Page 7496 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 649669967396744674867491749474957496749774987501750675467596 ... LastLast
Results 149,901 to 149,920 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    That’s a very popular theory. Emiya Alter’s S3 is actually named “Derisive Heart of Steel” in JP, which invites “Mind of Steel” comparisons

US Friend Code
    Is Tamamo's mirror supposed to be the imperial treasure one? Because of the Amaterasu connection?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, according to Extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Keywords
    01 - The Eightfold Blessing of Amaterasu
    A mirror wielded by Tamamo-no-Mae. It is one of the sacred treasures brought down from the Heavens by the god Takehinateru-no-Mikoto and was oringally kept in the great shrine in the Izumo Province. According to passages in the Chronicles of Japan, the mirror was later moved to a site in the Kawachi district as the behest of the Imperial Court.

The mirror is also known as Yata-no-Kagami and is frequently used in rites honoring the sun goddess Amaterasu.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Arete's Avatar
    I rather enjoy the parallels to other games but don't know much about Melty Blood. Other than Sion, what are some of the parallels between FGO and Melty Blood? And is Captain one of them?

Or maybe a better question is that what things might we expect to be paralleled with Melty Blood? I remember some people on another thread here mentioning a world egg which sounds interesting.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    We're talking specifically about Dust of Osiris harnessing the dream nature of Tatari provided by WLen, and the power of math, to make her impossible plan a reality through simple juxtaposition. From the perspective of a dreamer, how can you know what reality is?

The parallel in that case would be that both Melty and FGO are set in Magical Christmas Land that doesn't exist. They create these elaborate fake worlds based on the real one, in an unreachable and secure bubble, and hope to have them replace reality. The Lostbelt is the egg, when it hatches, the bird flies to god, the god's name is Abraxas. So long as the base of the world is solid, the rest of the universe will have to adjust (even if cosmology would be wildly different, like in case of Olympus).

And the end of the ritual, equally in case of Dust of Osiris, Goetia, and Alien God, it will be as if nothing had happened in the first place.
    - In Misaki, people wake from a really wild dream, or the entire world is now a field of emerald tablets containing a recording of humanity that has always been there.
    - In FGO Part 1, the old world will be replaced by Made in Heaven as Goetia intended, or Guda returns to Chaldea which has undergone an accident, and only a bunch of inconsistencies on Chaldeas and Da Vinci/Mashu's accounts will be able to prove what they just spent a year doing. Well, that and the planet having moved a year ahead astrologically.
    - In FGO Part 2, the Alien God will descend on one of the Lostbelts that will have always been the only reality that exists, or Guda will only have the sabotage as proof... probably, unless they pull 'part 2 Chaldea is also a lostbelt'.
    Last edited by Ratman; April 21st, 2021 at 07:40 PM.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    What was the issue with the dates in Rakkyo again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    We're talking specifically about Dust of Osiris harnessing the dream nature of Tatari provided by WLen, and the power of math, to make her impossible plan a reality through simple juxtaposition. From the perspective of a dreamer, how can you know what reality is?

The parallel in that case would be that both Melty and FGO are set in Magical Christmas Land that doesn't exist. They create these elaborate fake worlds based on the real one, in an unreachable and secure bubble, and hope to have them replace reality. The Lostbelt is the egg, when it hatches, the bird flies to god, the god's name is Abraxas. So long as the base of the world is solid, the rest of the universe will have to adjust (even if cosmology would be wildly different, like in case of Olympus).

And the end of the ritual, equally in case of Dust of Osiris, Goetia, and Alien God, it will be as if nothing had happened in the first place.
    - In Misaki, people wake from a really wild dream, or the entire world is now a field of emerald tablets containing a recording of humanity that has always been there.
    - In FGO Part 1, the old world will be replaced by Made in Heaven as Goetia intended, or Guda returns to Chaldea which has undergone an accident, and only a bunch of inconsistencies on Chaldeas and Da Vinci/Mashu's accounts will be able to prove what they just spent a year doing. Well, that and the planet having moved a year ahead astrologically.
    - In FGO Part 2, the Alien God will descend on one of the Lostbelts that will have always been the only reality that exists, or Guda will only have the sabotage as proof... probably, unless they pull 'part 2 Chaldea is also a lostbelt'.
    Interesting...

Your description of the world egg sounds similar to Mara and Kiara's plans, trying to outside of reality and then substitute the artificial reality they created with the real one. Though I suppose with Mara it was more an overlay than complete rewrite.

Once again I cross paths with the name Abraxas. Is he an actual figure in Melty Blood or something merely hinted at? I've tried looking into him a bit, things get complicated pretty fast. I suppose Abraxas is more of a title than an identity and just having that name wouldn't really say much about them at the end of the day. Still, it'd be good to know if others think that path is worth pursuing or if he might be part of the Foreign God.

Might we get a Dust of Osiris figure then given we have Shion and something attacking us from the future? Her purpose in the story, beyond fanservice, seems rather confusing.

You mean her purpose isnt just the Black Barrel?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No, I definitely agree with Ratman that Logos React is far more relevant than Black Barrel here. And maybe all parallels with Olga as woman on a huge downward spiral of personality and social interactions due to a family legacy that works on very similar goals and methods. The stated goals on the Animusphere side might be just front, but Olga was clearly out of the loop in her debut, so it still counts.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arete View Post
    Your description of the world egg sounds similar to Mara and Kiara's plans, trying to outside of reality and then substitute the artificial reality they created with the real one. Though I suppose with Mara it was more an overlay than complete rewrite.
    For Mara, that would be exactly right, but she doesn't need to rely on a gnostic idea when she's an Indian character. For Kiara I'm not so sure.

Once again I cross paths with the name Abraxas. Is he an actual figure in Melty Blood or something merely hinted at? I've tried looking into him a bit, things get complicated pretty fast. I suppose Abraxas is more of a title than an identity and just having that name wouldn't really say much about them at the end of the day. Still, it'd be good to know if others think that path is worth pursuing or if he might be part of the Foreign God.
    No, I am just doing an Utena meme which is not an accident, because Utena for all its boons has a lot of dumb and frankly meaningless hermetic shit in it. 'Is there a true demiurge in the Nasuverse past the fake gods' is a pretty interesting topic though, but it requires you to treat DDD as a part of Nasu's idea space.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Utena for all its boons has a lot of dumb and frankly meaningless hermetic shit in it
    how dare you
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Look, I love overanalyzing that stuff just as much as the next guy. It's really what gives the show its sense of infinite depth. But the show would be no worse without it, just make J.A.Seazer write songs about girl power or something. Meanwhile, you can't do it with the Terayama references.

Anyway, this is really a problem Nasu runs into due to actually understanding real world magic too well. For all the gesturing and chanting, most interesting thaumaturgical experiments boil down to
    - muh infinite wisdom within the akashic chronicles equals UNLIMITED POWER
    - muh one touch knockout kung fu that is definitely real as is my ability to heal cancer with a touch it's not my fault you don't belieb hard enough
    - muh cosmic egg that will turn the world upside down and flip existence to make me the opposite of a schizo loser that reads books about magic unironically
    - muh summoning a succubuss into my bedroom because I'm an incel that reads books about magic unironically
    - muh alchemical magnum opus of merging opposites to create a holy grail/philosopher's stone/a hermaphroditic materialization of soul that embodies the malleability and profoundness of existence in all of its primal form while profaning spirit and proving that metaphysics are just physics and there is really nothing such as an immortal soul so let's go sacrifice some kids to Moloch because it doesn't matter anyway

No, I am just doing an Utena meme which is not an accident, because Utena for all its boons has a lot of dumb and frankly meaningless hermetic shit in it. 'Is there a true demiurge in the Nasuverse past the fake gods' is a pretty interesting topic though, but it requires you to treat DDD as a part of Nasu's idea space.
    I really should get back to Utena someday. The first three episodes seemed too repetitive but I assume it changes fast at some point.

My main theory regarding the 'true' demiurge, if there is one, is that it's probably the Mother goddess whom BB gets authority from in CCC. It seems like Tiamat might have been retconned into the spot at this point. I also suspect that they might be the Beast of Ayala, but that's still a work in progress. I'd say Requiem would be the most likely to give some details on a true Demiurge if any.

Anyway, is this the place to chuck crackpot theories or do you prefer to keep them off the site?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    We had a headcanon thread once, but it departed for archival space along with a dearly departed wh40k fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And then there's the crackpot theory thread.

Gracios, can't say I would have found it with a name like that.

Though looking at it, it doesn't seem very active.
    Last edited by Arete; April 23rd, 2021 at 11:21 AM.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    To be fair, a lot of crack theory crafting does happen in the FGO Story thread, and I assume in other work-specific threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    I really should get back to Utena someday. The first three episodes seemed too repetitive but I assume it changes fast at some point.
    It doesn't. Finish the first arc (12 eps IIRC), watch the recap episode (they're not skippable in Utena), then decide if it's your thing.

Ep 7 and 12 are my favs off the first arc.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; April 24th, 2021 at 04:40 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Look, I love overanalyzing that stuff just as much as the next guy. It's really what gives the show its sense of infinite depth. But the show would be no worse without it, just make J.A.Seazer write songs about girl power or something. Meanwhile, you can't do it with the Terayama references.
    Oh, you absolutely can, it's what makes Utena a classic. You don't need to know Terayama or Takarazuka or Ikuhara's myriad influences because it all can stand on its own. I harbor no illusion of infInite depth, it's what it is and that's it.

Where do we get the hermetic shit? From the background songs, and from the chuuni type characters, but they are not really central to the story. They're just another Greek chorus like the Shadow Girls and their fables/comic routine (which is the single best thing in the show IMO.)

Anyway, compared to Eva which is obscure by design, Utena is practically transparent. Well, except Seazer's lyrics.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; April 24th, 2021 at 06:55 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    To be fair, a lot of crack theory crafting does happen in the FGO Story thread, and I assume in other work-specific threads.
    I suppose it's a little hard to know what is really all that crazy. It's really the wait till the next chapter or bit of lore that's doing me in and makes some of the theories seem more absurd than they actually are. The ones about the Foreign God though definitely enter into crackpot territory. I suppose two questions in that regard are: Is it possible the Foreign God/Lord Satan is Crimson Moon? Alternatively is it possible that Lord Satan is just an ordinary figure from history?

I don't place much weight in the first theory mostly cause I don't know much about CM. I remember hearing how he was supposed to be the final boss of another work that never got around to finishing (Notes I think) but perhaps that idea is being recycled here?

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    It doesn't. Finish the first arc (12 eps IIRC), watch the recap episode (they're not skippable in Utena), then decide if it's your thing.

Ep 7 and 12 are my favs off the first arc.
    The cultural impact is enough of a reason for me, so I'll probably go all the way to the end regardless. Main problem is not getting through old anime before the next season starts to find space in between and a few other priority series.

On a side note, I'm glad I finished Shibuya Scramble before spending too long on this site otherwise y'all would've spoilt stuff for me with some of your banners.