Page 273 of 275 FirstFirst ... 173223263268271272273274275 LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,460 of 5494

Thread: Jojo's Bizarre Threadventure

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Finished the last batch. Man, I hate the Netflix batch release thing. Other than that, I liked the part a lot. Lots of good fights, a great cast and a crazy ending. Also, bless the absolute madmen for their choice for the final ED. Man, I love JoJo.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 28: Jolyne was a little flirty with Emporio when entrusting Jotaro's disc to him. Feel like the boy got a precocious crush on her in that scene if he hadn't already. Honestly Ermes' reaction to the hole was pretty funny to me. Just the perfect amount of "what the fuck is this and I want nothing to do with it" that someone IRL would show to a giant fuckoff hole appearing in the ground, contrasted with Jolyne's insistence on diving right in to pursue Pucci.

Not sure what was going on with the whole taste-testing bit between Pucci and Versace. Not only did the dish have a blatantly obvious shrimp on top, but Versace initially denied it had shellfish despite outright admitting there was crab in it. Feels like the translation got some wires crossed as a mollusk allergy instead of shellfish would make more sense there (and might indirectly foreshadow some later events). I also have to question what kind of hospital would not only serve fancy seafood dishes but not even double-check them with a visitor's allergies when they explicitly say so. Then again, it is Florida so...

Jolyne injuring Underworld with a thrown pen might contradict the rule on only Stands hurting Stands, but since the entire plane was a construct of his ability perhaps it counts as "spiritual" too.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; December 14th, 2022 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Corrected episode number

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^ "Only Stands can fight Stands" isn't really a hard rule as much as it is an excuse to have Stand fights in the first place, as opposed to say Hamon solving everything.

From the evidence across the series, there appears to be a level where anything spirit related can interact with Stands and vice-versa such as Rohan discovering his Stand works on ghosts to a limited degree in Part 4, but in his own series he can't trump either Yokai or literal Gods - just subtly manipulate their human hosts to allow him to escape in both cases.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 29: I love Emporio's WTF is going on face when Jolyne was trying to explain how she went down a hole and ended up in a crashing plane. Really encapsulates what it's like trying to describe JoJo fights to those who aren't familiar with the series. Now Weather's got his memories back and it looks like he might be a threat to rival Pucci.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; December 7th, 2022 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Corrected episode number (for real this time)

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 30: Fuck, those snails. This episode was some straight SCP Foundation level shit. While the sheer imagery of rainbow snail apocalypse is so absurd as to be kind of funny, really thinking of something as innocuous as rainbows warping you into an inhuman creature that's then helpless to be eaten alive by goddamn snail-sucking bugs is downright spinecrawling. On a lighter note I'm happy to have finally reached Jolyne's infamous line expressing jealousy of snails for getting to have sex with anything. That numbers high as one of the most memetic Stone Ocean lines and I'm really glad they didn't cut it (as opposed to some other flavorful lines like Anasui's "Where the fuck is Mickey?" speech or Jolyne spoiling The Sixth Sense).

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 31: Now that backstory was intense. Even the animation felt extra fluid like DP was really trying to do it justice. Of course it immediately became kind of funny when this epic tale of loss and good intentions gone awry is juxtaposed with a return of the snail apocalypse, but that straightfaced blend of pathos and absurdity is just what makes JoJo so amazing.

Am still a little confused about the racist detective's claim that Wes' mom married a Black man. Did he mean Wes' original (Pucci) family (in which case he must've missed Perla would also be mixed-race, making it not miscegenation at all) or the one he was swapped out at birth with? Either way it's strange he didn't have any problem dealing with Pucci himself, whose clearly at least mixed-race and strongly inherited darker features.

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Stone Ocean 31: Am still a little confused about the racist detective's claim that Wes' mom married a Black man. Did he mean Wes' original (Pucci) family (in which case he must've missed Perla would also be mixed-race, making it not miscegenation at all) or the one he was swapped out at birth with? Either way it's strange he didn't have any problem dealing with Pucci himself, whose clearly at least mixed-race and strongly inherited darker features.
    Yeah that really confused me as well. Like wouldn't Pucci, a clearly black (or as you said clearly darker skinned man) that lives in a big fuck-off mansion be a much a bigger target for them? Not that I'm implying that the Klan rolls around with a lot of logic, mind you, but I really do think it is kind of distracting and takes away from the stakes.

Also I might be insane, but did they censor the lynching scene, because I clearly remember seeing a panel of it and the mob was wearing full Klan getup? If so, I do find it kinda weird in the context of what the franchise got away with before, especially Part 2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    Yeah that really confused me as well. Like wouldn't Pucci, a clearly black (or as you said clearly darker skinned man) that lives in a big fuck-off mansion be a much a bigger target for them? Not that I'm implying that the Klan rolls around with a lot of logic, mind you, but I really do think it is kind of distracting and takes away from the stakes.

Also I might be insane, but did they censor the lynching scene, because I clearly remember seeing a panel of it and the mob was wearing full Klan getup? If so, I do find it kinda weird in the context of what the franchise got away with before, especially Part 2.
    That in itself you could rationalize as them prioritizing going after a Black who'd dare kiss a White girl over Blacks in general (plus, Pucci was paying him). But the crooked detective guy straight-up tells Perla her brother hired him, meaning he knows she's Pucci's sister yet still doesn't consider her mixed-race too. It really does seem Pucci isn't considered Black in-universe despite his appearance. I've read some people saying that Pucci could be Sicilian, a group of Italians who have a lot of African ancestry. So he could be somewhat mixed-race without being officially "Black", and have inherited more of those features than his siblings. It is still strange on the face of it though.

And yeah, DP did nix the KKK robes. It's consistent with them avoiding outright naming Hitler and the Nazis in the part 2 adaptation, but a little disappointing given the KKK were clearly portrayed in a purely negative light and their inclusion adds to the RL racial context of that scene.

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 32: RIP Weather, he wasn't as much of a scumbag as he seemed with his memories back and died like a badass giving his all to take Pucci down with him. So the rainbows actually work via subliminal messaging? Not sure if that entirely jibes with how they were depicted in past episodes, like Emporio getting affected while unconscious by touching Jolyne.

Pucci also used Whitesnake in a few ways that weren't clearly established before, like basically mindcontrolling Anasui by sticking his fingers into the back of his neck(?) and whatever he did to Versace to disguise the other man as himself (I think he put a disc into Versace forcing him to use Underworld to excavate a memory of Pucci and overlay it on himself, which would be within the bounds of his abilities, but it wasn't super-clear).

And Weather somehow used Pucci's ability to take out his own Stand as a disc and leave it for the gang to find. But would any of them actually be able to use it? You'd think that'd violate the rule of not having two Stands at once, and Jolyne had the Star Platinum disc fly out of her when she tried slotting it into herself way back.

In any case, with all the midbosses out of the way it looks like the last few episodes will be all about taking down Pucci.

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 33: That scene of Jolyne and Ermes making fun of the alligators was comedy gold. Have to say I don't get why whenever the gang needs a vehicle they keep getting Emporio to drive, when he's a literal kid and needs wooden blocks for his feet to even reach the pedals. He was even looking at the ghost computer while driving! C-Moon's ability makes for some really creative scenarios. I've sometimes imagined what it'd be like navigating the world with gravity pointing a different direction, so that was really cool to see.

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 34: Pretty dynamic fight. Weird Jolyne didn't just unravel her leg to get it unstuck from the ticket-booth though. Between Jotaro finally arriving on the scene and Jolyne somehow recovering from getting her heart inverted, it looks like they'll manage to draw things out for two days of in-universe time until the New Moon.

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 35: Jolyne weaving herself into a Mobius Strip to counter Pucci's gravity inversion has to be one of the top 10 JoJo's strategies ever. Like that is legitimately ingenious, and the kind of thing you could only find in this series. Shooting part of the episode from Pucci's perspective as he desperately tries to figure out how she's still alive and moving around was also a nice touch. Almost makes Jolyne come off as a horror-movie antagonist the way she kept appearing and touching him before vanishing again. Kind of funny that in a series full of such esoteric tactics Pucci's ultimate trump card against Jolyne turned out to be just grabbing a gun. Well, it is America I suppose...

And of course, Jotaro is back baby!! That moment where he appeared to save Jolyne and his Stardust Crusaders theme started playing was so hype. So it turned out just the gravitional conditions of the New Moon were needed for Pucci and not the time itself. That makes sense since I had trouble believing they were really going to last for 36 hours. Now that Pucci's obtaining his ultimate power, it looks like the true final battle is at hand.

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 36: The buildup to Made In Heaven's reveal was wonderfully done. Never having fast-moving clouds been so ominous. Mentioning you're a convicted murderer when asking your crush's dad for his blessing is admirably honest but probably not winning you any favors, Anasui. Pucci in his new form is even capable of pushing Jotaro to the brink, and he would've died if not for Anasui pulling a save. Looks like the gang will have all to work together to have a chance of bringing him down before he destroys the whole world...

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    burn your dread you coward

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 37: Holy crap, what a shocking episode. The main cast was straight-up slaughtered with Emporio as the sole survivor and time accelerated until the universe was seemingly reset, bringing him and the story right back to Green Dolphin Street Prison. It's hard to believe these events will stick, although this series has been willing to kill off heroes before (heck, Jonathan died in the very first part). That aside there were a lot of beautiful scenes in this episode showcasing the effects of Made In Heaven. The rising sun reflecting in ripples across the water, everything about Jolyne's last stand (the flock of butterflies and her leaving the dolphin to hold off Pucci) and the final barrage of apocalyptic imagery before the universe reset were particularly well-done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    Hoo boy, here's hoping it's a lot better than Jojolion was.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    How was part 8 now that it's all wrapped up? I remember people being cagey about it as it was going on and hearing that the ending was super rushed, but that was pretty much it.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    People know how vocal I am about my dislike of Part 5, but no matter annoyed at it I get, at least that is still out of passion. Whereas with Jojolion I just felt empty after the end and even now I only think about how my time could have been better spent doing anything else.

Blog Entries
    Stone Ocean 38: So we finally found out Pucci's idea of "Heaven", a world where everyone is instinctively aware of their fates from birth and hence have no fear or uncertainty over the future. Whereas Emporio opposes his plan (as well as out of fury at Pucci for killing Jolyne and the others) because it makes people just lifeless slaves of Fate, while true courage is doing your best even not knowing what the future holds. Just one part ago Vento Aureo heavily implies resolution and accepting your fate as good things, so it's interesting how Araki is willing to problematize his own themes here.

Fitting in a way Emporio was the one to take out Pucci, as he killed the boy's mother before the events of the part even took place, and he did it with Weather's Stand too, making it a two-for-one blow of karma. The ending is a little unclear, but it seems Jolyne and the others were reborn in the new universe without memories of this part, but still having lived happier lives than their original counterparts and pulled by fate/gravity to meet each other again.

Still bittersweet given while most of Jotaro's memories would likely be the same given they predated Pucci and Stone Ocean, and we didn't really see enough of Ermes to say, enough changed for Irene and Anakiss it's arguable if you can really say they're the same people without having gone through those experiences, even if they're happier. Especially if you believe in F.F's thoughts from a while back that memories are what define a person. I guess one way to sweeten it a bit would be to assume character-development (unlike foreknowledge) from the previous universe unconsciously carries over, so Jolyne still matured from her adventures in prison, Jotaro knows to be a better dad and Anasui became less of a murderous jerk.

Overall a very good finale and moving capstone to the original continuity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    The ending is a little unclear, but it seems Jolyne and the others were reborn in the new universe without memories of this part, but still having lived happier lives than their original counterparts and pulled by fate/gravity to meet each other again.
    Apparently the anime staff decided to include F.F in the new universe? Whereas she was absent in the heroes' gathering in the original manga.

I don't know if I like that or not.