Page 1474 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 4749741374142414641469147214731474147514761479148415241574 ... LastLast
Results 29,461 to 29,480 of 37820

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

US Friend Code
    Melty Blood Sion is a Dead Apostle. Fate-world Sion is not, though I think she still drinks blood for the heck of it?

Case Files vol 6 or 7, not precisely sure which
    Zepia is still a Dead Apostle in Fate worlds though he's not TATARI, as I understand it.

He's also still chilling at Atlas so.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Melty Blood Sion is a Dead Apostle. Fate-world Sion is not, though I think she still drinks blood for the heck of it?

Case Files vol 6 or 7, not precisely sure which
    Zepia is still a Dead Apostle in Fate worlds though he's not TATARI, as I understand it.
    So in Fate Sion is not a DA but drinks blood just because? And Zepia is a DA but not TATARI so that means is the DA that Shiki and Sion fight in Melty Blood manga?

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I thought she just drank synthetic blood, not real blood?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    She might I dont know

That third panel is pretty much what I imagined when I first read about Nobunaga's Noble Phantasm, it's so cool. Just an array of guns behind them like Gate of Babylon.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Define "human order".
    Alaya's willingness and potential to actively go to town. Maybe throne of heroes is 'further' if counterforce is being put to work less often, which makes summoning harder, and servants more of a blank slate. It wouldn't be weird if Alaya's 'power' was linked to the general resolve that humanity can unconsciously muster, but that's assuming things.

What's weird is that, from a writer's standpoint, excusing those two things existing together would be really easy, and the setting gets more kitchen sink with each entry, if you don't mind that it's all trying to ram an idea into Fate even if it would be better served in its own context. It's weird to rob yourself of something cool like that. So, I like to believe that those seemingly arbitrary reasons to separate the works do have a larger *thematic* reason behind them, like Tsukihime being an exploration of human flaws, where Fate's humanity is a bit of a mary sue, and what's presented as a flaw ends up being endearing anyway. Nasu gave a few examples before like the bit with Arcueid and Touko being troublesome to make coexist thematically, but that's still apparently something that you can work around. Maybe there are those larger reasons, and maybe stating those reasons and true defining lines of the setting alongside 'magecraft goes into the past, technology etc.' would be giving away too much, or would make the writer sound like an unsubtle smartass. Maybe.

Root [Term]
    Source: Tsukihime Dokuhon Plus Period (2004-10-22), p.179Tsukihime Dictionary
    A term that has nothing to do with the story of Tsukihime at all. For more information, please consult Kara no Kyoukai.
    Like that. You'd think it would be universally important.
    Last edited by Ratman; September 12th, 2019 at 07:03 AM.

An Arcanine would probably fit better with Waver than Vulpix. And I don't know about Mienfoo for Chen Gong.

Rematch

A Servant fighting against a still living version of a enemy they faced before. Now that's interesting and cool. I don't know what happened to the original artist though.

- - - Updated - - -

For more information, please consult Kara no Kyoukai.
    Oh, that happens to be the one I haven't watched or read.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    Oh, that happens to be the one I haven't watched or read.
    You're missing out fam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Alaya's willingness and potential to actively go to town. Maybe throne of heroes is 'further' if counterforce is being put to work less often, which makes summoning harder, and servants more of a blank slate. It wouldn't be weird if Alaya's 'power' was linked to the general resolve that humanity can unconsciously muster, but that's assuming things.

What's weird is that, from a writer's standpoint, excusing those two things existing together would be really easy, and the setting gets more kitchen sink with each entry, if you don't mind that it's all trying to ram an idea into Fate even if it would be better served in its own context. It's weird to rob yourself of something cool like that. So, I like to believe that those seemingly arbitrary reasons to separate the works do have a larger *thematic* reason behind them, like Tsukihime being an exploration of human flaws, where Fate's humanity is a bit of a mary sue, and what's presented as a flaw ends up being endearing anyway. Nasu gave a few examples before like the bit with Arcueid and Touko being troublesome to make coexist thematically, but that's still apparently something that you can work around. Maybe there are those larger reasons, and maybe stating those reasons and true defining lines of the setting alongside 'magecraft goes into the past, technology etc.' would be giving away too much, or would make the writer sound like an unsubtle smartass. Maybe.

Like that. You'd think it would be universally important.
    Nah it makes sense for the Root to be essentially meaningless for the characters of Tsukihime; they're not nerd mages and the closest people to that are crazy vampires.

Actually, DAs probably don't give a shit anymore about pursuing the Root, even the ones who turned through their own magic. Nrvnqsr only cares about eventually completely assimilating to the primordial chaos, Roa is very lol for what he wants, and Zepia was obsessed with coming disaster and tried to establish the Sixth.

Beyond thematic reasons why we'll never see Touko and Arcueid interact seriously, I thought it was also because it would derail any story featuring them because Touko would go full stalker and try to study Arcueid ASAP?

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Well, yeah. But it's also because Tsukihime is subtle at a look, but graphic and messy (not necessarily proufound, of course) at the meat of it. It's just that Tsuki characters don't look like much, like how Nero is just a public exhibitionist in a trenchcoat, but a lot is hidden within. They're all confused and messy people and at least split into two with inversion impulse, if not more segmented than that. Throughout the story, the characters learn to leave a part of them behind. Sometimes, like in Hisui's case, this part of them can be external, but at the end of it, you are left with a sense of dreadful yet calming certainty, plainness, and a pang of nostalgia over that which is forever lost.

Meanwhile, Fate is all colorful and loud, but all the characters are actually very plain on the inside, and governed by a central theme and immediately established ideological momentum. Their Origin, if you will. Sometimes the theme can be based in a paradox, like in Kotomine's case, but that won't make the character truly split on the inside. They are a someone to begin with, and though they may become someone a little different at the end, this process is transformative at most. It is a popular opinion that Fate is a coming-of-age story in which the protagonist decides who they are, but there is much nuance to that. Shirou's story is all about the different ways that he can cope with the one particular character trait he undeniably has in the first place.

In short, even though 'humanity is weak', Tsukihime is, ironically, about progression and moving on. Meanwhile, Fate is all about regression. Read Latent Heat of Sublimation to find out more about this topic

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Beyond thematic reasons why we'll never see Touko and Arcueid interact seriously, I thought it was also because it would derail any story featuring them because Touko would go full stalker and try to study Arcueid ASAP?
    The idea, I'm pretty sure, is that Arcueid's existence is something that Touko would quickly base her research around, and would be inevitably drawn to chasing with a bugcatcher, if not getting herself killed, at least not ending up practicing lame fake magecraft workarounds like puppetry. Lugh is kind of the same thing, actually, but I guess he wasn't good enough.

Blog Entries
    F/SN is nasu's most political work, where he uses the character of shirou to dialectically develop three possible pathways for moving beyond japan's legacy of militarism and the devastation of world war 2

- - - Updated - - -

did u think it a coincidence that the thematic core of his character - the very first thing you see from his perspective - is a city husked & obliterated by fire?

in a country that experienced some of the most destructive firebombing campaigns in history?
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    yeah but it doesn't addess the issue of immigration, so in the Citadelist view of things I'm still right

fate is about adorning the tower you've built around yourself to your liking, but tsukihime is a story of kicking out your mate so he doesn't break down the walls of your common home out of the death drive he represents, which makes you want to stare at the cold stars, but you can't do that with a roof over your head

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    So what would KnK represent beyond Ryougi's own arc? That conformity to normative institutions ultimately brings peace? That the collective needs the individual to fit in for it to work as the basis of a society?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    wanton sex is a sin
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    So what would KnK represent beyond Ryougi's own arc? That conformity to normative institutions ultimately brings peace?
    Sometimes I'm suspicious of agreeing with this, because it's so easy to pitch - so yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    And I don't know about Mienfoo for Chen Gong.
    Chen Gong's Pokemon all know Explosion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Sometimes I'm suspicious of agreeing with this, because it's so easy to pitch - so yes.
    Nasu lacks subtlety at times.

Blog Entries
    only if you're an ANN reviewer lol
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

You're right, when Kirei goes on and on about ethics and philosophy, or when Tohno spells out that Roa's obsession with Arcueid is rooted in love, those are masterpieces of subtlety.