Page 236 of 372 FirstFirst ... 136186226231234235236237238241246286336 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,720 of 7423

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but normally, I'd have wished you a happy birthday first thing in the morning, rather than the middle of the afternoon - hence, it's belated.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Not bad, on one front, at least - I've got my Scion nailed down (for a change ).
    Are we getting a character sheet this time, too? I'd love to see the build.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Yeah - I can sit down and work that up tomorrow, actually. I know most of what I want already, but it'd be a good idea to actually put it down on paper, so I know for sure what he's capable of.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Thanks for letting me know what your reasoning is for the belated birthday wish.

Anyway, working on some ideas of mine, as well as celebrating my birthday with my family.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Name: Galen
    True Name: Classified
    Calling: Indiana Jones wannabe
    Pantheon: Dodekatheon (Olympians)
    God: Hermes
    Nature: Gallant

Abilities: Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Stamina 5, Charisma 2, Manipulation 3, Appearance 2, Perception 4, Intelligence 3, Wits 4

Abilities: Academics 3, Animal Ken 1, Art (Writing) 2, Athletics 5 (6 with Arete bonus), Awareness 2, Brawl 1, Empathy 1, Fortitude 1, Integrity 1, Investigation 2, Medicine 1, Melee 1, Occult 5 (6 with Arete bonus), Politics 1, Presence 2, Science (geography) 1, Stealth 3, Thrown 1

Birthrights:

Relic *** (Topaz amulet) – accesses Illusion, Magic and Stars Purviews
    Relic *** (Hat) – accesses Psychopomp Purview, can transform into any headgear for use with the “False Face” Boon of the Illusion Purview

Epic Attributes (Knacks): Epic Strength 2 (Holy Bound, Titanium Tools), Epic Dexterity 2 (Cat’s Grace, Fast as Thought, Lightning Sprinter, Untouchable Opponent), Epic Stamina 2 (Damage Conversion, Self-Healing), Epic Perception 2 (Perfect Pitch, Subliminal Warning), Epic Intelligence 2 (Fast Learner, Know-It-All), Epic Wits 2 (Don’t Read the Manual, Instant Investigator)

Purviews and Boons (Level): Arete (Athletics) – 1, Arete (Occult) – 1 (*), Illusion – The Subtle Knife (*), Magic 1 (spells below), Psychopomp – Unerring Orientation, Stars – (*)

Spells Known (Level): Ariadne’s Thread (*), The Unlidded Eye (*)

Virtues: Expression 2, Intellect 3, Valour 2, Vengeance 3

Willpower: 6

Legend (Legend Points): 3 (9)

Dodge Defence Value: 9 (18 when using Untouchable Opponent)

Parry Defence Value (unarmed): 6

Parry Defence Value (armed): 6

Move (Dash): 12 (48 – 96 when using Lightning sprinter)

Join Battle: Wits + Awareness roll + 2 (average 6)

Soak: 7B/5L/2A

Health Levels: 7

NOTES:

He can learn a number of languages equal to his Intelligence + Academics pool (7), and currently knows Classical Greek, English (native language), French, Latin, and Japanese.

Epic Attributes – Grant automatic successes to their possessor. With one dot of Epic Attributes, this equates to one success, with two dots, two successes. Unlike Boons, Epic Attributes do not require the use of a Relic to activate them.

Due to Epic Strength, Galen can lift 2200 lbs. as a diceless action, carry 1250 lbs. without difficulty, and throw an object for quadruple its listed range. Due to Epic Dexterity, Galen’s movement rate is increased as shown. Due to Epic Stamina, Galen can go for one week without water, two weeks without food or sleep, hold his breath for 16 minutes, and maintain strenuous activity for eight days before fatiguing.

Knacks (general) – Specific applications of Epic Attributes (see below)

Knacks (specific):

Arete – Each point in Arete grants one bonus die to the ability allocated to it. Galen can sacrifice two bonus dice for a re-roll, provided that he does so prior to actually rolling.

Cat’s Grace – Galen never suffers knockdown, and ignores all difficulty penalties based on unstable footing and treacherous terrain, though he still suffers speed penalties for moving through ankle- to knee-deep water or mud.

Damage Conversion – For one Legend point, all lethal damage from one incoming attack is converted to bashing damage.

Don’t Read the Manual – For one Legend point, Galen can intuitively use equipment as though he has one die in the appropriate Ability (Control, Marksmanship, etc.). This Knack does not apply if he already has a die in the appropriate Ability.

Fast as Thought – Galen’s Dash and long-term running speed is doubled (this stacks with Lightning Sprinter). In addition, he can traverse any incline of 60 degrees or less for 15 yards before becoming subject to gravity (enabling him to climb walls, to a point).

Fast Learner – Experience point costs for increasing Academics, Medicine, Occult, Politics or Science is halved, rounding down.

Holy Bound – Doubles jumping distances (to 24 yards vertically, 48 yards horizontally).

Instant Investigator – By spending a point of Legend and taking a single, sweeping glance around a crime scene (reflexive Wits + Awareness roll), he can tell what crimes were committed at the scene (if more than one), how many perpetrators were involved, how long ago it happened, roughly the sequence of events that took place, and what measures the perpetrators took to cover up the crime. The difficulty of the roll should reflect how long ago the crime occurred, contamination of the scene, and how thorough the criminals were in covering their tracks. The Knack does not reveal plot-specific information that isn’t readily apparent (like the identities of the perpetrators), but should provide enough clues to develop solid leads that further the story.

Know-It-All – Galen is widely-read, and has a ridiculously broad knowledge base. This is equivalent to the World of Darkness Merit “Encyclopedic Knowledge.”

Lightning Sprinter – For one Legend point, Dash distance is doubled for a scene.

Perfect Pitch – Galen has the innate ability to detect even the subtlest variation in musical pitch, and can even identify phone numbers and security codes by the distinctive key tones.

Self-Healing – For one Legend point, one level of bashing or lethal damage is healed.

Subliminal Warning – Whenever Galen enters an area where danger is waiting, even if he has no reason to suspect he’s in danger, certain tiny clues set his subconscious on edge. As a result, Galen gains a number of extra dice equal to his Epic Perception on the standard (Wits + Awareness) roll to detect the ambush when his attacker strikes.

Titanium Tools – Enables Galen to use improvised weapons (objects) without risk of breaking them due to his own strength.

Untouchable Opponent – For one Legend point, Galen’s Dodge Defence Value is doubled for the scene.

Boons (general): Powers associated with specific Purviews, such as Chaos, Fire, Fertility, etc. These require the use of a Relic to channel them.

Boons (specific):

Ariadne’s Thread – Galen can declare a target (a person, place or thing) and unerringly track where that target has gone by following ther perturbations they leave in the threads of Fate. If the target is a place, Galen can always find his way back there, no matter how disoriented or lost he becomes. This spell’s effect lasts for one day per success rolled (Perception + Survival), but can be increased on a daily basis by spending by spending one Legend point.

Perfect Timing – He always knows the time, down to the second. With a Perception + Science roll, he can pinpoint the direction and distance of supernatural temporal distortions within 100 yards.

The Subtle Knife – For one Legend point per item, he can hide an item (small enough to hold in one hand and conceal in jacket) from notice for a scene. So long as the item is not manipulated in an obvious fashion (drawing money from a wallet, cocking a gun, etc.), and is not placed in such a way that it must be seen (like taped to the screen of a TV the target is watching), it remains undetected. Potential observers’ minds explain away inconsistencies like the scent of a rose, or the bulge of a wallet. The Subtle Knife can be used on living creatures that are small enough to hide in a jacket (a kitten, a raven), but need not actually be hidden – the Boon hides the creature even if Galen’s holding it in his hand, or if it’s perched on his shoulder.

Observers with a Legend score pit their Perception + Awareness against Galen’s Manipulation + Stealth. If Galen nets more successes, the object remains hidden; if not, it is spotted.

The Unlidded Eye – For one Willpower point (and a Perception + Occult roll), this spell allows Galen to see magic and supernatural powers that are normally invisible to mortal sight. It also faintly reveals the threads of Fate that entwine people, revealing strong or thick threads and allowing Galen to determine a Scion or supernatural being’s Legend score.

Unerring Orientation – If the locale is familiar, he knows how to get from any point to any other. If it is unfamiliar, he knows only the compass directions. He can study a map for five minutes and retain the information forever, and for the cost of 1 Legend point, can know the distance and direction to home.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A Physical based Hermes Scion? Not something you'd often see. Seems a little like a waste, to take a template geared towards intelligence and cunning and make them a tank.

Although I do have to wonder, who was the Allied God you were planning on using earlier?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    A Physical based Hermes Scion? Not something you'd often see. Seems a little like a waste, to take a template geared towards intelligence and cunning and make them a tank.
    To a certain point, most Scions reach a certain level of all-around awesomeness as they strive for Godhood - even "weak" Gods like Aphrodite or Hera have levels of Epic Strength and Stamina, because even if they're not focussed on combat, they're just that good. In this case, you're dealing with a character who was primarily an academic, but took advantage of Hermes' Visitation to become the "wandering action hero" ideal: Indiana Jones, like his calling says - or maybe Batman. One of Hermes' favoured Abilities is Athletics, after all . . .

Though you'll note that even with that, he's not really a fighter, skill-wise . . . Not yet, anyway.

Although I do have to wonder, who was the Allied God you were planning on using earlier?
    King Arthur - but I decided that creating a God for the British pantheon (which would require filling in the details that the Companion doesn't talk about) was too much work for what I wanted. Especially since the result basically would've been a Saber clone, and if Saber's going to end up in the Works anyway, there's not too much point in duplicating her - though the laughs might've been fun.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    but took advantage of Hermes' Visitation to become the "wandering action hero" ideal: Indiana Jones, like his calling says - or maybe Batman. One of Hermes' favoured Abilities is Athletics, after all . . .
    Ok. That makes sense. Though I'd call any Legend 3 character with Str 4, Dex 4, and Sta 5, a fighter. And as for the 'weak' gods, they are still 12 legend dieties, they are supposed to be hard to kill. If everyone could punch Loki out when he messes with them, his plans would go off the rails a lot easier.

Blog Entries
    Ok. That makes sense. Though I'd call any Legend 3 character with Str 4, Dex 4, and Sta 5, a fighter.
    Well, like I said - Batman. Though as his divine powers aren't really geared towards fighting (no throwing fireballs, or things like that) (nor skills), he's more into avoidance, or outsmarting his opponents. The physical proficiencies are meant more to help him accomplish things, like wandering through jungles with minimal equipment in search of lost ruins, evading the booby-traps of said ruins, or outrunning a horde of spear-wielding cannibals while yelling, "Start the plane, Jack! Start the plane!"

And as for the 'weak' gods, they are still 12 legend dieties, they are supposed to be hard to kill. If everyone could punch Loki out when he messes with them, his plans would go off the rails a lot easier.
    Well, yeah - but that's my point. Basically every God gains some level of proficiency in all three Attribute areas, whatever their actual focus might be. So his current status isn't necessarily indicative of his final evolution - it's just a stage in the process.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We never did figure out who the girl in the pod would be, huh? (from long ago)

Blog Entries
    Not really. I'd begun the setup to make it Nero, but with the reset, I suppose that won't even occur now . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not really. I'd begun the setup to make it Nero, but with the reset, I suppose that won't even occur now . . .
    Ah. I recently watched some JLA stuff and I found Kara's story kinda interesting. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Ah. I recently watched some JLA stuff and I found Kara's story kinda interesting. Oh well.
    Oh, it's still certainly possible - if a long way in the future - but given the reaction the last time I tried to introduce her, would it be a good idea?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I liked the idea of her winding up as Kurai's kid from the future being the better idea for the lawlz.

Other than that I'm stuck back on which character I really want to use my self. I got a few too many... x.x
    End of an Empire

"I think you just failed... quite spectacularly if I say so my self. Idiot." -I forget who said it originally.

Badass Side-Step

Blog Entries
    OK, a bit of an open question . . .

By now, you've all had a chance to look at my Scion's stats. And if those change, it'll be to a similar character, based on being a Scion of Robin Hood (of the British nationalist pantheon), as seen in this snippet. The change would involve a lot more design work on my part, since I'd have to build the British Overworld and Underworld (the book in which the pantheon appears has no details on them), but it allows me a bit more freedom.

Either way, though, the general concept is the same: an academic/geek turned swashbuckling hero, who specialises in illusions and misdirection. As far as the Works is concerned, he'd be best utilised as a scout, infiltrator, or saboteur.

. . . Anyways, what I'm more interested in is the fact that for the Fourth Grail War, he'll have to summon a Caster-class Servant. I have one in mind (and I think my choice will be a doozy), but is there a particular Caster you think would suit him?

And, of course, assuming that there's a Fifth Grail War following this, is there a particular Servant you'd like to see him partnered with (assuming, of course, that he doesn't end up with the same Caster again)?
    Last edited by Kieran; October 30th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A swashbuckling hero sounds like it would go well with Shakespeare. The geek bit might mesh well Hans Christian Anderson from CCC, or maybe a variation with the Brothers Grimm.

Blog Entries
    A swashbuckling hero sounds like it would go well with Shakespeare.
    True.

The geek bit might mesh well Hans Christian Anderson from CCC,
    I don't know - my Scion might be tempted to throttle him for torturing the Little Mermaid like that.

. . . Honestly, though, I suspect their personalities will not mesh well.

or maybe a variation with the Brothers Grimm.
    And suddenly I'm recalling that awful movie with Matt Damon and Heath Ledger . . . Still, it's a possibility. I'll have to research the brothers themselves - I know a little about them, but I'm light on their personal details.

. . . If I could figure out how, I might try adapting Ichabod Crane - damn Tom Mison for being such a cool actor!

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    ...yeah, I have no comment about this part, Kieran.

Just go with your gut.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Which, so far, goes with my original surprise choice.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Works for me.