Page 1 of 13 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Berserk - The Black Swordsman

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One

Berserk - The Black Swordsman

General thread to discuss this classic manga by Kentaro Miura.

Let's begin with good news!

A three-parts movie based on the Golden Age Arc has been announced. The first one will be titled Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago (or Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler), and it's scheduled to be released January 2012.

(Link)

(Source: ANN).

Discuss, discuss, discuss!

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe that this is actually CG.

THIS IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK!
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    I'm not usually a fan of CG in any way, but yes, this one looks really smooth and well done (until now I've seen something like this only in Hellsing oav 8. And T&B, maybe).

Damn it, that's one less thing to compare to Duke Nukem Forever. Are all the old things beginning to fade?

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    I'm a huge Berserk fan, but part of me is a little sad that it's not hand drawn cell animation. Part of what makes Berserk so awesome is the jaw dropping horrifically gorgeous artwork. That detail is lost somewhat with CG.

And . . . I would kill to see a "Lost Children" arc. It's still my favorite arc of the manga followed by the Holy See arc.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I'm a huge Berserk fan, but part of me is a little sad that it's not hand drawn cell animation. Part of what makes Berserk so awesome is the jaw dropping horrifically gorgeous artwork. That detail is lost somewhat with CG.

And . . . I would kill to see a "Lost Children" arc. It's still my favorite arc of the manga followed by the Holy See arc.
    I think it's the best solution actually.
    CG allows for a higher quality standard with the same budget as a hand-drawn film, so we will see less quality fuckups, which really is closer to the manga then imo.
    A hand-drawn project could never really stand up to the art of the manga, except if you go for a Redline-like mammoth project.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    What I fear is that this project will only cover the ("overly") famous Golden Age Arc... until now there's no info on a possible series of film (or oav, I'd be happy with that too) that goes beyond the Eclipse...

Also... does Caska calls Gatsu "berserk" in the PV?... I don't know if this is a facepalm or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post
    Also... does Caska calls Gatsu "berserk" in the PV?... I don't know if this is a facepalm or not...
    I think she actually says something like "I LOVE BERSERK". Guess the PV isn't trying to be totally serious.

If I'm With You, Surely Paradise Exists! Froggie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking forward to this so much. I'm a huge fan of Berserk.

I have, however, stopped reading the manga. I'm waiting for a few more arcs to be completed before I go on a binge and re-read the whole thing.

Waiting chapter after chapter is too much for me.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    I can't say she's wrong... after all, how can you not love Berserk?

(I really hope that her VA was just promoting the franchise, and that line isn't really in the script...).

Quote Originally Posted by Froggie View Post
    Waiting chapter after chapter is too much for me.
    At this pace...

I'll leave only one thing to my great-grandson... the only thing that I couldn't accomplish during my life... the only thing that I couldn't see with my own eyes... Berserk's last chapter.

Even Berserk characters love Berserk, it's just that good.

She won't say that in the script, didn't you notice how the music just stopped playing to add, uh, comical effect maybe? The second PV appears to be made in the same fashion but I don't really get what they say, huh.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I know why they're using CG in this. It's because if they tried to copy the art quality of the manga we'd have another Redline on our hands.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    The art quality of the manga is a drawn, black-and-white quality. You can't compare details quality with smooth animation.

And I think that CG is used mostly to drop the costs.

Blog Entries
    Little witch is best witch.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Schierke!

Blog Entries
    So cute yet so powerful!

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. Although I wish they'd do the later story arcs some day. ;_;
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Eh, you're right.

Even thanks to the anime, the Golden Age arc is just spotlight-stealing. The same things happens with JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Stardust Crusaders.

Which is a pity, because Berserk (and JoJo :3) really needs a full adaptation IMO.

The problem is, I doubt this is just the first part of a more wide project...

Oh well, let's just sit back and enjoy this adaptation (that doesn't seem bad at all).

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, it is but a pity.

Why can't there be a bazillion episodes of JoJo just like with Bleach and Naruto? That'd be sick as all hell. >:
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    And the worst part is, there's no real reason why there shouldn't be an anime of JoJo.

It's famous, and its story arcs are all concluded, almost like autonomous storylines... it should be perfect to animate. But yeah, considering what they did with the Phantom Blood movie - which was so bad apparently, Araki forbade the DVD release. I heard there was no Speedwagon-how can you exclude Speedwagon, c'mon! -.

Anyway, I can see why they're going again for the Golden Age Arc... they surely can't begin from the latest arcs, and since Miura has begun drawing once more, maybe they want to attract younger readers that didn't grew up with the 90's anime...