Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: General Fanfiction Recommendations

The snark was a boojum
    In honour of the patron saint of epilepsy.

Category:My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU/やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている
    Title: The End of the Affair
    By: Frog-kun
    Synopsis: Future fic. At the end of high school, Hachiman never did forsake his philosophy. He and Yukino part ways to pursue the lives of loners. Years later, they meet again, but there is no possibility of an innocent high school romance now. Rated for adult themes.

Comments: A heartwarming tale of romance. I'm reliably informed that if Urobuchi wrote a rom-com it might look something like this.

Excerpt:
    Yukinoshita, I suppose you'll never know it, but that's what I've always loved about you.

Category: One Piece
    Title: Methyl-Nitrate-Pineapples
    By: razbliuto
    Synopsis: It's not enough that Sophie's lost on the Grand Line, nope. She's also strapped to an operating table, leagues away from G-13, as a mad doctor injects her with poison. Well, sometimes you gotta take a few detours before you find your way home. LawOC, sort of.

Comments:
    As you might expect from the title and summary, this fic contains chemistry, literary abuse of fruit, a polar bear, and love. Maybe not that last one.

Excerpt:
    WHAT THE FRICK-FRACKIN' PINEAPPLES.

Category: Dwarf Fortress
    Title: Tholzagith: A Forgotten Tale
    By: Fw00sh
    Synopsis: Here lies the tale of Tholzagith, a Forgotten Beast of lore. Read on and see what horrid fate this epic has in store.
    Comments:
    Poetry is suitable for Valentine's day, right? And when's the last time you saw Dwarf Fortress fanfiction of any kind, let alone poetry?
    Last edited by Gauss; July 4th, 2020 at 12:33 PM.
    The play is done; the curtain drops,
    Slow falling to the prompter's bell;
    A moment yet the actor stops
    And looks around to say farewell.
    It is an irksome word and task...

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Gauss. The Oregairu story was especially enjoyable, along with that author's other stories.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Category: Harry Potter, Dungeons & Dragons

Title:
    Harry Potter and the Natural 20

By:
    Sir Poley

Synopsis: "
    Milo, a genre-savvy D&D Wizard and Adventurer Extraordinaire is forced to attend Hogwarts, and soon finds himself plunged into a new adventure of magic, mad old Wizards, metagaming, misunderstandings, and munchkinry."

Comments:
    It is stupidly fun and one of my favorite fanfics. I generally despise fan fiction. You don't need to be familiar with D&D to enjoy this but you will get far more enjoyment out of it if you are. Milo is basically a player character cut off from his player, so he just seems like an insane person who tries to exploit everyone and everything according to "rules" that don't make sense to anyone except himself.

Excerpt:

There was an evil forest. An animated tree (a disguised Treant, possibly?). A lake with mermaids. "This place is awesome," he said. The amount of XP he could get just from random encounters in the school grounds alone... it suddenly made sense to him how such a school could be an effective way to gain power. This place was clearly, really, incredibly, obviously, brilliantly dangerous.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; February 14th, 2016 at 11:24 PM.

The snark was a boojum
    It's that time of year again.

Category: Prototype
    Title: Mittens
    By: DarkGidora
    Synopsis: An unstoppable virus monster tries to figure out what to get his sister for her birthday. Shoplifitng, helicopter crashes, and an angry Blackwatch general ensue.

Comments: What kind of recommendation list is complete without a kitty?

Excerpt:
    In the plague-ridden city of Manhattan, a solemn figure stood on the edge of the roof, looking down at the ruined city below him. A squad of Blackwatch soldiers passed on the streets, not noticing they were being watched by the grim creature.

For his part, the figure narrated the tale of the events which had led to his current situation. My name is Alex Mercer. I'm the reason for all of this. They call me a killer, a monster, a terrorist. I'm all of these things…

"Mew?"

"Damn it! Now you're ruining my monologues! Bad kitty!"

Category: Harry Potter
    Title: Alabaster and Vermillion
    By: Nuhuh/Dark Syaoran (possibly others)
    Synopsis: At the end of his fourth year, Harry Potter is kidnapped to be an unwilling participant in the revival of a dark power. No, not Voldemort, but Voldebabe -- She-Who-Is-Stacked-Like-Whoa.

Excerpts:
    "Sirius Black, that is quite enough!" Molly Weasley shouted over Sirius's spontaneous and incoherent joyous song and dance. "We cannot make light of that evil witch sexually abusing our Harry."

Sirius waved the woman away and hurriedly kneeled in front of Harry and grasped his hands. "Now, Harry, this is what you're going to do, you will go back to the Dark Lady-"

"What?!" Hermione shrieked.

"- And you will knock her up and than leave her with the bag!" Sirius concluded with vicious glee, pumping a fist in victory.

"No he's not knocking her up and leaving her!" Molly interjected, pushing Sirius away from Harry. "Harry Potter, you will take responsibility for what you do, no sort of good man walks out on a woman after impregnating her-"
    "Harry, your daughter with Voldebabe has come back in time, may I introduce Voldebabette."

Category: Naruto
    Title: Naruto: Rogue Fox
    By: Axenome
    Synopsis: Just a few words, lost in a conversation known only by a few... Just a few words extra, spoken rashly in haste and anger... Only a few words different... and what difference could they possibly make?

Comments:
    There's plenty of (bad) fanfiction involving handing Naruto overpowered (dou)jutsu on a platter. Here's a fic that stays true to the actual requirements for the power... now who was Naruto's best friend as of the very beginning of canon?

Category: Dungeons and Dragons
    Title: One Round
    By: Kar-Vermin
    Synopsis: Never, EVER, play cards in the D&D universe.

Excerpt:
    "… I started thinking about the card games people play in the D&D universe… It felt like D&D's card game should have a lot to do with dragons and big stacks of gold coins… "

-Rob Heinsoo (DRAGON Magazine advertisement)

"… as a standard action, she can perceive anything within ten miles of her worshipers, holy sites, objects, or any location where one of her titles or names was spoken in the last hour."

-Deities and Demigods, page 94
    Last edited by Gauss; July 4th, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

The snark was a boojum
    Category: Final Fantasy VI
    Title: Dead Man's Logic
    By: Asa Sanderson
    Synopsis: The afterlife and times of Kefka Palazzo

Excerpt:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and give you some advice. If ever you find yourself sitting on the Phantom Train, riding to the "other side," and you're possessed by some extraordinarily puerile desire to sneak into the engine room and start pulling the levers out of the wall and tearing the wiring apart just to see it all spark... make sure you know who's riding with you, first. If I'd bothered asking around a bit, I might have known Wrexsoul was on the same train as me, and then I'd have known he'd escape when that damned train derailed, and then perhaps I would have thought about that while I was standing in the Phantom Train's engine room with tangled, broken wire clenched in my pale fists.

I still would have torn it up.

Category: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Title: On Being a Sith Lord
    By: DarthAmmonite
    Synopsis: Having a Sith Lord in your head is bad...having a Sith Lord with a really foul sense of humor is even worse.

Comments:
    The only KotOR fic worth reading

Excerpt:
    "You…" said Darth Malak, closing his hand into a fist, "are Darth Revan."

Sabine glanced over her shoulder briefly to see who he was talking to. Carth? No, the surgery involved would be ridiculous. Bastila? Well, anything's possible, and she does like to hear herself talk, but I wouldn't have guessed—

"You," said Malak. "In front of me. With the purple lightsaber." It was difficult for cybernetics to look nonplussed, but he managed.

Category:
    Final Fantasy XII/Vagrant Story/Final Fantasy Tactics
    Title: Scheherezade
    By: Moe Machina
    Synopsis: In which we share stories with monsters in Ivalice.

Comments:
    Not quite a tale of a thousand and one nights, but still an excellent interweaving of stories within stories. The contrast between the story the readers see and that told to the characters is particularly well done imo.

Excerpt:
    "Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess..."

"Well,"
    he said, "once upon a time, before the High Queen had ascended her throne, she was promised in marriage to the prince of a neighboring land. Guests came from far and wide, and the celebrations went on for weeks. And on the evening before the wedding, a strange old beggar-woman came to the gates of the High Queen's city and said that she had a gift for the High Queen..."

"Once upon a time,"
    he said, "in a land far away, there lived a king. Now this king was a great king, and he had ruled over a mighty empire, but he was also an old king. He had no children; his wife, the queen, had died young, and the king had never remarried..."

"Once upon a time, in a land far away, an emperor married a queen, and they had four sons. But one day, the emperor discovered the queen had conspired with her two eldest sons against him..."

"Once upon a time, in a land far away, a prince came riding into the estate owned by an ancestor of mine..."

"Well, then. Once upon a time, in a land far away, the Good King Delita--although this was before he was king, you understand--went riding in a woods when he came upon a princess being kidnapped..."

"Once upon a time,"
    she heard herself say, "before the High Queen came to her throne, she went on a mighty quest and achieved a magic stone..."

"Once upon a time, in a land far away, there existed twelve magic stones, and each contained a most horrifying monster. These stones were responsible for great evil over the years..."
    Last edited by Gauss; July 4th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1211129...rred-Survivors
    Category:
    Oh! My Goddess
    Title:
    Scarred Survivors
    By:
    IdiAmeanDada
    Synopsis: In order to get by, we draw strength from each other.
    Comments:
    As an avid fanfiction fan, it is to my great joy to read incredible fanfics. As an avid Oh! My Goddess fan, it is even to my greater joy to find incredible fanfics based on it.
    There are a lot of ways to describe to work, and amazing is only one of them.
    First and foremost, this is an AU of Oh! My Goddess. But an AU in which Murphy's law struck true in many ways, and indeed things go wrong from before the very beginning.
    In essence, an introduction to this fanfic is during a time of great sorrow. 10 years before the start of the story, a great and horrible mistake takes Keiichi's wish and gives it the most undeserving all people in the series' setting. At the present time, Urd is struggling to contact Belldandy, who completely vanished off the radar but is unable to even approach because of the rules of Heaven. In this story, Keiichi and his family immigrated to America, where he became nothing less than a navy SEAL. Urd, having come into contact with him during a chance encounter a long time ago, enlists his help in rescuing her sister.
    From then, the true tragedy begins.
    First, reader discretion is advised. The fic deals in the very dark and horrible realities of our world, and how even a person like Belldandy, who is known as a shining paragon of forgiveness and understanding, can become very jaded and very broken after experiencing true hell for a decade. It deals in the sorrows and horrors soldiers on the battlefield experience, it deals in coping and healing, and it deals in sadness and panic that perhaps some of us in the real world have very much gone through. And in the end, it deals with a sorrow bunch, all with very heavy burdens on their shoulders, and how together they slowly move toward the future.
    In a nutshell, it's when you take the cast of Oh! My Goddess and give them all severe PTSD. I recommend anyone who likes the series, as well as likes dark turns to them, and give it a read. I do believe it will not disappoint.

F/GO friend code: 319871588/solopy567

The snark was a boojum
    Category: Oz
    Title: The Princess of Ev
    By: JoIsBishMyoga
    Synopsis: When Langwidere is seven, her uncle chops off her head. A pre-Ozma of Oz fic.

Comments: One could be forgiven for forgetting a minor character who appears for a couple chapters and then vanishes entirely save a brief mention at the conclusion. The Oz series is full of such. This oneshot provides a backstory for Princess Langwidere, she who (in case you've forgotten) keeps a collection of maidens' heads (no, not maidenheads -- actual, literal, cut-off-at-the-neck heads).

Category: Warframe
    Title: Scavengers - A Warframe Story
    By: Katsuhiro
    Synopsis: Two scavengers find something deep beneath the ice; a relic of the Old War. A relic that would change their lives forever.

Comments:
    I've never played Warframe, but this seems decently written.

Excerpt:
    Kelpo's initial read had been wrong. It was not a tunnel at all.

The chamber was a natural formation; a vast vaulted ceiling of icicles and frozen rock.

Less natural was the crashed ship at its center; a twisted ruin of curling metal and burst organic matter. Frozen coolant had warped the ice around it an oily black. The rock itself had been scorched and frozen over. Whatever impact trajectory the ship had taken, it could not be described as a gentle landing.

There was no impact hole from the surface. This had sat here for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Kelpo's scanner wand cheeped manically. He twisted it off, leaving the two men alone in stunned silence.

After a moment, Kelpo was the first to speak.

"So… what do you think it is?" he asked.

Telin's eyes never left the shattered ship.

"Opportunity."

Category:
    Metroid
    Title: Inheritance
    By: Cuofeng
    Synopsis: After the fall of Phaaze and the end of the X-plague the galaxy was at peace. But as Samus wandered out at the edges of space, whispers came to her of something new: an ancient discovery, a Space Pirate force bearing down on a Federation outpost, and a fight brewing in the bones of the silent Chozo empire.

Comments:
    Not just the best Metroid fic I've yet encountered, but one of the best fics period. Excellent foreshadowing, solid pacing, and great characterization including the best Space Pirates I've read since The Unsinkable Dr B. Absolutely stellar.

Excerpt:
    "Behold and stand amazed, our most terrible instrument strikes forth, though not loosed by our hand. Hear its approach, travelers who tread on our bones. Fear its hunger, for within it are multitudes and evolution is its constant. Marvel at its creation, on a far distant planet for far stranger prey. And weep for those who unleash it here, for this tomb shall be the cradle of its apotheosis."