Page 357 of 371 FirstFirst ... 257307347352355356357358359362367 ... LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,140 of 7412

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Blog Entries
    So, Kieran, I have finally gained an appropriate appreciation for MobuSeka... by reading the Light Novels! Granted, I'm only within the first two volumes worth of story material read, but I want to know how much Marie's going to screw up for everyone by insisting that she's the Saint.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    So, Kieran, I have finally gained an appropriate appreciation for MobuSeka... by reading the Light Novels!
    Me, too.

Granted, I'm only within the first two volumes worth of story material read, but I want to know how much Marie's going to screw up for everyone by insisting that she's the Saint.
    Somewhat, let's say . . . Though apparently, according to a "what-if" sidestory - that supposedly won't be published over here - that's not entirely a bad thing . . .

Sorry for the lack of anything yesterday - writer's block has been annoying. And the annual urge to do that Robotech idea isn't helping, since I've sort of got a way to tie it into Fate - well, Fate/EXTRA, at least.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay, now I'm up to about Chapter 1 of Volume 3 of the series, to be fair. I hope that I can enjoy it a lot better than most anything else.

In other news... well. I'm currently on a much-needed vacation for now. I intend to use this vacation to get to writing something for the Grail Works as soon as I can.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries

An EXTRA Generation (Robotech/Fate EXTRA: Last Encore)

Sorry for the delay in replying - I wanted to get something done to post before I did . . .

Okay, now I'm up to about Chapter 1 of Volume 3 of the series, to be fair. I hope that I can enjoy it a lot better than most anything else.

In other news... well. I'm currently on a much-needed vacation for now. I intend to use this vacation to get to writing something for the Grail Works as soon as I can.

Sounds good - I wish you luck in both endeavours.

And without further ado . . .

“In retrospect, it’s little surprise that there are few official records of Rin Tohsaka’s early life. Even discounting the levels of worldwide destruction which occurred during the period in question, which eliminated a great deal of existing records as a consequence, it must be remembered that she was, by 2030, a wanted terrorist. It was in her own interests to leave no paper trails behind.

As such, little can be definitely said about her origins, or her motivations, save for the old saw that one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter—and arguments persist as to this day as to which category she truly belonged to, in the beginning.

Regarding her status at the end, however, there are no arguments at all.”

—James Macek, Global Campaigns of the Third Robotech War

Three miles from the Tigris River, Earth
    September 1, 2042

Sometimes, Rin wondered if she was still back in the Moon Cell; this scenario of Earth being conquered by a third alien invasion while she was in suspension certainly seemed like something it might concoct—especially after those rings appeared. . .

Unfortunately, unlike some of the Masters in the Moon Cell’s Holy Grail War, she wasn’t dumb enough to confuse reality with a creation of SE.RA.PH. No, this was Earth; Rin had no doubt about it. And while she’d been projecting herself into the Moon, they’d apparently won the war against the “Robotech Masters,” as they’d been known, only to fall to the “Invid” almost immediately afterwards—and she’d lost over a decade of intervening time.

And I’d thought my biggest worry was being traced and killed while my body was in suspension to take me out of the War . . .

On the one hand, Rin was pleased to find that her preparations to keep herself alive while she was communing with the alien supercomputer buried beneath the Moon had held up. On the other hand, she hated having to play catch-up—the only bright side to all this was that the Harways had fallen with the Army of the Southern Cross they’d supported, so in a sense, she’d accomplished her goal.

For all the good that does anyone, she thought bitterly.

The Invid took slaves, to help them cultivate the “Flower of Life” that had proliferated on the Earth, but beyond that, they didn’t seem to care much at all about humans. The Invid would have eliminated the Harways if they thought that the family were a threat—and given that they’d conquered the planet inside a week, it wouldn’t even have been an effort for them.

In the end, she hadn’t needed to do anything.

And even if she’d won the Grail herself, it wouldn’t have made any difference, either; the Invid used mecha, like the Zentraedi and their Masters, but they seemed to use an entirely organic technology base. She might have been able to turn the Moon Cell’s power against the Masters and end the war if she’d won, but with the Invid, there was nothing there for her computer skills to affect. The same would’ve held true for the Moon Cell, making victory in the Holy Grail War doubly useless.

Not that she’d managed to achieve it anyw—

Sudden flashes in the night sky interrupted her musing. They were irregular, meaning they weren’t likely to be engine flares from an oncoming Invid patrol, or even something as mundane as a shooting star or meteor shower. No, the more Rin looked, the more it struck her as weapons fire; but at that distance, it would have to be coming from Veritech fighters, at high altitude—and none of the local resistance cells had any, so far as she was aware . . .

Rin went for her radio.

“Red Devil to base”—and as Rin said it she vowed, once again, to find whoever gave her that callsign, and express her thanks for it—"I’m seeing signs of what look like a high-altitude battle in Sector 18; can you confirm?”

“Wait one, Red,” came the response. “ . . . Yeah—spotters confirm, but there’s no intel about an anti-Invid op in progress, and nothing our sensors can detect.”

Not surprising, Rin thought, considering that their “sensors” consisted of a cobbled-together vibration detection system meant to track things like high-powered engine noises and the kind of heavy tread that multi-tonne mecha had when walking. It was effective for noting approaching patrols, even if it gave off false positives when the ambient noise level was high enough—given the tech base of the world at large, that it worked at all was a miracle—but it would never cover this kind of distance.

“Well, something’s letting off a whole lot of firepower, by the looks of it,” she replied.

Not that it seemed to be doing much good. Even as Rin watched, several large streaks began falling out of the sky—not fighters, at that size. Carriers, then? But the contrails had the wrong shape for the clam-like Invid Troop Carriers, though—they were too narrow . . .

Even as she watched, something smaller split off from one of them, falling away from the larger form; and, she realised, angling in her direction.

Oh, sh—!

What followed was nearly a single sound—the impact of the larger object being loud enough to almost swallow the smaller, for all that it was even farther away. The dust kicked up certainly obscured both, with the shockwave of the closer knocking her off her Hovertank; and causing Rin to, once again, vow to curse whoever had been dumb enough to design the things with open cockpits . . .

(Who cared if magecraft was dead? She would find a way, damn it!)

When the dust settled, and Rin had assured herself that she hadn’t broken anything, she climbed back in and went for her radio again.

“Red Devil to base—I’ve had two crashes here, one closer to your end of my search grid. I’m going to investigate the one that’s closer to me.”

“Confirmed, Red. And once again, you prove your devilish nature with your mind-reading tricks—the orders were just issued for you to do exactly that.”

Biting back the response that no mind-reading was necessary for something so stupidly basic—or at least, it shouldn’t be for anyone with even half a brain—Rin acknowledged, and shifted the Hovertank into Guardian mode, transforming it from a low-slung craft into what amount to a bipedal, dual-barrelled gun turret. The mode had the disadvantage of being a lot slower—about a tenth of the tank mode’s speed—but she didn’t have far to go, and it was a lot better-armed in this configuration.

Whatever she was about to encounter at the crash site—Invid, Human, some remnant of the Robotech Masters or the Zentraedi, or even something entirely new—the survivor of the Moon Cell Holy Grail War intended to be fully prepared for it.

Owwww, Frid groaned in the privacy of his own head (mostly because it hurt too much to form actual words). What hit me . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Mospeada at it's finest, I see...

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yup. Glad to see you back on the forum, man. Been enjoying MobuSeka?
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries
    Which I've actually never seen (though I'd like to, to compare it) - but yeah. It was going to be the Masters Saga, except that according to the EXTRA timeline, the Holy Grail War would've taken place midway through the Second Robotech War; a bit awkward to manage . . .

In all seriousness, for all that I snark at him about it, RB isn't the only fan of mecha in our friend group; and the urge to do a "Cosmo-Knight in Robotech" (or a similar series, like Voltron or Battle of the Planets, to say nothing of Power Rangers) story hits me at least once a year. I thought I'd try it out, for once . . . And the fact that RIFTS has character classes that can simulate code-casting, where it wouldn't map traditional magecraft well, is almost a bonus . . .

Really, though, if it weren't for the fact that Shirou or Saber would make better cosmo-knights, Frid probably would've been one from the word "go" - a space paladin who adheres to a strict code and whose weakness is magic? Sounds perfect, doesn't it?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    Yup. Glad to see you back on the forum, man. Been enjoying MobuSeka?
    Yep, I've been enjoying MobuSeka a lot, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Which I've actually never seen (though I'd like to, to compare it) - but yeah. It was going to be the Masters Saga, except that according to the EXTRA timeline, the Holy Grail War would've taken place midway through the Second Robotech War; a bit awkward to manage . . .

In all seriousness, for all that I snark at him about it, RB isn't the only fan of mecha in our friend group; and the urge to do a "Cosmo-Knight in Robotech" (or a similar series, like Voltron or Battle of the Planets, to say nothing of Power Rangers) story hits me at least once a year. I thought I'd try it out, for once . . . And the fact that RIFTS has character classes that can simulate code-casting, where it wouldn't map traditional magecraft well, is almost a bonus . . .

Really, though, if it weren't for the fact that Shirou or Saber would make better cosmo-knights, Frid probably would've been one from the word "go" - a space paladin who adheres to a strict code and whose weakness is magic? Sounds perfect, doesn't it?
    :O Wow... that's got to sound especially good.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I haven't really experienced Robotech, though that is certainly some history it has. Original dub plotline over animation for three unrelated mech shows? Hm.

Not sure what to expect from the crossover here, but it seems interesting. The Moon Cell feels fitting in the setting, oddly. Also, in the great tradition of parody continuations of Robotech, I guess you could literally bring in the Umbral Star or Sefar as a follow-up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I haven't really experienced Robotech, though that is certainly some history it has. Original dub plotline over animation for three unrelated mech shows? Hm.
    Yes. Opinions on it are polarised, for reasons understandable and not - and the legal issues surrounding it are why Macross as a franchise has never really appeared here (legally) until recently . . . But I admire the technical work done to make the series work as a whole, and it's one of the major "introduction points" to anime in the West (even though I'm more of the "Sailor Moon Generation" so far as that goes). I've also had the RPGs for decades; in fact, it was one of my first attempts at running one, back in the day.

Not sure what to expect from the crossover here, but it seems interesting. The Moon Cell feels fitting in the setting, oddly.
    I thought so - though I needed to work a little bit to get around the presence of Moon Base ALuCE (Advanced Lunar Chemical Engineering).

Also, in the great tradition of parody continuations of Robotech, I guess you could literally bring in the Umbral Star or Sefar as a follow-up.
    Huh - I honestly hadn't thought of that . . . But I could, couldn't I?

. . . In any case, with luck, I'll have another piece up some time tonight.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran, I hope you get the new something written and uploaded here, man.

Blog Entries
    Kieran, I hope you get the new something written and uploaded here, man.

Beyond time and space
    One hour earlier

In another dimension entirely, far removed from, yet in many ways not dissimilar to, the Robotech branch of reality, lay an area of space collectively referred to as “The Three Galaxies.” While this region of space did not contain Earth, humans were still an integral part of its population, as in the Robotech reality; and its overall “theme,” to an outside observer, was “space opera” as well. And there was one further element that paralleled the two. Where Robotech had the mysterious device known as the Protoculture Matrix, source of the Protoculture which powered its mecha, and occasionally provided psychic phenomena and powers, the Three Galaxies had the Cosmic Forge.

According to the lore of the Three Galaxies, the Cosmic Forge was a sentient artefact created by the First, an ancient precursor race, and was capable of creating universes; indeed, it was supposedly the source of the Three Galaxies, at least. The Forge had been, for a time, misused by the First (who themselves had been betrayed by a rogue member referred to as “the One”) and had hidden itself away following their destruction. Many races within the Galaxies sought out its location, yet none had succeeded, though they all knew the Cosmic Forge did exist, because while hidden, it still attempted to interact with the universe around it.

And its primary means of doing so was the creation of the cosmo-knights.

The cosmo-knights were an order of beings selected and transformed by the Forge into spacefaring agents of justice that anyone familiar with the legends of Camelot’s knights-errant would understand. Bound by a code of honour and capable of matching starships in battle, the cosmo-knights were a deeply respected force within the Three Galaxies, battling alien foes such as the titanic Dominators, imperialistic Kreeghor, and other threats to galactic liberty and life.

As such, when the Cosmic Forge found one akin to its creators hurtling through the dimensions, it was curious; when a closer examination revealed his history, it was intrigued. And when an even deeper probe revealed the depth and breadth of the knowledge of worlds in peril—potentially or actually—it was determined.

The mortal (for mortal he was, in spite of his origins) was less, perhaps, than others it had chosen in the past—but its purpose was to forge, to temper and create something greater from the materials it worked. This one was more difficult to mould, due to its nature, but willing to yield, and desiring to be better, in more than a merely physical sense. The Forge had worked with worse, and crafted exemplary knights—it could do so again.

The greater issue, it found, was in where to send its newly exalted knight. Intended as he was to seek problems beyond the scope of the Three Galaxies—beyond even the Megaverse that they resided in—there were any number of dimensions in which he could be placed, but few that the Forge could actually reach on its own. At least, not without revealing more of its capabilities, and its location, than it wished to. Such a drastic paradigm shift would not go unnoticed, after all . . .

In this, however, its new knight held the answers himself. A method was found: the interdimensional rifts that connected the Three Galaxies to the Megaverse at large. A target was found: a world outside the scope of both the Three Galaxies and the dimension known as “Rifts Earth,” but still connected to both. And within a timeframe that connected, albeit tangentially, to those with whom the knight had previously interacted—that was important, so that he could be found by them. After all, he would be far more effective with their aid, and vice versa.

With the destination set, the Forge sent its newest knight into the wider reaches of reality.

It would be interesting to see what happened next . . .

Near Earth orbit
    Fifteen minutes ago

Blazing with newly-acquired power and purpose (to say nothing of confidence), Cosmo-knight Frid exploded into reality—

And reality immediately exploded back.

When his head cleared, the armoured knight beheld a fleet of ships, of a somewhat familiar design, heading for a much more familiar planet—Earth. And from the surface arose clam-shaped vessels, accompanied by figures that looked like bipedal, one-eyed crabs.

Those are Invid—or “Inbit,” if we’re using the Japanese, I suppose. That means this is either the world of Robotech: The New Generation, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, or Genesis Climber MOSPAEDA. With my luck, it’s the last one, but at least it’s easy to figure out what to do . . .

(Hey, the Cosmic Forge had reshaped his existence, not his personality.)

Summoning up long-ago-learned knowledge as well as newly-acquired skills, Frid flew forward towards one of the clam-shaped Troop Carriers, concentrating. In addition to flight, a cosmo-knight had the ability to fire blasts of cosmic energy. These were, by themselves, generally on the order of “disintegrate that bank vault door” in terms of power, and they’d increase in strength as he increased in experience, much like his flight speed—but a cosmo-knight could do much more with them outside an atmosphere . . .

Drawing on the inner reserve of cosmic energy granted to all cosmo-knights, Frid charged his blast, aiming carefully. His armour glowed in response, before unleashing it as a torrent of blue-white fury that roared through the otherwise silent vacuum—and it was really, really hard to resist the urge to yell “TEKNO POWER BLAST!” alongside it, but he managed.

(And if he didn’t, well, vacuum of space—who was going to hear him?)

“Captain, I’m detecting a massive energy read—!”

The technical officer’s announcement was pre-empted by a blast crossing their observation deck that wouldn’t have looked out of place coming from a Reflex cannon, save for the scale; it was much too small. Nevertheless, the energy bolt proved the validity of the comparison when it scythed through the underside of the nearest Invid troop carrier, destroying several of the bulbous protrusions it used as part of its thruster system. A flurry of smaller bolts, almost missed through the pyrotechnical display of the undercarriage exploding, eliminated the upper units, as well—

And as the last one was destroyed, the carrier exploded.

The captain was inwardly astonished—while that weakness of the Invid Troop Carrier’s anti-gravity system was known to the Robotech Expeditionary Force, it was rare that they were able to take advantage of it before the carriers launched the mecha they held. As it stood, a possible four hundred and fifty Invid soldiers had been eliminated before they could fire so much as a shot . . .

However, that carrier was one of dozens rising from Earth’s surface, so they were far from out of the woods yet.

“Order our fighters to begin operations,” he ordered. “We’ve gotten in an impressive first strike, but that’s all—and track down the source of that blast!”

“On it, sir,” Lieutenant Marlene Rush replied, her long black hair swirling as she turned to acknowledge the order, and then back to her instruments. “All fighter squadrons, you are to begin operations—I repeat, all fighter squadrons are clear to engage.”

Muting her microphone for a beat, she whispered, “Good luck, Scott.

Forcibly drawing her mind away from her newly official fiancé, the gamine young woman turned to fulfill the captain’s second order, triangulating the source of the energy, and reading similar—albeit much less intense—bursts across the battlefield. Soon, she had locked down the source, and was training sensors on it.

“I don’t have a visual, sir,” Marlene admitted, “and whatever it’s made of seems to absorb radar and almost any kind of active sensor probe—but chatter on the tac net indicates that it’s small . . .” She blinked, staring at the readings, before adding “Very small—something like human-sized, sir.”

“Human?” The captain blinked. “Are we getting any transmissions from it? IFF signal, anything?”

“No, sir,” Marlene replied. “No transmissions of any kind—but whatever it is, the Invid sure seem to hate it . . .”

The psychic voice of the Invid Regess echoed throughout the minds of her children, her awareness spread throughout them and her authority absolute.

This new human weapon is immune to ours! she observed, as multiple plasma bolts splashed against the armoured surface without so much smudging it—while a return blast from its hand caught the nearest Scout in its sensor eye, delivering a killing blow to the mecha’s pilot.

The armoured figure turned, its metal form radiant on a level the Regess could not fully articulate, but the light filled her with an atavistic dread . . .

It MUST be destroyed! she ordered. Swarm it, that it may fall beneath the sheer weight of our might!

Lieutenant Commander Scott Bernard, 21st Mars Division, had expected a lot of things when arriving to challenge the occupation of humanity’s ancestral home. Combat with the Invid, of course—he’d been very much raised on it, as had all of the Robotech Expeditionary Force since leaving Earth—and no doubt a hard fight. The previous Invid engagements had been spread across multiple worlds, whereas Earth had but a single front to concentrate all of the Invid’s might. It had certainly been enough to repel the 10th Mars Division, sent on the same mission four years earlier.

Still, a single unit, no bigger than a Cyclone, soloing a carrier was a new one, he had to admit. It certainly seemed to take the Invid by surprise, too—and from that point, the unknown had their full attention, such that a lot of them seemed to be actively ignoring Scott.

“Captain, it looks like our unknown friendly has really poked a beehive,” the lieutenant commander reported, borrowing a phrase from his godfather, Doctor Emil Lang. “Should we move to assist?”

“. . . Negative, Commander,” the captain replied grimly. “The priority is, must be, Reflex Point. We have to take out the Invid’s central hive if the Earth is ever going to be free of their domination.”

“Yes, sir,” he acknowledged, though the words left a bitter taste in his mouth. The unknown was a wild card, true—with no way to coordinate with it, its movements on the battlefield were as dangerous to their forces as to the Invid—but whoever or whatever it was, they seemed to be on humanity’s side. So far, the unknown seemed to have been making a point for diving for the heaviest concentrations of mecha; especially transports under siege, to try and get them clear.

It didn’t sit well with Scott to ignore that, but orders were orders—and the captain wasn’t wrong.

If the orders weren’t morally easy to follow, neither were they physically; the unknown had a large amount of the immediate Invid’s attention, but there were still thousands of them, with more emerging from the planet’s atmosphere in waves of reinforcement. Scott and the rest of his unit—along with all of Mars Division—were forced to exercise all of their skill to survive

Sadly, luck played a part in combat, too; and for some of them, it had run out . . .

Damn it, damn it, DAMN IT . . .!

It wasn’t until he saw the dropship sinking into Earth’s atmosphere that Frid knew exactly where, and when, he was. He’d tried to keep an eye on things, just in case, but the damned Invid kept attacking en masse—and with those booster packs, they were faster than he was. So naturally, those were the priority target; with their speed cheats disabled, he could keep out of their reach, and keep an eye on the fleet.

Still, it took a while to break through—his only saving grace was that his Cosmic Armour was as tough as it was, and as capable as his own body was of bio-regeneration—the Invid could do damage, but it required a lot of work.

(Not that they weren’t willing to put it in . . .)

Nevertheless, by the time Frid managed it, a dropship was already starting to glow with the heat of atmospheric re-entry, accompanied by a lone Veritech fighter—undoubtedly that of Scott Bernard, helplessly watching the ship containing his fiancée, Marlene, burn . . .

Realistically, there was nothing Frid could do; the ship was thousands of tons, too damaged to endure the heat, and he had no abilities to combat that. And even if the Code would demand otherwise (and it very much did), there were strong arguments against even making an attempt. After all, if he did manage to intervene, it could change Scott’s story—and the outcome of the war—drastically. His and Ariel’s love was very much at the core of inducing the Invid’s withdrawal from Earth, to say nothing of the victory against the later Haydonite attack; in saving Marlene, if he managed it, Frid might be dooming Earth and humanity—

Never mind the fucking Code! What the HELL is all this power FOR, if you’re not even going to FUCKING TRY?!

An act of will sent him rocketing for the doomed vessel, eyes scanning for the most central, balanced portion—an area that would distribute force as evenly as possible. Setting himself against it, Frid began to push.

Cosmo-knights' abilities weren’t always well-defined, in the rulebook that covered them. They were described as being able to fly through the core of a star, for example, with their immunity to heat, plasma and radiation—but no mention was made of gravity, or the pressure involved in so doing. Likewise, they could fly—but were limited to a multiple of Mach speed in an atmosphere, implying that they could never achieve escape velocity; and yet, the full scope of their powers was only usable in space . . .

The Forge had given him the answer to the seeming paradox. While the thrust element was limited to those speeds, the actual method of a cosmo-knight’s flight was akin to the “contra-gravity” faster-than-light drives of the Three Galaxies—effectively, they told gravity to suck it up and take it. This meant that while it would take him longer to leave a planet than something that genuinely achieved escape velocity, his relative speed had no bearing on actually being able to do it.

And, Frid hoped, it meant that by being in proximity and exerting himself, he could null gravity just enough to slow the heat accumulation, to let the already-firing retro-rockets do their job . . .

The cosmo-knight strained. As Earth’s atmosphere took hold, his flight capability was reduced to two-thirds of its former self. And, as previously noted, he was laughably unable to actually move the ship via raw strength; it was far too heavy, by several orders of magnitude. Furthermore, if he pushed too hard, chances were he’d just punch right through the hull and keep going until he either embedded himself somewhere in its structure or tore his way out the far side. He had to try to spread himself across the hull, spread the effect—and hope that the Robotech super-alloy held—

PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE—!

Something cracked, and Frid felt something—a piece of a wing?—blindside him, sending him hurtling away—

Pointed at the ground, while still attempting to fly forward, at Mach 2 . . .

Ohshi—!

Things very abruptly went black.
    Last edited by Kieran; May 30th, 2022 at 06:48 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran... what did your SI do this time?

Blog Entries
    Most immediately, he got pointed at the ground headfirst while still attempting to move "forward" at Mach 2 - making him that second falling streak that Extrin saw.

(. . . And I'm not sure I like that nickname, now that I'm seeing it written out.)

What he was trying to do was prevent this from happening (sorry for the vocals, but it's the best I could find) - whether or not he succeeded is still under debate.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran, if I'm allowed to weigh my voice in on this decision, I say save as many people from that ship as you can.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I presume protecting the transport is, at first glance, in alignment with the Cosmo Knight Code, though Godafrid could rationalize it to be the other way around, given time. His dismissal of the moral conundrum, damn the consequences, in favour of straightforward action fits really well after the end of Anarchy, especially now that he's been granted phenomenal cosmic power.

I suppose gravity control-related flight doesn't necessarily give you a perfect sense of orientation, unfortunately.

Extrin feels weird. ExtRin? ExtrRin? Hm. We can probably drop the series-context until we actually have to deal with both of them at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Kieran, if I'm allowed to weigh my voice in on this decision, I say save as many people from that ship as you can.
    I'm certainly considering it . . . The question is what to do with them, afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I presume protecting the transport is, at first glance, in alignment with the Cosmo Knight Code, though Godafrid could rationalize it to be the other way around, given time.
    I doubt it, actually, since the Code is fairly comprehensive on the subject. It goes as follows:

1. To Live

Live to serve the Cosmic Forge and the Megaverse.
    Live to defend the Cosmic Forge and all that's good.
    Live to defend all sentients and the innocent.
    Live to defend Nature and the sanctity of all living worlds.
    Live for freedom, justice, and all that is good.

2. Fair Play

Never attack a helpless foe (restrain him if need be).
    Avoid engaging in torture or abuse.
    Avoid lying and cheating, unless necessary for a good cause.

3. Nobility

Obey the laws of the lands you visit, unless they are evil.
    Administer justice equally for all.
    Administer mercy equally for all.
    Protect the innocent regardless of class and race.
    Show respect to authority but not corruption.
    Never accept a position of power over others.
    Avoid glory if it leads to self-aggrandizement.
    Hide yourself among the people until you are needed.

4. Valor

Exhibit courage in word and deed.
    Defend the weak and innocent.
    Destroy evil in all its forms.
    Avenge the wronged.
    Never abandon a friend, ally or noble cause.

5. Honor

Always keep one's word of honor.
    Always maintain one's principles.
    Never betray a confidence or comrade.
    Deceive only to serve justice, or to avoid vain glory.
    Respect life and freedom.
    Die with honor.

6. Courtesy

Never make fun of those weaker than you.
    Be polite to those who deserve it.

7. Loyalty

To one 's principles and heart.
    To one's friends and those who lay their trust in you.
    To the destruction of evil.

. . . As I've said, the class really suits Saber or Shirou, I think - but there are several tenets that I believe would apply here, so unless he wants to Fall (and cosmo-knights can do that), he really can't NOT intervene. What the consequences will be later . . . He'd have to deal with it.

His dismissal of the moral conundrum, damn the consequences, in favour of straightforward action fits really well after the end of Anarchy, especially now that he's been granted phenomenal cosmic power.
    I thought so - he can now play superhero genuinely, so . . .

I suppose gravity control-related flight doesn't necessarily give you a perfect sense of orientation, unfortunately.
    Or at least, not the reaction times necessary to course-correct . . .

Extrin feels weird.
    Yes it does. Saying it is fine, but writing it out . . . Doesn't really work.

ExtRin? ExtrRin? Hm. We can probably drop the series-context until we actually have to deal with both of them at the same time.
    True enough.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Hey, Kieran, question. Could you please do me a solid and assist me with my character's introduction? I need to know what sort of stuff I can feasibly get away with, regarding the whole use of SI stuff... I don't want to end up making a huge mistake, here.

Blog Entries
    . . . I'm going to need a bit more detail than that, I'm afraid.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Let's see how to best explain my point... I'm thinking that my SI will be doing the Reign of Winter AP by Paizo, but I don't know when that will be the case in the timeline. However, before I even get there, I need some details about what is and what isn't allowed in an SI for the Grail Works. For instance, I get that the cosmology of the Grail Works is more focused on the Type-MOON side of things, and thus my character being able to become a Multiversal Godling is against the rules. What else is against the rules that you know of now?