Page 7399 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 639968997299734973897394739773987399740074017404740974497499 ... LastLast
Results 147,961 to 147,980 of 157513

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    [...] and the True Devils are literal fallen angels and I believe have never been not incarnate.
    How does that work in a setting where apparently the god of Abrahamic religions doesn't exist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    He's not casting a spell that makes him faster, he's casting a spell that makes time move faster/slower for him then for everyone else.
    Would there even be a difference in practical terms? Whether I'm moving faster because of Martian physiology or because I'm empowered by a semi-sentient extradimensional force which is the physical manifestation of the very concept of speed, the end result is still that I'm moving faster.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    How does that work in a setting where apparently the god of Abrahamic religions doesn't exist?
    But he does exist in TM. He's essential to the plot of FGO part 1.

Poor Solomon, so easily have you been forgotten

I am pretty sure the Christian God exists.
    Not necessarily the angry old man with a beard, but certainly as a concept.
    Even if God doesn't exist, the Catholic Church has enough of a Foundation for the concept of God to exist.

Would there even be a difference in practical terms? Whether I'm moving faster because of Martian physiology or because I'm empowered by a semi-sentient extradimensional force which is the physical manifestation of the very concept of speed, the end result is still that I'm moving faster.
    No there's no practical difference. The end result is just moving faster.
    Kiritsugu is just doing it in a very sophisticated way by distorting the concept of time internally, which is pretty high level magecraft.

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    For further context on the demon stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Mats
    True Demon [circumstances] P190
    Even in the Extra world, things which fall under the category of demons are treated as the greatest obstacle to mankind’s continued existence.
    Humans think of God as a being who is all-knowing and all-powerful, but a demon is an existence that cannot be comprehended through human intelligence or knowledge.
    The concept of what a demon truly is lay within reach, but it is part of an abyss that is impossible to truly comprehend.
    In Fate/stay night, the only demons that appear are fakes; humans could never match up to a true flesh-and-blood incarnated demon.
    (There’s only one record of a flesh-and-blood incarnated demon being dispelled, but that’s another story).
    Demons are normally said to be beings which possess humans and try to make a human body their own, but the mind of any human they posses to make their own is unable to bear the great burden, and so the body and demon end up disintegrating into pieces which spread evil power into the surroundings.
    This definition of demon also includes humans who have lost their humanity due to their actions and as a result fall into the same category as demons. However a human who has transformed into a demon is not a True Demon.
    In the EXTRA world, in present day 2030, a True Demon has never been successfully born into the world, this includes through demons possessing humans and humans transforming into demons through their actions.
    We talk about demons and humans transformed into demons, but really as far as we are concerned demons are no different than beings from a higher dimension that are also from a different planet with a different civilization. No matter where you go in the known universe, they would never be recognized as “people.”
    The existence of a True Demon is close to that of the evil gods from a certain fictional mythology that was popular in the twentieth century.
    In the True End Route of CCC, a certain reincarnated person who is essentially attained True Demon level loses their seat as a god due to a clumsy mistake.

Look, I know the Nasuverse takes the whole concept of "everything humans have ever believed in is real in some form or another, and OH MY GOD IS THAT A MOON MADE OF CHEESE?!" and runs with it faster than the Flash, but the existence of actual fallen angels has a bunch of cosmological and theological implications which go beyond "Solomon is a Heroic Spirit who had one of his legends conceptualised as a Noble Phantasm that erases him from the Throne of Heroes".

Angels are a big theme in the first case files, might be worth checking out?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The Abrahamic God is part of Type-Moon as the power source for pretty all of the Holy Church's tricks, and as a voice in Solomon's and Jeanne's heads telling them what to do (through the former's entire life and only a few times during crucial points of the war to the latter). And this is only the confirmed and acknowledged part. We should reasonably assume God was also present as a voice in David's and Moises' head to, for example.

But of course, I don't believe His presence will extend anywhere beyond that because Nasu knows better than starting this kind of controversy.

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    Clearly, Karl's beliefs in Link and Gilles being in his squad means that YHWH's just Velber wearing a fake mustache.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Look, I know the Nasuverse takes the whole concept of "everything humans have ever believed in is real in some form or another, and OH MY GOD IS THAT A MOON MADE OF CHEESE?!" and runs with it faster than the Flash, but the existence of actual fallen angels has a bunch of cosmological and theological implications which go beyond "Solomon is a Heroic Spirit who had one of his legends conceptualised as a Noble Phantasm that erases him from the Throne of Heroes".
    Yeah but it's not even conceptualized legends, Solomon actually worked for God his entire life, and then God also orchestrated his summoning in the Fuyuki Grail War by making sure he left a ring behind to become the catalyst for Olga's dad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeadDemon View Post
    YHWH's just Velber wearing a fake mustache.
    one of the velbers is just an old dude with a beard

oh god oh fuck

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    i was thinking of RMs that turn inwards.

where can i read more about IRL religious or ideological thought on a person being a world or universe unto themselves?
    Antonio de Saint Exupéry: Citadelle , translated into EN as Wisdom of the Sands

There are a couple of ways to interpret the demon conundrum.

1) "True" demons exist independently of mankind's imagining of them and can be considered as eldritch 'beings' or forces. Demons of the sixth imaginary substance - that is, the ones that possess people and the Church considers to be "real", attain a form through the wishes and desires of the possessed humans, and may be able to ascend to the level of a "true" demon if fully incarnate ie. impossible to exorcise, warping the world around them. A human's self-transformation into a demon cannot produce a "true" demon. This resolves the passage in Hollow that describes incarnated demons as ""true" while also allowing for Extra's definition of "true", but doesn't answer the question of how the sixth substance operates in non-demon related contexts.

2) "True" demons exist independently of mankind's imagining of them and can be considered as eldritch 'beings' or forces; crucially, they may also possess humans and "incarnate" - it is safe to assume they do not depend on the sixth imaginary substance to achieve this. Demons of the sixth imaginary substance usurp the human idea of a "demon" and take root in them under that name and form; the possession of a shapeless force that is given form through imagination, wishes, and desires (one comparison is Merem's so-called demons, which are wishes given form through the lens of human imagination, yet must remain nameless to remain subservient). In this model, the "true" demons provide the template of the demon in the minds of humans and may possess them, while the demons born of the sixth imaginary substance are fakes that take up the guise of demons to assume their form. This doesn't answer the question of the sixth substance in the context of mystic eyes, but a more open definition where a dependence on the ideas imagined/invented by humans exists could help.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    i was thinking of RMs that turn inwards.

where can i read more about IRL religious or ideological thought on a person being a world or universe unto themselves?
    genre-milestone post-ironic New Sincere sociopolital multimedia manifest Disco Elysium

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Angels are a big theme in the first case files, might be worth checking out?
    It's on my list!

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    The Abrahamic God is part of Type-Moon as the power source for pretty all of the Holy Church's tricks, and as a voice in Solomon's and Jeanne's heads telling them what to do (through the former's entire life and only a few times during crucial points of the war to the latter).
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Yeah but it's not even conceptualized legends, Solomon actually worked for God his entire life, and then God also orchestrated his summoning in the Fuyuki Grail War by making sure he left a ring behind to become the catalyst for Olga's dad.
    Hold on, are those objectively confirmed by the narrative, or is it just a matter of characters believing something? Didn't KnK have Touko speculating the voices Jeanne d'Arc heard came from the Counter Force, for instance?

Hold on, are those objectively confirmed by the narrative, or is it just a matter of characters believing something? Didn't KnK have Touko speculating the voices Jeanne d'Arc heard came from the Counter Force, for instance?
    What's "real" in Nasuverse is very fluid. It's basically Warhammer 40K-esque.

If enough people believe red ones go faster, then red ones go faster.

Even if angry bearded white man does not exist in the sky, he still exists because enough people believe in the Catholic Church. Invoking his name will grant you the power stated in the bible and sacraments.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    You tread dangerous ground of YHWH both clearly having the properties of divine spirit and clearly getting special respect, what with the Denial of Nothingness meme and in general the way magi approach Christianity.

- - - Updated - - -

No one ever wants to have this discussion with me, and it's one of the few times I'm not shitposting!

Well, there's a chance YHWH was a space robot and there's a chance that YHWH was all make-believe.

It really doesn't matter because you can smite people with holy fire and burn vampires with scriptures.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't have the time to hunt down quotes right now but it seemed very explicit to me. Unless we assume some unknown third party with the ability to predict the future impersonated God to manipulate Solomon.

I also don't think the Counter Force's MO fits in either case.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    some unknown third party with the ability to predict the future impersonated God to manipulate Solomon.
    This sounds exactly like the MO of the Counter Force lol.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    That's because if they went all the way and said Alaya is just rewriting reality to accommodate for human understandings and desires and all laws of physics in the universe inluding everything on the planet that should be Gaia's domain works by the rules of logos imprinted on it by humanity/Alaya in the first place (see LB5 astrophysics), that road leads to a very cringe fedora place.