Yes. Repost.

A world filled with lies. A world where reality holds no meaning. A world where nothing can be defined.

The Eternal Masquerade.

Countless ever changing realities, mutually exclusive from one another. All but a mask upon reality.

---

1-2-3

<em>Locked in embrace.</em>

1-2-3

<em>To whisk and turn. </em>

1-2-

<em>A waltz cut short.</em>

1-

<em>The lies are torn asunder.</em>

3-2-1

<em>The Masquerade ends.</em>

<em>Now awaken.</em>

---
As the mask split clean in half from her face, she froze. There was no longer music in her ears. Only a strangely nostalgic noise resounded within the depths of her mind. That was right.

Thought.

<em>Just how long was I dancing for?</em>

<em>Just why am I dancing?</em>

<em>Why have I stopped? </em>

<em>Why is everybody still dancing?</em>

As if nothing was amiss, the various couples continued their chassé around the ballroom. Even without music. Even though the chandelier gave no light. Even though the carpet was long worn out.

The masked gentleman before her simply stood still. The pair stood still as time itself, locked in embrace.

The strings have been severed. There was no longer any purpose or meaning. Only emptiness.

She grasped desperately at any thought she could.

Then she could feel something ringing. Resonating. There were manacles fastened around her wrists, but the chains hung free. Yet they tugged away at her.

<em>I have to leave.</em>

Thus she acted upon it. It was the only direction she had. An puppet could only move according to the strings attached. She tore herself from her masked partner and wove through the dancing couples. As she reached the hallway, she broke into a run.

Out into the dark hallways. Through rotting oak doors. Down a spiral staircase. As if her chains were connected to something leading the way, she traversed various corridors and halls. And finally out of the ruined castle walls. As if her chains were connected to something leading away.

A vast expanse of space sprinkled with countless lights spread out before her eyes.

<em>...</em>

Her chains fell silent. She was once again empty and simply stood there. Silent. Motionless.

<em>Tip, tap, tip, tap</em>

The masked man stood before her. He held out his hand.

<em>I should take his hand.</em>

Her chains once again tugged at her.

<em>And return to endless bliss?</em>

It was then a shining light screamed as it streaked across the sky. Her chains rung again, as if drawn towards it.

<em>Or will you uncover the truth?</em>

Gears were set in motion. She could no longer simply follow the strings attached to her. One cannot move in two opposite directions at once.

<em>Contradiction.</em>

It was in that moment she had sprung to life. Not as mere marionette. She was still following a string, but this time it was by choice.

<em>I have chosen. </em>

She left it all behind. As she ran, she could feel the air enter her lungs and her heart race. Sounds of her footsteps echoed in her ears. Nostalgic, forgotten sensations all returning to her, filling up her empty self.

Her mind began to work once again. Words surfaced in her mind as she observed her passing scenery.

<em>Recognition.</em>

Trees. Dirt. Sky. Stars. Darkness. Light. As her chains led her through the dark forest, another nostalgic feeling welled up from within her.

<em>Anxiety. Hope.</em>

The unknown path that she now followed came with uncertainty but along with it, possibility. Anxious at not knowing what is going to happen next, hopeful that once again a choice would present itself.

<em>Arrival.</em>

Her hopes were answered all too soon. The chains lay dormant again. Before her a shining blade stood embedded in the dirt. Once again a choice presented itself to her. Take the blade? Go back? Keep moving until another choice presented itself?

<em>Before you stands the means to sever lies from the truth.</em>

She chose to continue on the path laid before her and grasped the blade.

<em>Then let us end this charade.</em>