Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Renegade

Blog Entries
    You'll see the Weasleys enough. They may be a bit different, however. The following has not passed the Alfheimwanderer Seal of Approval yet.

The Renegade

“Oh no, no, no, no, no…”

A litany of denials spilled from my lips as I wept softly, my hands stained red by the fluids dripping from the snake guts covering my hands. It was disgusting, as the pungent smell of fear and death wafted to my nostrils, and I wanted to deny that my friend was dead.

But I couldn't, because that was reality.

I couldn't - wouldn't - even clean my hands, if only by wiping them on my oversized jeans. There was no use, when that would just move the taint of guilt elsewhere. This...this wasn’t the first time that I had been disappointed, not even close. And wasn’t going to be the last; I knew this much even at that young age.

My tiny hands just clenched into fists, causing the gooey snake flesh to ooze out of my grip.

The misery, a purer, more refined version of the only emotion I knew at the age, tore at me, causing my mind to reel. My forehead throbbed with pain as the oily smell of hot asphalt entangled with the scents of slaughter, bringing the image of my friend being crushed, kicked, trampled, stepped on, beaten to death to my eyes - killed as I looked on powerlessly, a coward.

I felt dizzy, nauseous, with the whole world spinning too quickly for me to catch up.

I could hear the boys jeering at me, but their voices were distant - they didn't even seem entirely real - as they turned their backs and shuffled away, having lost interest after seeing me break down in tears.

I retched, feeling the burn of bile rising my throat. I tried to stop it, to push back this sense of disgust, but it was more than I could keep down.

I was overwhelmed.

Stomach acid burned my throat, though as a small mercy, I was at least able to hold in my humiliation until the moment they left, when the watery contents of my breakfast and lunch were expelled from my body in retching, heaving chunks.

Hot tears rolled down my cheeks, and I asked no one in particular, “Why…?”

“…Why whywhywhywhy?” I wondered.

Why had this senseless act of violence happened?

The Dursleys, being such a normal and upright family, had raised me to be a Christian like them. They had taught me to believe in a supreme power, an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being that governed the universe. It was something to thank for all our fortunes and blame for all our misfortunes.

...but could I even blame this on that deity?

“Why…?”

The skin of my knees hurt from the roughness of all the tiny pebbles that pushed against me. Under the scorching sun, the vital liquids of my first friend, that simple garden snake, dried up quickly. My mind felt broken, with a single unanswered question that tempted me.

Why? Why had this happened? My jaw twitched and flexed without my control. Why?

Why?

Everything began to hurt as the darkness closed in, yet my question went unanswered. I knelt in the heat for hours, weeping, raging until the sun set and the cold moon rose, but nothing came to me. Those few hours, so fleeting to most, were an eternity to me, lost as I was in my thoughts.

I don't know what I did. I don't know what was on my mind. I don't even know how I managed to walk home that day.

Blood, half-digested food, and a veritable mix of bodily liquids dripped from my lips. The sticky, mostly dried blood on my hands irritated my skin, but I did not wipe it off. I…

Disappointment descended. No answer came to me that day. No miraculous solution appeared before my eyes. What was I suffering for?

I didn’t know.

“Harry… Potter,” A shadowy figure drawled from the doorway, his piercing gaze causing me to fidget in my seat. “...the new celebrity of the castle. You are an interesting exception to the rules... aren’t you, Mister Potter?”

I'd been separated from the other students and brought to this... office of sorts... earlier by a stern-looking woman who looked old enough to be my grandmother. And here I'd waited, since she had told me to stay in this room until someone came to pick me up.

I didn't exactly mind, since it was a large (but then any room larger than a cubic meter was large to me) and interesting office, lined with bookshelves filled a neat assortment of thick files, an air of something malevolent and old lingering about, with a smell of exotic spices and old leather. The desk before me was too tall for me to stare over completely, and the comfortable, leather-padded chair I was sitting in was too tall for me to peer all the way around to see the man at the door.

Still, before this stranger arrived, I had been fidgeting in my seat.

Life had taught me to be afraid of being different from the crowd, but at the same time, I wanted to explore what this new world offered to me. And added to that...well, my body wasn't used to wearing something tailored for me - with blazer and trousers that fit my thin body just right, since I'd worn oversized hand-me-downs all my life.

I didn't know whether to straighten or to hunch over as the man approached me, his footsteps echoing sharply against the granite floor. He circled me like a vulture, glaring down a distinctively large nose as cold, dark eyes sized me up like a slab of meat at the butcher's. Or perhaps I should say like a crow? HIs features were rather hidden by his mop of long, black hair.

To this day, I have no idea whether I passed or failed, only that he seemed to have found what he was looking for as he nodded slowly and moved to sit across from me.

“It’s... a pity that circumstances forced you to stand out so early,” the man sighed, leaning forward to better look at me as I shrunk away instinctively. Something sinister lurked behind his gaze, reminding me of something I couldn't quite place, so that even with him sneering at me, I feared him. “It’s a pity, Mister Potter.”

What scant illumination came through the tinted windows of the office served only to lengthen the shadows, obscuring the features of my watcher. He seemed to realize this, and so snapped his fingers, causing all the candles that lined his walls to light up one after the other, from those closest to him moving to the farthest from him.

Despite myself, I was rather stunned. I mean, intellectually, I could tell this wasn't much different from flipping a switch, but he hadn't flipped a switch. He'd just snapped his fingers...

I suppose he must have expected me to say something, since his frown only deepened as he regarded my expression.

"Are you mute, Mister Potter?" he asked acerbically. "Or perhaps this castle's wards simply struck you dumb?"

“Y-yes sir...I mean, no sir!" I answered, startled by the sudden question.

“Clearly,” he replied, managing to pack more derision into that word than most managed in an hour of invective as he looked down at me with an odd half-lidded glaze, “You have your father’s wit, Mr. Potter. I cannot say that it is an honor to meet you, but I will deduce that we will meet many times in the years to come. I,” he said imperiously, standing up with a swirl of his cloak, “am Severus Snape-Prince, Professor of the Art of Alchemy. You will find that I have little patience for fools… and neither does this Academy. Now… the wand that you have, I need to see it.”

I must have scrunched my face expression, because this Professor’s attitude was obviously hostile. The wand was one of the few things I had left from my parents, so why would he want to see it?

Now, Mr. Potter,” Professor Snape added, his dark eyes focusing on me intently. “You will find that making me repeat myself will often result in... punishment.”

Something foreign prickled at my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. I didn't know what it was - only that I couldn't breathe. It was as if everything I feared and dreaded was lurking just beneath the surface of reality, that any movement I made, any word I said would cause them to emerge and swallow me up whole.

Except... except if I surrendered my wand.

As if moving by itself, my hand pulled my wand from its holster in the inner breast pocket of my jacket, laying it down on the desk before me, upon which the impending sense of death faded.

I blinked in surprise, barely keeping myself from collapsing in a heap as Professor Snape picked up my wand delicately, scrutinizing even detail of it.

After a moment of turning it around in his fingers, getting a good feel for it, he spoke up. But this time, his voice was almost...reverent.

“This... is of marvelous craftsmanship, Potter," he breathed, his words soft, almost kind in a way utterly unlike those of earlier. "This was made for you by your mother, then? I can see her work in the runes.”

“Yes, sir,” I nodded, though I hadn't known that my mother had made it, simply that it had been in my parents' locker when I was sent to claim their effects at the Clock Tower. By now, the foreign... stuff... that caressed my skin earlier was gone, and with its disappearance, I felt calm enough to ask the question on my mind. “Did… did you know my mother, sir?”

Without even glancing at me, he answered, “Yes, yes… we were close friends.”

He didn’t elaborate, but I could see from his expression that he was thinking of the past, of better times, his eyes glazing over as he looked into a scene out of memory and time.

Aunt Petunia often had that expression when she talked about her participation in sports before giving birth to Dudley. She would only talk about this with the neighborhood women when they had no other gossip to giggle over, though I would often overhear it as I sang in the choir.

Consciously, I don’t think I noticed any of this, but being curious and lacking answers, I followed up on my question with another, “Could you tell me about my mother, Professor?”

My voice snapped him back to the present and an unfriendly, stormy frown marred his features. Collecting himself, Snape sneered and handed me my wand.

“Perhaps another time, Mr. Potter," he said noncommittally, though I was pretty sure that meant "No." "For now, you are to join your schoolmates in the dormitories." He paused for a moment, before adding a parting remark. "I am certain they will be quite pleased to see you.”

His sarcasm was palpable...

…they were not pleased to see me.

In fact, my classmates from my year, or at least those who were sharing the dormitory with me, were all sprawled on their beds, groaning in agony. Of the two hundred or so students, or at least of the one hundred and fifty boys in my year, only twenty remained.

I knew this because we had to all share a room.

I tried to ask what was wrong, but no one answered; they were all in too much pain to do anything more than groan and lie there without moving a muscle.

I glanced at the only bed that was free, and as luck would have it, Amit occupied the bed next to mine.

'He looks...horrible...'

Blood trickled from his ears, his nose, the corner of his mouth...and I was pretty sure he was bleeding out of his eyes, but I couldn't tell, as the upper half of his face was covered by a thick layer of wrappings.

Still, Amit was in a better condition than perhaps half of our classmates.

I didn’t know what caused this, but I could guess it was something that I must have gone through already. Perhaps one of the books would clue me in on this…
    Last edited by deviatesfish; January 2nd, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hm - intriguing.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Probably just went through the meat grinder of circuit openings
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Only 20 left from 150.

That's a pretty high mortality rate.

Blog Entries
    Makes the prior war that much more terrifying, if you think about it - how many were killed, from such a small pool to begin with?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Well, now many children do you think can survive the feeling of hot pokers getting stuck in their spines, even if it's just a feeling? Not many have the pain threshold even if they do survive the other aspects. I mean really, many of them will be nothig more than mooks in Nasuverse, so this is something... expected, I guess? No one's a genius or has Avalon inside them, after all.

And now with Alf edits, on the first part at least.

That's the reason they do this when the children are like four years old, or even younger. Less traumatic, and less dangerous if we have to believe in Rin's words.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Blog Entries
    Ah, and you reach the crux of the matter.

These are all children who are born to non-magus families...

...Except for Harry.

Blog Entries
    To quote an oft-used line in the current volume of my own HP/Type-Moon series . . . Poor Hermione.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hermione reminds me of how we see Waver at the beginning of Fate/Zero. Only without any support or heritage to claim.

Blog Entries
    Ah. Then I'm doing something right.

You will probably pity Hermione or wish to help her as this continues.

Blog Entries
    Britpicks:

Couch normally = sofa. Occasionally settee.
    Sneakers normally = trainers
    queerest = just bloody overcompensating. Harry neither lives in the 1940s, nor is he exceedingly posh.

Also, did this part get changed around (probably direct speech to reported) at some point? Because you've got a stray comma and a present tense instead of a past:

I saw earlier, at least two hundred of us on this train. In fact, many of the compartments are full because of that
    Other than that, it's interesting enough so far. I'll be watching. While you sleep.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Kk I'll get on fixing them when I vote the opportunity! I'll be relying on you to see any other problems if you find them!

Blog Entries
    Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I'm at least looking forward to seeing more of this.

Poor, poor muggleborns.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Blog Entries
    More comments! Feed me!

Quite interesting. I look forward to seeing how you recreate an entire world, and than make a story to go along with it! This is going to be cool.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Eveonder's Avatar
    This was a real... WuT? Moment but I think I like this so much better than if you just jammed Nasuverse characters into the HP universe or vice versa.
    Fate is fickle and Irony is a driving force of the world.

Blog Entries
    Well, I jammed one world into the other.

J-J-Jam it in!

Actually constructive comment: Nice chapter. This is a very interesting read.