Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21262930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero's Guide to Riichi/Reach Mahjong ~rules, points, and general discussion~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if gamedesign doesn't decide to cheat/shit all over you throughout ten hanchan of open tanyao, you're either magical or fucking magical.

open tanyao is my most hated crutch in this game. nashi-riichi rules ftw.

No one plays Nashi at the english lobby.

;_;

Banned
    Blog Entries
    too much thinking for people who started playing because of tits?

I think it is pretty entertaining to see the arguments concerning things like Nashi and 3P.

Nashi:
    -Slow and boring.

If game ends up in a draw it's shit
    -Meager hands.
    Bailing to Riichi-only hands
    throughout the game is a joke.
    -No glorious open tanyao.

3P:
    -It's not mahjong.
    -lol Wind as dora.
    -Ridiculously high hands.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    lol

Nashi v Ari arguments remind me of Soccer v Basketball arguments.

Less scoring makes it slow and boring! (compared to fewer limit hands)
    No, fewer scoring opportunities makes every score count, instead of making it okay to miss every now and then! (compared to random dora hands increasing the randomness of scoring)

But yeah, when I was still learning, I did prefer Ari over Nashi, since I could win more. Now that I sorta know what's going on, Ari just has so much more dangerous randomness, that the tightness of Nashi is very appealing. 3P is hilarious, because of dora bombs. Also lack of sanshoku doujun, and the limiting of sanshoku doukou to just 111 and 999 make it funny. Really, as someone willing to play all of them, Ari is smack in the middle of Nashi and 3P. Well, kinda. The variations on Ari, like red dora, or special cases yakuman will tend to drag it from one end of the spectrum to another. The whole Nashi v Ari v 3P thing is just a question of how tight people like their play. I like my play to be very tight when I'm playing seriously. If I'm looking to just fuck around, I'll jump on 3P or aka-ari so I can fling nukes without thinking, since you can get away with that shit. It's fun in its own way.

Also, House rules are house rules. For example, I often don't have enough people to play 4P with, so me and my friends play 3P, but basically with Nashi rules plus a very special rule--compounded riichi. If not dealer, you can increase the fan count of your riichi up to 3 fan, by depositing more riichi sticks. This compounding also only has a few uses--you can normal riichi as much as you want, still 1000en deposit. You can compound to 2 fan by depositing 3000, and you can use this compound state twice in a hanchan. You can compound to 3 fan by depositing 6000, and can only use this once per hanchan. Repeating, you can only compound the riichi value if you are not in the dealer position. We found that this makes the 3P dealer advantage way less slanted, which is a real problem in 3P. The pei-dora and smaller tile pool makes hoarding dora a larger, less transparent threat than in 4P. With the reduction of a hanchan from 8 games to 6 games, the random dealer advantage is even scarier, so that rule was how we rectified it. While it can be abused by a non-dealer per se, with a 4 pei-dora and a full compound for auto 7han, the player still needs to win to get that 3000 based score for the haneman (or 4000 for baiman, if they have a single legitimate yaku. in 3P, the child haneman score is a meager 9000, but the deposit is 6000. if it goes to draw or someone else wins, they're down a decent portion. The risk factor is pretty big, and, I'm stressing, you're only allowed one per hanchan.

We haven't played 4P with that rule yet, since I made up the deposit with 3P scores in mind, but there's the rambling tangent question. Would it be good to adopt the compounded riichi rule for 4P (possibly with rectifications)? Well, definitely not doing compounded in aka-ari. That's way too much hand inflation.

To be honest I wasn't expecting such a serious answer.

I'm impressed.

By the way, we have a Wiki just for Japanese mahjong. Feel free to contribute, fix stuff, or even yell at me for screwing up. :3

http://arcturus.su/wiki/Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
    By the way, we have a Wiki just for Japanese mahjong. Feel free to contribute, fix stuff, or even yell at me for screwing up. :3

http://arcturus.su/wiki/Main_Page
    So what are you guys doing now? Last I heard from you is that Season 3 is over.

WAML? To be honest... I have no idea what happened with that, other than it is discontinued. It's a pity, really...

That sucks, just when I was in the mood to play for the first time in months.

Well, the lobby used for WAML is still active here and there - just not as much.

It is not the same feeling of competitiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown View Post
    It is not the same feeling of competitiveness.
    Then again, there's always 0000 with a registered account. However, things can actually get too competitive there.

Blog Entries
    I gave up on using my registered account. (and also lost the login for it anyway, derpaderp)
    But really, I can see my old matches even with an unregistered account, and that's enough for me.
    Speaking of tenhou, if anyone wants to get a match going and doesn't see me on BL, feel free to throw me a message on Skype. If I'm on, I'm probably up for a game or three.
    Last edited by Marth; October 11th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Btw, here's a Wiki:

http://a.pqrs.se/wiki/Main_Page

This was the original url, but the domain expired. But, posting it anyways - in case (or when) it does get renewed:

http://arcturus.su/wiki

If you want to help out, feel free to join.

This thread is more dead than Lancer's luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    well, no one has been trying to set up match days due to time constraints and/or other irl problems, so yeah. i haven't seen anyone post any match screen caps to talk about possible strategies, either, which was one of the original goals that was never fulfilled, really.

Anybody down for some games at Tenhou's 7447 lobby now?

Rating, on another note, is destructive. I've capped at ~1870 at 2 Dan, suffered one or two fourth places and got dragged down by a spiral of madness.
    Last edited by Beyond; November 29th, 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    a bit late, but i can be if there are people willing.

I entered the lobby - Not sure if we'll get 2 more people.

--

Not sure if you were playing or not, but I managed to get a match in.
    Last edited by Beyond; November 30th, 2014 at 04:53 AM.