Page 2 of 1242 FirstFirst 1234712521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you in fanfiction discussion

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Isn't this practically the definition of fanfiction?
    Uh, no?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpy View Post
    Isn't it better exclude a character you dislike, instead of writing the fic in such a way as to torture that character?
    Torture and dislike doesn't have a place in a (good) fanfic. A (good) fanfic writer should write with fairness, without using characters based on his/her own bias.

If the choice is "I either torture this char I hate or I make him disappear into the Void", you're just doing it wrong.

Of course, you can work things around in order to not have a character you don't like disturbing you. But, for example, you can't just sign Sakura as "Lady-not-appearing-in-this-fanfic" just because you hate her. You can have a fanfic based on Fate or UBW route where she doesn't have a major role though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianru View Post
    BAD GRAMMAR.
    AND BAD SPELLING.
    AND BAD PUNCTUATION.
    THAT IS ALL.
    Oh, this of course.

Chasing After that Elusive Dream Heroslayer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know, I don't really remember since Shirou has only just gotten UBWs in my story. Have I used the word Trace. I kinda hope not since I thought I've been careful to say Project or create.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroslayer View Post
    You know, I don't really remember since Shirou has only just gotten UBWs in my story. Have I used the word Trace. I kinda hope not since I thought I've been careful to say Project or create.
    Shirou (and occasionally Rin when specifically talking about his sword reproduction) actually call it Tracing to differentiate it from normal Projection. But if you're going third person, it really should be Projection (or "Gradiation Air" if you want to go technical)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Avalon only gives l33t h4x healing if Saber is still contracted with user, am I remembering this right?
    Proximity works too. Avalon was healing Shirou during his fight with Archer in UBW.

Things I hate in F/SN fanfiction:

-Grail goes wild/summons 30+Servants fics
    -Fics that star primarily/all OCs
    -Any fic in which Shinji is 'redeemed' (Note: Does not take into fics in which he never committed his 'crimes' in the first place)

Edit:

Also:
    Sues. They suck. ALL OF THEM. That includes canon chars turned into sues.
    Shoehorning characters in. If a character doesn't naturally fit, keep it the fuck out. If you don't like a character, keep them the fuck out, unless you have an actual reason for them to be in it.
    Grammar and spelling, like Lianru said.
    Color-ette does NOT WORK FOR RANDOM COLORS.
    Homonyms. Using the wrong ones. PEAK =/= PEEK.
    This seems more aimed at general fanfiction then F/SN specifically.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    If you're first-personing Shirou (WOO! Made up verbs), then having him refer to it as either "Tracing" or "Projection" interchangeably is fine in my book. From any other perspective, it's best to use the proper terminology.

EDIT: SNIPED BY ARASHI HOLY SH*T

Oh yeah, FF peeves:
    Grammar errors and mispellings. Especially my own.
    They must die. >:C
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post
    Excluding characters just because you don't like them.
    This.

I could not possibly agree more with this statement.

Derailing a character because they think it's the right thing to do/they're doing it well.
    This also. Character derailment for the purpose of plot or because you don't like the character in question is infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpy View Post
    Isn't it better exclude a character you dislike, instead of writing the fic in such a way as to torture that character?
    Yes, but a good writer shouldn't feel the need to do either, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroslayer View Post
    I have to say the Avalon thing you mentioned. I kinda don't like people using it as this plot hax healing artifact for people other than Shirou. Shirou's plot hax healing is Canon. >_>
    Why not?

There is absolutely no reason why Avalon should only work for Shirou. It just needs Saber to be in close proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Avalon only gives l33t h4x healing if Saber is still contracted with user, am I remembering this right?
    No, not really.

Iri used it in Zero, and she wasn't contracted with Saber. It just needs Saber to be somewhere nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Muramasa View Post
    -Any fic in which Shinji is 'redeemed' (Note: Does not take into fics in which he never committed his 'crimes' in the first place)
    Well, it happens (sort-of) in UBW, so it's not absolutely impossible.

Blog Entries
    Well, they'd need to find a way to implant Avalon inside of someone first......
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    In FSN fanfictions:

Just making 7 original characters summoning 7 heroic spirits. Showing that even you can browse through wikipedia and that you happen to know seven guys from various mythologies is NOT the point of FSN.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors shiningphoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Yes, but a good writer shouldn't feel the need to do either, really.
    Well I'm not a good writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Shirou (and occasionally Rin when specifically talking about his sword reproduction) actually call it Tracing to differentiate it from normal Projection. But if you're going third person, it really should be Projection (or "Gradiation Air" if you want to go technical)
    I don't get why it peeves people that Shirou's Projection is called Tracing. I mean, it's distinct from normal Projection in that the whole process involves UBW. It's like people getting peeved at Kenshin's kenjutsu being called Hiten Mitsurugi style and not just plain kenjutsu. It's not like anyone other than him can Trace.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    I don't get why it peeves people that Shirou's Projection is called Tracing. I mean, it's distinct from normal Projection in that the whole process involves UBW. It's like people getting peeved at Kenshin's kenjutsu being called Hiten Mitsurugi style and not just plain kenjutsu. It's not like anyone other than him can Trace.
    eddyak in particular gets annoyed I think because Tracing is the process, not the spell. Even if he says "Trace, on" to start a Projection of, say, a metal pipe, it shouldn't be called Tracing, because that's replicating both the image and the history, and Shirou isn't reproducing a metal pipe's history. Or something.

Chasing After that Elusive Dream Heroslayer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does Shirou even call it Tracing in the game? I mean, I'm pretty sure he just calls it Projection.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    He specifically calls it "his Tracing version of Projection" or something like that in the original Japanese if I remember right. Or maybe Archer does. I start getting what the translation was mixed up with some of the original Japanese...

Although you can't go on it as canon, I know for sure Rin says "Tracing" in the UBW movie. /lazyanswer

Blog Entries
    In FSN fanfictions:

Just making 7 original characters summoning 7 heroic spirits. Showing that even you can browse through wikipedia and that you happen to know seven guys from various mythologies is NOT the point of FSN.
    So much this. So. Much. This.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Starting up a story just because you thought it would be awesome and then giving up after the first chapter. Hell, not finishing a story in general is annoying to me, although it can be unavoidable at times.

Bashing. Just... bashing characters ruins stories that are otherwise good.

Also, about the Avalon thing, does it have to be inside the person to heal then, or do they just need to be connected with both Saber and Avalon?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Starting up a story just because you thought it would be awesome and then giving up after the first chapter. Hell, not finishing a story in general is annoying to me, although it can be unavoidable at times.
    And you know what else I don't like? When good fanfics about blue-cladded warriors from Ireland are on hiatus for too much.

Any reference to real-life people and their actual works is intended.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    In FSN fanfictions:

Eh, the Holy Grail War (if not the Fuyuki one) has the concept of Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny at its core. Stay Night is Shirou's gig, but 'Fate' has since evolved thanks to Extra.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    Eh, the Holy Grail War (if not the Fuyuki one) has the concept of Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny at its core. Stay Night is Shirou's gig, but 'Fate' has since evolved thanks to Extra.
    True, but if you're gonna create original Servants, at least properly read their legends. Not an extreme summary on Wikipedia.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    FSN isn't about 7 mythological guys killing each other. That's the goal of the Heaven's Feel... not the point of FSN.

There's a huge difference.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    That's why I quantified it with Stay Night. It's Shirou's story there, not about seven OCs and seven heroes, but at the same time Fate isn't all about the Fuyuki crew anymore either.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes