Page 1646 of 1893 FirstFirst ... 64611461546159616361641164416451646164716481651165616961746 ... LastLast
Results 32,901 to 32,920 of 37844

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Yeah, this. Absolutely, the Origin is basically Nasu's take on the alaya-vijnana of Yogacara Buddhism or the vijnana/consciousness more generally, [...]
    Oh, interesting to know! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Digitisation of the soul isn't the exact same thing as materialisation in the Heaven's Feel sense, but transmuting your soul into spirit particles to act independently of your body and interact with the Reality Marble of the Moon Cell is close enough as far as wizards are concerned. Specifically the "soul operates outside the body" part.
    I guess? Iunno it still feels really weird to me as it feels like the immortality part is what one wants, also since hackers exist in FGO wouldnt it be crackled there but as far as i can recall they dont make a big deal out of it?

again dont wanna come off as bad faith....
    Last edited by Byegod; November 15th, 2021 at 09:04 AM.

Could be wrong here but if memory serves, what FGO sends to singularities isn't a person's soul so much as their consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Could be wrong here but if memory serves, what FGO sends to singularities isn't a person's soul so much as their consciousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Alley Alliance Nightmare manga glossary
    A person is transformed into a pseudo-spiritron form (their soul is quantified as data)[...]
    Though technically they don't send anything away per se, they create a numerical formula and then project that elsewhere and observe it, it's just close enough to the real thing that not even the world can tell the difference (which is also why when they get in the rayshift coffin there's a sort of quantum "there and not there" state in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    There's also earlier context that origins can be used to denote alignments. Since the first part isn't saying his Origin became sword, and along with other info given that suggests any changes with Shirou to be about his magecraft/circuits, I really can't see all this to be suggesting Avalon changed his Origin and alignment, instead of only changing the alignment, the latter of which we are told flatout is possible with Sakura. Feels a little like forcing a conclusion to me.
    I mean, it says Shirou's affinity is sword because his Origin is Sword, but Complete Materials states that Avalon changed his affinity and circuitry to Sword. If both statements are true, that could only mean Avalon changed his Origin, and then affinity. Of course, one could retcon the other, in which case that's out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Oh, I remember talking about that with a friend. Apparently, reincarnation doesn't exist in the Nasuverse;* creatures with the same Origin aren't reincarnations of each other, they just share a common point of origin. So it's less Lio remembering a previous life and more him sharing the life of another being who had the same Origin.

* Except for Roa, and even in his case, it's not exactly what we'd call reincarnation: his personality, his memories, everything that makes up the being known as "Roa" is beamed - except for his soul.
    That being said, Nasu has already built his system on both Platonic ideas about forms and concepts and Buddhist ideas on reincarnation and the self, two systems that in their entirety contradict each other in many important ways.
    Actually the way the soul is described and utilized by Nasu is more lean to the Taoism side than Buddhism. Since both have reincarnation concepts, it is easy to confuse these 2 types. The soul is a side factor in Buddhism, while it is considered nigh indestructible in Taoism (kinda similar to Hinduism). Reincarnation in Buddhism disregards any of the person's previous traits and only based on two things: vijnana and karma. Meanwhile reincarnation in Taoism is focused on the moving and transforming of the soul from one's life to another's. The person can look different, can have completely different personalities in Taoism, but the "root" is the same soul, hence Nezha can have Asura-like mode with 3 heads and 6 arms because he was a literal Asura in his past life. Since the Root is based on the Taiji of Taoism, all things originates from it and eventually return to it at the end, going from formless to having a form and then return to being formless, the important aspect is not the appearance (the form, the vessel, the container) but what is contained inside it (the soul, the contained).

There are several other things that is inspired by the idealogy of Taoism combined with Buddhism that Nasu utilizes i.e the Counter Force only needing the bare minimum force to deal with threats is very similar to the wu wei concept...etc...and this soul and reincarnation business is no difference. It has a bit of this and that.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; November 15th, 2021 at 10:03 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I guess? Iunno it still feels really weird to me as it feels like the immortality part is what one wants, also since hackers exist in FGO wouldnt it be crackled there but as far as i can recall they dont make a big deal out of it?

again dont wanna come off as bad faith....
    The 3rd got cracked in Extraverse mostly because of the existence of Moon Cell. It already did most of the heavy lifting. FGO is yet to have such cheat code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    Actually the way the soul is described and utilized by Nasu is more lean to the Taoism side than Buddhism. Since both have reincarnation concepts, it is easy to confuse these 2 types. The soul is a side factor in Buddhism, while it is considered nigh indestructible in Taoism (kinda similar to Hinduism). Reincarnation in Buddhism disregards any of the person's previous traits and only based on two things: vijnana and karma. Meanwhile reincarnation in Taoism is focused on the moving and transforming of the soul from one's life to another's. The person can look different, can have completely different personalities in Taoism, but the "root" is the same soul, hence Nezha can have Asura-like mode with 3 heads and 6 arms because he was a literal Asura in his past life. Since the Root is based on the Taiji of Taoism, all things originates from it and eventually return to it at the end, going from formless to having a form and then return to being formless, the important aspect is not the appearance (the form, the vessel, the container) but what is contained inside it (the soul, the contained).

There are several other things that is inspired by the idealogy of Taoism combined with Buddhism that Nasu utilizes i.e the Counter Force only needing the bare minimum force to deal with threats is very similar to the wu wei concept...etc...and this soul and reincarnation business is no difference. It has a bit of this and that.
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks Lily.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

So, when your soul goes back to the root and recycled into a new one, can the Origin change? From X to Y or from Swords to Consumption just to give some words.

Does the soul get simplified into a Origin of Swords that will leave the root as a Origin of swords, or does it get simplified into "One unit of Origin energy" which gets recycled into a different Origin of Consumption?
    Last edited by madarra; November 15th, 2021 at 10:33 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, wasn't Lio's Origin throughout all of his lives Consumption or something?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean, it says Shirou's affinity is sword because his Origin is Sword, but Complete Materials states that Avalon changed his affinity and circuitry to Sword. If both statements are true, that could only mean Avalon changed his Origin, and then affinity. Of course, one could retcon the other, in which case that's out the window.
    I was questioning the first part since it's not mentioned in other translations, and after asking someone, they don't seem to think one is affecting the other like the other TLs. Don't see the sudden retcon stuff or whatever when we've seen affinities change in others but not Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Well, wasn't Lio's Origin throughout all of his lives Consumption or something?
    The statement in the KnK movie subs was that he was a carnivore in ALL his past lives.
    Last edited by madarra; November 15th, 2021 at 10:55 AM.

The 3rd got cracked in Extraverse mostly because of the existence of Moon Cell. It already did most of the heavy lifting. FGO is yet to have such cheat code.
    So what is the third then? im asking because im legit kinda confused, since a lot of the effects seemed to just be natural consequences of soul materialization, yet I cant see how there honest comparable in extra vs SN

like TO ME it feels like there taking apples for oranges, wouldnt it just be a partial use at best since servant summoning is considered to be a shard of the third, Like anyone else get this? plus it feels like its never come up anywhere else.

Also, I find it interesting that you view the Root as the Taiji because for me, it always felt more like the Platonic Realm, since it is the source of all forms, and all concepts and objects fundamentally descend from the Root and each other in a very hierarchical fashion, and one can recognize what something is through a process akin to anamnesis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by madarra View Post
    The statement in the KnK movie subs was that he was a carnivore in ALL his past lives.
    And all of those carnivores were linked by the Origin of Devour.

Blog Entries
    Achktually the root is closer to Brahman
    Achktually the root is closer to Ein Sof
    etc

Something something omnipotent paradox something

One observation, at least to me I think you can tell when nasu went full on with the mecha greek stuff, its i think after the design/lore stage of apoc and probably around CCC because of the greek designs beforehand.

And like how adding mecha stuff to achilles REALLY clashes
    Last edited by Byegod; November 15th, 2021 at 01:33 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Also, I find it interesting that you view the Root as the Taiji because for me, it always felt more like the Platonic Realm, since it is the source of all forms, and all concepts and objects fundamentally descend from the Root and each other in a very hierarchical fashion, and one can recognize what something is through a process akin to anamnesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamera View Post
    Achktually the root is closer to Brahman
    Achktually the root is closer to Ein Sof
    etc
    Not when Nasu made a connection to it like this, to me at least:
    Quote Originally Posted by Void Shiki profile FGO mats
    Connection to the Root: A

All existence originates from 「 」 and follows 「 」.
    Separating the Ryougi, rotating the four phenomena, and assembling the eight trigrams. Revealing the truth of the world. The Ryougi is the yin-yang of the taijitu. Her name comes from the "shiki" of suushiki and the "shiki" of shikigami. In other words, the mark of an all-powerful wish machine. For those who possess this skill, regular parameters become meaningless.
    Obviously the idea of some metaphysical concept/being/plane that exist before everything isn't exclusive to Eastern philosophy, and a lot of similarities can be seen. My point is not arguing that it has to be 100% the Taiji (it isn't, there are aspects of it that does not fit with it entirely), but it seems to be the closest connection that Nasu used to justify Ryougi being a vessel of it, especially when the ones planning for her to be its vessel named her Ryougi - coming from that quote about rotating the Ryougi, the summary of Taoism's main idealogy. Therefore I view it as something closer to the Taiji than the others. It can just be all of the ideas about an extreme concept that exists before and above all things from all different religions.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; November 16th, 2021 at 01:08 AM.

True, though I wonder how much Nasu and his research team even know about Platonism. I mean, they clearly know a fair bit about Western occult practices and movements what with the Trismegistus reference and a lot of the stuff in Case Files, but Platonism as a whole doesn't seem to get much direct reference.

Blog Entries
    Shiki's connection to the Root is just one Particular of which the Root is the Universal of. The root has different names to different cultures, and it is clear that Nasu meant it as the catch all-term for the various theosophical gnosis. I don't see why it should be closer to any particular religion's conception of it.

Blog Entries
    most discussions of「 」in TM operate at such a high level of abstraction you can make any connection you want, and probably the reason for this is that if 「 」owes anything to anything it is 19th century theosophical fanfic mashups of Za Wizdom off za Oliento as purveyed by Blavatsky et al., filtered through multiple layers of popularisers, fantasy writers, and RPG rulebook authors. use of the term 'akashic records' suggests this heritage. it is correct to say that discussions of「 」in knk lean more in a taoist direction than elsewhere. elsewhere they tend not to have much direction at all
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty