Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast

Thread: Bundle of Joy

First ^seconded, Second ^^my dads the third so I win, i was almost named the forth, -_-.

^^ I shall try, I could probab;y get an omake out of it too.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

@Fallenblades

Yes, but are you from the US?

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chaple View Post
    @mike

I'm not actually offended. I'll add a smiley or something next time. It's also not as common as you might think from television/movies. I've met a couple of 'Junior's, but never any 'The third's.
    I have met a 'XXXXXX the Third' but they have never introduced themselves as such, nor do I know anyone else who does so. It's more of a factoid than anything else.

Actually technically speaking I'm a 'Third' and from the US (I'm not Southern though), but my namesakes are dead. It's a family tradition to hand down the name, and I wasn't named as I am for any intrinsic meaning. Which wouldn't be the case in this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't even be the second admittedly, my father has a different middle name, though judging from what neir was saying only the first name is enough to violate the taboo. If its wishing someone harm though, which I don't...quite understand...is it because you do it for dead people so to do it for a live one is to indirectly say they should be dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I wouldn't even be the second admittedly, my father has a different middle name, though judging from what neir was saying only the first name is enough to violate the taboo. If its wishing someone harm though, which I don't...quite understand...is it because you do it for dead people so to do it for a live one is to indirectly say they should be dead?
    Maybe it's considered designating the newborn as the replacement for the first one?
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....

That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Blog Entries
    It's okay if they're separated by a generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Why is that, if you don't mind me asking? I am actually rather curious.
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    It's okay if they're separated by a generation.
    That would explain the generation gap in my family's tradition. Also, does it only apply when it's the first name, does middle name also count, and does it only apply when you name someone the same as someone else in the family?

If you know. If not, no prob, I'm just curious. Like Tobias.

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAct View Post
    Or she could give birth to a little red-headed girl with gold eyes and name her Kohaku.
    A pair of twins with Shirou's hair and both parents eyes could be Kohaku and Hisui~

Quote Originally Posted by chaple View Post
    @Fallenblades

Yes, but are you from the US?
    Yes. have been since my great grandpas Pa.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^^ I shall try, I could probab;y get an omake out of it too.
    Thank you, and I'd guess at least one.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    A pair of twins with Shirou's hair and both parents eyes could be Kohaku and Hisui~
    Y'know, something tells me some strange guy looking to "adopt" one of Rin's kids might not go over too well.

And if he presses the issue, Daddy has a lot of sharp, pointy things. Makihisa would be leaving full of holes.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Blog Entries
    Generally I've only seen it used as 'relative's first name' -> child's middle name. Often grandparents/great grandparents.

But I'm not actually positive past this point. My understanding (what I was taught) is that it has to be separated by at least one generation (child - grandparent) to use the name.

As for reasons... lol tradition. Sorry guys, I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    If my world religions class was correct, it's based on an old belief that the Angel of Death would be confused by there being two people with the same name, and would take the younger one, instead.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Y'know, something tells me some strange guy looking to "adopt" one of Rin's kids might not go over too well.

And if he presses the issue, Daddy has a lot of sharp, pointy things. Makihisa would be leaving full of holes.
    Yeah, Rin might be Tokiomi's daughter, but there's no way in hell she's giving away one of her kids. Well, to someone like Sakura (who she can trust to look after them), perhaps, but even then it's pretty unlikely unless she was desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Generally I've only seen it used as 'relative's first name' -> child's middle name. Often grandparents/great grandparents.

But I'm not actually positive past this point. My understanding (what I was taught) is that it has to be separated by at least one generation (child - grandparent) to use the name.

As for reasons... lol tradition. Sorry guys, I dunno.
    My middle name is my Dad's first name, actually. And, in turn, my grandfather also has it as his middle name, and I believe that his father (or, at least, the eldest child in his father's family) had it as his first name.

It alternates, between being a first name and a middle name (to have it as a first name in every generation would just be confusing...).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    If my world religions class was correct, it's based on an old belief that the Angel of Death would be confused by there being two people with the same name, and would take the younger one, instead.
    The younger​ one? Huh.

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.

Blog Entries
    That's fascinating, I live for cool old stories like that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    The younger​ one? Huh.
    Well, this belief does come from a time when infant mortality rates were staggeringly high. Sudden deaths weren't nearly as uncommon as they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    That's fascinating, I live for cool old stories like that
    I do love history and folklore.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Well, this belief does come from a time when infant mortality rates were staggeringly high. Sudden deaths weren't nearly as uncommon as they are today.
    Good point.

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.