Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Servants in Black

^This. Even if he saves Sakura and Rin for real, and the facts were really serious, I don't think this fic would work as anything but a crack fic. Hell, this is the epitome of rule of Cool and rule of Funny.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Eveonder's Avatar
    No pressure, it's lovely.
    Fate is fickle and Irony is a driving force of the world.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    ^This. Even if he saves Sakura and Rin for real, and the facts were really serious, I don't think this fic would work as anything but a crack fic. Hell, this is the epitome of rule of Cool and rule of Funny.
    Still what makes this more cracky compared to other stories like crossovers and such? Why couldn't a serious fic be pulled out of a rather cracky premise, which only seems to stay sort of crackish only in the first picture. The second and third pictures in that little set are more serious for sure.

The second pic is anything but serious. It's not exactly silly humor, but it has shirou (literally) kicking Tokiomi's ass into the worm pit, saving Rin while making a funny face and saving Kariya with a face you would put when you bring a neglected kitty into your house. The third pic is a heartwarming pic. As I said, rule of cool and rule of funny.

Spoiler:
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Still what makes this more cracky compared to other stories like crossovers and such?
    Because people attempt to justify crossovers. In Type-Moon, we tend to do it via lolRinscreweduprecreatingtheSecond or something, because that's a plausible way to do it (if a little ... easy). It's also one of the reasons Zero No Tsukaima crosses are so numerous/popular - you've got a ready-made mechanism for the crossover. This could work as a serious fic, but I would expect the author to end up explaining why the summoning went wrong like it did fairly soon. Rule of Cool/Funny only take you so far without the context that they require. Like, someone turning up in Fuyuki and doing things you'd expect to find in TTGL or something (you know, creating giant robots out of sheer willpower without magic etc.) breaks suspension of disbelief very hard in a serious fic without a damn good way to explain it. Re-locate that to a crack fic or a super-robot show, where the audience expects this sort of thing, where Rule of Cool is more-or-less explicitly acknowledged (absolutely explicitly in TTGL, which is why I used it as an example), and it would suddenly be absolutely fine.

To summarise: without context or explanation, Rule of Cool/Funny only lets you stretch things further, not break them. With our current context and amount of explanation this definitely feels to me like breaking things. That might change in future chapters, depending on the author's handling of it.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Why?

It seems perfectly serious as a concept, at least. And, I see nothing wrong with the idea of Shirou saving Sakura or Rin.
    I don't see anything wrong with Rin/Sakura being saved either. But still, dragging both Shirou and Saber in the same summon? Sure, the Throne of Heroes thing can be bypassed with Saber making a pact with the World (or something like that), but to me it breaks SoD having Shirou along for the ride. Hence my labelling of 'crack'.

It's good crack though, and will likely be filled with Rule of Funny and Rule of Cool; the kind of crack-fic I like =D

I'd be willing to believe Saber, after being forced to destroy the Grail in the 4th war, gets summoned immediately into the beginning of another 4th war though.
    Even if he saves Sakura and Rin for real, and the facts were really serious, I don't think this fic would work as anything but a crack fic. Hell, this is the epitome of rule of Cool and rule of Funny.
    Basically, this.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The second pic is anything but serious. It's not exactly silly humor, but it has shirou (literally) kicking Tokiomi's ass into the worm pit, saving Rin while making a funny face and saving Kariya with a face you would put when you bring a neglected kitty into your house. The third pic is a heartwarming pic. As I said, rule of cool and rule of funny.
    I think the second pic is pretty heartwarming....

Blog Entries
    Lawl assumption that crack can't include heartwarming and serious moments.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I know, right? XP
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    ^this. The third is just heartwarming, the second is both heartwarming and funny.

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    I felt like someone should have said something more at the end of that last bit. It seems a bit lacking to not show what kids of initial reactions were aside from the bare minimum written. Still alright, but could have been more enjoyable if elaborated upon.

Well... we could always go with... heroic spirit EMIYA... his Noble Phantasms are Avalon and Servant Saber... and his catalyst is Avalon. And boom! There we go. (Of course, we'd have to assume, normally he's in Avalon... inside the throne of heroes eating rice with Saber...)

Or alternatively, we can have Shirou as Avalon and heroic spirit as Arturia. She hasn't died yet so by the time of her death, Shirou becomes part of Saber's Avalon and hence part of her summon...

The World Is My Stage dragon20990's Avatar
    Does it really matter? Really? I mean all these other fics can get away with SHirou summoning multiple sabers, or even 6 different servants. They don't explain themselves, it just goes with the flow.

Well, those fics are crack. You need an excuse if you're trying to disguise crack as gen. Err... I mean to write gen.

If it really is that important, you could say a higher power interfered with the summoning, you know, a deus ex machina kinda thing. The holy grail (avenger) could do it just to spite them and try to get rid of those who have destroyed the grail in other timelines. Or the greater grail brought them for some purpose. Heck, Alaya, Gaia, or even Zeltrech could be proper Deus ex Machina. Zeltrech was the one who technically created the servant system I believe.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors shiningphoenix's Avatar
    Zelretch: "This seems like it could be fun... Hey, Aoko! Could you help me with...?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    two drinks and an aphrodisiac away from assaulting an appropriately shaped piece of furniture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    "What does 'masturbate' mean? 'cause it's pretty obviously not a real word."

Do you know what's the problem? I can actually see that happening.

Spoiler:

But Deus ex Machina... especially with drunk or bored magicians tends to end up more cracked up... and then you'll never get close to a gen fic.

I don't know...most deus ex machina from Zeus when he's bored, drunk, or just horny seem to work as serious myths and legends. And if Zeltrech doesn't work, try something else in the Multiverse. Like I said, Avenger, the greater grail, gaia, and alaya make good candidates. Or try something original, I dunno.