Page 1534 of 1889 FirstFirst ... 53410341434148415241529153215331534153515361539154415841634 ... LastLast
Results 30,661 to 30,680 of 37765

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Which are not heroes in the traditional sense, eh. Therein aims the speculation as to a shift in the texture of worship and the reasons behind myth-formation.
    Last edited by Leftovers; June 5th, 2020 at 05:48 PM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the god of world-0 View Post
    Seriously, History is filled with so many awesome and/or interesting people (like Florence Nightingale, who's story is downright inspiring) that we would be losing much more than any supposed "integrity" that we would gain.
    What's the point of portraying "awesome and / or interesting people" if you're not going to explore what actually made them awesome and / or interesting?

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    On the specific topic of typography, the invention can be conceived of as a historical/conceptual landmark where the commodification of print rendered myth untenable as a function of civilisation, perhaps in conjunction with or as a factor in the turning of Nasuland's notional "Ages" into that of modern man. Considering the implication of Gilgamesh's status as the first hero deriving from his myth being the earliest heroic narrative with a possible special significance in that it was recorded and thus endured for millennia in human recollection, it is fair to speculate that there is some significance in the function of writing - consider that myth by definition is infinitely mutable and adaptable and defies objectivity such as that afforded by "official" and "definitive" records, while also being firmly rooted in oral tradition. Even though people were scratching myths on clay and papyrus even in the Age of Gods, the proliferation of objective records could have signified a pivotal moment in myth formation similar to the original post-19th century clause for Heroic Spirit candidates - possibly facilitating a shift in the function of myth and the nature of belief itself.

Rules set by the author, of all people, were what gave the concept of a "Heroic Spirit" meaningful distinction from "person/thing with a wikipedia page", and rendered a "Servant" something more than "a template to codify literally anything into the setting". And that's why they later were done away with.
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you did not mean to say Nightingale is just a " someone/thing with a Wikipedia article". I still don't see the benefit of limiting what you can do with the concept, especially if it costs a load of interesting characters and concepts. Like Voyager.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    What's the point of portraying "awesome and/or interesting people" if you're not going to explore what actually made them awesome and / or interesting?
    Isn't that a problem with the writing and not the concept? You are basically saying "I am okay historical servants, I just don't like these particular ones".

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you did not mean to say Nightingale is just a " someone/thing with a Wikipedia article". I still don't see the benefit of limiting what you can do with the concept, especially if it costs a load of interesting characters and concepts. Like Voyager.
    It prevents you from endlessly spewing trash left and right, which leads to neglected characters like Erik, or Eric, or whoever else.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Isn't that a problem with the writing and not the concept?
    Isn't that what I already said?

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    More seriously, I reiterate I wish Fate/whatever had never actually used historical figures instead of legendary ones - or rather, that it gave those a proper in-depth treatment.

I will give you the benefit of three choices:

1) Because it is not feeding the wikipedia page into a Servant generator and seeing the sword turn into a beam that is "interesting" and "cool", but seeing the "person" through the prism of what the setting's logic defines as a Heroic Spirit, interpreted in the setting's language - the formal constraints - of what a Servant is, and inserted into narratives where this synthesis can take on a life of its own in a new context both in relation to its source and as its own character.
    2) Because in a creative endeavour within an established setting innovation is majorly defined by one's interplay with the formal limits, but a breakdown in the formal limits depreciates the innovation in something created within or juxtaposed to no rules but those of its own making.
    3) Because if anything can be something, nothing means anything.

I pick all of the above and being unable to read the mood for 500

Blog Entries
    Sorry, arguments got crossed at some point. But, to Zork Night, it also sounds like your problem is with the execution and not the concept of Historical servants and if they, let's say, wrote the characters in a way that would be more of your liking, everything would be okay.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Fate / White Memoria

For the record (gottem) Voyager is a Cool and Good concept that can be reasonably interpreted as a
    bearer of
    testament to
    humanity's soul
    civilisation and the human species
    following the logic of the setting.

JP Friend Code
    He also kinda invalidates Zeus' and Goddess Rhongominyad's plans. We already did it ourselves, go do something actually productive you old farts.

Blog Entries
    I will give you the benefit of three choices:

1) Because it is not feeding the wikipedia page into a Servant generator and seeing the sword turn into a beam that is "interesting" and "cool", but seeing the "person" through the prism of what the setting's logic defines as a Heroic Spirit, interpreted in the setting's language - the formal constraints - of what a Servant is, and inserted into narratives where this synthesis can take on a life of its own in a new context both in relation to its source and as its own character.
    2) Because in a creative endeavour within an established setting innovation is majorly defined by one's interplay with the formal limits, but a breakdown in the formal limits depreciates the innovation in something created within or juxtaposed to no rules but those of its own making.
    3) Because if anything can be something, nothing means anything.
    Look, I am not saying "turn Elon Musk into a rider", I am just saying I can't see why someone with such an incredible and important story like Nightingale should not be elegible as a Servant.

Fate / White Memoria

Look, I am not saying "turn Elon Musk into a rider", I am just saying I can't see why someone with such an incredible and important story like Nightingale should not be elegible as a Servant.
    They're not that important. Or incredible.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    They're not that important. Or incredible.
    Elon Musk obviously not, not in a million years. But if you think Nightingale's work was not important, you need to apologize to every and all nurses.

Fate / White Memoria

JP Friend Code
    Because it's silly

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    He also kinda invalidates Zeus' and Goddess Rhongominyad's plans. We already did it ourselves, go do something actually productive you old farts.
    Zeus and Rhon's planned recordings would have been more in depth than Voyager's records though. Also Voyager would be erased if Goetia or the Alien God's plans succeed right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    It prevents you from endlessly spewing trash left and right, which leads to neglected characters like Erik, or Eric, or whoever else.
    I like how you think nasu cant neglect mythological characters either or relegate them to one note roles regardlses

Because a remarkable individual pursuing a selfless goal for the betterment of mankind is heroic in the contemporary sense, but not heroic in the sense that is firmly embedded in human consciousness and the one that the setting initially laid down. The quintessential hero is a figure that performs predominantly martial deeds and is considered, by virtue of being the protagonist of his own narrative, a unique existence whose deeds no one else could accomplish. By the same logic that mercifully keeps Simo from being a Servant, being a supernurse doesn't quite qualify.

The definition beyond that is open - or even more open if you think I'm making all of this up - to interpretation, as is consequently what one considers a "proper" Heroic Spirit. I think that, in addition to the former, a "paragon of mankind" and "tradition that safeguards the later generations" can only be a hero of major cultural significance or one whose myth contextualises and embodies fundamental human values in the hero's figure, and so I don't consider the Olympic boxing champion of 482BC or some 15th century condottiere Servant material. Generally it's easy to tell who isn't when you can't come up with two good NPs that aren't army summons for them. Better to come up with a weird interpretation of the Heroic Spirit rules than make something boring just to turn Some Guy into a Servant.
    Last edited by Leftovers; June 5th, 2020 at 06:48 PM.

Nasu definition of hero was already turning into a modern example in FSN, just look at herc.

herakles is indeed the last thing that comes to mind when one thinks of a hero with cultural significance, yes

JP Friend Code
    Because a remarkable individual pursuing a selfless goal for the betterment of mankind is heroic in the contemporary sense, but not heroic in the sense that is firmly embedded in human consciousness and the one that the setting initially laid down. The quintessential hero is a figure that performs predominantly martial deeds and is considered, by virtue of being the protagonist of his own narrative, a unique existence whose deeds no one else could accomplish. By the same logic that mercifully keeps Simo from being a Servant, being a supernurse doesn't quite qualify.

The definition beyond that is open - or even more open if you think I'm making all of this up - to interpretation, as is consequently what one considers a "proper" Heroic Spirit. I think that, in addition to the former, a "paragon of mankind" and "tradition that safeguards the later generations" can only be a hero of major cultural significance or one whose myth contextualises and embodies fundamental human values in the hero's figure, and so I don't consider the Olympic boxing champion of 482BC or some 15th century condottiere Servant material. Generally it's easy to tell who isn't when you can't come up with two good NPs that aren't army summons for them. Better to come up with a weird interpretation of the Heroic Spirit rules than make something boring just to turn Some Guy into a Servant.
    Something something historical isn't enough, you also gotta be cultural