Page 1036 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 36536936986102610311034103510361037103810411046108611361536 ... LastLast
Results 20,701 to 20,720 of 37817

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    The fact that Mahoyo was written in 1996.
    Okay, you're right. Still though, it was Nasu's freaking first ever written novel, so it must've undergone quite a few changes from initial draft to VN. Therefore, I still maintain the possibility of elements from Fate cross-contaminating and inspiring ones we see in Mahoyo, even if the concept of that series was originated first.

Also, I really find it unbelievably inspiring how Nasu managed to publish his first ever work after all this time. Even given extensive editing, that it stands at such a high level of quality really goes to show Nasu's worth as a writer...

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty clear that the worldbuilding was figured out long before the subsequent stories. Rakkyo was written only a couple years later, and Prototype doesn't actually come off mechanically different from FSN.

Blog Entries
    It's pretty clear that the worldbuilding was figured out long before the subsequent stories. Rakkyo was written only a couple years later, and Prototype doesn't actually come off mechanically different from FSN.
    You can't just abstract world-building away from the lore and thematic elements, though.

To some extent, Nasu may've decided that's the way curses work in his setting precisely because he wanted to use them for that kind of character...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Okay, you're right. Still though, it was Nasu's freaking first ever written novel, so it must've undergone quite a few changes from initial draft to VN. Therefore, I still maintain the possibility of elements from Fate cross-contaminating and inspiring ones we see in Mahoyo, even if the concept of that series was originated first.
    If you haven't read enough Nasu to say "ahh yes, so that explains why mechanics for the curse of restoration, akiha's shikigami curse, gae bolg, sita and rama's curse and a whole bunch of other curses in the Nasuverse are so similar," then you keep believing what you want to believe friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Shows just how much thought and research goes into the Servants we see, I suppose.

...Or at least it did back in ye olde days of Stay Night, I have no idea how much thought is put into the narrative themes behind Servants now that they're being practically shovelled out like candy in Grand Order. (Not to diss on the GO designs, and I'm far from one to criticize when it comes to shovelling out Servants like candy...)
    About the amount of work put into recent servants, from the latest interview, we know the 3 writers (Nasu, Higashide, Sakurai) make 1 servant each per month. Now, they definitely have other writing to do so they can't spend the entire month reading and researching, but it's not like they throw random ideas together and call it a servant.
    Shinjuku Kinokuniya is doing a special fair for TM books, related books, and books the writers and artists recommended, going on till the end of April IIRC. They had little cards with comments from the writers on how they use the book as reference, or how they just thought it was a good read and we should read it too. I thought it showed how much thought and effort they put in to designing characters.

Kinokuniya's Fate fair was really interesting and anyone who lives near enough should go once at least. I heard they added books for the Shinjuku chapter recently, I should go again.
    FGO Supports (Last Update: 2019-08 Anniversary)

Quotes

<dyingcomputer> canaki <dyingcomputer> is the embodiment of notes

Quote Originally Posted by canaki View Post
    I stick to my opinion of Shinjuku = Higashide, Agartha = Minase, Shimousa = Sakurai, Salem = Meteo

(Since I'm repeating this a lot)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    If you haven't read enough Nasu to say "ahh yes, so that explains why mechanics for the curse of restoration, akiha's shikigami curse, gae bolg, sita and rama's curse and a whole bunch of other curses in the Nasuverse are so similar," then you keep believing what you want to believe friend.
    I don't exactly appreciate the condescension on display here, for one thing. And you're looking at this too narrowly. Wouldn't you say that the idea of Gae Bolg fits with the fatalistic themes of Cu's legend (or at least, how Nasu chooses to interpret it), even if the larger world-building elements had been decided prior?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You can't just abstract world-building away from the lore and thematic elements, though.

To some extent, Nasu may've decided that's the way curses work in his setting precisely because he wanted to use them for that kind of character...
    Not to some extent, the world-building and mechanics in the Nasuverse and the themes are basically the exact same thing.
    Your statement was that the reversal of cause and effect effect from Gae Bolg was thematically driven.
    But that is wrong or rather not completely right, it was driven by world-building which happens to have this theme embedded inside of it as well. Or it was driven by these theme which has this world-building also embedded inside of it.
    Don't limit yourself.
    Last edited by You; March 26th, 2017 at 07:08 PM.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

JP Friend Code
    I think you should read the source material before you try writing meta and making fake-deep posts about stuff you haven't read.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canaki View Post
    About the amount of work put into recent servants, from the latest interview, we know the 3 writers (Nasu, Higashide, Sakurai) make 1 servant each per month. Now, they definitely have other writing to do so they can't spend the entire month reading and researching, but it's not like they throw random ideas together and call it a servant.
    Shinjuku Kinokuniya is doing a special fair for TM books, related books, and books the writers and artists recommended, going on till the end of April IIRC. They had little cards with comments from the writers on how they use the book as reference, or how they just thought it was a good read and we should read it too. I thought it showed how much thought and effort they put in to designing characters.

Kinokuniya's Fate fair was really interesting and anyone who lives near enough should go once at least. I heard they added books for the Shinjuku chapter recently, I should go again.
    Adding onto this, I believe GO Servants are actually on the large part very well written.
    It's mostly the designs that people cringe at.
    And Benkei.
    No one likes Benkei.
    Even after what he does in Babylon.

US Friend Code
    Adding onto this, I believe GO Servants are actually on the large part very well written.
    It's mostly the designs that people cringe at.
    And Benkei.
    No one likes Benkei.
    Even after what he does in Babylon.
    And Eric.

Even though I like him the only cool part is his axe. His design just screams basic barb.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Eric's only fault is his invisible wife being infinitely more interesting and his acceptance of that
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries

Avalon and UBW obviously were tied very directly to the themes expressed in FSN. But conceptual weapons and reality marbles already existed.

Part of the reason we get people so fascinated with the technical aspects is the fact that Nasu is actually extremely consistent with his world. You don't really see him make shit up on the spot, as much as is joked about it.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't exactly appreciate the condescension on display here, for one thing. And you're looking at this too narrowly. Wouldn't you say that the idea of Gae Bolg fits with the fatalistic themes of Cu's legend (or at least, how Nasu chooses to interpret it), even if the larger world-building elements had been decided prior?
    I'm apolgize if you felt that was condescending.
    At the same time, no one said that you were wrong about the theme. Seriously, read all the posts up to this one. I feel as though you took it upon yourself to read something atleast my posts that you thought said "he's saying Cu's theme doesn't fit with this spear effect."
    But you were wrong about the mahoyo thing. I'll tell you that now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    And Eric.

Even though I like him the only cool part is his axe. His design just screams basic barb.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanonRap View Post
    Eric's only fault is his invisible wife being infinitely more interesting and his acceptance of that
    I think of them as one and the same so he's interesting okay.

Blog Entries
    I'm apolgize if you felt that was condescending.
    At the same time, no one said that you were wrong about the theme. Seriously, read all the posts up to this one. I feel as though you took it upon yourself to read something atleast my posts that you thought said "he's saying Cu's theme doesn't fit with this spear effect."
    But you were wrong about the mahoyo thing. I'll tell you that now.
    Sorry. I guess as you're one for the forum's "elites", I instinctively read more condescension into your reply then was fairly warranted... And I admit to screwing up the dates regarding Mahoyo.

US Friend Code

Part of the reason we get people so fascinated with the technical aspects is the fact that Nasu is actually extremely consistent with his world. You don't really see him make shit up on the spot, as much as is joked about it.
    True, though he's still a procrastinating game otaku who's found of trolling, but thats just another reason why we love him.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AvengerEmiya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CanonRap View Post
    It would have been cool if Eric being a viking gave him a passive Berserk skill, and he could act normal outside of battle like Beowulf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaeus View Post
    Oh, fun! How often does a story actually leave the Idea Thread?
    Fate/Grand Order Doujins That Don't Suck [Updated: 3/2]

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dun't Solomon's Temple reveal he can? And he just doesn't because his wife gets insanely jealous easily?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I just wish we had more Norse heroes.

You know, at first I thought the original VN was like one of those "Fighting Fantasy" game books (anyone here played one of those?) and that any one of my choices might affect some hidden stat that would be relevant at some point in the adventure (like, I don't know, "combat training", "link with Servant", things like that). I was actually quite disappointed once I figured out the whole thing was a lot simpler, mechanically, and that I basically just had to worry about building affection points with the main female characters of each route.
    Yes, "F/SN" was the first VN I ever read, why do you ask?

Blog Entries
    And now you can play a digital version of Sorcery on your phone, what a world we live in.