophy Key (which they have instead of magic Crests) determines what wing of the library you're allowed to check out books (cast spells) from.
    Then why call it the root. it makes no sense

The root is supposed to be literally everything, its a oxymoron to call it that, you cant have two seperate 'everythings'

It just seems like a way to justify some parts of actual chinese/asian stuff like the taiji in a way that rubs up really badly with the OC parts of the setting.

And tbh i kinda wonder how that all works with earlier asian servants and lore (outside the fact that i have heavy suspicions that this idea literally only came into being like.. 2018-2019 as its never mentioned nor doesnt 100% fit some bits of lore)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post

The root is supposed to be literally everything, its a oxymoron to call it that, you cant have two seperate 'everythings'
    Probably why it's called pseudo-Root, not outright THE Root. It's just an analogue.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    That's what the pseudo part of "pseudo-Root" is for.

And tbh i kinda wonder how that all works with earlier asian servants and lore (outside the fact that i have heavy suspicions that this idea literally only came into being like.. 2018-2019 as its never mentioned nor doesnt 100% fit some bits of lore)
    Mainland Asia having a particular magecraft has been a thing for years, even the name:
    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Period (2004)
    Also, they are fundamentally incompatible with the magecraft foundation of the Middle East and the ideological magecraft of mainland China, and the three groups are currently feigning nonaggression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fate Encyclopedia (2005)
    Also, they are fundamentally incompatible with the magecraft foundation of the Middle East and the ideological magecraft of mainland China, and the three groups are currently feigning nonaggression.
    I'm not saying the whole Philosophical Foundation was planned since then, or even since Nasu did his whole worldbuilding shakeup regarding Church and Association circa 2010, but I doubt it came out of nowhere, certainly not as recently as barely one year before the first Adventures volume. That's way too cynical.

And what earlier Asian Servants put a doubt to it? Sasaki? Tamamo? Lü Bu? Shirou Amakusa? How early are we talking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sasaki, Tamamo, and Amakusa are Japanese, and Lu Bu is not a mage. It has to be Nezha, Chen Gong, Shi Huang, or Akuta. Maybe the tactician and Guifei too.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    "earlier asian servants and lore" made me think it implied pre-FGO stuff, since it tends to be used as the breakoff point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I see. I was count pre-Heian because that's the first "modern" mention of Philosophy Magecraft.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Sasaki, Tamamo, and Amakusa are Japanese, and Lu Bu is not a mage. It has to be Nezha, Chen Gong, Shi Huang, or Akuta. Maybe the tactician and Guifei too.
    Tamamo can use Xian art tho. Used it to regain the 9 tails in CCC, Koyan also could use it due to copying Tamamo. The fox pretty much could use Dakini-ten magic (Hindu/Buddhism), Onmyoudou (Shinto) and Xian arts (Taoism) all at the same time. The perk of being a syncretic entity of those religions.

Tho I think back then it was not exactly fleshed out, or was one of those "taoist arts" kind of stuffs that doesn't require a Philosophy key. It seems that the idea of a detailed system (the key and the foundation) only got fleshed out during FGO time. Prior to that it was one of those vaguely detailed and unexplained magical stuffs placeholder where the name and the general idea is there but only will get a focus once explanations are really required. They probably did not expect the series to explode and the amount of characters required will increase exponentially with FGO.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; October 3rd, 2022 at 11:53 PM.

US Friend Code
    I'm not even sure it being called a pseudo-Root is even an "official" term used by the Guan. It might have just been Rin using an analogy in her explanation, same as the library comparison was.

US Friend Code
    As far as whether the Philosophy Foundation contradicts characters introduced before then, the Chinese mages before it were

-Zhuge Liang
    -Sima Yi
    -Chen Gong
    -Is Sanzang a mage?
    -Paisen but she's a Xian
    -QSH, but he's wonky because Lostbelt

And 1) do we know if they were mages in life or their powers are Servant-exclusive (except QSH and Paisen) and b) do we know they don't use it? They never mentioned it but I don't think they've ever said anything about having Crests either.

- - - Updated - - -

muh merge

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Taigong Wang did retroactively acknowledge that the Three Kingdom tacticians practiced Fangshi(same as Taoist Arts?) in his My Room lines. Notable that it's one of the rare instances where Zhuge Liang surfaced, to warn Taigong to be careful discussing it around people from Clock Tower.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Xuanzang is a Buddhist monk so she's only a mage in the same vague sense that priests and Executors are mages. Sima Yi has nothing implying he was mage. Zhuge Liang is only acknowledged as a mage in Traum, so post-Adventures, and the Stone Maze Sentinel he uses as his NP is a Qimon Dunjia spell Xu Fu can access with her Philosophy Key. And Chen Gong wasn't a mage but was an inheritor of Mystic Codes he couldn't use.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, right, I forgot Taigong's lines.

JP Friend Code
    I'm not even sure it being called a pseudo-Root is even an "official" term used by the Guan. It might have just been Rin using an analogy in her explanation, same as the library comparison was.
    Ziya called it "本源たる太極".

Inb4 本源 here is actually 本 + the 源 in 根源, where 本 functions as a determiner similar to "our". So it's actually "our (version of the) Root" lol. 本 also serves as the book analogy too.

JP Friend Code
    As far as whether the Philosophy Foundation contradicts characters introduced before then, the Chinese mages before it were

-Zhuge Liang
    -Sima Yi
    -Chen Gong
    -Is Sanzang a mage?
    -Paisen but she's a Xian
    -QSH, but he's wonky because Lostbelt

And 1) do we know if they were mages in life or their powers are Servant-exclusive (except QSH and Paisen) and b) do we know they don't use it? They never mentioned it but I don't think they've ever said anything about having Crests either.
    You don't always need to be a mage with a key to use Taoist arts. Just like some servants are not mages but can still use some amount of magecraft. And you can train to use it regardless of whether you are a human or a yokai or a god or a Xian. Sure if you obtain a key then you can access more juicy stuffs in the library cuz you are more trained and refined, but you can also obtain knowledge of how to use it from other places. So you have various things like Fangshi, Xian arts, Neidan, Philosophy Magecraft and even some concepts of Chinese martial arts seen with Li Shuwen based on the same principles of Taoism. Which one actually requires you to pull directly from the library using a membership key everytime you activate the spell is still not very clear tbh, since QSH pulls from the Fusang tree and Zhang Jiao got it from the book.

US Friend Code
    So Fangshi=Taoist Arts=Philosophy Magecraft?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Taigong in Tunguska: Fangshi=Xian Arts
    Xu Fu's profile: Fangshi = Tao Arts
    Also Xu Fu's profile: Tao Arts is one kind of Philosophy Magecraft and Xu Fu's Philosophy Key is pretty restricted if she can only use that.
    IRL logic: Xian Arts is a level above Tao Arts

So Fangshi covers both Xian and Tao, but it's unclear if it's synonimous with PM as a whole or if it also gets the "one kind" treatment.