Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2328313233343538 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV

Blog Entries
    I found zero malice on my first playthrough. Reading the whole debacle on reddit left me baffled as to how you could misinterpret the scene so wildly when Midgardsomr's words are crystal clear.

Four years since KotL going on five. Your misinterpretation is as baffling as it was back then. There was no fiasco, no failure of communication. Even if the text was vague enough to leave room for misinterpretation, it's still weird how you and all other people got so utterly confused about Midgardsomr preparing popcorn for himself to watch the WoL and judging whether the popcorn was worth it.

Blog Entries
    But there was no popcorn in the Japanese
    I don’t like surprise popcorn

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Lock View Post
    I found zero malice on my first playthrough. Reading the whole debacle on reddit left me baffled as to how you could misinterpret the scene so wildly when Midgardsomr's words are crystal clear.

Four years since KotL going on five. Your misinterpretation is as baffling as it was back then. There was no fiasco, no failure of communication. Even if the text was vague enough to leave room for misinterpretation, it's still weird how you and all other people got so utterly confused about Midgardsomr preparing popcorn for himself to watch the WoL and judging whether the popcorn was worth it.
    Do you really want me to dig up the old thread and compare what Midgardsormr says in English to what he says in Japanese? He's far more hostile in the former than he is in the latter. That is a mistake because he's supposed to come across as curious, not murderous. You can only stretch alternate character interpretations so far.

And FWIW, I didn't have that problem precisely because I could crosscheck what I heard him say to what the subtitles were saying and conclude what I was supposed to be taking out of that scene, which is exactly why I was advocating for JP audio earlier.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    I dug it up before posting, fwiw. Compared it several times and found JP script lacking. There's only one time where Midgardsomr has hostile intent towards the WoL, and that's when the Blessing is invoked.

If you argue that at that point JP Midgardsomr didn't try to harm the WoL, then well, you'd be implying that he is a fool who can't even restrain his roar.

After that point, you've got to twist his words pretty hard to find any murderous intent in his speech. Hostility towards Ishgard? In spades, in both versions. Towards the WoL? None. More sadistic, maybe.

In any case, Y'shtola, Alisaie and Kan-E-Senna sound too good with British accent to switch audio after 2.0 msq concludes.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Lock View Post
    Yeah well, I can't imagine not listening to English VA's post-Heavensward.

I love Nanjolno, Sawashiro and Suwabe, but English dub has way too much style.
    Post ARR yes, they were good, that is why Square hasn't changed them since the iirc.

Also you are forgetting Satou Rina (who also does Misaka Mikoto from Index) who does Yugiri.

Rikiya Koyama as Cid, Atsuko Tanaka as Merlwyb, Rie Tanaka as Kan-E Senna,Sayaka Ohara as Lucia, Maaya Uchida as Shiva/Ysayle, Mariya Ise as Tataru, Akio Őtsuka as Gaius van Balsar, Jouji Nakata as the Emperor, and lately Yuuma Uchida as the Exarch and Yoshino Nanjou as Lyna. The series is full of good voice actors in cameos/smaller supporting roles here and there. And then you have Nakamura in the main cast as Thancred (which I remain convinced is half the reason he was almost permanently absent from the MSQ prior to ShB). Sawashiro I wouldn't count anymore seeing as how Minfillia is now all but permanently written out, but she was certainly a strong factor in why I started out with JP voiceovers in the first place.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    I wish there was a way to change only dialog text/subtitles to JP while keeping menus in English since I can actually understand the Japanese now and would prefer the voices and unvoiced sections to match each other, but also I memorized all the items and game systems over a year of English play and fuck relearning all that am I right

US Friend Code
    ran into Saber tonight

There's probably a couple dozen running around in the game, at least. I even met a potato version once.

Had to borrow a friend's crappy laptop and stick FFXIV on it in order to keep my house standing, so while I was online already I figured I might as well also run the moonfire Faire event real quick. I really underestimated how difficult these jumping puzzles can get when your framerate dips and dives like Blizzard's stock price after E3...
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Wew nobody talk endwalker
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Good, I haven't played it yet. lol
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    It was very good, tied up a lot and the conclusion was satisfying. I particularly liked how it ended the bit with Hydaelyn.

No spoilers of course.

The game's still getting more expansions, right? It wasn't the final one or anything?
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Yeah, they mentioned before its not the final one, but the end of the current overarching arc.
    I guess Yoshi-P was right to comtinuously hammer home that its the end of the arc if there are people still somehow thinking the game is going EoS after this.

Oh, I still expect the game is gonna be mostly dead by the time XVI releases, even if it actually gets another expansion or two. Poor FFXI is technically still alive, but its last expansion (and closure of the console servers) was back in 2016.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

US Friend Code
    16 is coming out next year, and 14's playerbase just keeps growing. It's not dying out any time soon. That's why Yoshi-P has been talking about doing stuff like expanding data centers and updating the graphics, preparing for the game to stay relevant in years to come.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    glad they do. I'm still on 2.0 lmao just beat Lahabrea.

Tried it when they expand the free trial up to Heavensward, create character and play up to 30, only recently have willing to play through it
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    16 is coming out next year, and 14's playerbase just keeps growing. It's not dying out any time soon. That's why Yoshi-P has been talking about doing stuff like expanding data centers and updating the graphics, preparing for the game to stay relevant in years to come.
    I guess it depends on your definition of "alive" or "relevant". For a lot of people WoW is still alive, but it really hasn't been worth playing since... I'd say Cataclysm, but let's be nice and say Legion. It doesn't innovate, it doesn't create new content, it just drops a new helping of plot and tweaks gameplay just enough to give you something new to do (whether that's grinding legendaries there or leveling all your classes to a new cap here). In that respect, sure, FFXIV could easily go for another decade, half that before people start getting tired hearing about it (to be clear, I haven't, I just took an extended break for RL reasons and haven't had a chance to get back in). But there's gonna be newer and hotter MMOs on the block soon (if there aren't already), and it will be relegated to backup for new audiences. We're nine years in the game's life now, it is what it is.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Possibly, because that is how all games end up eventually. Doesn't even have to be about innovating, people just want that new fresh thing.
    But since XIV had its big uptick around Endwalker coming out and more people piling in, I'd say its nowhere near the hanging on life support bit yet.
    Although my opinion is people SHOULD play more things and even if a game is good, it shouldn't be all you play.

US Friend Code
    Yeah that's going to happen at some point, it does to all live service games, but I don't think XIV is anywhere near that point yet. The player boom right before Endwalker was the biggest growth the game has ever had, to the point they've had server problems trying to keep up with the player population. Some day in the future XIV will go the way of WoW, XI, and other MMOs before it and essentially just become a game played by a small core audience there for the nostalgia, but it won't be soon. Unless they really mess things up next expac or something.