Page 5023 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 40234523492349735013501850215022502350245025502850335073512355236023 ... LastLast
Results 100,441 to 100,460 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Balmung is A+ because it's twice as effective against dragons.
    Where are you getting this from?
    Aus Feuer ward der Geist geschaffen,
    drum schenkt mir süßes Feuer ein!
    Die Lust der Lieder und der Waffen,
    die Lust der Liebe schenkt mir ein,
    der Trauben süßes Sonnenblut,
    das Wunder glaubt und Wunder thut!

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Assuming, from the fact that it's stated that stat modifiers double/halve the stat's actual value, depending on the context. If someone is good at something and a master of one thing within it, he fets a +. If someone is good at something but inept at a particular aspect of it, they get a -. +s and -s actual effect varies depending on how often the context would come up - it can be extremely specific like in Boudica's case, or something easily arranged like in Gawain's case.

Not that it always makes sense, but usually it does.

Assuming, from the fact that it's stated that stat modifiers double/halve the stat's actual value, depending on the context. If someone is good at something and a master of one thing within it, he fets a +. If someone is good at something but inept at a particular aspect of it, they get a -. +s and -s actual effect varies depending on how often the context would come up - it can be extremely specific like in Boudica's case, or something easily arranged like in Gawain's case.

Not that it always makes sense, but usually it does.
    I don't think there was ever an indication that + on a NP is situational.
    I mean what would it be for Gae Bolg(throw),Bellerophon, Brahmastra Kundala or Astolfo's Hippogriff

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Hm. Seika doc doesn't have it.

That's weird though, since I am pretty sure this was the way people have always treated it. It's convenient for explaining a lot of stuff about matchups at least.

Like in Gae Bolg, it's the difference between regular invocation of the NP, and Striking Death Flight.
    Brahmastra Kundala is only + if he imbues it with mana burst, and fire is already giving it a specific alignment that can determine the matchup.
    In the case of Bellerophon, it could be how the bridle actually makes Pegasus stronger.
    Hippogriff can power up if you pour a lot of juice into it as well.

Obviously, I am pulling these explanations out of my ass, but all of this is established.

Golden Wild Hunt being A+ is much harder to explain. Maybe "It's much stronger if someone other than Drake leads it"?
    Last edited by Ratman; October 11th, 2015 at 08:09 AM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    IIRC the + was said to be a 'temporary boost' that multiplies the stat based on the No of +.

The minus on the other hand is something I believe was recently revealed to be something totally different that means "is classified as Rank X, but is in practical terms one rank lower" (or at least something like that)

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    IIRC the + was said to be a 'temporary boost' that multiplies the stat based on the No of +.

The minus on the other hand is something I believe was recently revealed to be something totally different that means "is classified as Rank X, but is in practical terms one rank lower" (or at least something like that)
    Then how do you explain E-?

The implication in stuff like Gilles's Eye for Art is "it's so bad it swings around to something special". Same with Medusa's Divinity, which means "The fall from grace was so hard it actually makes her into something unholy and desecrating".

Hakuno's circuits, though, also clearly imply: "Can very, very barely use magecraft at all. Is very lucky he's in virtual environment and only has to operate electric circuits, because he wouldn't be able to do shit with that little prana irl." Which is quite unlike the above.

But all three of these can be explained with a situational penalty, meaning "Medusa is still a goddess in a way, EXCEPT corrupted", "Gilles is totally an artist, EXCEPT a dadaist", and "Hakuno is a magus, EXCEPT can only do programming".
    Last edited by Ratman; October 11th, 2015 at 08:31 AM.

Then how do you explain E-?
    It's extremly shitty but still exists

Blog Entries
    Minuses we know about, because that came out in the first UBW Q&A.

A minus sign is like that one thing, you know? It's like a B in terms of rank, but for your ability it's less than a B, maybe even a C. Something like that. Think of it as a number that's not very stable.
    The fact that the doubling on +s was situational has occasionally been called out as fanon in C-a-S, but does persist. "Now, things like B+ and A+ represent the unique ability to multiply these numerical values for just an instant" is the Side Material rule, and if situational applications have any grounding, it must be obscure.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

In Brazil, everybody's hands are burning red.
    awww i was almost eating the bait, Seika. XD

with your last comment i'm in a loss again.
    what do you think about it?

- - - Updated - - -

also, ty guys for the comments

quite good for insight

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    A+ and further is also a weird situation where it may possibly just mean "higher than A" rather than "situational doubling of A" in at least some cases because if you get a Rank Up bonus and are already at A then where do you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    A+ and further is also a weird situation where it may possibly just mean "higher than A" rather than "situational doubling of A" in at least some cases because if you get a Rank Up bonus and are already at A then where do you go?
    what?

Blog Entries
    Hakuno's circuits, though, also clearly imply: "Can very, very barely use magecraft at all. Is very lucky he's in virtual environment and only has to operate electric circuits, because he wouldn't be able to do shit with that little prana irl." Which is quite unlike the above.
    Huh...

Hakuno has top-class magic circuits.
    Last edited by Siriel; October 11th, 2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    also isn't magic dead or something so he/she wouldn't be able to do magecraft irl regardless
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    also isn't magic dead or something so he/she wouldn't be able to do magecraft irl regardless
    It turns out the tech magic they do translates into real life to an extent because who knows.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Do they ever elaborate on what code-casting specifically is, in terms of how it works and so on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    It's not as good as you'd expect.

So like if A is 50 and B 40, then A- is 45.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    It's not as good as you'd expect.

So like if A is 50 and B 40, then A- is 45.

is it so, Seika?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Do they ever elaborate on what code-casting specifically is, in terms of how it works and so on?
    Basically just spells.

Translation is kinda awkward but:

Codecast [skill] P180
    A program (read: simple spell) used in cyberspace.
    A wizard writes and compiles the program code in advance, and activates it by passing magic through it. There are two types of Codecast. External Codecasts are one time use consumable Codecasts, while Internal Codecasts are installed into the body... or rather the spiritron structures [that make up one’s body in cyberspace].

Codecasts that have been installed are very powerful, however seeing as they change the fundamental nature of the user, not many wizards choose to use them. Codecasts implemented through the use of a Mystic Code fall somewhere in the middle [in terms of power and effects on the user].
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotollama View Post
    is it so, Seika?
    You could just ask me to source.

Q: What does the minus sign mean on stat sheets? I've been wondering about this for years, and it's starting to cause my head to go bald, so an answer would be greatly appreciated.
    Nasu: Oh dear. The minus sign is basically for when something qualified for a B in terms of rank, for example, but is not quite worth a B in terms of power or ability, closer to a C, even. Think of it as a number that isn't quite reliably stable. (jokes past this point)
    I suppose my example doesn't quite get across the reliably stable part.
    Last edited by Siriel; October 11th, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Food's Imaginary Rank that is 60 that isn't C+.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    "Now, things like B+ and A+ represent the unique ability to multiply these numerical values for just an instant" is the Side Material rule,
    Also repeated in CM3 and then in Vol 1 of Apo.
    Like Darnic thinks, and it has a plus, this is what a plus does.

- - - Updated - - -

+ and - means it's situational.

Examples:
    Emiya's Magecraft is C- because he's streamlined towards projection. He will only be half as good at common magecraft stuff because everything he does tries to be swords.
    Hakuno's circuit quality is E- because they are terrible, AND only useful for hacking.

Balmung is A+ because it's twice as effective against dragons.
    Excalibur is ++ because it's effectiveness is heavily dependent on how much juice she can pour into it. A "safe" excaliblast is A ranked, but she can go as far as triple that big a beam if she absolutely needs to.
    Gawain gets + in a bunch of stats because he is a lot stronger at daytime. This makes him exactly as OP as it sounds and is a big plot point in Extra.

Generally the reason for the modifier should be either explained in the skill description or figured out easily, except when it's not.
    fanon, the musical.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Wow, that's a lot of headcanon. By the way, where can I find the compiled translations for the Extra/CCC dictionary. I could swear I saw a thread for it on the translation subforum but now I can't find it.
    The priest was waiting for the arrival of the princess, who was only an enemy of all of them.
    For the priest, the golden princess was the one and only main heroine.
    Everyone else was unworthy of his respect, no matter how strong they were.

Tsukihime 2 Prelude III