Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 712151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon Series Disscusion Thread

US Friend Code
    Series ranking hot take.

Tamers > Data Squad > Adventure > 02 = Frontier > Tri > literal shit > Xros Wars

I haven’t watched Applimon so can’t comment on it. Adventure 2020 is good so far except for some animation issues (but it's not like the old shows were free of that either), but it's not enough to judge just yet.
    02 had a lot of writing problems in the second half so I can't rightly call it "good", but it’s definitely the one I have the most nostalgia for since it’s the only one I had VHS tapes of as a kid. I watched them on repeat religiously.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bruh, that Deluxe Edition of the Kizuna Blu-Rays have some awesome cover art.

Spoilers obviously
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I truly hate those digievos.

US Friend Code
    Yeah I agree with the writers wanting something new and not Omnimon for the nth time, but those are really ugly.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm alone in liking their designs...

----------------

Anyways, on a different note. I had an itch to watch some Tamers again but I knew I didn't have the time or patience to sit through the entire show once again but then I remembered that I have most of the Digimon movies on Blu-Ray so I booted up my TV and spent some time watching the Tamers movies. If you can even really call them "movies" really as both don't reach over an hour so they feel like extended episodes instead. And now I haz some thoughts...

Battle of the Adventurers: This is the very definition of a summer movie what with Takato and Jiàn going to Okinawa for summer vacation. However, I must retract my old assessment that Tamers was the only series without Agumon/Greymon/Omegamon pandering since this movie goes and starts with an Omegamon vs Apocalymon fight. Regardless the movie itself was pretty decent, the plot was very Tamers-esque what with revolving around the exploitation of artificial Digimon and the question of the nature of the soul. Labramon is my favourite Rookie Digimon so to see it here was pretty cool, even if I'm not a fan of its Evolution they gave it here which is Seasarmon. Probably the biggest downfall of this movie would be the climax, we go from a little girl who lost her dog and is now learning to bond with others again through Digimon to suddenly Mephistomon trying to end the world out of left field. The final battle wasn't much better - from what I remember this movie aired around the time the partners achieve Ultimate form for the first time in the show proper hence why they don't really do much aside from turning into a tri-colour beam to kill Mephistomon.

Runaway Digimon Express: Now this one definitely felt like it could've just been a regular episode given it's only 30 minutes long and has a pretty standard "Digimon of the Week" plot - not that I'm knocking it really, just an observation. If anything the lack of an extra 20 minutes that BotA had meant that the plot was a lot more focused with less milling about. Anyways, Ruki was definitely the star of this movie given how much focus was given to her relationships with her parents, her father in particular. There was also quite a bit of Takato/Ruki shipping in this one, which is a little weird in hindsight considering that Takato/Juri was retroactively made the canon ship. But back to the actual plot, the whole "chasing after the runaway Locomon stuck in the Human World" was serviceable even if both Locomon himself and the antagonist Parasimon were one-dimensional. The railway service trapping Locomon on Tokyo's Circle Line to avoid crashes was pretty cool to see non-Digimon using humans actually do something useful. Similarly to BotA, the climax is the weakest part with Dukemon randomly going Crimson Mode (without Grani no less) to wipe out the million Parasimon which was a bit Deus ex Machina-y for my tastes.

Overall, for (questionably canon) summer movies they were pretty alright. Nothing super special but not offensive either and I enjoyed watching them.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I think they are great design on their own, but I'm not gonna lie that I hoping something more traditional looking for them instead of adult tribal men.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I am actually re-watching Tamers right now. It's basically a blind watch since I only ever watched it on TV as a kid.

It's been great so far. These kids are the coolest kids ever, I cheer every time they CARD SLASH.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Kizuna digievos are cursed. They manage to look some bad gijinka fanart.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    I think they look cool. And I'll take anything over more fucking omnimon, geez.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I do wonder how does Kizuna Patamon will look like

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    not only it shows Patamon's bond with his tamer by looking more human like, it emulates Takeru's diaper hat too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I think they are great design on their own, but I'm not gonna lie that I hoping something more traditional looking for them instead of adult tribal men.
    Digimon does seem to have a strange obsession of late with buff men. Not that I'm complaining necessarily.

Blog Entries
    For those interested, Bandai have uploaded the card list for the newest Booster Pack for the rebooted Digimon TCG here.

I'm definitely liking this pack a lot, mostly for the increased inclusion of non-Adventure: themed cards like (Rina's) Veemon line, the Guilmon line, the Savers!Agumon line and so on. I also really like references to the other media being incorporated into game mechanics, such as Beelzebumon's ability allowing you to summon it directly from Impmon rather than going through the entire Evolution line in reference to Tamers.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Is Vobo(?)mon new? I think that's the coolest non-anime related digimon line I have seen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Is Vobo(?)mon new? I think that's the coolest non-anime related digimon line I have seen.
    Sorta new, Vorvomon was created for the (now discontinued) smartphone game Digimon Linkz back in 2016.

Big Pic

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    ohh. would be cool if they make it to Survive somehow.

US Friend Code
    Would be cool if we had any news on Survive at all honestly. Hopefully on Digimon Day.

Blog Entries
    Dubbed trailer for Kizuna.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar

Blog Entries
    Ye, I saw that too but I'm still extremely skeptical until we get some kind of official announcement.