Page 7475 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 647569757375742574657470747374747475747674777480748575257575 ... LastLast
Results 149,481 to 149,500 of 157504

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    People in the Nibelungenlied already thought it was a good idea. Greed trumps self-preservation and all that.
    True, but with the Nibelungenlied in mind, I'm sure most in the know would think twice before taking it, unless they didn't believe in curses.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, that seems pretty logical. People can be stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Of course the family run by a magical AI would think owning cursed gold is a good idea. Actually, I'm pretty sure only magi would take it without really foreseeing the consequences, even knowing that it's cursed.
    To be fair, the curse is something useful for magecraft.

The grail probably needs something like the Rhinegold to function at all. It's something that brings heroes, and something that has power over the world.

If you want to make something that brings servants (heroes) you need something that well, brings heroes. Round Table, the Argo, maybe a picture of Helen or a piece of the walls of Troy so on.

Otherwise the two hints of "Rhinegold" and being "Real Homunculi" mentioned in F/HA unlike any others, I'd say hints to their history quite well. There's a lot of speculation to be had.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    People in the Nibelungenlied already thought it was a good idea. Greed trumps self-preservation and all that.
    True, but with the Nibelungenlied in mind, I'm sure most in the know would think twice before taking it, unless they didn't believe in curses. Actually, that seems pretty logical. People can be stupid.
    FWIW, the cursed "Das Rheingold" treasure is from Richard Wagner's opera Der Ring des Nibelungen and not the poem Nibelungenlied.

Carry on.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    einzberns probably paid wagner to spread disinfo about it. opsec 101.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Maybe, or they paid Ludwig to pay Wagner.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Imagine the irony of Wagner getting paid in Rhinegold.

Yeah, but I think it'd make more sense that Mad King Ludwig was paid in Rhinegold, considering how his life ended up. That's a Rhinegold fate right there.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, but if the Rhinegold is probably what's responsible for all the Grail Wars going pear-shaped, then how did that not happen in the FGO timeline, unless Marisbury not using it to achieve the Third Magic counts as an effect of the curse on the Einzberns.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    FWIW, the cursed "Das Rheingold" treasure is from Richard Wagner's opera Der Ring des Nibelungen and not the poem Nibelungenlied.

Carry on.
    The cursed gold was present in Norse version of the story though.

True, and I think that might be where Wagner got it from.

US Friend Code
    The original Norse legends had Andvari's cursed gold but the term Rheingold, and association with the Rhine river and Rhinemaidens, were I'm pretty sure inventions of Wagner inspired by Andvari's gold.

In Nasuland Siegfried had the Rheingold and Sigurd did not.

Wait, so Sigurd did not get Andvari's hoard after killing his Fafnir?

US Friend Code
    FZ AU where Kerry's Servant is Siegfried summoned using the gold as a catalyst

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, so Sigurd did not get Andvari's hoard after killing his Fafnir?
    He may have, I'm not sure, but if he did it was not the Rheingold. The Rheingold is inspired by Andvari's gold but not the same thing, in the same way Siegfried's story is inspired by Sigurd's but there are several differences.

Ah, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    FZ AU where Kerry's Servant is Siegfried summoned using the gold as a catalyst
    Lol. Siegfried would be a near perfect Servant for Kerry, though the latter might be unnerved that he has two Maiyas. Also, the gold would screw him over double time. Dude's already unlucky af.

US Friend Code
    Just to clarify here
    In the Norse myths Andvari's gold was gold that he found by using his ring Andvaranaut. After they were stolen from him by Loki, Andvari cursed the ring to bring misfortune to whoever held it.
    In Wagner's operas the Rheingold is located on the riverbed of the Rhine and watched over by the Rhinemaiden river spirits. The dwarf Alberich steals it and makes part of it into a ring, then later curses it when Wotan (Odin) takes it from him.

In both cases the gods took the gold to pay Fafnir a ransom when he was holding other gods captive. In myth Fafnir was a dwarf, and in Wagner he was a giant. In both he then turns into a dragon to protect the treasure.

Obvious inspiration but not exactly the same.
    Last edited by Reign; January 19th, 2021 at 01:10 AM.

US Friend Code
    Was Camlann 10 or 20 years after Saber pulled out Caliburn? Is she 25 or 35? I've never been clear and am pretty sure I've seen both be talked about.

I always thought it was 10, but who knows? 20'd make more sense timeline-wise, if we're talking Arthurian canon.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wait, but if the Rhinegold is probably what's responsible for all the Grail Wars going pear-shaped, then how did that not happen in the FGO timeline, unless Marisbury not using it to achieve the Third Magic counts as an effect of the curse on the Einzberns.
    you answered your own question
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    I mean the GO war looks like it went pretty pear-shaped to me. The whole city was on fire.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Was Camlann 10 or 20 years after Saber pulled out Caliburn? Is she 25 or 35? I've never been clear and am pretty sure I've seen both be talked about.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOA Chapter 3
    After Vortigern's death, Britain's civil war came to a temporary end. Camelot castle was finished, the seats of the Round Table filled, and the King took Guinevere as queen.
    Of course, it was a marriage in name only.
    The King revealed her sex to Guinevere, yet Guinevere accepted the secret so that Britain could have its ruler. No, she had no choice but to accept it. Guinevere was wise. She knew the effort King Arthur spent on quelling the civil war, and at the same time respected King Arthur from the bottom of her heart. After all, during the ten year between the drawing of the sword of selection and the defeat of the Usurper King, she had idolized King Arthur from the shadows.
    This magus cannot fathom the queen's feelings on the night her ten years of pinning came to fruition, only to be told the truth. It must be like the moment you are about to obtain something you love, you are told it is fake, and you will never have it.
    10 years to kill Vort
    10 years of rule
    Saber is 35
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    But if the Rhinegold exists, then Siegfried has to be real, which we're led to believe he wasn't. Two guys having life stories this similar is funny, but you can only kill Fafnir once.

Unless the Rhinegold was the gold Sigurd retrieved, which then retroactively became cursed thanks to Wagner.