Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20252829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: General Light Novel Thread

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Finally got around to reading The Isolator V5.
    Spoiler:
    [LMAO Minoru needs a motorcycle now, Kawahara just can't help himself. I'm surprised that Liquidizer has apparently never killed anyone; is that only technically speaking or does she have an iron will or what? I don't want to call it bad writing, so I hope we get an answer soon. Then there's Minoru's boosted memory, intellect, and composure: What's causing that? And also what Suu was going to say before she tried to kill herself.]
    Anyways, I'm looking forward to volume 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Page 18 of new Ryuuou, and I already have goosebumps.

Edited:

And finished. Volume 11 was a tough act to follow, and volume 12 didn't reach the same heights. However...however, Shiratori's writing is just insane. It's not impeccable nor is it particularly impressive technically, but the sheer emotion he manages to ramp up is insane. His characters in Ryuuou all tend to feel heat during tense moments, and Shiratori does his damnest to translate that heat into words and never lets up. I took a moment to digest the book a bit, but I'm still reeling from that heat. Kudos to the translator team, obviously, for keeping up with his crazy beats.

Now that Shiratori finished a lot of character arcs with v.11 and v.12, who the heck knows what he'll write next, but I can't wait.
    Last edited by R.Lock; June 30th, 2020 at 11:32 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Bought it, but might take a while for me to read cause im tight on spare time

God tier cover though

JP Friend Code
    Just finished 86-Eighty Six- Volume 4. Good ol' mechs, shipping, discrimination & despair. No therapists for miles still.

Wishing the adaptation does well when it comes.
    https://anime-86.com/

Finished the anime a long while ago but I've yet to pick up Ryuuou's LN & keeps gets distracted by other reads still.

Start from vol1 if you pick it up. The author himself disrespected the anime.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Start from vol1 if you pick it up. The author himself disrespected the anime.
    That's the plan. Mostly got through it mainly so I had a better mental images of the characters & their Voices.

It'll be a while still since I still can't fully commit on longer ones I'm interested in like Ryuuou, Dendogram, Konosuba, Outbreak Company, Rakuin no Monshou, etc.

Really need to catch up on (or finish) Index New Testament, Grimgar, Kamisama no Memochou, etc. etc.

...now if I could only stop getting diverted by new releases/updates & other stuff. (i.e. Oh! 86's just released a new one! Let's read that!)

Weekend means spare time, spare time means I finished Ryuuou vol 12.

Another brilliant volume, absolutely loved it. How does he keep doing it, time after time? While it might not reach vols 7 and 11, its definitely fits easily in the second highest tier with such vols as 5 and 9. Or on second thought, maybe it is up there in tier 1... naaaah except maybe yes? I dunno I gotta calm down and think about it, im still too emotional to make sense of things. Anyway, a damn good volume, and a damn good ending to this now 7 volume long Sub League arc.

When I think of vol 11 im ultimately left with strong feelings of hype and good vibes, this ones a lot more painful. As a completely unapologetic Ginko worshipper I was expecting her to be the highlight of the vol as usual, but surpsrisingly I have to say that the true stars of this vol were Hiuma and Sota for me. Dont get me wrong, Ginkos moments were excellent, i could barely breathe during her climactic match, but Hiuma and Sota were just plain next level. the weird camaraderie of the edgy youngest super prodigy ever & the eternal loser on his way out because of age limitations, I dunno that shit just worked so well for me.

That final part with this illustration, oh shit the dam just broke.
    Spoiler:

And cant forget red Ai's little moment, she absolutely killed it. This is the shit I was talking about earlier, red Ai is so much better handled than blue Ai its ridiculous. Oh and the part with Yaichi giving Ginkos message to Ryou was powerful too. And OH BOY Shiratoris afterword. Jesus christ I was already destroyed by Hiuma and Sota dont you go and drop shit like that on my already vulnerable ass.

all in all, 9.5/10 I think.

Blog Entries
    Shiratori definitely hits his stride in v12 more when the meat of the volume is far removed from Kuzu or when Kuzu is not in the control of the scene. Kuzu's wins are secondary to to whatever shit was going on in Sub-League, and it's unreal considering who he was battling against. Like what, he's got a positive record against Meijin, and streak of wins against former and current title holders, but who freaking cares.

Sub League was bloody cold. And I'm not sure if Shiratori can top that arc with most of the cast not being in that league anymore.

Yeah, Kuzu's matches seriously felt like a sideshow, ironic considering their high status. But I did really love that part with Kuzu going "there is literally no way i can lose this match, a lame loser has no right to ask out the legend who became the first female professional ever", as if Ginkos victory was set in stone. But I feel like Kuzu as the storydriving force, the de facto protag, graduated in vol 5 and got partially overtaken by Ginko. But now we're done with Ginkos arc, at least for now, so lets see what happens.

I seriously have no idea where it will go next. All plot threads I can think of wrapped up with 11&12 and the heroine race is over, or rather in hindsight there never actually was a heroine race in the first place as Ginko had already unofficially won since the start. I'm guessing theres gonna be something big brewing for blue Ai, and maybe something with Kuzu now that hes the """demon lord""". I personally would like some spotlight on Ayumu, i like the dude. Maybe something with his feelings towards MOMMY Shakando.

Blog Entries
    More so than Ayumu, Kanto is definitely in desperate need for spotlight now. Kansai got 12 volumes already, give one to Kanto.

Then again, I want more time for dear little Cinderella, too. Hmmm.

Haruhi vol 12 coming out this year, after 9 year hiatus.

So thats yet another neverever to happen before TsukiRime

name a LN illustrator more based than Shirabii. you cant, you absolutely cant.

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Definitely one of the best.

Still reading through
    Eighty Six
    [86]
    volume 5. Been a bit busy so I've been reading it on & off, reminds me of how doing such on some stories can lessen impact/effect & such since the flow and/or tension keeps getting stopped or cut-off.

Finished 86 vol 5. Really great volume, Asato just dont miss. Hyped for the next one. I really liked the new characters. Also snow stages are awesome.

I like how Asatos afterwords are usually either gushing about how she got Lena dressed in an outfit of her chosen fetish or some hard mecha/war trivia. Truly a woman of culture, this author is.

Seems like the anime has been delayed, though. It was supposed to air in 2020 but fall season is starting soon and theres been no news.

Read Tomozaki-kun vol 3. Damn that was really good. It was a decent oregairu clone but not much more at first, but this vol really sold the series to me. I can see now why it keeps ranking high on konorano in recent years.

sucks that the anime is gonna be by the exact same staff that massacred ryuuou. Rip Tomozakis chances of popularity in the west. For a story where body language is at the core, it really needs an anime adaption with emphasis on character animation.

Infinite dendrogram 12 done.

damn the abysmal anime mustve really fucked kaidou up. he usually has two authors comments sections every vol and last few vols he talked a lot about how he was excited to get an anime, but this vol came out when the anime was airing and theres no author comment at all. RIP kaidous smile and optimism.

Hmm today i will buy tomozaki-kun vol 4
    >your region is not allowed to buy this book fuck you
    What??? but i bought vols 1-3 what the shit you on bro

Tomozaki-kun vol4 done, fuck licensing restrictions btw. Tama-chan is love.

If i was in charge of the anime id do 1 cour for vols 1-3, vol3 had a climax that felt like the end of a first season and vol4 is basically setup for vol5 and please pleas please dont do 5 vols in 1 cour.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Directions unclear, 2 episodes per volume just like Antimagic Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries

Shirabii live stream?