Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archives of threads from the former Beast's Lair

Blog Entries

Archives of threads from the former Beast's Lair

Several of us have backups of the old Beast's Lair, so a lot of the old threads still exist. The question is how do we want to make these available? I'm not sure we need EVERY one, so I'd like some ideas on what we should do about archives. Also, where we should store them. I'm still tinkering around with this thing, and it's possible a number of them could be stored on this Server.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and we'll move forward once we have a solid plan.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm still trying to find a converter for this stuff - one existed, but the author stopped working on it after ProBoards requested he do so.

It could be theoretically possible to write code that would take the data, convert it into vBulletin format, and post it up as some sort of read-only archive... but that would be a hell of a lot of work.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Blog Entries
    Honestly, at the moment, I'm just considering text archives. I can do that easily enough.

Blog Entries
    If I can't find any of this stuff, that's probably what I'd do. Some sort of simple coding to make it display half-ass decently and that's it.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

whoever controls the dns, they can setup archive.forums.nrvnqsr.com and you can shove it all there for read only, plenty of space to go around..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    one existed, but the author stopped working on it after ProBoards requested he do so.
    Why does this not shock me at all...?

Blog Entries
    because your capable of basic logic?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd say we should review the worthwhile threads on an archive, check them out and determine which ones we can bring back. It takes some time, but we have lots of people that can do this.
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker

Everything is Nobu's fault. King Rorthur's Avatar
    Any off chance that any of the 7th's VN stuff is still lying around? Though I'm glad that I archived at least some of the info (mostly Tomoko's info) on my hard drive.

I am the herp of my derp. Hurr is my body and durr is my blood. I have created over a thousand derps unknown to durps nor known to hurps
    have withstood durrs to create many derps yet, those hurrs will never herp anything so, as I pray, Unlimited Derp Works
    ~
    Because somehow Kiritsugu managed to make GARcher look like a pussy.

I've been looking around a bit, but AFAIK no one writes converters for VBulletin because of their official solution, ImpEx. Doesn't support generic imports of anything other than users though.

If by some miracle we managed to find that converter DP's looking for and it works with what we've got, though, it might actually be possible to do a PB -> phpBB -> VBulletin conversion...? I think it's worth looking into, at least.

Upping everything to archive.forums.nrvnqsr.com and putting the link on the front page subforum-style might not be such a bad option, though that still leaves the roleplaying guys to work out how they want to interface with their old threads (links, reposting, etc.)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, we should probably bring that last point to Verg and Bring. Then we'll figure out what else we can do for the RPs.
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle ranmafan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dovac View Post
    whoever controls the dns, they can setup archive.forums.nrvnqsr.com and you can shove it all there for read only, plenty of space to go around..
    Since it's a "public" domainname, it doesn't actually have to be the owner - it's registered as a separate subdomain, it seems (with the googlebot catch, as well).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
    I've been looking around a bit, but AFAIK no one writes converters for VBulletin because of their official solution, ImpEx. Doesn't support generic imports of anything other than users though.

If by some miracle we managed to find that converter DP's looking for and it works with what we've got, though, it might actually be possible to do a PB -> phpBB -> VBulletin conversion...? I think it's worth looking into, at least.
    Correct, ImpEx doesn't (and never will) support it because it assumes the forum software has some kind of database dump. Obviously we don't get that with ProBoards, which is Perl-based, thus we had to do manual crawls.

And yes, that is the method of conversion we would need.

As for what RoadBuster has, he says his archive is pretty complete. The only things missing were password-protected forums. I know he mentioned Project Lacuna by name. Obviously, though, take my words with some salt - I don't know exactly how much he has either, and I'm simply repeating what I've learned.

PS: Congrats, guys. In about three days you've put up more posts here than my previous forum using this license managed in about 4 1/2 years.

Old Quote Crap!

Everything is Nobu's fault. King Rorthur's Avatar
    Any updates on PL yet?

I have some of the backgrounds saved and one of the sloppy copies of the introduction on my hard drive; plot wise, as I said earlier I only have stuff on Tomoko saved on my private blog.

I am the herp of my derp. Hurr is my body and durr is my blood. I have created over a thousand derps unknown to durps nor known to hurps
    have withstood durrs to create many derps yet, those hurrs will never herp anything so, as I pray, Unlimited Derp Works
    ~
    Because somehow Kiritsugu managed to make GARcher look like a pussy.

So, has anyone gotten anything down for the archives? Something in General makes me want to go back to that Elephant vs. Heracles vs. Arcueid discussion that was actually seriously going on.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    RoadBuster has pretty full archives of the old board. I'm sure he could look stuff up, and I'm also pretty sure we plan to have the archive up eventually in some form, but you'd have to ask him about his plans on that - I don't know the specifics.

Old Quote Crap!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    So, has anyone gotten anything down for the archives? Something in General makes me want to go back to that Elephant vs. Heracles vs. Arcueid discussion that was actually seriously going on.
    IIRC it was this:
    I was saying Extra!Arc might be a completely unboosted Arc (as in an Arc that is not being boosted by Gaia). However, not many people agreed with me. Someone said something along the lines of that meaning Arc and Berserker having the same strength. Someone brings up how Arc was ripping the heads off Nero's beasts. Particularly, Elephants; which according to narration could destroy tanks easily. Anyway, I say Berserker would easily be able to kill Nero's Elephants considering his attacks in narration said he could destroy houses with a single swing and therefore could easily lop off an elephant's head. Then (I'm pretty sure it was eddyak) goes 'yeah, but can he do it with his hands?' then I stop replying to the thread (as I could have sworn people were just trolling at that point not caring about the original arguement) meanwhile everyone goes ballistic at how apparently Berserker can't kill Elephants with his hands which then mutated to 'Elephants can solo fucking everyone'.

REAAALLY fragmented sorry. It should at least let you recall the details if you were there.

And sorry about posting this here.
    Last edited by Cruor; March 27th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Yeah, I was there. In fact, I swear I was the guy who first noted the absurdity of the issue. It was so hilarious, I wanted to go back and re-read.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Someone wrote a Nasu-like description of Elephants as a phantasmal beast or something. I liked that.

Blog Entries
    I remember that. Someone said it was only a matter of time before that showed up on the type moon wiki, which I remember laughing pretty hard at.