Page 1535 of 1892 FirstFirst ... 53510351435148515251530153315341535153615371540154515851635 ... LastLast
Results 30,681 to 30,700 of 37839

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    Mythologization does still happen though. It's just that were was no major wars or periods of conflict comparable to those which contributed to the Matter of Britain or the Romance of Three Kingdoms, so it is usually politicians and entertainment figures who are subjected to it.
    Isn't it suspected the epic of gilgamesh was a propaganda work in someway?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the god of world-0 View Post
    I can't see why someone with such an incredible and important story like Nightingale should not be elegible as a Servant.
    In a relative sense, she does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Something something historical isn't enough, you also gotta be cultural
    More cultural then someone who's work permeates one of the most important factors in modern human life?

- - - Updated - - -

All this really makes me depressed. The fact that someone who was real and saved real lives is not as relevant as secondary characters in ancient made up stories

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Which are not heroes in the traditional sense, eh
    They are not warriors but that's because there are no major wars. There are modern heroic traditions of such kind in the areas of the world which do experience conflicts on the other hand. They are more grounded to what the ones of the past but it mostly comes down to cultural differences, which were already present in the past (compare to portrayl of combat in the Iliad and Mahabharata, for example).

I think that drawing a line arbitrary is a pretty much the only way to "solve" this issue.

I don't understand what issue you're referring to. Modernity sucks, there are no heroes left in man, and some 21st century uncontacted Amazonian tribe leader who has led over 300 raids into enemy territory leaves virtually no imprint on humanity's collective unconscious or, if you prefer, cultural memory.

I don't understand what issue you're referring to. Modernity sucks, there are no heroes left in man, and some 21st century uncontacted Amazonian tribe leader who has led over 300 raids into enemy territory leaves virtually no imprint on humanity's collective unconscious or, if you prefer, cultural memory.
    Nasu disagrees
    Last edited by Byegod; June 5th, 2020 at 07:36 PM.

I don't understand what issue you're referring to.
    Who is qualified to be a Heroic Spirit and who doesn't.

Modernity sucks, there are no heroes left in man, and some 21st century uncontacted Amazonian tribe leader who has led over 300 raids into enemy territory leaves virtually no imprint on humanity's collective unconscious or, if you prefer, cultural memory.
    I was thinking more about the likes of Simo Häyhä and 20th century dictators. Its hard to argue that they had attained legendary status in the respective cultures.
    Last edited by Blastedspider; June 5th, 2020 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox Spiral
    Receivers who can accept the Counter Force comprised of the whole of the dominant race's will, humans with special channels like that are few and far between. History calls them heroes and praises them.

But in modern times that title isn't being used. Civilisations progressed to the point where it has become quite simple for humanity to destroy itself. If some company's chairman invested all his money into expanding the amount of logging in the Amazon rainforest, the world could end in a year. See, the Earth is in danger wherever and whenever. There are countless numbers of people who are being incited by the Counter Force that save the planet without anyone knowing it. There is one hero per age. Such a thing as saving the world is no longer enough to get you called a hero.

jp
    抑止力という霊長全体の意志を受けとめられる受信者、そういった特殊なチャンネルを持つ人間というのは稀に 存在する。歴史は、これを英雄と呼んでもてはやすんだ。

だが近代になってこの呼び名は使われないな。文明が発達して、人間が自分達自身を滅ぼすなんて事は簡単にな ってしまった。どこぞの企業の会長が全財力を傾けてアマゾンの森林の伐採量を増やせば、一年後にも地球は終 わる。ほら、いつでもどこでも地球のピンチだろ? 抑止力に衝き動かされて誰も知らないうちに世界を救って いる、なんて輩やからはごまんといるんだ。英雄は一世代に一人だけ。世界を救う、なんて程度の事じゃあ現代 では英雄とは呼ばれない。
    This regarding what a hero is in the modern age and contemporary culture, notwithstanding any factors discussed in the previous posts.

Q: If there are Heroic Spirits like Archer, who was summoned independent of time axis, is it possible for warriors from the future, who are loaded with modern weapons, to be summoned as Servants?

A: Although modern weapons are powerful, it is difficult for the users of modern weapons to be classified as Heroic Spirits. The advantage of modern weapons is "anyone can use them as long as they were trained", thus it is difficult for the user to become a Heroic Spirit, whose definition is "the one and only". The users of modern weapons are faceless heroes. If there are indeed heroes who are loaded with modern weapons, the users will not become Heroic Spirits, as they are merely "experts anyone can achieve through sufficient training". The actual Heroic Spirits being worshiped will be the "greatest weapon of that era". However, for the weapon to become a Heroic Spirit in this case, it must harbour a soul.
    The usual quote for how gun does not a hero make.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But if you think Nightingale's work was not important, you need to apologize to every and all nurses.
    She was also a pioneer in statistical mathematics, fun fact.

Occasionally (incorrectly) credited with inventing the pie chart

- - - Updated - - -

Who is qualified to be a Heroic Spirit and who doesn't.
    Y'all gotta stop pretending it's nothing more than arbitrary decision making on the writers' part
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

I know but these are just in-universe explanations for arbitrarily drawn lines. Chanelling Mankind's will was not a thing for the mythological figures like Jason or Perseus (and nor did they save the world). On the other hand Simo was called The Magic Shooter, indicating that his skills with the rifle were seen as supernatural, while François Duvalier was considered to be a sorcerer and an incarnation of a deity.
    Last edited by Blastedspider; June 5th, 2020 at 09:16 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    More cultural then someone who's work permeates one of the most important factors in modern human life?

- - - Updated - - -

All this really makes me depressed. The fact that someone who was real and saved real lives is not as relevant as secondary characters in ancient made up stories
    You don't have to be a hero to be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Y'all gotta stop pretending it's nothing more than arbitrary decision making on the writers' part
    Exactly. I would just stick to "you have to have a legend" and "said legend have to endure for a century at minimum after your death" as that would be enough to disqualify most controversial ("too contemporary") figures.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I am not sure where that leaves Nightingale. "Barely qualifies", I guess? Its hard say if there are legends associated with her.
    Last edited by Blastedspider; June 5th, 2020 at 08:31 PM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Better to come up with a weird interpretation of the Heroic Spirit rules than make something boring just to turn Some Guy into a Servant.
    "Let me make a contract. I shall give you my life after my death. I would like the compensation now."

He weaves the words of contract.
    After that, he changed as though possessed by something and saved people who could not normally be saved.
    …Oh, so this must be how he became a "heroic spirit".

…Seeing it this way, it's nothing much.
    I bet the people he saved were not even in the hundreds.
    He cannot even be called a "hero" with such a number, nor would he be promoted to a "heroic spirit".
    But the number isn't important.
    The qualification of a hero, one who surpasses humans, is to be able to save those that are fated to die.

It is an alteration of fate.
    It does not matter if he does not have power as a hero, as long as he averted a disaster that could not be changed, however small in scope.
    No.
    The world would obtain a "heroic spirit" in compensation for the miracle.
    Seems to me this escape hatch was written to future proof.
    If you altered "fate" you are a hero, therefore a HS.
    And popularity/persistence in cultural consciousness determines your role as a HS be it inspirational speaker or janitor.

Heroes who achieved great things in life, and became objects of worship after death.
    As a “power that protects humanity,” they are high ranking existences, categorically closer to elementals than wraiths.
    However, whereas elementals are “power” given form using the container called human imagination, Heroic Spirits are woven from people’s ideals on the inside, too.
    Among the Heroic Spirits, there are those from legends, those that really existed, and those that were never observed at all. The ones who aren’t worshipped much fall under the broad classification of “Counter Guardian,” and are used as a mindless “Counter Force.”
    Of all the Heroic Spirits that appeared in the story, the only one functioning as a “Counter Guardian” was Archer.
    Because the other Heroic Spirits had high divinity, and were existences closer to the planet than humanity, they were able to avoid being drafted as Counter Guardians.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Well yeah, this is like the other side of the coin? While any man can, in a manner of speaking, save the world and get no recognition for the deed, becoming meguca allows you to do something that no one could possibly have done in the modern era - save the doomed, hence overturn fate, hence fulfill the condition of a hero being someone whose deeds are irreplicable, and so on - and you're automatically registered in the humanity-saving corps by default, where by having no recognition for your name in the form of worship/myth you're stuck being a lowly unpaid Counter Guardian.
    Last edited by Leftovers; June 5th, 2020 at 08:45 PM.

I take it Michelangelo didn't save anyone then.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Seems to me this escape hatch was written to future proof.
    If you altered "fate" you are a hero, therefore a HS.
    And popularity/persistence in cultural consciousness determines your role as a HS be it inspirational speaker or janitor.
    I've seen some speculations before that Nightingale being called "Angel of the Crimea" and being hailed as an actual angel by the news back then literally gave her a form of divinity, thus she is qualified in term of "worship and cultural significance" even if it's really minor compare to others.

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    You don't have to be a hero to be cool.
    Okay, yeah, I can agree with that. Thank you.

I guess I will sit out of the discussion from now on, this is turning into a personal matter where it shouldn't be.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

Banned
    Blog Entries
    as that would be enough to disqualify most controversial ("too contemporary") figures.
    So you essentially said this:

But in a not funny way. Beast Reinhard, though. Also, the fact that some Servants can be from the future (EMIYA) debunks your entire rule, though.