Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dynasty Warriors

Beams are so... Unisex SpetsnazChick's Avatar
    oh cool a DW thread, i honestly have played all the games for this series (not 7 legends though) and i loved number 7 because the fact you can use any weapon you want is sweet plus i get to ride a bear! F YEA!

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    I'm still new to the series but did my research after getting to the series. Very interesting set of games, totally hype for the release of Dynasty Warriors , C'MON JULY COME FASTER.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    So I went searching for a Dynasty Warriors thread on this forum and lo and behold, we have one! Only, it's been down since before DW8 came out. Therefore, I decided to resurrect it to discuss the newest entry in the series.

I personally liked 8 a lot. The new three point battle system mixes up the combat quite a bit, making for far less button mashing and adding an additional reason to collect weapons all over the place (which is a particular bonus since everyone has a unique weapon now). Being able to automatically jump on your horse by holding down the call horse button also makes the battles flow smoother and just makes so much sense. The progression system also works better, unlocking your later combos and second musou attack with higher levels so as to give you more reason to level up your characters. Rage mode is also a lot of fun, making for a spectacular way to just clean up a large group of enemies.

On to the new gameplay modes, the story mode works really well from a gameplay perspective. Now there's actual reasons to try your hardest in the battles as you can save people who died historically and if you save enough of them, you can unlock the hypothetical routes, which are a blast to play. Some of the final confrontations are just great, basically letting you field your entire roster against everybody the enemy has. It's hugely satisfying when you see everybody, including the people who were supposed to die, join you to destroy the entire opposition.

My only gripe with this new system is that it comes at the expense of the historical routes, which were fantastic in 7, but not as good here. In DW7, the story could actually be emotional and compelling at times because the writers didn't have to keep the possibility that you'd save everybody in mind, so they could play up deaths and defeats before they actually happened. Now, everyone in the game seems to die of wounds after fighting through them for half a battle, or random arrows that only happen at the end of the mission. Kind of sucks the impact out of a lot of them. The results aren't necessarily "bad," but they don't carry the same impact as they did in 7, which is a shame.

Ambition mode on the other hand is a great addition. It's really fun to amass a massive army of basically every officer in the game and upgrade your people through the roof. Fighting duel battles and seeing how far you can go before you have to take a break from the challenge is immensely enjoyable. The only thing that sticks out as an issue is how annoying it is to gather materials. When you compare how long it takes to get them vs getting fame and followers, it's kind of a slog.

The last thing is the new character additions. These I'm kind of mixed about. The Shu and Jin additions are almost all stellar, with particular mention going to Jia Chong in all his creepy friendliness. The only exception I'd make there is Guan Yinping, who is not only completely dull and a gimmick character, but has zero relevance to the story at all. The Wei and Wu additions aren't nearly as good, although the Wei ones have a bit more character to them and are more fun to play as.

Anyhow, DW8 Xtreme Legends is on the horizon with new game modes and new characters. So here's hoping that it ends up great.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    What got me hooked was Warriors Orochi 3. And that was only watching online.

Also into looking into the actual historical figures or the stories about them.

And since there's not a Samurai Warriors thread: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...iews-main-cast

Tranquilo, Japones, Tranquilo JetKinen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looks really fun

I just hope we get it here in the west.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I think it will but a year or two later.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    So I went searching for a Dynasty Warriors thread on this forum and lo and behold, we have one! Only, it's been down since before DW8 came out. Therefore, I decided to resurrect it to discuss the newest entry in the series. I personally liked 8 a lot. The new three point battle system mixes up the combat quite a bit, making for far less button mashing and adding an additional reason to collect weapons all over the place (which is a particular bonus since everyone has a unique weapon now). Being able to automatically jump on your horse by holding down the call horse button also makes the battles flow smoother and just makes so much sense. The progression system also works better, unlocking your later combos and second musou attack with higher levels so as to give you more reason to level up your characters. Rage mode is also a lot of fun, making for a spectacular way to just clean up a large group of enemies. On to the new gameplay modes, the story mode works really well from a gameplay perspective. Now there's actual reasons to try your hardest in the battles as you can save people who died historically and if you save enough of them, you can unlock the hypothetical routes, which are a blast to play. Some of the final confrontations are just great, basically letting you field your entire roster against everybody the enemy has. It's hugely satisfying when you see everybody, including the people who were supposed to die, join you to destroy the entire opposition. My only gripe with this new system is that it comes at the expense of the historical routes, which were fantastic in 7, but not as good here. In DW7, the story could actually be emotional and compelling at times because the writers didn't have to keep the possibility that you'd save everybody in mind, so they could play up deaths and defeats before they actually happened. Now, everyone in the game seems to die of wounds after fighting through them for half a battle, or random arrows that only happen at the end of the mission. Kind of sucks the impact out of a lot of them. The results aren't necessarily "bad," but they don't carry the same impact as they did in 7, which is a shame. Ambition mode on the other hand is a great addition. It's really fun to amass a massive army of basically every officer in the game and upgrade your people through the roof. Fighting duel battles and seeing how far you can go before you have to take a break from the challenge is immensely enjoyable. The only thing that sticks out as an issue is how annoying it is to gather materials. When you compare how long it takes to get them vs getting fame and followers, it's kind of a slog. The last thing is the new character additions. These I'm kind of mixed about. The Shu and Jin additions are almost all stellar, with particular mention going to Jia Chong in all his creepy friendliness. The only exception I'd make there is Guan Yinping, who is not only completely dull and a gimmick character, but has zero relevance to the story at all.
    Thing is, they could have expanded her story by adding the fact that Sun Quan was willing to spare Guan Yu if Guan Yu allowed her to marry Sun Quan's son.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoliVampLover View Post
    Thing is, they could have expanded her story by adding the fact that Sun Quan was willing to spare Guan Yu if Guan Yu allowed her to marry Sun Quan's son.
    Yet they didn't.

For the moment, she's completely pointless and serves only to make muscle jokes and provide fanservice because having one useless woman in Shu (Bao Sanniang) clearly wasn't enough. Hell, at least Bao Sanniang is there to make Guan Suo's life less shitty. Considering this faction has great female characters like Xingcai and Yueying, I'm wondering where all the creative ideas went.

Also, please keep the spacing when quoting if you can. More of a technical thing, but still.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I was just look at different portrayals of Chen Gong's death, and depending on the version, dying Chen Gong really just gives a quick summary of that series's Cao Cao:

Blog Entries
    I really like the Dynasty Warriors portrayal of Chen Gong he's got just the right amount of boastfulness that it really works with Lu Bu.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But it's kinda weird that Chen Gong keeps citing the fact that Cao Cao could not kill Dong Zhuo as a sign of his weakness. Chen Gong usually leaves Cao Cao because he dislikes Cao Cao's moral character (usually, for what happened with Lu Boshe in works based more on the fictitious novel, and usually for what happened at Xu Province in regards to Cao Song in works based more in history). Still watching Souten Kouro is more of a guilty pleasure for me (without the guilt), as YouTube comments will keep saying that it's inaccurate to "what actually happened".

They actually mean what was written fictitiously in the novel. For example, Hua Xiong not being killed by Guan Yu (historically, he was defeated by Sun Jian's forces, but it is vague who actually dealt the killing blow, but it could not have been anyone associated with Liu Bei because he and his men were busy fighting off Yellow Turban remnants), and Guan Yu not getting Red Hare (both a result of Luo Guanzhong's Guan Yu fan-wanking).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wonder... Is it good to focus on being on the straight and narrow path, or is it bad to have narrow ideals?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Warriors Orochi, rather than Dynasty Warriors, but apparently, Guan Suo is teaching Kyubi to be Fate Tamamo:

A little fluff is worth more than all the wealth and power in the world.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Watching the Heike Monogatari anime, I really don't like what the localization of Warriors Orochi does to weapon names. Namely Kiyomori's. In the original, all his weapons were named after his kids. In the localization, all the weapon names are just edgy bullshit. I guess that the localization wanted Kiyomori to be a 1-dimensional villain, while the original wanted him to have more depth and historical accuracy, made more apparent in the sequels.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate Cao Cao's Reinhard outfit for the Legend of the Galactic Heroes collab. Sieg Kaiser Mengde.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if there is a Samurai Warriors thread, so I'll just post this here. While I appreciate that we finally get to raze Mt. Hiei in SW5, I don't appreciate the fact that they kill off Nohime in that battle just to give Nobu the shallow "dead wife" motive for his actions (LOL, Castlevania's Dracula). This reminds me of a lot of tourists to the Fate genre who, by mixing up cause and effect, think that Kotomine "went evil" because of his dying wife dying. You know, they ignore the fact that he deliberately married a terminally ill woman with the express purpose of watching her die up close.