Page 1 of 14 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Like Glass (HF True, AU)(Sakura, Rin)(One-shot)

Blog Entries

Like Glass (HF True, AU)(Sakura, Rin)(One-shot)

“Sakura?”

Senpai’s voice calls after her, hesitantly. Senpai’s voice calls after her softly, nervously.

Ah, she thinks, he needs reassurance, and turns to him. She folds her hands in front of her skirt. “Yes, Senpai?”

Senpai hesitates for a moment, scratching his cheek, then takes a deep breath and blurts out his thoughts, his golden eyes oddly bright, oddly desperate. “Are you happy?” he asks.

Sakura blinks.

Are you happy?

It is an odd question to ask. She is living with him now, has been for two years. Rider is still alive and her best friend, enjoying the mortal world. Taiga is the boundless ball of energy she has always been, and there is something comforting in the fact that she will probably never change.

Are you happy?

“Yes.” She smiles, because he needs to see it. “I’m happy, Senpai.”

She smiles so sweetly as she lies.

(Two years. It’s been two years, and she still calls him Senpai. Not Shirou. Never Shirou.)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Nee-san crumbles.

Nee-san crumbles, like a beautiful red flower wilting before it even reaches full bloom. She slumps against Sakura, releases her hold on her, and crumbles to the altar as her life bleeds out from the wound on her stomach. As her life bleeds red, dark red staining the corrupted ground of the altar.

As her life bleeds, red and warm, from the wound Sakura inflicted on her.

“Nee-san!”

Sakura falls with her, tries to gather Nee-san up, support her, get her standing again; but she’s too weak, she’s always been too weak, and all she can do is cradle Nee-san in her arms, cling to her like a child. “Nee-san,” she sobs. “Nee-san, don’t die, don’t leave me, please, please…”

Nee-san laughs. It is a small, weak, ragged sound overflowing with warmth. “Idiot,” she murmurs, and tilts her head slightly, dazed, dull light blue eyes meeting Sakura’s own red ones, a broken, frightened, tearful smile on her face. “I’ll be all right.”

She smiles so warmly as she lies.

Death is not quick. Death is slow, agonizing minutes of bleeding out, of muscles going limp and light draining from her eyes. Death leaves Nee-san’s body still warm but horribly still in Sakura’s arms, and she wails for a sister torn from her grasp right when she had her.

Senpai comes, but not even the man who once desired to save everyone can revive the dead. He comes to save Sakura, and is too late to save Nee-san.

Sakura never forgives him for it, not completely.

She never forgives herself, either.

“You aren’t happy.”

The voice doesn’t stir Senpai as he sleeps, one arm lazily sprawled across her stomach and his head against her shoulder. Sakura tilts her head slightly, looks up, and sees Nee-san leaning absently against the wall, one foot braced for support. She is eternally frozen at seventeen, blood staining her stomach, coating her sweater sleeves, dripping from her mouth.

Sakura doesn’t reply right away, not quickly enough for her companion’s liking, and the older girl scowls. “You lied,” she says.

“I do that sometimes,” Sakura replies mildly, and keeps her voice soft; unlike Nee-san, Senpai can hear her when she speaks.

“Why did you lie?”

Ah, she must be in a bad mood tonight. She isn’t usually this forceful.

“He needed to hear it.”

Nee-san has no response, simply gazes at her quietly. It is a half-hearted reason, a weak reason, a flawed reason, but Sakura had lived her life by such reasons before. She knows Senpai is just as haunted as she is; she knows that at night, he dreams of golden hair and gleaming green eyes.

Senpai has ghosts she can’t see.

Finally, Nee-san sighs; her shoulders slump. “That isn’t healthy, you know,” she mutters.

Sakura smiles.

It is not, in fact, a good smile.

“Nee-san, you died two years ago and yet I’m still talking to you. I don’t think I’m healthy in any sense of the word.”

She has no response to that, and the sun is beginning to rise; daylight is not Nee-san’s domain. “Sakura.”

“Hm?”

Absently, Nee-san brushes some blood from the corner of her mouth. “You need to forgive yourself.”

She disappears as the first rays of sunlight spill through the room and Senpai begins to stir, murmuring groggily and rubbing his eyes. Sakura gazes at the space where she used to be, and has no response to her statement.

Are you happy?

How many lives does it take to guarantee the happiness of one person? She wondered that, once. She wondered that, because so many people died for this to happen. For her to have Senpai, to live with him, to live with Rider. To be alive at all.

So many people died. She took so many lives.

And yet in the end, she’s the one still alive. She’s the one people look after, care for, comfort.

Are you happy?

It seems wrong, somehow. It’s messed up. People shouldn’t be doting over her. They shouldn’t be caring for her, comforting her, ensuring her life is warm and full of happiness.

So many people, dead because of her. The town was never quite the same, even two years after the tragedy.

Are you happy?

She got through it before by not thinking. If she didn’t think about it too hard, didn’t question it, didn’t ponder it, it wasn’t painful. She didn’t think of the lives lost, of the empty homes, of how warm and red Nee-san’s blood was on her hands. If she buried it and left it alone, it would never be a problem.

It worked. For awhile.

Are you happy?

And then it didn’t.

It didn’t, because she started seeing Nee-san, forever frozen at that moment when she died. She started seeing Nee-san when no one else could, speaking to her when no one else could hear her.

She never forgave Senpai.

She never forgave herself.

But even then, it was okay. It was okay, just a little shaky. Just a little shaky, until the day she’s on her hands and knees washing the dojo, and Nee-san is there tracing patterns along the wall, and in the silence she informs Sakura that Saber says hello.

And with those simple words, the façade shatters like glass.

Are you happy?

No.

No, she isn’t happy. She’s remorseful and angry and full of guilt, so much goddamn guilt, and enough self-loathing to drown in. But she isn’t happy.

And that’s just wrong, somehow.

So many lives lost to make sure she would live, would be happy, and she’s not.

It isn’t fair.

You aren’t happy, are you?

Nee-san stands against the wall, arms crossed loosely over her chest, and watches with mild interest as Sakura packs. “Traveling light?”

“I don’t need much.” Some clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, a snack and a bottle of water to keep her going until she gets to the next major city. It might take awhile, but she’ll manage. She carefully zips her suitcase, pleased when it holds.

A slender black eyebrow arches, and Nee-san follows her into the hallway as she grabs her coat. “Does Shirou know?”

Sakura ties back her hair with shaking fingers. “I wrote him a letter.”

It’s the coward’s way out, and she knows it. But he wouldn’t let her go; he wouldn’t understand. His happiness is as false as hers, a lie he keeps alive by clinging to her to bury memories of the noble woman he killed. If she leaves now, he’ll be hurt, but eventually he will heal.

He’ll force himself.

And maybe then, she can forgive him.

“And Rider?”

“My bond with her remains. She won’t disappear.”

Nee-san apparently runs out of things to argue about and follows Sakura back into the bedroom, leaving phantom blood drops in the hallway as she moves, little droplets of red that no one will notice. As Sakura grabs her suitcase, she speaks again. “Where do you plan to go?”

“Around.” Sakura leaves the bedroom, and doesn’t look back. “I’ll help people,” she says, and her voice trembles a little. “I won’t try to save anyone, I can’t do that, but if I can help someone, anyone at all even a little bit…”

Nee-san is silent, but Sakura feels a passing chill against her cheek, and smiles weakly. She heads for the door, opens it, and looks back.

Nee-san is standing there, in front of her. Nee-san is standing there as the woman she could have been, eyes gleaming, black hair long and flowing, and her gaze is warm and gentle.

Sakura opens her mouth as the tears fall, tries to speak, but her vocal cords won’t work, and even before she can say anything Nee-san is gone; simply disappeared, as if she never existed.

She closes her mouth, slowly. She smiles, wipes away her tears, and steps out the door.

She never looks back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't ask, because I don't even know.
    Last edited by RadiantBeam; January 30th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    Why...why am I crying...?
    *sniff*
    Beautifully written, Beamu.
    *sniff*
    You're awesome...
    *sniff*

Blog Entries
    Oh god. You really like torturing your characters, don't you Beam?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    Oh god. You really like torturing your characters, don't you Beam?
    The torture shows how much I like them.

Blog Entries
    I...I'm not sure what's exactly going on here. I think the "Nee-san" and "Senpai" and pronouns have me confused... ;A;
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    You are a twisted individual. And we love you for it.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut
    Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAIZA View Post
    That quote is made of awesome and win. And truth. So much truth.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ;_;

Blog Entries

I love you and your torturous ways so much, Beamu.

I really do.

Tragedy just... (sighs in slightly depressed appreciation).
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    I...I'm not sure what's exactly going on here. I think the "Nee-san" and "Senpai" and pronouns have me confused... ;A;
    [Rin's dead, Sakura is speaking to her ghost (Nee-san).] If she's speaking with Shirou, she uses Senpai. It can get confusing at first, but after you understand what's going on, it get's easier to see who's who.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    ;_;
    I know. It's sad. ;_;

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    ='(

This was quite profound. Thank you for writing this, Beam.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAIZA View Post
    I know. It's sad. ;_;
    This is the happy version. The original ended with Sakura committing suicide.

Blog Entries
    Hee hee hee. It's been awhile since I've seen straight up pain like this from you. It's oddly comforting. Familiar. ^_^

In any event, it's excellent as always. It's not as confusing as you seem to think; it very effectively gets across just how broken Sakura has become... not just the hallucinations, but the way she handles (or rather avoids handling) Shirou. This is a peek into a very much broken young lady, and both chilling and poignant. Well played.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    This is the happy version. The original ended with Sakura committing suicide.
    ;_;
    (It is well written, though, as Moczo says. I need to learn to write tragedy)

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    This is a really nice fic Beamu, it captures how broken Shirou and Sakura both are really well.

Good job.

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ...That was just....wow, Mozco said it best. It's straight-up pain, and it's refreshing. It hurts, and the end is like ripping off a band-aid or a cast, airing out the hurt in fresh air, and letting it heal naturally.

You captured that feeling of Sakur and Shirou in a downward holding pattern beautifully. With Rin gone, and Sakura unable to keep ahead of the guilt, the way it all crashes down....I love this piece. It feels real. Instead of the saccharine sweetness of HF True, Rin's death adds an element of tragedy that taints the victory. The loss can't be denied.

I'm glad you had Sakura leave to help others instead of committing suicide. I truly am. It feels like she's taking initiative, being proactive. Her committing suicide just feels so pathetic and angsty, while a Sakura overcoming that pain and angst to try and find something to do with herself? That gives a feeling of victory, of overcoming an obstacle.

Corrections....as amusing as the Batman reference is, it's really out of place. I'd find something better.

Fantastic work Beam. Even though it has Rin dead, I still really, really like what you've done with this. Rin's death had such wide effects, and your writing was so poignant that I just know that this story will stay with me a while.

I'm saving a copy of this on my hard drive, just so I can pull it out to read whenever I feel like it. That's how much I like this. Short, sweet, and superb.

Bah. I'm rambling. But I think you get the gist.
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Blog Entries
    *prefers this to actual HF True*
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    *prefers this to actual HF True*
    Mission accomplished!

;_; What? N-no, I'm just...

They won't stop flowing. It's all your fault, you idiot! Stupid, stupid Beamu... *sob* why do you do this to me...