Page 7369 of 7877 FirstFirst ... 6369686972697319735973647367736873697370737173747379741974697869 ... LastLast
Results 147,361 to 147,380 of 157539

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    so isn't Gil's apparent foolishness out of ego actually a pretty wise response in regards to managing that ability?
    He can turn it on and off at will, and its use doesn't seem to have such a downside.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Besides, I'm pretty sure Ophelia's passiveness is a personality thing, not a side effect of the Mystic Eyes of Delay. Her Mystic Eyes already have too many downsides even without that.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Besides, I'm pretty sure Ophelia's passiveness is a personality thing.
    Yeah, I saw part of her character arc on LB2 as that of the character that needs to take a step forward but is too afraid for it. The problem is that when she finally took that step (on the battle against Surtr) she die after instead of showing us how she could advance on her story. But that's part of the A Team motif, I guess, that they didn't get to be the MC of FGO

Besides, I'm pretty sure Ophelia's passiveness is a personality thing, not a side effect of the Mystic Eyes of Delay. Her Mystic Eyes already have too many downsides even without that.
    What are the downsides of the eye?

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Considering how long she has been experimented on and how much influence the Mystic Eyes had on her life, why couldn't it be both, and both sort of feed into each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    What are the downsides of the eye?
    She sees multiple possibilities of the future and can choose one of them not to happen, but only one, so that's pretty easy to counter.
    She can't, for example, stop people from clearing an obstacle that allows more than one attempt, since she can prevent the future where they clear it on the first try but can't prevent the future where they clear it on the second.
    In the final battle against her
    Surtr
    Sigurd
    , she stops the worst case scenario of "Brynhildr wins against her Saber, killing him", but Bryn already knew Ophelia would do that, so she burned herself to death to go unobstructed with the second worst case scenario of "Brynhildr ties against her Saber, killing him".

Also, in the hypothetic scenario that she took off her eyepatch inside the Coffin, she still wouldn't be able to survive Lev's explosion because there's a fuckton of possibilities where she dies and barely any where she lives.

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That sounds really weak.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ophelia can use it pretty competently until the moment the moment we know how it works, but yes, once the trick is revealed it straight up sucks.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important downside. Since this Mystic Eye was made by a Norse mage family doing Sixth Imaginary Element (Devil) Evocation research, the future sight can sometimes connects her to Surtr for a chat and the eye works as an unavoidable catalyst for Surtr's summon. Even when Ophelia used a proper catalyst to summon Sigurd, she still had her eye in her socket, so Surtr came inside her Sigurd's body. She's kinda doomed the moment she tries to summon a Servant, since she's physically unable to get anyone without Surtr in it.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    That must've made Wodime's clear with her pretty awkward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    That must've made Wodime's clear with her pretty awkward.
    Unless just he did the summoning.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    This might be a stupid question, but I've been replaying Hollow Ataraxia (the only things left are the Eclipse scenes) and feel as though I can't possibly refrain from asking something that has been on my mind ever since I first read it, years ago:

Who the hell wrote Rin's Eclipse scene?

It is miles beyond any sex scene in any Type-Moon work, ever. It feels humane, heartwarming AND genuinely believable. It is the only H-scene in their entire oeuvre that doesn't feel as though it was written by someone who has never had sex before, and while the whole "girl is shy because she secretly thinks she is disgusting" thing feels a bit cliché, the payoff from it is handled so earnestly that one can't help but smile.

Was it Nasu? Because if he can write sex scenes like this, I will never forgive him for forcing me to suffer through those things from the original VN (I can't bring myself to skip anything, ever).
    Last edited by Benderesco; April 26th, 2020 at 01:44 AM.

Ophelia can use it pretty competently until the moment the moment we know how it works, but yes, once the trick is revealed it straight up sucks.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important downside. Since this Mystic Eye was made by a Norse mage family doing Sixth Imaginary Element (Devil) Evocation research, the future sight can sometimes connects her to Surtr for a chat and the eye works as an unavoidable catalyst for Surtr's summon. Even when Ophelia used a proper catalyst to summon Sigurd, she still had her eye in her socket, so Surtr came inside her Sigurd's body. She's kinda doomed the moment she tries to summon a Servant, since she's physically unable to get anyone without Surtr in it.
    So I remember people saying she didnt have free will due to the future sight or was that bull? like she hated sundays due to it or was that more just normal magi stuff

Hmm would the eye connect her to panhuman surtr in normal circumstances

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    She hates Sundays because it's the one day on the week she gets to interact with her parents as people instead of as magi and that makes it harder for her to convince herself that she and her parents love each other. Like, she internalized that it's okay for her to be a guinea pig because because her parents are great and respectable mages doing what any respectable mage would, but on the one day they're not being mages, the farce falls apart and Ophelia sorta has to confront the facts that she hates her life until it's Monday again and business is back as usual.

She hates Sundays because it's the one day on the week she gets to interact with her parents as people instead of as magi and that makes it harder for her to convince herself that she and her parents love each other. Like, she internalized that it's okay for her to be a guinea pig because because her parents are great and respectable mages doing what any respectable mage would, but on the one day they're not being mages, the farce falls apart and Ophelia sorta has to confront the facts that she hates her life until it's Monday again and business is back as usual.
    Then where the hell did i hear her future sight robbed her of free will, I remembers omeone say they reason she hates sunday is because they just leave her alone that day so she has no orders to move around so just rots in her will

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No idea. She is indeed passive to a terribly unhealthy degree (at least until the last moments of her life) but that's not a side effect of her eyes. She just is like that for pretty much the same reasons Mash was at first, which why she cares so much about her.

In the final battle against her
    Surtr
    Sigurd
    , she stops the worst case scenario of "Brynhildr wins against her Saber, killing him", but Bryn already knew Ophelia would do that, so she burned herself to death to go unobstructed with the second worst case scenario of "Brynhildr ties against her Saber, killing him".

really, from what i remember seeing it from that scene, Bryhn needed to go extremely beyond her limits to break through the powers of her eye and it was more a situation of Bryhn made all possibilities become one. because she wanted to kill Sigurd so bad because of their shared destiny, so there was only 1 possible outcome possible and that caused her eye to not activate

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Then where the hell did i hear her future sight robbed her of free will, I remembers omeone say they reason she hates sunday is because they just leave her alone that day so she has no orders to move around so just rots in her will
    Probably here:

Quote Originally Posted by fallacies on Reddit
    Possibly as a result of her perception -- per the explanation of Universes of Record -- Ophelia found herself lacking in independent volition; she could not bring herself to act of her own accord. Thus, on Sundays, when no expectations were imposed upon her, she was entirely unable to act.
    Doesn't explicitly say that she had no free will because of her future sight, but I could understand how one would read it that way. That's certainly how I first interpreted it.

Having future sight robbing one of their free will is also kind of a repeating theme in Type Moon, so it's not really an unreasonable assumption to make in any case. From what Comun said it doesn't seem to be the case here, though.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Probably here:

Doesn't explicitly say that she had no free will because of her future sight, but I could understand how one would read it that way. That's certainly how I first interpreted it.

Having future sight robbing one of their free will is also kind of a repeating theme in Type Moon, so it's not really an unreasonable assumption to make in any case. From what Comun said it doesn't seem to be the case here, though.
    Thing is, even if the Mystic Eyes deprive her of only any independent volition, it could be said that she felt herself deprived of free will since she could see the future, which combined with her parents' experimentation could have the effect of making her naturally passive. I don't think it's possible to separate natural passiveness from any Mystic Eyes related angst.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question: is Marisbury actually dead in FSN timelines?

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't think we've seen anything to indicate he's dead. We do know he didn't participate in the HGW (and thus never got involved with Chaldea?) so his previous cause of death certainly didn't happen again.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

I ask because whenever Olgamarie and Trisha mention him, it seems like he's either dead or functionally dead to Olgamarie.