Page 350 of 372 FirstFirst ... 250300340345348349350351352355360 ... LastLast
Results 6,981 to 7,000 of 7425

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just HAD to watch "Halloween Kills," didn't I . . . ?

Continuing . . .

Haddonfield, Illinois
    December 14, 1992

“Rachel!”

In her quest to hug her big sister, Jamie didn’t quite fly down the stairs—but her feet didn’t touch all of them either. The twelve-year-old managed to slow down just enough not to knock them both to the floor, but the fact that Rachel’s back was to the closed front door definitely had more than a little to do with that.

Easy, Jamie,” the blonde admonished, though more than a hint of a chuckle ran through her voice as her arms reached out to enfold the smaller girl.

“I’m happy to see you, too—Merry Christmas, kiddo.”

“Merry Christmas, Rachel,” Jamie murmured into her chest.

“Goodness, Jamie,” Mrs. Carruthers admonished, “it’s sweet of you to be so excited to have her home, but you could at least let Rachel get through the door . . .

“It’s OK, Mom—I’ve missed her, too,” Rachel said earnestly, planting a kiss on top of Jamie’s head before looking up, “You too, Andy.”

“Hi, Rachel,” the ten-year-old mumbled shyly from the top of the stairs.

Jamie smiled against her sister. It wasn’t just that Andy and Rachel didn’t know each other very well (because of course, she’d been away at school most of the time he’d been here) that made him shy—no, it was because he’d recently become aware of the fact that Rachel was very pretty. Not that Jamie didn’t know that—she’d always thought so, in fact—but he was a boy, and it meant something different to them. Jamie could have teased him about it, but she didn’t. Rachel was pretty, after all; and it wasn’t like a lot of her schoolmates didn’t have crushes on older boys or girls—or even adult ones, like movie stars.

(And as for Jamie’s own feelings . . . Well, that was between her and her diary.)

“Listen, Mom,” Rachel said, “it’s kind of unfair to ask, but would you and Dad mind if I popped in on Jamie and Andy for a while, and leave you to bring in the luggage? Just for a few minutes.”

Their mother shrugged. “We had your attention for the whole of the drive home, Rachel, so I suppose it’s fair. I’ll leave your things in your room, all right?”

Rachel smiled, and Jamie heard a sound from upstairs (though only because she was listening for it—Andy was still a pretty quiet boy.)

“Thanks, Mom,” Rachel said. “C’mon, kiddo—I’ll tell you two all about school, and you can tell me about everything else . . .”

Once they were ensconced in Jamie’s room, however, Rachel shut the door, and looked at them seriously.

“So,” she said, “any luck finding the Great Pumpkin this year?”

Jamie flinched at the question, setting the owl on her charm bracelet to jingling—which just made it worse, really.

“He’s not the Great Pumpkin, Rachel!” she protested, hurt. The name was Rachel’s idea of a joke, she knew, but Jamie had never found it funny.

Rachel smiled, but her voice was sympathetic as she said, “I know, sweetie.” She took a deep breath, and said, a bit shakily. “I know he’s not.”

Jamie looked at Rachel, looked at the tiredness on her face, and realised that it wasn’t all from the drive home.

“. . . What happened, Rachel?”

Rachel’s eyes took on a look Jamie recognised from the mirror, a few years ago—and from Andy’s eyes, not long after that.

“I was working with an older grad student on a project about urban legends,” she explained. “She was focussed on this one ghost story about somebody called ‘Candyman’ . . .

Avalon Castle, Phantasmagoria Island (Grail Works. Ltd. Headquarters)
    Beyond the boundaries of time and space (but roughly six hours earlier, relatively speaking)

“This is getting ridiculous,” Frid growled as he stumbled into the office. “Honestly, is the family cursed? Is that what this is?”

“If it is, it’s a weird one,” Ilya said. “I can think of at least a dozen curses more efficient at killing people, in several senses of the term, than by throwing supernatural killers at them. And that’s just off the top of my head, really.”

“Maybe so,” the Exalt allowed. “But to quote a favourite book, ‘once is happenstance, twice is coincidence—but three times is enemy action.’ There’s something else going on here, and I have a nasty feeling that we need to know what it is . . .

Haddonfield, Illinois
    December 14, 1992

“. . . And when I asked questions—how he’d done that, who he was, all he said was that ‘You needed saving, and that’s what we do—besides, Jamie would be sad if anything happened to you, and that would be terrible.’”

Jamie, who had figured had where the story was going about midway through it, blushed.

“. . . And while I got distracted by a noise and didn’t actually see anything happen, I’m sure the pair of you can guess what I saw flying away when I turned my head back,” Rachel said, a bit grumpily. “So, I think I need to hear this all again, kids, and to really pay attention, this time—who and what is ‘The Owl Man,’ exactly . . .?”

Beyond the boundaries of time and space (but not long after January 8, 1993 on Jamie’s Earth)

Frid didn’t so much stumble into the office as collapse. Several injuries were still bleeding, and he cursed not-so-quietly under his breath nearly as many languages.

Ilya, being what she was, understood them all—but mentally boiled them down to “bullshit joke slasher franchise mascots and their even MORE bullshit ability to warp reality . . .

“Rough time?” she asked, with only a little bit of mockery mixed in with her sympathetic tone.

. . . That,” he wheezed, “was one of the Fair Folk. Never mind the slasher pageantry; that was basically one of the Princes of the Wyld, chaos manifest, and at least half the reason the Exaltations weren’t just revoked after the gods of Creation finished overthrowing their progenitors. . .”

Ilya thought he was making kind of a big deal out of one leprechaun. Fairies were kind of high-tier as far as Phantasmal Species went, admittedly; but compared to kind of specimens he could have been dealing with, and his general power level, it seemed like a bit of an overreaction to her.

Not that there wasn’t actually a problem . . .

“I thought this was a low-mana world, Ilya,” he groaned. “Barely any magic to speak of. . . So how did we go from demonic curses to divine invocations, to murderous spectral manifestations, to that—and in less than five years, their time?”

Ah, so he had caught it.

“. . . I’m still trying to figure that out,” the Grail spirit admitted. “Something’s building, that’s for sure, but I can’t get a fix on the source. For a while, I thought it might be you—

“Not a chance,” he fired back. “My Exaltation is a fragment of divinity; it doesn’t generate anywhere near enough power to affect changes on a scale like this. You’d need full-on Primordials, or at least a pantheon of actual gods, not somebody with a piece of one deity grafted to them.”

“You’re right,” she admitted. “I don’t think your Essence is causing this—but whatever is responsible is feeding on it, just the same . . . And like you just said, it’s divine-level magic.”

“. . . So, I should stop showing up?”

Ilya was quiet for a moment, then shook her head. “No. Whatever this is, it’s already in motion, and I don’t know what’ll happen if we break the pattern, yet—given what it’s already done, do you want to see what it’ll do if it decides not just to escalate like it’s been doing, but that it needs to provoke a response . . .?”

Frid winced. “Yeah—if that happens, we’ll probably end up dealing with the plot of F—

The intended words died in his throat, and an entirely different sound took their place.

—Uck.

“. . . I beg your pardon?” Ilya said, with a little less mockery mixed in with her offended tone.

“Ilya,” he said carefully, “Rachel Carruthers was supposed to die on October 31, 1989—and there’s another slasher-ish franchise that’s all about Death acting to collect their due. . .Often in ridiculously complicated and increasingly horrific ways.”

“That would fit,” she admitted—and Frid swore he could actually feel his heart stop—“but Jamie’s been a target as or more often than Rachel, so it doesn’t add up.”

Thank Luna for small mercies; he really didn’t feel like having to try to figure out how to try and fight Death itself . . .

“Still,” she murmured thoughtfully, seemingly oblivious to the multiple near-death experiences her remarks were putting him through, “it didn’t really start again until she failed to die, did it? The doll, the ghost, this—all of it came after that point.”

“Jamie would die—” Frid stopped.

He couldn’t say it. It was ugly, and brutal, and not at all what the sweet little girl deserved—as a person, character or actress, since they’d replaced the latter without so much as a by-your-leave . . . But Ilya needed to know.

“Jaime would die on October 30th, 1995,” he said heavily, “fleeing her uncle, after having given birth to what’s either heavily implied or outright stated, depending on the cut of the film, to be their son. She would be impaled on a corn thresher and then have it turned on—or, in a “kinder” fate, shot in the hospital after being found that way, never having had the chance to wake up.”

He looked at her. “Rachel was just stabbed, and if that somehow triggered all of this . . . How much escalating are we looking at here?”

How much worse would the driving force behind this push back, when a far more brutal—if no less perfunctory—murder was undone . . .?

By way of answer, the Grail spirit’s eyes unfocussed, in that way which meant she was looking across time, space, and possibilities—but the moment was brief, as she almost immediately snapped back to look at him grimly.

“. . . How soon can you be ready to go again?”
    Last edited by Kieran; January 23rd, 2022 at 12:33 PM.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    While we're probably not following Fate metaphysics in this Halloween world, this reminds me of how Quantum Time-locks are supposed to work, where certain outcomes are immutable in the course of history, and trying to change them in any significant way just gets you more and more pushback from the World. Except much smaller scale and pettier. Thinking about it, it's probably Godafrid's weird fate-bending nature that makes this worse, not his Exaltation, because he very much can go "screw destiny" any time he intervenes, but in this case, he's generating a stronger-and-stronger response each time, like stretching an elastic, or winding a catapult. Very fitting.

Godafrid's suffering is quite funny here. Between the leprechaun and Ilya tempting fate (or confirming his worst fears), he is not having a good (ambiguous period beyond the boundaries of time and space comparable to a week). Hopefully Ilya can keep them close-enough to real-time so he can actually get some sleep.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; January 23rd, 2022 at 02:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    While we're probably not following Fate metaphysics in this Halloween world, this reminds me of how Quantum Time-locks are supposed to work, where certain outcomes are immutable in the course of history, and trying to change them in any significant way just gets you more and more pushback from the World. Except much smaller scale and pettier. Thinking about it, it's probably Godafrid's weird fate-bending nature that makes this worse, not his Exaltation, because he very much can go "screw destiny" any time he intervenes, but in this case, he's generating a stronger-and-stronger response each time, like stretching an elastic, or winding a catapult. Very fitting.
    There's some of that, yes - another aspect has yet to be revealed . . .

Glad you approve, though.

Godafrid's suffering is quite funny here. Between the leprechaun and Ilya tempting fate (or confirming his worst fears), he is not having a good (ambiguous period beyond the boundaries of time and space comparable to a week).
    I admit, part of this was realizing that the original Candyman film also took place in Chicago - Cabrini Green, specifically - like Child's Play, in a timeframe close to Halloween 4 and Child's Play 2 (1988 and 1990, respectively). So it could make a certain sense to have them connect; and it's a bit more survivable than if I chose to include, say Hellraiser 3 - which, while made around the same time (and a franchise owned by the same studio as the Halloween franchise), is a lot less survivable.

As for Iubdan - well, he does travel, after all . . . And it is, as stated, the sort of "joke slasher" that would irritate the hell out of Frid on several levels to be dealing with; especially when it turns out the little bastard is puissant enough to be an actual threat.

Hopefully Ilya can keep them close-enough to real-time so he can actually get some sleep.
    . . . Is that you asking for a Nightmare on Elm Street crossover? Because it sounds like you asking for a Nightmare on Elm Street crossover . . .

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    There's some of that, yes - another aspect has yet to be revealed . . .
    Furious speculation ensues. The Demiplane of Dread is an obvious choice, it's a Halloween-y place, and would certainly feed off of Godafrid's power in some way, because they're linked. Dead by Daylight's Entity has similarly been referenced before, has a wide variety of Killers... actually, Freddy Kruger and Michael Myers are literally in Dead by Daylight, so that does feel more likely.

. . . Is that you asking for a Nightmare on Elm Street crossover? Because it sounds like you asking for a Nightmare on Elm Street crossover . . .
    This is me attempting to exploit variable time-flow planes, except not even, because it doesn't sound like these incidents happen back-to-back in the Halloween world, so there's no reason for Ilya to be fast-forwarding except to get it over with, or because it's otherwise difficult to not go fast, for some reason (energy cost of maintaining the connection?)

However, in the context of Godafrid continuing to have a bad day, I can't deny that does sound really funny.

Blog Entries
    . . . And now I have issues getting the muse to focus . . .

All right - at the moment, I have six different(-ish) ideas I could post at some point this weekend (assuming I can get enough focus and time to do so). I'm going to lay them out, in case there's a preference:

1) I can continue the above - I do actually have a plan for this.

2) I can do another snippet of the Pretty Little Liars crossover; I still have the rest of the pilot to slog through, if nothing else (it's just tedious to copy out scenes, but you need the context, so . . .)

3) I can go even further on the "Frid Torture Scale" and make it Sweet Valley High, instead; which is a soap opera series of books I couldn't escape growing up that also involved a set of blonde twins, and which I mostly remember because the TV series was run and advertised ad nauseam (though I'll admit, the theme song was catchy). Plot-wise, I'd have to build it a bit more from scratch, but between the sliding time scale of the books and the fact that it actually introduced supernatural elements like vampires and werewolves, it might be possible to do something with it.

4) That alternate Anarchy ending - a deus ex machina I really didn't want to use (partially because it is one, partially because it was a shameless ripoff), but now that the story's over and done with, I could put it up.

5) I can do a "Sin Eater Frid" idea - and if I tell you more, it'll spoil it.

6) Yet another potential sequel idea (which would require a fair bit of research), albeit one more in line with this board's purpose: "Frid lands in the Tsukihime remake." Just different enough to mess with his general knowledge, and it may end up explaining why Arcueid and the Tohnos never mention Ciel . . .?
    Last edited by Kieran; January 27th, 2022 at 09:52 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

That is some variety. I'd lean slightly towards 1, 4, 5, 6 over 2 and 3, since your language choice implies Pretty Little Liars is feeling like a slog, and I'm unsure if Sweet Valley High is better on that front?

6 seems like a bit of work, but might be worthwhile to explore your options. 4 is making me think of Kreacher killing Voldemort, would probably be fun to see some time. 1 and 5 both seem like continuations of existing snippets, and I'm here for either, though I do have to wonder if that "Sin Eater Frid" is continuing the previous snippets in Konosuba or not.

Blog Entries
    That is some variety. I'd lean slightly towards 1, 4, 5, 6 over 2 and 3, since your language choice implies Pretty Little Liars is feeling like a slog,
    Once I get out of the pilot, it'll get better; and I've even thought of a way to do the actual story in-line with the Works' timeline - I just need to mix continuities a bit.

See, in the books, while the Liars are the same age when things kick off, Ali's been missing for three years, and they were published in 2006. If I take that starting point, but maintain the "missing for one year" schtick of the TV series, that puts them at 2004/now . . .

and I'm unsure if Sweet Valley High is better on that front?
    Oh, almost certainly not. The books are the definition of soap opera, the TV series was a comedic half-hour take produced by Saban Entertainment of all things . . . On the other hand, its sliding timescale (the novels' 20-year run actually covers only six, in-universe, but would make them rough peers of the Works' cast) and the existence of a Clock Tower-sponsored organisation in their home state gives me at least some basis to adapt things . . .

Pretty Little Liars is probably the better option, though. If only that damned theme song wasn't so catchy . . .

6 seems like a bit of work, but might be worthwhile to explore your options.
    Yeah - it will require research, and thus probably won't be ready by Sunday, but as a sequel idea, I'm tempted . . .

(Hell, he'll be summoning a Servant to protect himself from the Tsukihime cast, if nothing else.)

4 is making me think of Kreacher killing Voldemort, would probably be fun to see some time.
    Someday . . . Maybe this week, maybe next . . .?

1 and 5 both seem like continuations of existing snippets, and I'm here for either, though I do have to wonder if that "Sin Eater Frid" is continuing the previous snippets in Konosuba or not.
    Not at present, though it could be considered related . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Option Five it is . . .

Sometime after the Great Holy Grail War

“From the shards of tattered dreams I rose, unwilling; tossed upon tides of pain which flowed and ebbed, leaving me searingly awake—and more revoltingly, alive . . .

The harsh voice spoke words, which he understood, and certainly agreed with—but where the voice came from, and how he knew that it had an accent, or whose voice it even was, he didn’t know. He didn’t know a lot of things, when he could actually think about it—the pain made it so hard to focus . . .

“—offer no certainties; even willingly allowed, such an act—not meant to be possible. It will cause pain, and I cannot—I will endeavour to—”

Another voice, and more words; it was more solid, somehow, but even more fragmented, at the same time. And there was no context—what was she talking about?

“When it starts, try to remember the reason you’re doing this—it might help with the pain.”

“I’ve felt pain before.”

“Not like this.”

More voices—male and female this time, but different again, and back to the ephemeral sense of reality the first had carried. It was like they were dreams, or pieces of dreams, but without the whole . . . What was he hearing, and why . . .?

“It is a rare reward indeed, to be given a—hope you treasure it sincere—”

As he parsed the new sentence fragments, they brought with them a new sensation—touch. Warmth and cold, combined and unexpected, flowed through his being, bringing with them some notion of the limits and definition of his self (he was not yet aware enough to call it a “body”). The warmth was soft, delicate and brief; the cold somehow invigorating rather than chilling, sending a tingling sensation of energy through him—

And then, his sense memory latched onto the same sensations, amplified. Cold deep enough to burn and fire hot enough to numb raced through him, coalescing the pain into a great wave that hurled him into darkness—and even as he sank into the abyss of oblivion, a final, faint hymn reached his consciousness.

“Soul of the mind, key to life’s ether;
    Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel . . .
    Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended . . .
    So the world might be mended . . .”

Unknown place, unknown time

It was the pain that woke him—a sudden spasm of his body, brought on by a white-hot jolt which sizzled along his nerves until it left the impression of being a full-body bruise, at least. It wasn’t his worst pain—he thought—but it was definitely something that caught his attention.

. . . Eventually, Frid realised that he was still alive—he was Frid, wasn’t he? Or was he Kurai, or—?

Hang on . . .

Hurt too much to want to move, but I still can—so I’m probably still alive, even if it smells like I died—or something did . . .Skin’s paler than Kurai, and more muscular than me, so Frid’s a decent bet . . . Assuming that wasn’t a hallucination or dream, anyway.

God knew, the whole “Grail Works” thing seemed like the kind of thing his subconscious would come up with, never mind the haziness of his more recent memories.

A quick scrub of his face with one palm (well “quick” for someone moving with literally agonising slowness) revealed no glasses or tangibly inhuman features—granted, he wouldn’t necessarily feel moonsilver tattoos, for example, but pointed ears and such were easy to check for. Finding none, his arm dropped to one side, and he closed his eyes against a sudden wave of dizziness. It felt like his insides had been hollowed, the void inside was dragging his mind spiralling down into oblivion . . .

Head rush, a sardonic whisper in the back of his mind murmured. It was the standard response in his family when light-headedness struck; usually as a result of standing up too quickly from a crouch or bending over, causing the edges of his vision to blur, as well.

And given that he was presently lying on the ground, Frid fuzzily thought that was a bad sign. He hadn’t felt this awful since his last bout with the flu, and this was like he’d slammed into concrete going full tilt on top of that; what the hell had happened . . .? And why did it smell so bad—?

And if he curled up and kept his eyes closed, would it all just go away?

. . . Eventually, the insistent ache in his shoulder from whatever he was lying on convinced him that first, no, the universe was not going to just leave him alone—and that second, if he didn’t move soon, the pinching of that nerve was going to leave his whole arm numb.

He hated when that happened—rubbing feeling back into it was always such a literal pain . . .

With a weak groan that nevertheless expressed how deeply he regretted moving, he began to shift, opening his eyes to behold—

“A FUCKING GARBAGE DUMP?!

Yelling had been a mistake—now the stink of the place was in his mouth . . .

Resisting the urge to throw up (not remembering his last meal, he had no idea what would come out if he tried), he did his best to stand up immediately without touching anything, even as a shudder of revulsion ran through his body. As a hypochondriac germaphobe (or a germophobic hypochondriac? He wasn’t sure which was accurate), his present position was the stuff of nightmares. No matter what had happened or where he was, he wasn’t spending any more time in this place than he absolutely had to.

OK, so this universe, wherever it is, hates me more than most of them; either that or it just has a sick sense of humour—is this supposed to be a metaphor . . .? Never mind, look around! Not just for exits—what’s here? What does it say about where we are . . .?

This
    looks like modern garbage, he decided at last. A lot of visible plastic . . . At a guess, then, I’m somewhere on Earth in the mid-twentieth to early twenty-first century—and if they’re not recycling, err on the former side of the scale.

That was . . . Well, not great, but workable. At least it was familiar, probably—if it was before 1980, he’d likely have issues. Moreso if he was still in Romania (he had been there, right? Or had it been a dream, after all?), or back in Japan; he didn’t know enough of either country’s history to know what to expect of them, then. Hadn’t Romania been part of the USSR . . .?

I need to move very, very carefully, he decided, looking around for a way out—and maybe to get a better sense of his when and where.

He was somewhere indoors, dark enough that he immediately thought “underground”; a quick glance up showed him something that looked like a chute . . .?

Not just a
    dump, but—oh, please tell me this isn’t the Death Star’s trash compactor . . . No, not enough water. But somewhere industrial, given the size of the bloody thing.

There weren’t any obvious labels on anything he could see, which made it more difficult to identify where he might be in the general sense. After all, the script he’d seen in Trifas—whether from the Fate/apocrypha anime’s location designs, or actual experience, he still wasn’t sure; his immediate memory was too muddled—would definitely prove he was still in Romania. Major use of Japanese characters would point to the same, though not definitively; lots of manufacturers printed multiple options before shipping things globally, after all . . .

For him, he was dressed in clothes that looked like they’d belong in Trifas: denim pants and a long-sleeved shirt that felt like the same; colours were limited to “dark,” given the present lighting. His footwear consisted of heavy boots that zipped up along the inner tibia—snow boots, maybe? Work boots or combat boots were also a possibility, but something he’d never worn in his life—any of them, assuming he wasn’t delusional (more than usual, at least).

The whole thing was covered by a long overcoat that had runic impressions literally woven into the fabric. Of the whole ensemble, however, only the boots looked completely intact; the jeans were stained (he shuddered to think with what), and the coat was both stained and torn—or ripped, at least? Something had gone through it, it looked like, but he didn’t feel a corresponding wound . . .?

What the
    hell did I get myself into . . .?

Whatever it had been, he looked like a vagrant—and given the smell he’d undoubtedly picked up from lying in a place like this (he was not thinking about the likely diseases, as well), he’d have a hard time convincing anyone he wasn’t. Searching the clothes, however, turned up a wallet in a hidden pocket in the coat. It had three different identification cards (one of them reading “Godafrid Úa Súilleabháin,” which did match those impressions of Trifas), and a credit card for each—which expired in 2005, and so might not be useful, depending on when, exactly, he was. The physical currency in the wallet, however, added up to a thousand American dollars in cash and coins; all of them several decades old, even accounting for the fact that Trifas had been in 2004.

Makes sense—U.S. currency is accepted just about anywhere, even preferred, at any time post-World War II. If I needed emergency funds that weren’t particularly traceable, it’d be my go-to choice.

(And, if the whole Trifas thing had been real, it might’ve been—the guy had seemed like an analogue of himself . . .)

So, he could at least afford a hotel room (and a bath), assuming he could find one within walking distance. That would give him a chance to catch his breath and work out whether or not he could call Ilya, or needed to do something more drastic, like a Servant summoning (for some reason, he had a sense that that would work, if he tried it).

But first, he needed to get out of here, wherever that was.

And into an industrial decontamination shower, snarked that inner voice of his, preferably with an incinerator close by for the clothes.

(The disgust was shivering halfway up his spine before he could stop it—he had to stop it, or he never would stop . . .)

He couldn’t see an obvious exit—not that he’d really expected one. He had literally been pushed through a garbage chute, into whatever this place was; you wanted to segregate garbage . . . But this couldn’t be its intended final resting place, so how did they get it out of here . . .?

And failing that, can I climb back up . . .?

By now, the level of pain had dulled itself down to something approaching what used to be his “normal”: stiff and sore, with a general sense of aches and pains that came with being middle-aged and in largely poor health and fitness. Except that a second, closer look showed a lot more muscle tone than he’d ever had back then, so obviously that wasn’t the case.

And the lack of its flaring with any particular movements implied that he had no recent injuries, either—which was really surprising, given the state of his clothes—so why was he hurting so much . . .?

As there’s no physical cause notable, maybe try looking for a metaphysical one?

Standing in place, he closed his eyes and breathed as deeply as he dared given the presence of such stench, trying to centre himself and see if he could determine a mental or magical reason for feeling like he’d been run over by an eighteen-wheeler . . .

He found nothing.

More specifically, there were no mental switches to indicate shape-changing capability, or any other supernatural abilities that need to be turned on; no memorised spells or rituals to summon powers beyond mortal ken—there was just a sense of numbness. Either he’d done something so overwhelming that he’d overstressed everything for the time being, or he was somehow stuck without any powers at all.

. . . Well, that argues for the whole Grail Works thing being a hallucination—except I wouldn’t look like this if it had been.

Still, he looked athletic enough; climbing might be worth a try . . .

It was, as it turned out, but it was in no way easy. He had to jump up, spread-eagle himself to catch the edges of the chute, and then inch his way upwards—something that took more than a little trial-and-error (many, many errors—very painful errors) to achieve. Then he got to the lid of the chute . . .

Which, of course, opened downward.

Wasting several seconds on cursing in every language he could remember, Frid (for lack of a better name; and it was on his ID, after all) tried kicking the hatch in, but couldn’t get enough leverage to do it properly. In desperation, he tried grabbing at an edge and pulling it down with his own weight—which did work (the second time he tried it)—only to face a long, gruelling scrabble up the over the edge.

. . . Finally, filthy, battered and scraped, he crawled onto the floor of what looked like some form of industrial kitchen, and sagged in complete total exhaustion.

I am,
    Frid decided, absolutely done with all of this. No force on this planet—whichever planet it happens to be—is going to make do anything other than lie down here and wait to die . . .

“Ladies and gentlemen,” an intercom broadcast announced, “thank you for visiting, and we hope you enjoyed the show. Freddy and the gang are pretty tired, but they’ll be back again next week, after a few days of scheduled maintenance . . . Freddy Fazbear’s Mega PizzaplexTM has now closed. Initiating nighttime protocols.”

He shot bolt upright in horror. “OH, COME ON—!

The last thing Frid heard was a screech—and then, darkness . . .

“My daughter, if you can hear me, I knew you would return as well. It’s in your nature to protect the innocent.”

He was right—it was her nature. It had driven her to become what she had, to do what she’d done . . .

“I’m sorry that on that day—the day you were shut out and left to die—no one was there to lift you into their arms, the way you lifted others into yours. And then, what became of you . . . I should have known you wouldn’t be content to disappear—not my daughter. I couldn’t save you then, so let me save you now. It’s time to rest, for you, and for those you have carried in your arms—this ends, for all of us . . .”

And indeed, it might have ended, but for one soul—one of her charges who refused to let go, refused to give up their hatred, and the object of it—which meant that, much as she wished to listen to her father, there were innocents who would need her protection. . . But no way back remained for her to help—her vessel was long since destroyed . . .

Until.

He was a grown-up, not someone she normally would have bothered with—but he’d been touched by forces in ways that meant she could use him. It wouldn’t be the same as before; she would be relying on him to do most of the heavy lifting—but it was a way back, a way to help . . .

A way to stop him.

To her surprise, he recognised her, though she did not know him—he even knew her name. Still, it made communicating easier, and would hopefully make their partnership a successful one. The Bargain was struck, and she flowed into the cracks of his dying soul, to mend them back together in an entirely different way than she was used to, and carry them both back through the Twilight . . .

Frid awoke, finding a green bracelet on his wrist: the symbol of his being newly-Bound, as it was the Keystone of the girl formerly known as Charlotte Emily, now the Geist known as The Puppet—in essence, her unbeating heart.

With a thought, he sent it back into Twilight, where it would be safe—but the presence of The Puppet failed to fade with it. They were one and the same now, in many ways, united in body, soul, and purpose.

While Frid was far from fully-informed about this place—the game had still been in development when he had stumbled into the Works—his other was absolutely sure that William Afton was around somewhere, continuing his old habits. And that, really, was all he needed to know.

Which breaks this down into me, with an entirely new body, as well as a new—and honestly, weaker—set of powers, versus several killer animatronics and an undead serial killer-animatronic hybrid . . .

This, Frid thought, was going to be one hell of a night.

Insecurity: A Sin-Eater Story (FNAF: Security Breach crossover)

Writer Notes: Of the three near-complete snippets I had available, this was the first one to be really ready. And while I probably should have used Little Red Riding Hood, as per earlier installments, (and very likely could, with little adjustment, since Vanny is implied to be active for some time before the game starts), the Puppet seemed appropriate . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; January 30th, 2022 at 08:08 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I knew that start looked familiar, was trying to place it, and wondering why I kept expecting Rena to show up.

Oh, now I CAN place the fragmented quote, that's Astraea. Excellent. That doesn't add a ton by knowing the context (although the "touch" is much funnier), but it is nice to see it over a year before that epilogue was published. There's something very compelling about Godafrid becoming a Sin-eater not by dimensional shenanigans, but outright being killed by whatever hostile environment he finds himself in after the ending of Anarchy. For snippet purposes, it probably makes sense to do that up-front, though I do wonder how it would feel to have un-powered Godafrid for a little while. I suppose climbing out of the chute gave us a taste of how that would be, to some extent.

Blog Entries
    I knew that start looked familiar, was trying to place it, and wondering why I kept expecting Rena to show up.
    It was intended to be the Sin-Eater version's original introduction, and not hard to adapt to the setting, as it has a "garbage area" (and a trash compactor, too - poor Chica).

Oh, now I CAN place the fragmented quote, that's Astraea. Excellent. That doesn't add a ton by knowing the context (although the "touch" is much funnier), but it is nice to see it over a year before that epilogue was published.
    While I'm often impulsive (dare I say, whimsical even, in a very literal sense) when I write, when I actually do sit down and really make a plan, I plan for the long term . . .

There's something very compelling about Godafrid becoming a Sin-eater not by dimensional shenanigans, but outright being killed by whatever hostile environment he finds himself in after the ending of Anarchy.
    Right? It's part of what makes the idea so appealing . . . Also the lower power scale, etc., that I've discussed before.

For snippet purposes, it probably makes sense to do that up-front, though I do wonder how it would feel to have un-powered Godafrid for a little while. I suppose climbing out of the chute gave us a taste of how that would be, to some extent.
    True on both counts - and if it was Red he Bargained with, I'd probably need to change things a bit to make it make more sense (and especially if I made the changes I planned to). But essentially, there wouldn't be a lot of difference . . .?

Being a Sin-Eater gives him broader options, but not much direct help against the animatronics' numbers and advanced tech (beyond a stubborn inability to be killed, to a point). If it was the actually haunted animatronics, it'd be different - but the Glamrock crew are (apparently) "just" really advanced AIs, so there's not a lot about them he can affect, whether Sin-Eater or mortal - depending on the Keys and Manifestations that Puppet lets him access, of course.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Imperfections (AKA, if the PLL snippets end up following series canon)

Beacon Heights
    Beacon Heights, Oregon
    May 16, 2024

Alison DiLaurentis had hoped for many things in moving to Beacon Heights. A chance to finish her teaching degree while she worked as a TA, a chance to reinvent herself outside of Rosewood, a chance to get a truly fresh start; away from her teenage years and all they’d entailed—and maybe, finally, to heal from some of the damage they’d inflicted.

What was it Spencer had said? “Hope breeds eternal misery . . .?

Staring into the depths of her wineglass, Alison reflected that Spencer, as usual, knew exactly what she was talking about—or whoever she was pretentiously quoting did.

God, she missed Spencer. And Hanna. And Aria. And Emily’s absence, as always, was a bleeding wound in her heart . . .

(And it terrified Alison that she could ache so much for her; almost as much as the fact that she could go on without her . . .)

A dim corner of Alison’s mind was aware that she’d probably had too much to drink—not that she was planning on going anywhere. She was too new to the campus to have made friends, or much of any impression on things.

So how, Alison asked herself, have I wound up back on the hamster wheel I left Rosewood to escape . . .?

A week ago, Nolan Hotchkiss had been murdered. As a student of Beacon Heights, he’d been by definition one of the rich and elite. As both the big man on a campus that prided itself on being highly competitive and successful with it, and the son of the dean, he’d been at the very top of a very steep social stratum. He’d also been an entitled jackass, from Alison’s only in-class interaction with him, so in that sense, his murder didn’t surprise her; nor did the apparent wealth of suspects—being popular, as she knew all too well, rarely equated to being well-liked . . .

Still, the similarities to her past unnerved her. And they only got worse with the fact that Beacon Guard, the technological security wonder monitoring everyone (she deliberately did not look up to the red light of the “discreet” camera opposite her) across campus 24/7, somehow failed to have any usable information on the murder—or the murderer’s identity.

Alison didn’t like that at all—not just for the facts themselves, but that it was all too familiar to her. And the fact that all this occurred almost to the day of her arrival on-campus had all her nerves on edge, half-waiting for a text or other cryptic and/or threatening message from “A” . . .

It never came, of course—and it never would—but the sensation of being a piece in someone else’s game was creeping down her spine, and Alison burned with the need to do something about it.

. . . Maybe that was why she’d interfered, when that homicide detective had questioned her three students—lied, to give them an alibi for the murder. She had no idea where they’d actually been, after all . . . But the detective’s relentless style had given her flashbacks to all the times the cops had given them a hard time, and she’d seen something in the kids’ expressions—

Alison snorted to herself at the thought—kids? They were what, maybe six years younger than her, at most?

. . . Regardless, the furtive looks, the speaking in hushed tones—and undertones when they did speak clearly—the hesitant postures . . .? She’d seen those before, too. She’d lived under the shadows that produced them, and she was trying to be better . . .

Alison sighed.

The smart thing to do, the blonde reminded herself, would’ve been to call Spencer, and see what she could do about getting Dylan and Ava good legal representation. Caitlin was less of a concern given that she was a senator’s daughter—if her mom didn’t have a high-powered law firm, never mind lawyer, on speed-dial, then Alison was somehow in a parallel universe.

(It was tempting to wish for that, for a moment—it would explain how everything had fallen apart in a way that could be fixed . . .)

Instead, she’d entangled herself in whatever mess those three were involved in, or were about to be involved in; without hesitation, almost without thinking—

(I was
    trying to be better than I was—wasn’t I?)

—And this time, she didn’t have the girls for support. She had no one at all . . .

A memory bubbled up through the not-quite-drunken haze on her mind at that thought, and she got up, walked out into the hallway and stared at her front door.

Nothing came through it. No one even knocked.

Alison sighed again, and went out the door herself—she obviously needed to sober up, and the fresh air could only help . . .

As if to confirm her belief, the front door led to her porch.

And as if to mock her belief, the full moon hung brightly in the sky.

“. . . What the hell?” she muttered wearily, staring at it until her eyes threatened to water. “Who else am I going to talk to—Beacon Guard?

“I’m in trouble,” Alison said bluntly to the celestial orb. “I’ve screwed up and made a mess of . . . Well, everything, but it seems to be all I’m good for, lately. Maybe it was all I was ever good for. . .” She shook her head.

“The latest mess,” she said, concentrating hard on the words, to keep herself from drunkenly rambling—bad enough she was talking to the Moon, she might as well watch what she said—“reminds me of Rosewood. The more time I spend here, the more it seems like I brought Rosewood with me. And that scares me.”

(No wonder Emily—)

Alison told herself the blurring of her vision, the wetness forming in her eyes, was from the pain of staring into the bright light of the full moon. She at least halfway believed it.

(She’d always been good at lying—that was half the problem . . .)

“I need help,” she admitted. “I could call the girls, and I know that they’d come . . . But that would just drag them back into this all over again, and I can’t do that to them—it’s bad enough that I’m here . . .

“I’m trying to be better,” she whispered—trying to not to make it a sob. “I really am . . .

(Maybe the problem was that she just couldn’t be. . .)

“. . . I need someone,” she begged the sky. “Please. . . God, look at me! I’m talking to the Moon like you’ll hear me doing it somehow, because she’s your patron goddess—like that makes any sense at all . . .! I feel like a complete IDIOT, but I don’t know what else to DO!

Chest heaving from the force of her scream, Alison sank to her knees, wrung out and blinded by stinging tears.

“You told me that you came whenever there was no hope left,” she whispered, “Does it still count if all I hope for is you . . .?

Writer's Notes: Working on the Halloween snippets, oddly, brought this scene to mind - the song played a part, as well.

Obviously, this is non-canon (so far) to the already non-canon (again, so far) Pretty Little Liars snippets, since it presupposes that the series' canon stayed on the rails more or less despite the Works' intervention . . . But like I said, I find Alison fascinating, as a character, and the scene just wouldn't leave me alone . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; February 2nd, 2022 at 11:55 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Sorry I didn't spot this yesterday. That's quite far into the hypothetical realm, but one of the strengths of snippets is that you can pick the interesting points without worrying too much about continuity, so it's good to see some of these more-sympathetic points to Alison. You've mentioned her as a person who is... morally ambiguous, but has the potential to be good, and having context for that fills out Godafrid's motivation a bit for me. Adds some depth to his reflection at the end of the last Pretty Little Liars snippet.

Blog Entries
    Sorry I didn't spot this yesterday.
    No worries - between when I posted it and the way certain threads get bumped up, I half-expected it not to get noticed until my next snippet.

That's quite far into the hypothetical realm, but one of the strengths of snippets is that you can pick the interesting points without worrying too much about continuity,
    This is true.

so it's good to see some of these more-sympathetic points to Alison. You've mentioned her as a person who is... morally ambiguous, but has the potential to be good, and having context for that fills out Godafrid's motivation a bit for me. Adds some depth to his reflection at the end of the last Pretty Little Liars snippet.
    Yeah, this is closer to Alison as I was introduced to her - since, as I've noted, I started with The Perfectionists - albeit perhaps a bit more stressed . . .

These videos contain the key points of how I remember her (forgive the subtitles; they're the best ones I could find that covered everything) in regards to her personal development). Whatever her sins as a teenager (and they were many and dark, it's undeniable), she had learned; she was trying . . . Granted, the issues in The Perfectionists are down to narrative convenience, since Shay Mitchell (Emily) wasn't in the new series, and they wanted to free Alison up for future romantic entanglements/drama, but it's a fairly crappy ending, considering she was happy when Pretty Little Liars actually ended.

. . . Now, it's highly unlikely that with the Works involved, it will end the same way; but hopefully this at least partly explains why I find myself so drawn to Ali.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 20: All Twisting Together into a Cohesive Whole

Mordred smirks on camera, Excalibur on her shoulder, before she walks forwards to the microphone. Her Captain’s uniform is immaculate, green eyes flashing in the light.

Then she pauses, looking at the cue cards, and frowns. “Why the hell are you assholes giving me signs to read?”

“Your highness! It’s because you have to deal with diplomacy! If you die after having pulled the sword out, it’ll bring ruin to our country!” A bureaucrat shouts, then blinks at her, one moment being on camera, then the next having her sword impaling the cue card reader off camera.

Then Mordred Pendragon walks back on camera, the cue card reader hanging off of Excalibur.

“So. I’m the new King of England, and the Captain of PAB Wolfen, a prototype testbed ship made by a mad genius like out of one of those science fiction films.” Mordred leans forwards, green eyes looking into the camera directly, as she smiles.

Wolfen’s eyes narrow, as she studies the angry bureaucrat. Something about him looks wrong to her.

“You’re expecting me to say how it’s all going to be fine, right?” She asks, studying the camera directly.

A long moment, as she pulls back, and looks over the room, especially at Wolfen happily snacking on the Carolina Reapers and other hot sauces, hot peppers, and more that Mordred had asked to be ‘requisitioned’ early that morning.

Then Mordred turns to the camera. “That’s not perfectly true, though, is it? A lot of people have died. And my father would be ashamed to see how far Britain has fallen without knights to protect it. Weapons for its citizens to guard themselves with. Protectors and defenders to rise up age after age. Where are they now?” She asks, quietly.

Wolfen thinks, studying the bureaucrat, before she spots the issue. Catching Warspite’s eyes with her own, she looks pointedly at the bureaucrat, then radios her. “Possible spy. That man’s been dead for some time now.

“Long gone with the knights of yore?” Mordred asks, glancing at said bureaucrat desperately trying to order the broadcast to be shut off, and starting to look confused at the broadcast still going, no matter what he says to do.

“No. Now you have shipgirls, instead of older legends.” Mordred continues. “And I’m the Captain of one of them. But before I was a shipgirl’s captain, uniquely summoned for my relationship with her builder, I was a legend in my own stead. Through my rights, my deeds, and everything I did for Britain, once upon a time!” Mordred shouts, grinning at the camera.

“Will you announce me and my station for the world to hear, my Ship?” Mordred asks, turning towards Wolfen.

“May I present to you, the world, my Captain. Mordred Pendragon, Heir to the Throne of Camelot, and King of England.” Wolfen states, bowing with a grin, one hand holding the Carolina Reaper she was about to bite into, before she takes a bite as she moves off camera.

“That’s right, folks. The only child of King Arthur. ME.” Mordred states, looking into the camera closely, eyes matching both the lens of the camera, and the invisible camera crew of kitsune on top of it, ensuring that no matter what, they get the footage sent out.

“It won’t be easy to fight them off. Because right now, the Abyssals are starving. They have no metal or oil to repair themselves with. No food to refuel themselves easily with. To you, you see infrastructure. To them, they see a banquet of free food for the taking.” Mordred states, eyes flashing as she looks to the camera, ignoring the quiet whispers of a now enraged bureaucrat to shut her off, not noticing Warspite moving to cut off his escape route.

“I will do my best to save you, by bringing peace with the Abyssals for you. To make it a world where they don’t have to look out at our world with envy and hunger, but one where we can learn to live with coexistence.” Mordred states, regally, then smirks. “And if you want to fight me about it, you can duel me. I’ll be nice and not let Wolfen interfere. Much.

Abruptly, the lights shut off overhead, followed by the camera’s lights.

The lights on the Kitsune’s camera have no such issues, however.

“Anyone that wishes to fight me may do so, after things are done with. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a petty spy posing as a bureaucrat, that doesn’t understand that when I say ‘I don’t care about your shit, I’m going to say what I want to since I’m the king now’, I mean EXACTLY THAT.” Mordred’s eyes narrow as she walks off stage towards the bureaucrat in question.

The camera view is following her from behind, even though the camera everyone knows about isn’t turning.

The bureaucrat in question glares at the screen. “Why’s it still broadcasting? We shut off the power to it!”

Then he pauses, turning to look at Mordred in terror. “Hey, you can’t do this to-”

Thunk

MY ARMS! YOU CUT OFF MY ARMS, YOU MONSTER!” Is the next scream from his mouth, followed by her glaring.

“You have no authority and I’ll never trust you to have my back while I rule from the front lines. Consider this your being dealt with while posing as a bureaucrat of this nation, spy.” Mordred states.

This is a CRIME!” The bureaucrat blusters.

“Shall I cut out your legs, next?” Mordred retorts, eyes narrowed.

“You don’t have that right! This is a modern state with rules and regulations to be followed!” The armless spy screams in her face.

“No, this is a monarchy with me as your liege, and you as a known spy.” Mordred retorts.

A long pause, as the Bureaucrat stares up at Mordred Pendragon before him, slowly going pale from blood loss.

“You’re a fucking lying monster. Do you hear me? Lying whore who claims to be the child of our great Legend, you should just die. But I won’t let you have the joy of taking me alive!

Thud

Silence reigns, as the spy falls, having bitten down on a cyanide capsule tooth, his face shifting to look completely different as he falls dead.

“I could have dealt with him for you, my Captain.” Wolfen states, calmly.

One of the studio’s executives stares at the mess, then at the broadcast still going.

“Why are we still live instead of anyone putting commercials in, or this being cut to commercial?” He finally asks, quietly.

“Oh, I had cloaked camera crews set up just in case, and hacked your computer systems to shut down your attempts at stopping my Captain’s announcement!” Wolfen states. “And all those satellites you have up in orbit for the duration of it, for that matter.”

The room freezes, as the executive slowly looks up at her in utter terror.

Oh.” He quietly whispers, the room dead silent as they suddenly realize what this means… then kneel, almost in unison.

“Understand, if you insult my Captain’s parentage and heritage, I won’t be stopping my Captain from murdering the lot of you.” Wolfen says, a quiet smile in her voice. Not promising kindness, but pain, agony and terror as they die. “In fact, I think I’d be helping her out. Understand?

Rapid nodding from the room, as Wolfen smiles, and pops another Carolina Reaper in her mouth to munch on, like a potato chip.

Warspite frowns, looking down at the fake bureaucrat, then bows her head. “I’m not sure I like this spy situation, though our new King of Britain is understandable, if nothing else. Let’s hope that Mordred can back up her claims.”

A long pause, as she blinks, before going wide eyed in surprise as getting a message over the radio. Then Warspite nods, relaying the message to Prinz Eugen, who’s already moving to meet with their Admiral in another room.

Wolfen then focuses on Mordred, focusing on her speech. “Our country's policies from this point forwards for the duration of the emergency? Are the following:

One. We’ll be importing food and supplies to start up the harvest this year, if need be.

Two. We’ll be setting up giant signs for the Abyssals, explaining that they’ve been eating our infrastructure for planting crops, and if they don’t stop, their attacks will result in both our sides starving.

Three. We’ll put up more signs, offering free food to friendly Abyssals that don’t wish to conquer humanity, but simply want food. Those that wish for trade, or to work with us will be offered a kind hand. Those that reject our offering, on the other hand, will be dealt with as examples.

For a long moment, Mordred’s green eyes sweep the room as her Charisma lays weight to her words. Then she swings her sword down, the blood flying off onto the floor near the dead Bureaucrat.

Then she turns back to the camera, thinking. Before a quiet nod. “I’ll be asking for a meeting with both of the Admiral Richardson of the United States, the one who has USS Missouri and the other having Arizona loyal to them, as well as our own British Admiral Williams, and Admiral Kouzuki of Japan, for a meeting discussing matters of national and international importance.”

With that, she takes a bow, before Wolfen takes that as her cue to cut the cameras.

“So.” Warspite looks at Mordred, as they walk off. “Why would a spy pose as him? He’s rich, and rather famous…” She trails off.

“As well as happening to be dead and buried for two months now.” Wolfen interjects. “There was some sort of spell around that one, making people register him as alive and not able to recognize the fact that they were posing as someone long dead.”

Warspite flinches, then goes white. “I heard it over the radio, but the moment I looked at him, I forgot you said that!”

A long pause as the studio crew and Warspite all turn back to look at the spy, face obviously changed in death. Then eyes narrow contemplatively.

Then Mordred looks back. “Well, you’re all reporters, aren’t you?! Start reporting!”

“Yes, your highness!” A unanimous shout, before they go to work.

Mordred sighs, as they walk out, the three of them. Then her eyes narrow, at the sight of the car being quite a few feet of where it should be.

Her eyes turn to look at Wolfen’s, before Wolfen nods. A laser punches a tiny hole through the door, slowly widening as the laser is used repeatedly, leaving a Legion of Coal unit climbing out through the hole. Then she kneels, listening to the “Bzzt” sounds it’s making.

“Our original driver was murdered with a spear.” Wolfen states. “Looks like the car’s a trap.”

Warspite frowns, her eyes narrowing. “Shall we spring the trap, then?”

“No, let’s mess with them, instead.” Mordred smiles. Then fades out of view as she takes her place on Wolfen’s bridge.

Moments later, Wolfen is leading Warspite to the alleyway. “Dismiss your rigging, please. I’ll keep you safe.”

Warspite blinks, but nods, leaning against Wolfen as her legs wobble for a moment. “I wish I could get my cane…”

“I’ll make you a new one when we’re done.” Wolfen promises. “Now hang on, and keep close.”

Warspite nods, then blinks at Wolfen picking her up. Then her eyes grow wide as they float up, out of the alley, as a red haired woman rushes in looking around for them.

“Bye now!” Wolfen calls out to the lady below, right before her thrusters kick in.

Scathach’s wide eyes snap up to the sky, as for one moment, the ruler of Dun Scaith stares at a flying Wolfen. Then her eyes narrow as Wolfen flies off.

A long pause, as Warspite stares at the scenery flying by below her, then she smiles. “It’s a lot nicer than an airplane, I suppose.”

“More scenic, too!” Wolfen replies with a smile.

“So, why so few Admirals?” Warspite asks, curiously.

“The Japanese one, Kouzuki, helped me out a lot, as has Kongou. Yours seems nice enough, and unaffected by the spell around Excalibur that was set up to make politicians trust Shipgirls less… and for all that Missouri has been a Javert for me due to orders from her Admiral, he’s still a part of the United States. That, and I’ve heard good things about his brother, the one who married Arizona.” Wolfen admits.

Warspite frowns, then slowly nods. “Thus why no one would want to work with shipgirls after going there, even if they were fanatics beforehand.”

Wolfen nods, quietly, slowing down for a moment. “Hang on. New satellite’s finally finished. Going to launch it real quick so I’ve got a better orbital view of the planet and Abyssals nearby.”

Warspite blinks, then goes wide eyed at what Wolfen just said, right before she twists to aim with the railgun.

CRACK goes the Railgun, and Wolfen smiles at feeling her new satellite slowly starting to give her data. “Should be done with its set up in about 30 minutes.” She admits.

A wide eyed look from Warspite, before she slowly nods, thinking quietly. “You’re almost fully independent, aren’t you Wolfen?”

“For all that I’m a Prototype Aerial Battleship?” Wolfen muses. “Yeah. Daddy was a Norse God, and though he loves humans and started out as one, he built me out of paranoia. To escape if he took a path that the others wouldn’t agree on.” She admits, quietly.

Warspite frowns as she nods. “Meaning you were relied on for everything, and thus had to build everything yourself, rather than rely on resupply.”

“More than that, I was where my little sister ships were designed and the first one was built. Within me… it almost felt like being a mother...” Wolfen admits.

Warspite looks at Wolfen, almost asking about what happened to them. Then she recognizes the look on Wolfen’s face, and falls silent.

The look of mourning on Wolfen’s face says it all.

Minutes later, they land, and Wolfen walks in, Warspite still in her arms. Then, gently, Wolfen puts Warspite down and looks up at the people in the room, all staring at the dead man on the news.

“As worried as I am about that, Admiral?” Mordred asks, as she walks out while assuming a larger size.

“Indeed.” Admiral Williams admits. “Very much so.”

Mordred nods, sighing. “How long until we can get the communications with all the people set up?”

“Give us 30 seconds.” Is the Admiral’s curt reply.

Mordred nods, leaning back as she closes her eyes.

Wolfen, on the other hand, focuses, as her computers scan what’s going on, and start going to work.

The video call starts, showing multiple groups on the screen, though plagued with static. Wolfen focuses, Mordred smirks and with two lines of static covering the screen for a moment, it goes from static to crystal clear. “There we go. Just had to take temporary control of all those pesky spy satellites that no one was using, for the call.”

Admiral Kouzuki smiles. “Thank you for the aid, Wolfen. Glad to see you’re doing well. I do believe the Emperor wishes for a visit the next time you can meet him, though.”

“Hi Wolfen!” Kongou gushes over her Admiral’s shoulders. “Glad to see you!”

“Glad to see you’re doing well too, Kongou. We’ll have to get more tea together the next time I’m in town.” Wolfen replies with a smile.

Both Admiral Richardsons watch this, one trying to keep a smile off his face, the other looking considerably more irritated.

Missouri and Arizona both hug their respective Admiral, trying to help keep them relaxed by whispering into their ears.

“So. I never got either of your first names, I’m afraid. Always heard ‘Army Admiral Richardson’ this, and ‘Naval Admiral Richardson’ that.” Mordred admits, her face hardening as she looks at the face of what’s been a considerable irritant.

“David Richardson, Naval Admiral, retired.” David Richardson announces, hugging USS Arizona in shipgirl form closer. “And married.”

“Gonna ask that you get yourself reinstated. Things are going to likely get worse before they get better.” Mordred states, quietly.

“Henry Richardson, Army Admiral turned Naval. Not exactly pleased about that, but it keeps me with Missouri.” Henry Richardson admits with a frown.

“Your Missouri did pretty well at being a Javert for a while, while trying to hunt my ship down.” Mordred nods to him. “Though, as you can imagine, I have considerable issues with ‘disarming her’. Especially since I’m now the King of fucking England.

A slow nod from Henry Richardson.

“So. I’m sure you’re wondering exactly why I’ve called this meeting.” Mordred looks over the crowd of people on screen.

Slow nods from all the people in the room, and the people on screen. “I’d like to know that as well, your Highness.” Warspite speaks up.

“This goes no further than the rooms you’re in. Beyond Top Secret classification, I believe would be the modern terms for it.” Mordred states, settling back into her chair.

A slow nod from the Admirals watching, before Wolfen glances over. “Feel free to have Prinz Eugen come in rather than listen from her hiding spot from yesterday, Admiral.”

Moments later, the German shipgirl comes in, blushing slightly as she does so.

“What gave me away?” She says, quietly, studying Wolfen.

“Ground penetrating radar.” Wolfen admits, then looks back to the screen at several wide eyed Admirals.

“So. To start with, this is the current clusterfuck that we’re in.” Mordred states, calmly studying the screen and the Admiral in the room with her.

Then she glances at Wolfen. “Play back the tapes, please.”

Moments later, 3 wide eyed Admirals are watching in silence as they learn from Hoppou and her allies exactly why the Abyssals fight with them.

Silence reigns for a long moment, before Henry Richardson slowly nods, his eyes stern. “So, you were getting important intelligence after all. Our shipgirls induce PTSD in the Abyssals.”

“When I first awoke, I only had a couple of units for my crew, aside from my Captain, Mordred.” Wolfen admits. “Without much of a crew, I wasn’t much of a shipgirl, relying more on the pure firepower my Daddy made for me, rather than the augmentations of a crew enhancing my equipment and weaponry on a metaphysical scale.”

The eyes of Henry Richardson narrow at her, thoughtfully.

“It doesn’t hurt that anyone allied to Wolfen is effectively throwing away their ability to fight for that Trident.” Mordred states. “As Kongou can attest to.”

Kongou nods, quietly, the British and Japanese looking shipgirl’s eyes looking serious.

“We were going to work on trying to figure out how to bring peace to both sides.” Wolfen admits. “Right up until my search for more crew along with Abyssal Princess Hoppou, one of those four you just saw, lead us to finding something far more important.

With those words, the Admirals go still, watching the incident with Aqua intently indeed.

“Railgun nukes?” A clenched fist from several Admirals is the only sign of worry.

Wolfen nods, playing more clips involving Eris. Watching the eyes grow more narrowed.

Mordred nods, watching with her eyes calm. “So, as you can see by this? By Christmas, roughly, the Gods of this world have been planning on wiping the slate clean. No Shipgirls, no Abyssals. And anyone allied with either dead or suffering.”

Admiral Williams slowly nods to Mordred. “You have a plan, then, your Highness?”

“Oh, I do. The first thing we did when realizing there was a far more dangerous source? Was to ask to meet with the third party and give them a warning about it. Something akin to shipgirls, but made of nanomachines and computers. Mental Models, they call themselves.” Mordred nods. “As we talked with that Goddess, Eris about doing. And as a result, we met one of the people sent as a representative, to stop their faction from being used.”

“Mental Model Kongo. Who’s ship very much is like the form of Kongo’s, but in an advanced state far beyond this world’s technology” Wolfen states. “Strong, dangerous, and powerful. Capable of making a foot wide beam of annihilation with a range of Nine Hundred and Fifty Miles, quite similar to my spinal mounted laser cannon in destructive capability, if not surpassing it from sheer raw damage.

A long quiet pause, as four admirals still. “You’re sure you’re not overstating things?”

The screen wordlessly shifts to the fight with Fafnir, so they can watch it.

...Did…” Admiral Kouzuki silently stares, wide eyed. “ DID SHE SERIOUSLY JUST DROP HER SHIP INTO THAT PLACE FROM GODS-KNOW WHERE,Split her SHIP in HALFto look like a giant gaping maw, and FIRE THE BIGGEST GODDAMNED CANNON I’VE EVER SEEN?!” Shakily, he points at the screen.

Kongou stares, blinking. “Wow, dess. She’s really strong, isn’t she?”

Mordred nods. “So, we have that sort of firepower, as a third faction come Christmas time, if we can’t figure out how to keep the Gods from summoning them. That doesn’t mean Kongo herself isn’t friendly, but she’s as concerned as we are about them being able to use her people like that.”

Four Admirals study Mordred, then slowly nod. “I’d offer more support, but…” Henry Richardson frowns. “Shipgirl summons have… slowed as of late. All attempts at summoning Missouri’s sister ships have failed outright. Others have been summoned, but they’re coming back damaged.”

Mordred frowns, looking at Wolfen. Then both go quiet, thoughtfully.

Wolfen then nods, switching the video again to the chat with Zeus.

A long, long pause, as quite a few people in the room, human and shipgirl alike, think over what was said.

“Someone won the war. If Poseidon is dead, then that means someone won, only to find that Trident nowhere in sight.” Admiral Williams murmurs.

“And if shipgirls are getting harder to summon, she’s forcing everyone to bend the knee to her.” Mordred states. “As their new Goddess.

Wolfen sits back, closing her eyes as she thinks. “I was built to hurt divine beings, even if I was mostly built to escape them.” She admits, thoughtfully. “I’ve got the best chance anyone has for fighting her, if she’s a young, new Goddess. One that hasn’t come truly into her own power, figured out her own abilities yet.”

A slow nod from the four Admirals. “We have to assume, then, that she’s gathering those that are possible to be summoned, and forcing them to bend the knee to her.” Admiral Williams states. “Meaning every shipgirl is far more precious than before.”

Quite a few shipgirls go bright red at that statement.

Then Wolfen pauses, her eyes narrowing.

For a moment, the Admirals frown at Wolfen’s actions, then blink at two screens joining them. Then, to the amusement of Mordred and Wolfen, narrow their eyes and look at the screen closely.

“Those are satellite photos… that have Abyssals on them? I thought they were impossible to spot with modern satellites, though?” Admiral Williams frowns. Then blinks at the two pictures suddenly taking up most of the screen for the video call.

“Those are from my satellites in orbit.” Wolfen admits. “I launched a second one on the way here. Not exactly easy to build, but my railgun has the range.”

Silence reigns, as they study a good chunk of the Pacific Ocean and areas around Britain, the British pictures being updated as they watch.

Then as they watch, Wolfen’s eyes narrow, as she studies the picture intently.

“Two shipgirls fighting Abyssals.” She finally states, as the picture zooms in.

“Looks like it’s one of the coastal villages.” Admiral Williams states. “Not sure which one, with all the damage. And I don’t have the maps in the room to check, I’m afraid.”

Wolfen nods, thinking. “It’s deep behind Abyssal lines.”

“Far too far away to give them aid. Even if they have what looks to be children with them.” Admiral Williams states, bowing his head. “We can’t support them, not without hours to get there. By that time, they’ll be dead. With how damaged they look, I can’t see any other outcome.”

A long pause, as Wolfen slowly nods. “Then I’ll go.”

A long pause, as the Admirals jerk their heads to stare at her, three in confusion, and one in surprise.

You’ll go?” Admiral Henry Richardson asks, confused eyes studying her.

“I, Prototype Aerial Battleship Wolfen, will go and save them where you cannot.” Wolfen smiles at them calmly.

Silence reigns, before Henry puts his head in his palms. “We never had a chance of catching you, did we?”

“No. You really didn’t.” Mordred states, grinning. “We’ll catch up to you later about this. But make sure your places are cleared of spies. And shoot the damned spies if you catch any.”

Four Admirals nod, before Mordred fades to sit in her Captain’s chair inside Wolfen. Moments later, the call turns from the crystal clear image it was before, to a static filled mess, barely showing anyone. “And with that, I bid you all a good day while I help others.” Wolfen bows, before the screen fades out for all the Admirals.

Except for a tiny dot on the same screen within Wolfen’s bridge, which expands into the images of Hoppou and Kongo, having been watching the entire time.

“So. They seem to be on board.” Mordred states.

“A bit risky, but you said it felt like the best way to go forward for the things to come.” Kongo states, sipping on tea.

“It sounds like there was a winner, though.” Hoppou whispers. “Will they not like Hoppou?”

“Too early to tell.” Mordred states. “But if they fuck with you, I’ll deal with them. You have my word.”

Wolfen walks down to the main level, Admiral Williams, Warspite and Prinz Eugen watching her back. Then she looks down the street. “This will do.”

Admiral Williams studies things, then nods. “Get the troops to clear the street! We’re going to need it clear for our King’s flagship to deal with things!”

Wolfen watches, studying things as the streets rapidly go clear, then walks into position. Glancing back, she smiles.

Master?” Koyanskaya’s voice echoes in her mind.

Yes, Koyanskaya? What is it?” Wolfen asks, curiously.

It looks like the laser rifle doesn’t actually do much to them. I’ve been getting by with pranks, but it looks like I’ll need something with a bit more… shall we say oomph?” Koyanskaya frowns, trying to get through what she wants and needs.

Perhaps you can go into weapons development? I know daddy had you on some simulators, though I don’t remember quite what those simulators were for.” Wolfen responds, watching the streets rapidly clear.

Those were for Amaterasu to develop a knockoff Noble Phantasm, I believe… hmm. But weapons development? Any tips for increasing power for this?” Koyanskaya asks, curiously.

Mordred rushes to pull up information and data, then pauses at flashes of memories hitting her. Then she sits, smiling widely as she does so. “Dynamics of a Solar Flare doesn’t quite fit me, but…” Mordred trails off, thinking. “Dynamics of a Red Comet, perhaps? No, that doesn’t fit me either, and I feel like I’d be stealing someone else’s schtick, as Erik calls it. Radiant Comet, perhaps?”

Then she hums as she works to test things.

If you can get a bigger ruby for the laser, you’ll be able to swap in that one for more damage.” Wolfen sends, watching more of the trucks move out of the way. Then she nods. “500 feet should be good, I suspect.” She says, moments later.

“What’s that in metric?” Admiral Williams asks, a grin on his face.

“One hundred fifty two point four-” Wolfen pauses as Admiral Williams laughs. “No worries, I know. Just teasing because Americans typically don’t. We’ve planned to clear it out to two hundred meters, to be safe.”

Wolfen nods and smiles. “Thank you!”

You can also add in legendary objects for a quick boost to power, or divine materials to upgrade it long term.” Wolfen mentally sends to Koyanskaya. “By the way, how are the pranks going?

Oh, quite well. They’ve started to loathe me as the office prankster, but there’s still no chance of them finding me out, Master. I managed to disable most of their divine energy sensors that are linked to the faction that wants shipgirls gone, as well!” Koyanskaya feels smug through the telepathic link.

Wolfen smiles, walking out to the cobblestone street, then stretches, watching the street finish clearing. Then, she glances back to Admiral Williams and the two shipgirls with him.

“Good luck!” Warspite calls out.

Wolfen nods. Then she turns forwards. “Prototype Aerial Battleship Wolfen! LAUNCHING!

With those words, her engines fire, sending her forwards to fly.

A long pause, as a whole bunch of British people watch her fly off into the sky. “A bloody aerial battleship? Our king has all the luck!” One whispers.

“We need model kits of her hull, now!” Another whispers.

“Got ideas, there, Mordred?” Kongo’s voice interrupts her grinning work at flying Wolfen, before she glances back to look at the monitor.

“Yeah. Sorry. Just fun to fly her, and I had some ideas just now, from memories I got from the other me who’s with Erik.” Mordred admits.

Kongo nods, a slight smile on her face. “I’ll be interested in seeing what that results in, then.”

“Good luck, Wolfen! We’ll be expecting you to visit soon!” Hoppou smiles. “I want to see what you’re like when you're bigger, Mordred!”

Kongo nods. “The base is going at a steady pace, by the way. Though I’ve had to use nanomaterial to help with certain aspects of the construction. We’ll have it ready in approximately two weeks.”

“We’ll be dealing with politics until then, I suspect.” Mordred nods. “Thanks for all your help, Kongo. Hopefully it’ll be comfortable for you all.”

Hoppou nods with a smile. “We’re quite warm and comfortable here. She’s made it really nice and warm. We’ll be fine until then!”

Author’s Notes:

I was planning on having this up in the new thread, as well as everything else. Except I found that the Mekton Zeta character sheet, long done, was done on my now dead hard drive. Ugh. Gotta redo his new character sheet from scratch. Not fun.

Scathach is up to something, as you may be able to tell.

Okeanos’ influence, as you can see, is starting to be noticed and felt, even if she hasn’t made a grand appearance yet.

Wolfen and Mordred’s own plans for her allies to have food, shelter and a stable base of operations goes quite according to plan.

It all leads up to interesting times.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; February 4th, 2022 at 10:25 PM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries

Godafrid's New Nightmare

Continuing . . .

Los Angeles, California
    October 14, 1994

Jamie stared out the window, down at the clouds.

She’d have liked a view, of course—but after spending hours in her airplane seat, she mostly just wanted to be on the ground. Flying was nice, she’d decided, but it really was for the birds . . . And, given the time of year—and one of the reasons for this trip—that brought her thoughts back to one bird in particular.

Will I see him again this year . . .?

She didn’t always—the year before Andy had arrived, there’d been nothing, or the year after; and Rachel was the one who saw him the year after that . . . But he’d been there last year—so did that mean he wouldn’t show up, this year?

Her parents certainly hoped so. They didn’t really know about everything surrounding the Owl Man’s visits (for instance, they still thought he was her imaginary friend from when she was little), but enough bad things had happened around Halloween that they’d decided to send them on vacation this year, as far from Haddonfield as they could go. Jamie wasn’t actually sure that Los Angeles was any safer than Haddonfield around Halloween, according to what she’d seen on TV, but she appreciated that they were trying . . .

(And after last year, she could use a vacation. Lucky Charms cereal was ruined for her, now, and Saint Patrick’s Day was just as bad as Halloween—no, worse, because owls were a symbol of Halloween, so there was something to like about it.)

It felt a little scary to be travelling without her parents, which seemed silly, given the really terrifying things she’d already been through, but was still an undeniable fact. Still, she tried to keep up a brave face; she was Andy’s big sister, after all, so it was her job to be brave, because he would be even more scared . . . Despite that, though she rubbed her charm bracelet more than once during the flight—and if Andy noticed, he didn’t say anything about it.

It was once they landed, however, that Jamie and Andy received their first surprise.

“Doctor Loomis?”

The old man smiled kindly, leaning on his cane.

“Hello, Jamie, Andy,” he said warmly, his voice a little weaker than she remembered, but as warm as she’d ever heard it. “Did you have a pleasant flight?”

“I thought Rachel was meeting us?” Andy asked, confused and sounding a little disappointed.

His crush hadn’t quite died yet, Jamie thought—or even if it had, he still liked spending time with their pretty and older sister (not that she ought to be talking about crushes that never died, she supposed) . . .

“That was the plan,” the doctor said, “but Rachel’s work placement called at the last minute, so she had to go in. It’s a peril of the medical profession, I’m afraid—emergencies happen, and rarely on a predictable schedule.” He smiled with the face of someone sharing a joke as he added, “One of many reasons I am more than happy to be very much retired.”

Suddenly remembering her manners and her mother’s instructions (which often amounted to the same thing), Jamie curtseyed to the doctor.

“Thank you for letting us stay with you, Doctor Loomis,” she said politely, with Andy following suit a beat behind her.

The doctor scoffed. “It’s no trouble at all, children. I may be retired, but I’ll always have an interest in my favourite patients’ well-being, and your parents’ desire to get you out of Haddonfield around this time of year is perfectly understandable . . . Besides, the climate might agree with my health, but this place is rather lonely for someone like me; I’d have stayed in Haddonfield, if I could’ve. Your sister has been a delight to have around these last few months, and a few more familiar faces—particularly such bright ones as yours—will do this old man a world of good.”

He spoke cheerfully enough, but Jamie had experience with people trying to act happy or “normal” around her—so did Andy, but Jamie had known Doctor Loomis longer. And so, she realised that Doctor Loomis meant what he said: he was lonely, and very old—and Jamie couldn’t remember the doctor, or anybody else, ever talking about him having any family . . .

Something of what she felt must have shown in her eyes, because she could see Doctor Loomis start to ask a question—but she was already moving when he opened his mouth, impulsively hugging him as hard as she dared.

Oof!” the old man grunted, and she eased the pressure a little bit before pulling back. “What brought this on?”

“I’m really glad to see you Doctor Loomis,” she said earnestly. “I missed you, too.”

Something in the old doctor’s blue eyes softened. “You are very much your mother’s daughter, aren’t you Jamie . . .? Thank you—I think I did need that.”

Jamie smiled, even as she felt her face heat up. She thought the warmth came from the feeling in her chest at his mention of her mother.

Shaking himself a little, he straightened. “But enough of this—let’s get you home and settled, eh? Which way to your bags . . .?”

Los Angeles was not a cheap city to live in; not if one wished to live anywhere relatively secure, at least. But Samuel Loomis had never been a man for fripperies, or money-making in the sense that many of his medical colleagues were—there were no sports cars in his garage or hand-crafted golf clubs in his closet. He had worked in the psychiatric field, yes, but for the state; with all the funding such government-run institutions could typically expect.

Still, as a frugal man, he’d had few expenses, and had largely avoided the vices of his colleagues; his obsession had been his career—or more specifically, a single patient—and thus, relatively cheap to maintain. As such, when it came time for him to finally retire, his savings stretched to a significant degree.

(Admittedly, they had been supplemented by several highly-paid interviews regarding his most infamous patient, following his demise—more in line with what high-end plastic surgeons could expect to make—but they were not inconsiderable on their own.)

As such, the house they were delivered to was hardly a Beverly Hills mansion, but a far cry from an apartment in the inner city, either. In truth, the structure wouldn’t look too out-of-place were it to be plucked up and dropped onto a street in Haddonfield, which Loomis regarded as probably a good thing; the children would likely appreciate the familiarity. Certainly, a great deal else of Los Angeles would be enough of a culture shock . . . And what little their parents had shared with him implied that they’d had more than enough shocks.

In truth, Loomis suspected they’d almost certainly had a great deal more frequent and intense shocks more than their parents knew about—or would believe, if they did. Their reactions to such traumas were quite different, but that spoke as much to their circumstances as their personalities. Jamie had suffered terribly at the same age as Andy, with the loss of her parents, but she’d been slightly older when Michael Myers had tried to kill her, and ultimately been protected from coming to any serious harm beyond sheer fright. Andy, on the other hand, had had no such protection during the “Chucky murders,” and lost his mother as a result of their aftermath . . .

Jamie remained open, empathetic to others’ feelings—Andy, while still kind and loving as a result of being loved, maintained a level of cautious wariness, knowing that things could be ripped away from him without warning. He relied on his sister, Loomis could see; Jamie’s unconditional caring was a source of comfort and strength for him, and she made efforts to reassure him when his fears got the better of him. It was a dynamic he’d seen when he was treating Andy, and he was pleased to see the results had led to his becoming more open than he’d been a couple of years ago. The Carruthers’ care—and Jamie’s, in particular—had been good for him.

Rachel, he reflected, had set a remarkable example of what it meant to be a big sister—it would make her an equally remarkable practitioner of medicine, whichever field she finally settled into—but Jamie was determined to live up to it. And as she was her mother’s daughter, he had no doubt that she could.

Still, to Loomis’ mind, Jamie was the better-adjusted of the two children—as such, he was somewhat surprised to see her up and about shortly after settling in for a nap to deal with jet lag.

“Did you need something, Jamie?” he asked.

She shook her head, but her face hadn’t changed so much in six years that he was unable to read her expressions. That being the case, he asked gently, “Was it a nightmare, Jamie?”

She hesitated, so he continued, “Jamie, I’m positive there’s more to what caused your parents to send you away for Halloween than they know about. You’ve been touching your bracelet frequently, so I’m quite certain I know some of what the ‘more’ entails . . . And while I am retired and no longer officially your doctor, I am still your friend, and you are safe here—I’ll listen, if you want to talk about it.”

“. . . There was a leprechaun,” she said at last, in a small voice—which was, admittedly, not something Loomis had expected to hear about, but at the same time, didn’t seem unbelievable, under the circumstances. “And he came again to stop it, and it—it hurt him, Doctor Loomis.”

Ah—the root of her distress. Not that she’d been attacked again, but that her protector, who had always seemed unbeatable, had proven to be fallible, after all.

“It hurt him really bad,” she whispered. “I didn’t even think he could be hurt . . .”

Understandable, Loomis supposed. After all, she hadn’t seen him fight Michael Myers—match physical evil blow-for-blow, but without a mask to hide the bruises—she’d been sent away before the fight actually began. And with Charles Lee Ray, it hadn’t actually been much of a contest; not once he’d been drawn into an actual confrontation.

(The scream of that chain as it sliced through the air—and the scream of that soul as it was sliced into—had haunted no small number of Loomis’ nightmares, over the years . . .)

Even the few details that Rachel had let slip of her own encounter implied that it, too, had been brief—indeed, the facts led Loomis to suspect that “the Owl Man,” as Jamie called him, actually specialised in spiritual conflicts more than physical ones—adding to the aura of invincibility. As such, that illusion’s shattering, when it had been a cornerstone of Jamie’s beliefs for nearly half her life . . .

Nightmares, Loomis mused, would be the least of it.

“. . . But he won, I presume?” the doctor asked gently.

Jamie nodded. “Uh-huh—but he was all bloody, and had trouble walking . . . And he disappeared again, and I don’t know if he’s OK . . .

“If he was well enough to walk away, Jamie, then I imagine he’ll be fine,” Loomis said confidently. “He seemed to have recovered well enough from the beating your uncle gave him to handle Andy’s ‘little problem’ easily enough.”

Jamie’s eyes widened as she stared at him. “What?!

The shrieking of the kettle interrupted them, and Loomis broke away to tend to it, pouring himself a cup of tea—and then pausing to pour a mug of milk, with a bit of boiling water to heat it, and several dollops of chocolate syrup, before coming back. He set the mug of improvised hot chocolate before Jamie, who murmured her thanks unconsciously, allowing Loomis time to gather his thoughts.

“I have never been able to decide precisely who or what the Owl Man is, Jamie,” the doctor mused, “but I have always been aware that he’s a creature of flesh and blood. More than merely mortal, obviously—Michael Myers would certainly have killed anything less—but he took a great deal of punishment in his efforts to end that evil. At the same time,” he added, “I was quite sure that he could’ve killed us both, were he so inclined, when the sheriff threatened him at gunpoint—regardless of his injuries.

“I have never ceased to be grateful,” Loomis concluded, “that he chose to show mercy on that night, and simply ignore the man.”

“But” Jamie protested, “he’s been getting hurt this entire time—he could die doing this? But then . . . Why? Why do it at all? And why me?

Loomis shrugged. “I can only make guesses, Jamie. I could call him an angel, save that he is flesh and blood, and no religion I know of proclaims owls as messengers of God. Based on what little I’ve seen and heard of him I’ve often wondered if he’s not some supernatural embodiment of Newton’s Third Law—an equal and opposite reaction to the evils that you seem to encounter. But how and why such a thing might come to be, or operate as he does, I can’t explain.”

“He has friends,” Jamie said suddenly, thoughtfully. “The cat girl and—someone else. I remember thinking of him as her butler . . .? I only ever saw him in a dream, and it was of a tea party, so I’m not sure how real he is . . .”

The part of Loomis that had spent decades as a psychiatrist urged him to explore those dreams, even as practicality argued that at this late date, dream analysis was an uncertain tack to take. The part that had been her trusted friend, he hoped, since she was a small child, knew that now was not the time.

“He has friends?” Loomis murmured. “That’s interesting.

Jamie blinked. “Why?”

“Because it implies a support structure, some level of organisation in what he does,” the doctor replied. “He’s not simply an individual, seeking to do what’s right—he’s representative of an association, perhaps a higher power . . .”

Loomis chuckled. “At my age, Jamie, it’s somewhat reassuring to think that, for all the evils you and I have witnessed, there is something out there that opposes them. It speaks to a level of design in the universe, and the idea that perhaps there is a God, after all . . .” He shook his head. “But again, that’s just an old man’s ramblings—what should matter to you, I think, is this: if there are others who could do as the Owl Man does, then he acts as he does because he wants to. Whatever his reasons, Jamie, he values your safety and your happiness. That much, we can be very sure of.”

Her face reddened, and she ducked her head shyly; a motion he’d seen her do several times, to say nothing of countless other young people, over the years. It looked no less adorable on her now than it had when she was eight, but Loomis was aware that, at her age, she would likely be insulted by his saying so. Instead, he simply smiled at her—the better to give her time to think through things and get a grip on her emotions.

As such, Loomis said nothing while she thought, absently sipping at her hot chocolate. Her dark eyes were thoughtful in an expression that reminded him very much of her mother. He earnestly believed that Laurie would be quite proud of Jamie, if she could see her now—and equally horrified by the amount of danger that Jamie continually found herself in.

As to what she might make of the Owl Man . . . The Laurie Strode of his memory would, undoubtedly, be profoundly grateful for his efforts to keep her daughter alive and happy—and equally quick to brandish a shotgun and a shovel, were he to take advantage of Jamie’s obvious (to Loomis, at least, and undoubtedly to her) affections. Nor would Loomis be so quick to dismiss her threat; after all, she had managed to blind Michael Myers with nothing more than a coat hanger and a syringe—whereas he had needed to blow up an operating room (and most of a corridor) to inflict similarly lasting damage.

Jamie finished her hot chocolate without saying a word, still obviously pensive, and so he interjected, “Feeling better?”

“. . . I think so, Doctor Loomis,” she offered, meeting his gaze and offering a tentative smile. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, my dear,” he said, smiling back. “You can leave the washing up to me—go back to bed and try to get some sleep, now.”

She glanced at the mug briefly, as if unwilling to leave the mess.

“I appreciate your good manners very much, Jamie,” Loomis said earnestly, “but trust me: you need to reset your body clock after such a long trip, or you’ll be out of sorts for ages.” He made a shooing gesture. “Go on, back to bed with you. It’s one mug—I can manage.”

“All right,” she said quietly. “Good night, Doctor Loomis.”

“Good night, Jamie,” he said. “Pleasant dreams.”

Only after she’d gone did the irony strike him—it was Rachel working as a nurse on the set of that movie about the nightmare killer, but it was her sister who had the bad dreams . . .

Beyond the boundaries of time and space (but roughly four days later)

. . . Please tell me that’s it,” Frid groaned.

Ilya blinked, puzzled. “You handled that one pretty easily—why do you sound even more aggravated than the last time . . .?”

The Exalt pointed out, “I handled it because my combat-oriented Charms specialise in fighting that kind of enemy”—said Charms being the only way he could think of to potentially fight a Servant, if he had to—“and because it never fought anything like me before. But I am running on fumes, Ilya. I need at least a few hours to recharge my Essence . . .

“And even aside from all that,” he added softly. “Jamie and her family shouldn’t have to live in fear of potential supernatural evils stalking them for the rest of their lives. So please, tell me that was the last—or that you’ve figured out where they’re coming from, and we can put an end to it.”

“About that,” Ilya said grimly. “I have good news, and I have bad news—which do you want first . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    I was planning on having this up in the new thread, as well as everything else. Except I found that the Mekton Zeta character sheet, long done, was done on my now dead hard drive. Ugh. Gotta redo his new character sheet from scratch. Not fun.
    Ah, so you'll have a separate thread up for this in future. It'll be interesting to see if Wolfen's troubles will be a side or main story, relative to whatever antics Erik will be getting up to. The structure of interleaving them would be interesting, since you have this much Wolfen already written.
    Chapter is fairly busy, though not a ton is happening in terms of new information. Some necessary house-keeping for Mordred taking over Britain, plus Scathach sneaking around and a status report from Koyanskaya. Some good funny moments, though. "What gave me away? Ground penetrating radar" makes me giggle.

Godafrid's New Nightmare
    I definitely missed whatever Godafrid just encountered there, unless we're still recalling the leprechaun (which would be valid). A bit more philosophical reflecting in this snippet. The contrast between Jamie and Loomis's respective sorts of innocence is actually quite interesting to see. Jamie growing up is accelerated by the Works time-skipping through these encounters, but it still has some depth to it. It's fun watching them deduce the existence of the Works.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ah, so you'll have a separate thread up for this in future. It'll be interesting to see if Wolfen's troubles will be a side or main story, relative to whatever antics Erik will be getting up to. The structure of interleaving them would be interesting, since you have this much Wolfen already written.
    Chapter is fairly busy, though not a ton is happening in terms of new information. Some necessary house-keeping for Mordred taking over Britain, plus Scathach sneaking around and a status report from Koyanskaya. Some good funny moments, though. "What gave me away? Ground penetrating radar" makes me giggle.

I definitely missed whatever Godafrid just encountered there, unless we're still recalling the leprechaun (which would be valid). A bit more philosophical reflecting in this snippet. The contrast between Jamie and Loomis's respective sorts of innocence is actually quite interesting to see. Jamie growing up is accelerated by the Works time-skipping through these encounters, but it still has some depth to it. It's fun watching them deduce the existence of the Works.
    *snickers* Glad you enjoyed the humor. Yeah, I'm planning on it being one big thread, rather than two different ones right now. Mostly because of Kieran repeatedly pointing out to me that if I don't have more Fate elements in it, it's likely going to get tossed into a different sub forum by moderators. At the same time, world building enough that I can safely set it up so Fate elements can be included without wrecking the setting worse is... shall we say slow going? The setting's a real wreck, as it is.

...Not to mention exactly how bad things are, when the anime shows off shipgirls having only one single place where they can enjoy ice cream... Ugh. Not a good sign, that. Watched a bit, to compare things. Really magical girl-esque for the rigging, instead of them being able to summon it at will. So I'm stuck having to write out how logistics is working out for multiple countries, when they're all getting hit on the oceans, repeatedly. While trying to keep it fun to write, rather than "Oh God, why have I done this to myself?!" like it's gotten to be at times. Fucking Admiralty Code and her bullshit. Ugh.

First Fate/Anarchy, then this. Why do I keep writing things that are elaborate, again? Right, I enjoy reviewers reviewing, and Mental Model Kongo(u) in the Arpeggio of Blue Steel anime? Got screwed over just as hard as Mordred got screwed over in Fate/Apocrypha... and no one, not her, deserves what happened to her in that anime. Period.

To be fair, Kieran's a fan of one Kancolle/Kantai Collection settings, and I've even referenced it in past chapters. But I haven't put out the 4 different forum threads of writing for Wolfen like that author has for his stuff on space battles and sufficient velocity, and I'm not trying to poach on other Kancolle fics. Pay homage to, once in a while, perhaps. But not poach ideas from.

So instead of Abyssals just being "evil shipgirls that hate humanity, tainted and corrupted by the negative emotions and regrets" you're getting actual plot development for why they'd pull the shit they do.

Having to form the setting with a mobile game, manga, anime and movie that don't really mesh together well for anything close to "backgrounds" for the shipgirls is... hard. Very, very hard.

As for what Godafrid encountered, it's hinted at in the title, but I'm sure he's writing a reply as well to this.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; February 6th, 2022 at 11:06 PM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries
    I definitely missed whatever Godafrid just encountered there, unless we're still recalling the leprechaun (which would be valid).
    Nope - I found a way to do an Elm Street crossover, in a "low-mana environment" way, that would allow it to mesh organically with everything else I've included . . .

(Sorry for the implied smugness, but I am pretty proud of this one.)

A bit more philosophical reflecting in this snippet.
    You can see why working on it brought Ali's breakdown to mind, eh?

The contrast between Jamie and Loomis's respective sorts of innocence is actually quite interesting to see.
    Loomis has less direct experience with Frid and the supernatural (I'm operating on the idea that he will have seen Chucky, obviously), but more overall; and, being retired, has the time to ponder things . . . Honestly, I just didn't want to let the character fade out - with all due respect to Jamie Lee Curtis (which she richly deserves), Donald Pleasance was the mainstay of the series (even now, she's only just equalled his number of appearances - or will only equal them, if we include the "flashback" scenes of Halloween Kills, by the time of Halloween Ends), and I quite enjoy watching him work.

The good doctor certainly deserves a better end than he got . . . And the idea of him playing "kindly grandfather" to the children seemed like a much nicer one.

Jamie growing up is accelerated by the Works time-skipping through these encounters, but it still has some depth to it.
    Thank you. I'm trying - while also trying to leave myself enough room to work with if I do decide to go "full story" with this one . . . Incidentally, she'd more or less look like this by now (minus the accent, of course), if you need a reference point.

It's fun watching them deduce the existence of the Works.
    Frid: See? I advised caution and subtlety for EXACTLY this reason . . .!

Everyone Else: Wasn't this all YOUR IDEA . . .?
    Last edited by Kieran; February 6th, 2022 at 11:30 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Nope - I found a way to do an Elm Street crossover, in a "low-mana environment" way, that would allow it to mesh organically with everything else I've included . . .

(Sorry for the implied smugness, but I am pretty proud of this one.)
    Okay, this was a bit too subtle for me. I didn't connect "Jamie had a nightmare" with the Nightmare on Elm Street crossover concept, because it seemed like Jamie has a lot of good reasons to have nightmares, and it wasn't clear that Godafrid was intervening in this particular one.

I read this as Jamie having a nightmare, since she witnessed the leprechaun fight, and she's retelling what she saw as an explanation for why she's having the nightmare, rather than it being something she's exclusively seen in the nightmare. Godafrid's exhaustion then looks like a somewhat out-of-place interlude where he fought some unspecified off-screen threat, since he was doing that before. The lack of detail about exactly what he fought is weird enough that I commented about it, but not enough that I realized that it was a nightmare-causing creature without the hint.

The presumably intended interpretation is that Jamie never saw the physical fight with the leprechaun, and Godafrid handled that out of sight. Instead, Jamie had her dream invaded by some nightmare-causing creature, which was interpreted as (or was) a leprechaun, and Godafrid fought that off?
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; February 7th, 2022 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Okay, this was a bit too subtle for me. I didn't connect "Jamie had a nightmare" with the Nightmare on Elm Street crossover concept, because it seemed like Jamie has a lot of good reasons to have nightmares, and it wasn't clear that Godafrid was intervening in this particular one. I read this as Jamie having a nightmare, since she witnessed the leprechaun fight, and she's retelling what she saw as an explanation for why she's having the nightmare,
    And you are entirely correct - at that point, the demon masquerading as Freddy Krueger hasn't even begun to enter their orbit . . .

Godafrid's exhaustion then looks like a somewhat out-of-place interlude where he fought some unspecified off-screen threat, since he was doing that before.
    As I said, I am trying to hold enough back that if and when I do write this all out, I can have fun doing it.

The lack of detail about exactly what he fought is weird enough that I commented about it, but not enough that I realized that it was a nightmare-causing creature without the hint.
    My apologies for not dropping enough of them, then - but I did mention an Elm Street crossover, last time.

The presumably intended interpretation is that Jamie never saw the physical fight with the leprechaun, and Godafrid handled that out of sight. Instead, Jamie had her dream invaded by some nightmare-causing creature, which was interpreted as (or was) a leprechaun, and Godafrid fought that off?
    Not at all - she got to the fight with Iubdan up close, and it was a lot more even than "Frid vs. the possessed doll." This was just a genuine nightmare; like I said, she hasn't gotten to the terrifying stuff yet.

. . . Truthfully, since both she and Rachel are "final girls" (albeit of a different franchise), much as Heather Langenkamp/Nancy Thompson is, I wonder if the demon might be able to bypass the latter by going after one of them . . .? And it would be much easier, in a way, since "old" final girls always die in the franchise's next installment . . . Well, almost - Sidney Prescott is very much an outlier in that regard.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette