Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Renegade

Blog Entries

The Renegade

This is a Harry Potter cross over. With some help from our friend, Alfheimwanderer.

Contents
    Chapter One (Posted 12/31/2011)
    Chapter One A (Posted 1/1/2012)
    Chapter Two

The Renegade

“Is that a real snake?” One of the more curious boys asked aloud, his hand looming over me like the shadow of a giant. I panicked, trying to shrink away, as I’d long learned my lesson about these kinds of things...but as I’d already been cornered in a dead-end alley by boys several times my size, there was no possible escape.

Any hope of escape vanished entirely as a grubby, sweaty palm clasped around my forearm – my cousin, as I saw as I turned a fearful glance behind me.

To me he was a giant. At the time, his grasp was terrifying, able to grab my arm five times over, though whether this was a testament to his size or my lack thereof, I never understood.

As you know, I never had the most normal of childhoods.

“Hey, Polkins said he wanted a look.” My cousin’s inflated, red cheeks puffed as he spoke. It was a quirk of his as a child at the time. We were only six, so it was rather adorable to the adults, I believe.

I tried to squirm away, but having three of them in front of me and my cousin holding my arm did not make moving easy for me. Of course, I… Oh, I see what you’re doing. No. No, no, no, we’re going to take this slow and by the sequence that I want to tell it.

“N-no, wait, she’s just a garden snake,” I protested, saying exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time.

One of the other boys’ eyes lit up with delight.

“So Big D wasn’t lying! Well, I’ll be!” He laughed, reaching around to grab at her - my friend the snake -roughly.

When something that many times larger than you has you cornered and seems like it’s attacking you, you would do what? Run away, maybe? But what if you can’t run away? Do you just let yourself be taken?

No. That wasn’t the way of nature, I thought at the time.

I would soon learn how right I was, as my friend took a nice, meaty bite of the other boy’s forefinger. She even drew blood!

I was delighted, of course, but I couldn’t say that. It wasn’t the first time I’ve seen blood, but it was certainly rare that I saw blood that wasn’t my own.

“It bit me! That… that thing bit me!” the boy shrieked like a little girl, recoiling.

Of course it bit you, I wanted to shout.

At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to jerk away from my cousin’s grasp, to grab my friend from her tormenter and run far, far away. …alas, I was (and probably still am) a coward. I…hm, perhaps that’s not the right way to say it. Either way, I was shocked and unsure of what to do.

So…I froze.

But the boys? They didn’t freeze. They just reacted.

In boys of our age, if someone pushes you, you push back or else you’d be bullied for what seems forever to our limited understanding of time, and such was the cruelty of children, ignorant yet harsher than grown adults, that this group of children went beyond balancing the scales and all the way to cold, bloody revenge.

Dudley was their leader, even then. So he was the first to push me aside.

I felt my head hit—not quite smash but not quite tap—the brick wall behind me. My sight was already blurred because of the piece of shit glasses that I had worn for years, but now I couldn’t even stand straight. I could barely see what they were about to do and I could do nothing about it either. I slid and fell, leaning against the walls.

“You want to bite one of Big D’s boys, eh?” Big D sneered as he grabbed her by the head, just below the skull, as she wriggled and flailed about to no avail. He’d seen me handle her before – and this imitation proved to be enough to contain my friend.

I…I can still remember her pitiful cries for help.

They threw her against the ground, played with her like a whip, before finally stomping on her. Stomping… stomping… stomping… heh. It’s…

“Are you talking to yourself?” A voice spoke from the doorway with a tone of amused disbelief. I turned around to see a dark skinned lad, probably around my age, but rather shorter than I was, something I didn’t think was possible at the time. He stared at me with the queerest glance before shaking his head and saying, “Well, I’m a weirdo too, so why not?”

With that, he walked into my compartment and sat down.

Being the courteous gentleman that I was, I started the conversation with a, “So I’m Harry.”

“Huh,” the boy replied, before sitting down and pulling out a thin booklet and a pen. His thick eyebrows furrowed into a frown, but he wasn’t glaring at me anymore. Then he placed his pen behind his ear, hidden away by his curly hair, and nodded away reading his booklet. I couldn’t see what the title of it was, but it was something about making people and influencing friends or something like that.

For the next five uncomfortable minutes, neither of us spoke, though towards the end of that span of time, I had gotten an itch to say… well, something. Having had my manners literally beaten into me, I was put out that this boy wouldn’t say anything.

After he flipped through however many pages that he did, I asked, “So what’s your name?”

“Amit,” he replied in the same bored tone.

“So are you Indian?” I’ve heard of those Indian people from Uncle Vernon, you see – he called them Asian. What the bigot had to say about them wasn’t pretty, but really, if he disliked them, I was willing to bet they couldn’t be all that bad.

He finally looked up from his book, but I think I would have rather had him not do so upon seeing his expression. It was a simple one that asked, “Are you stupid?” without any effort on his part at all. And without any effort on his part, I felt rather humiliated…though I didn’t know why.

We stared at each other for what seemed to be several seconds, before he verbally echoed his unspoken question: “Are you stupid?”

I gaped slightly, appalled at the utter rudeness of the question, but answered quickly.

“I don’t…think so?”

“You…” he trailed off, as if staggered by the sheer volumes of what he perceived of stupidity rolling off of me. “You come to a place like this and you…you….I bet you haven’t even read your books yet!”

Silence hung in the air for a moment, with the two of us just staring at each other before I could work up some kind of response to this apparent non-sequitur.

“What does that have to do with anything?” I asked, being part curious and part indignant for myself. I knew when someone was insulting me and I actually haven’t touched my books yet, but I didn’t want to associate with someone with his attitude much longer. I might have been weak, little Harry back then, but here I could be something… more.

“What does that have to do with anything?” He repeated mockingly, actually setting his book down and opening our compartment door before turning back to me. He then asked, “Do you want me to ask everyone on the train your question or do you want to think about it for a second?”

I frowned at him, telling him I really didn’t know.

The look on his face made me only feel madder at the boy, beginning to understand what Dudley felt when his friend was bitten. But then, he began to speak.

“Harry, man,” he said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I noticed that he had a strange accent, like one of those men in the films that Dudley occasionally watched on the telly. “You are a boy coming to a strange place, a place that you could easily die and no one would know, and you are asking me why you aren’t trying to learn as much as you can? Really?”

He backed off and smirked at me, saying, “Your behavior amuses me. Continue.”

Before I could offer a rebuttal (that’s what I told myself later when I learned what a rebuttal was), a girl burst into the compartment. She had these ugly teeth that shone into my eyes (nearly blinding me) and a mop or a nest of curly brown hair.

“You two aren’t going to make fun of someone likes to study, will you?” she asked exasperatedly, the murderous look on her face belying that sweet tone of hers might have worked on me.

“I—”

“By all means, enter,” Amit said, cutting me off, as he stood up, took her hand, and kissed it. The girl seemed to be in the ‘boys are nasty’ phase’, because she pulled back and grimaced, though Amit was undeterred. “I won’t make fun of you, but I won’t make any promises about Harry here.”

He waved at me dismissively.

‘Yeah…thanks.’

She rolled her eyes, slamming the compartment door behind her and sitting down next to me. This puzzled me, and so I put my question into words, “Why’re you sitting next to me?”

Oh, now both of them are looking at me with that “Are you stupid?” look.

The girl ignored my question and said, “It looks we’re going to be most of our year.” She flipped her hair over her shoulder and made herself at home. She also pulled out a book, but unlike Amit’s booklet, this was one of our textbooks. I only recognized it because it was the only book that weighed like a brick.

Amit seemed to have settled down nicely too, but I was curious about what she said. I saw earlier, at least two hundred of us on this train. In fact, many of the compartments are full because of that. I asked, “Why do you say that?”

“Look Harry with-no-last-name,” She replied slowly, “How many of the upper years did you see when you came on to the train?”

I shrugged and tried, “…Fifty? Maybe less?”

“Thirty-eight,” she replied. “That’s about six students spread over every year above us. Why do you think that is when there are so many new students?”

“Maybe the school opened for more people?” I guessed.

She explained to me slowly and without the snarkiness that Amit had, “No, Harry. Think about the students in the upper years. What were they all doing when you saw them on the train?”

…Reading. They were all reading. I noted this to her.

“Well, at least you’re observant, if not a tad unmotivated,” She smiled at me, “I’m Hermione Granger; it is good to meet you, Mister Harry…”

“Harry Potter,” I replied, muttering under my breath, “and I do too have a last name.”

Hermione’s lips twitched slightly, as if she was trying to contain a smile. She then added, “You’d best read up what you can. The others are still children, and probably won’t be kept for much longer. Those twits…” I heard her add that last bit unnecessarily.

I blinked at her, but before I could ask anything, Amit interrupted and answered my question before I could voice it, “Harry, man, if you actually read the books, you’ll see that mystery is a huge part of our magic. Why do you think it’s all kept a secret? Did you even read the warning: ‘Anyone who reveals magic to the world will be punished on the pain of death’? You’ve got to have read that at least, right?”

“I… uh, Hagrid might have mentioned something about it,” I said. I vaguely remembered the huge man who could hold my torso in the palm of his hand, telling me something about doing magic in public… not that I knew any magic. I asked, “So do either of you know any spells yet?”

Oh, there it is again.

Why do they keep looking at me with that “Are you stupid?” look?

“Harry,” Amit placed his hand on my shoulder again. I had the oddest feeling he’s about to mock me again, but for the sake of sating my curiosity, I restrained myself from pushing the tiny Indian boy away. “Harry,” he said again. “None of us have even opened our Magic Circuits yet, let alone gotten a wand.”

“…Unless there’s something you would like to share,” Hermione added, a look of burning curiosity naked in her in her eyes. She had set her book down and was leaning closer to me than I should have felt was comfortable. I could feel her hot breath down my neck, causing the hairs on my back to rise.

There was a sense of earnest pursuit of knowledge, along with something more devious in both of them. I could plainly see that much, but at the same time they were friendly and shared what they knew to me. Perhaps I was caving into their peer pressure or perhaps I was feeling camaraderie.

“I guess there’s no harm in it…” I muttered and pulled out my wand. The stick looked like all the other wands in the shop, but this one had my name on it. In shining, golden letters engraved into the handle, it said:

Harry Potter

Forty-Five Circuits
    Fire and Wind

For the next time minutes, I bore Amit’s envious ranting and Hermione’s constant requests to play with my wand. I did not see it at first, but they were both fountains of knowledge if the right buttons were pushed. I learned many things that probably would have taken hours of reading to learn, but with these two around, my life would probably be easier.

First, I found that I had more than double what was considered normal. Supposedly, this was a good thing, but both of them were adamant on my not revealing this to any of our other prospective classmates. Apparently people formed groups to bully those who were different or better than them at the academics… imagine that. But Hagrid had told me something similar too, something along the lines of not revealing that I already had a wand to any of my classmates.

Before long, the compartment transformed into a miniature lecture hall, with both Amit and Hermione teaching me the basics of being a Magus. I honestly can’t remember what they told me, but it mustn’t have been too important to have been forgotten so easily. What I do remember however, was that this was the first time I had spoken so easily with someone my age.

The biggest bully of the neighborhood being my cousin did me no favors, especially since I was his favorite target.

It was… nice.

I could have stayed in this compartment forever. So this was what it was like to have people who care for you, if only a little…

It was nice, but time flies when you’re having fun. In this case, I have having so much fun that with a bat of an eye, it was time to get dressed into the school uniform and get ready to disembark.

I know what you’re thinking. You are probably thinking that magi all wear silly robes with silly pointed hats. It’s a good thing we weren’t. Our school uniform was the most dignified set of clothes I have worn my entire life. The custom-tailored button-up shirts with the silk suit made me feel awkward. It was awkward because I felt like I was worth something… wealthy even.

But of course, this hope for a better life was just the first step towards disappointment. At least I get to learn magecraft out of it.

I saw it, outside of our compartment window. I supposed I wasn’t the only one who gasped at the sight of the old castle. So this was Hogwarts. It was a far cry from what the classic castles of England looked like. In fact, it looked more like a mishmash of a medieval castle and a modern fortress, camouflaged to look like an enormous hill than anything else.

Hidden away in rocky cliffs and dense trees, even without magic it was well hidden. With magic, the multiple layers of Bounded Fields that I’m sure everyone on the train felt as we moved closer to our destination, no mundane would be able to find it. For a school for children without any heritage in this mysterious side of the world, it has far too many defenses.

“Harry, are you going to keep staring or start changing?” Amit asked in his usual deadpanned tone.

I nodded and smiled in that half-witted way that they seem to see me as and replied, “I’ll be done in a second. It does look like a beauty, you know?”

“You have years to admire it, but only a few more seconds before Hermione breaks down our door. Do hurry up.”

Amit didn’t even bother looking up as I began putting on my uniform.

Uncle Vernon loved the telly. You could usually tell by someone’s build that they loved to sit in front of the telly, but then there were the people who were just too big. By all rights, Uncle Vernon had easily spent half his life on the couch watching his programs.

He loved to watch action films on occasions. It’s those American films with the big explosions from the mythical land of Hollywood. On those occasions, I was usually sent to bed early, but the sound from the telly was loud enough that my ears felt numb from listening within my cupboard. I had yet to see our neighbors complain to my Aunt and Uncle directly, but I have heard them complaining. I often wondered how my relatives were able to sleep to those sounds, but later rationalized that Dudley was just too fat to hear anything. Still, it was loud enough that my entire body shook from the vibrations in building.

…this man before me? His voice is louder.

“YER A MAGUS, ‘ARRY!” The giant of a man boomed. He stood several times my height, like a large mountain in my path. When he patted me on the back, I almost felt over. He was wide too; I could fit two Dudleys in the same space that he stood in. Draped in that rain soaked leather coat and with his dark, shaggy mane in this dark, stormy night, I was almost too afraid he would eat me in a single bite.

I nodded at him, “…Yeah, I figured something was weird.”

“ERR…” The giant frowned, “WELL, THIS IS AWKWARD.”

I rubbed my ear, “Yeah, about that. Could you not yell so loud?”

“Yeh mean like this?” He asked, leaning close enough to bury me in his beard. It was still loud enough to shake my feet in these old sneakers that Dudley handed down to me, but I would have preferred this to him earlier. But then he said, “Ah canut ‘ear me self in this whisper, ‘Arry. Ah won’t know what ah’m sayin’ if I canut ‘ear me self. SO IT’S PROB’LY BEST AH TALK LIKE THIS.”

I shuffled my feet, somewhat numb from being shaken by his voice. He stood at the door, casting a long shadow that darkened the whole room. I was quite shaken by his sudden appearance so it was quite understandable that I wanted to just collapse. I surprised myself by asking him, “S-sir… who are you? And… what did you do to my relatives?”

“WHA…? OH, AYE, YEH PROB’LY DON’ EVEN REMEMBER ME! AH’M RUBEUS HAGRID, KEEPER O’ THE KEYS AN’ GROUNDSKEEPER O’ HOGWARDS. YEH KNOW, THE SCHOOL YEH’LL BE GOIN’ TA THIS COMIN’ YEAR.” He rumbled while scratching his head with a pink umbrella of all things. He took two steps in and the door shut itself behind him. He walked casually into the hut, passed the Dursleys, who were sitting together in a corner of the room. Somehow, they didn’t utter a sound and ignored Hagrid completely.

He walked up to Dudley and poked him in the ribs a few times.

There was no response, except for the few squeals of pain that Dudley automatically responded with. The massive man named Hagrid turned back to me and smiled in a way that wasn’t entirely friendly, “HYPNOSIS. YEH’LL LEARN IT IN YER FIRS’ YEAR. IT’S ONE O’ THE BASICS, YEH SEE? EVEN SOMEONE LIKE ME SELF CAN DO IT.”

He looked me up and down before wondering, “WHA’ DO THESE… DURSLEYS FEED YEH, ‘ARRY? YER BARELY SKIN ‘N BONES!” He then proceeded to make his point by pulling up my arm between his thumb and forefinger and then shaking my entire body with it.

“Just the same thing they eat,” I replied. This was true; while I ate their leftovers, it was still the same food they fed themselves. I only ate a tenth of what they did. But I would rather leave that part out right now, in case this man would get mad and do something more permanent to my relatives.

They might have been mean to me, but they were still family.

I can’t really say I was surprised that I was something… strange. Hagrid explained to me that we were something called ‘magus’ but somewhere into his explanation my ears became a little deaf or perhaps I just couldn’t understand his accent very well. I understood the basic gist of it, which was that I had heritage as part of a secret society that was around since the beginning of humanity. Just by belonging to this group, by accessing magecraft, I was better than 99 percent of the humans of the world.

It was nice, finally knowing what I could do. It was also nice to know that I was a good kind of freak. Perhaps I won’t go mad and lose sight of everything…
    Last edited by deviatesfish; January 1st, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Nitpick, Harry had actually read some of the books in canon just not all of them or everything in them.
    Aside from that i like this and Hagrid is actually kinda hilarious.
    One question though is this in the 90s or have you changed the timeline?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oooh - I like this kind of thing. Could be interesting . . . The "Fire and Lightning," however, has me a bit confused. Lightning isn't one of the five elements, is it (I thought it was Ether)? Or is it just a subspecialty in this case?
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Lightning is a sub-element of wind, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    This needs more work. I shall put more effort into it later. It'll be fun.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yay!

Blog Entries
    So many possibilities!

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Is this going to be a full crossover including characters, or a Harry Potter story using Nasu-verse mechanics? It would be neat to see Waver as a Professor. Also Nasu mages tend to be very 'pureblood agenda' types so if Voldemort exists it seems to me he would have strong public support, so it will be interesting to hear why Harry was orphaned.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Interesting. Is this going to be a full crossover including characters, or a Harry Potter story using Nasu-verse mechanics?
    Either would be interesting - and the latter would be neat, since I basically did the opposite with my own tale. I wouldn't even know where to begin going the other way, so it would be very educational for me. And fun!

Also Nasu mages tend to be very 'pureblood agenda' types so if Voldemort exists it seems to me he would have strong public support, so it will be interesting to hear why Harry was orphaned.
    Ouch, yes. Well, not that Voldemort didn't have strong support before . . . But still, if it's open support, then yes, it'd be an entirely different dynamic. Very troublesome.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I assume this setting will be using Nasuverse's single-heir rule?

Wait.... what. Komrade Kwestions's Avatar
    Fish and Alf? This'll be an interesting orphan to look at, and feel interested in and sorry for its imminent abandonment. Quasi-snide remarks aside, this is a nifty idea and I really approve of the detail on how the uniforms changed. Although I can't help but notice that Harry is more analytical than he was in canon (certainly at age 11).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois McMaster Bujold
    The rule for the plot of character driven stories is to ask: So what's the worst possible thing I can do to *this* guy?' And then do it.

Huh. I'll be watching this.

Do I detect a certain inspiration?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    If it's Fish, then it's a-okay.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    oh the possibilities!!!! and no ron, another plus lolz. so Hogwarts will be like the elementary, middle school and highschool division of the clocktower, which itself is like a university?

harry's wand is his mystic code right? i'm guessing the first test for the new student will be to 1st open their circuits, and then make their own mystic code.

when i read the fic, i got this weird vibe from harry. he seems a little crazy. maybe distorted enough to form his own reality marble?

are rin sakura and shirou gona make an appearance?

well, these are all my theories, happy new year BL!!!!

"Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest."

Blog Entries
    I hope this first bit didn't seem too crack filled. This is going to be basically a Harry Potter tale sent in Nasuverse, in a sense.

Well I (think I) said it before, in the crossover thread, but this idea interest me. Also yeah, Hagrid was hilarious. Keep the good job, Fish.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Blog Entries
    No comments on any of the grammar or spelling errors? I can't catch them all you know... :>

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm willing to give it a more thorough look, now that I"m at home, if you wish. ^^ I look forward to seeing more of your excellent work...and I'm pretty sure I sent you a revision.

Blog Entries
    I think you sent the wrong version, Alf! xD

Quote Originally Posted by core_88 View Post
    Nitpick, Harry had actually read some of the books in canon just not all of them or everything in them.
    Aside from that i like this and Hagrid is actually kinda hilarious.
    One question though is this in the 90s or have you changed the timeline?
    I see, well... you'll see reason why he didn't have time to read the books in later installments. Thanks for this feedback.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    No Ron....

Well, I suppose the Weasleys wouldn't survive very long in this world.

But... does that mean no Fred and George either?