Page 1639 of 1892 FirstFirst ... 63911391539158916291634163716381639164016411644164916891739 ... LastLast
Results 32,761 to 32,780 of 37838

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Hmmm, while I agree breaking suspension of disbelief pointlessly is dumb, don’t many authors actually go out of their way to write the narrative without relying on language that comes from the modern day? Like Tolkien. Frodo would never say “bite the bullet.”
    It's funny you'd mention that because I felt an urge to go on a tangent in the middle of that post and talk about how Tolkien was a pioneering exception in this regard. As someone who wrote Fantasy with a background in linguistics and personal fascination with mythological poetry he tackled the task of writing a fantasy world much differently from almost everyone who has ever done it after him.

That'll teach me to not go on tangents. Touché

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    the word 'circuit' is much older than electronics. the latin circuitus was used in a medical context - specifically in relation to the circulation of blood - in William Harvey's De Motu Cordis (1628). there is no problem in assuming that magi as early as the baroque period, taking the nerves or vascular system of the body as an analogue, might have referred to 'magic circuits'.
    This is the closest thing to the truth, by the way. From inception, magic circuits have been depicted as a second, immaterial circulatory (and nervous) system within the body. Processing and circulating an essential energy drawn both from the environment and from the self to perform bodily functions does not point to a computer first and foremost, does it? If that was the primary metaphor, it wouldn't have taken until Case Files for some genius to turn them into actual computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    He's already poisoned the well, so to speak.

Every byegod post is one step away from another bad faith 'thought'.
    Less bad faith and more shit at commmunicating, and ill be more blunt about this, I dont give a fuck what you think and you think the same about me and also

If you believe thinking about these things is pointless, then why are you in this thread

And creating in-universe justifications is interesting, it can create nuance or give a interesting spin on a idea.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    This is the closest thing to the truth, by the way. From inception, magic circuits have been depicted as a second, immaterial circulatory (and nervous) system within the body. Processing and circulating an essential energy drawn both from the environment and from the self to perform bodily functions does not point to a computer first and foremost, does it? If that was the primary metaphor, it wouldn't have taken until Case Files for some genius to turn them into actual computers.
    I guess this is as good a time as any to remind people that Magical Circuits take the verb 回す, "to turn", or perhaps one could think of it as "to circulate".

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Less bad faith and more shit at commmunicating, and ill be more blunt about this, I dont give a fuck what you think and you think the same about me and also

If you believe thinking about these things is pointless, then why are you in this thread

And creating in-universe justifications is interesting, it can create nuance or give a interesting spin on a idea.
    Can you read my post more closely before you respond to me?

I just said I don't find it pointless to create in-universe justifications. I even did so in my post. I know it was a bit long, but please pay attention.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    It's funny you'd mention that because I felt an urge to go on a tangent in the middle of that post and talk about how Tolkien was a pioneering exception in this regard. As someone who wrote Fantasy with a background in linguistics and personal fascination with mythological poetry he tackled the task of writing a fantasy world much differently from almost everyone who has ever done it after him.

That'll teach me to not go on tangents. Touché
    There is some wiggle room. There are some phrases that are so ingrained in our culture that we don’t even remember the original reason for them. Like the phrase “it’s raining cats and dogs outside.” Those don’t necessarily call upon our modern sensibilities because their meaning is so apparent.

But take something else, like “hits like a freight train” and suddenly the intrusion of the modern is much more pronounced and something that could be written around. The mere existence of the train is required to understand the concept.

I did not know that Tolkien is a pioneer in this regard, but it makes sense. However, I can’t help but think of other fantasy authors who’ve tried to follow in his footsteps, often inventing their own fictional analogies to try and replace the real ones to boot. Perhaps what I’ve read is just an exception though.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

But one of the reasons I brought it up is that they lireally look like circuits, as in computer ciruitry and every other user has the same look

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries

What is your problem? You get a public warning. Turn down the hostility.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Like blood vessels? I always imagined them as nerves, but blood vessels explain how they replenish mana.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this is allowed, but this is the post where they explain their circumstances.

https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...=1#post3144553

If not, then I'll delete it.
    Last edited by OnesFleetingGlory; November 12th, 2021 at 08:00 AM.

I guess this is as good a time as any to remind people that Magical Circuits take the verb 回す, "to turn", or perhaps one could think of it as "to circulate".
    Won't lie, I am convinced the actual spinning part and how it starts making sound when it gets overworked is Nasu listening to his computer fan work overtime while the CPU chokes and thinking it's a cool effect to apply to them, but that in itself doesn't indicate a computer circuitry equivalence.

More that I literally said it feels weird to me, then i get told i shouldnt think about things from this perspective then im told i just debate in bad faith when I've explained why I am not good at communicating before.

I literally said to them why are they in this thread if they dont care for these type of justifications.

And on what you said fleetingg, i was more thinking say the 4 humours could be a older way, or the many other systems that exist in occult to classify the body.

and again THEY LITERALLY LOOK LIKE CIRCUITS
    Last edited by Byegod; November 12th, 2021 at 07:58 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    My first association always WAS with computer circuits but I thought it was meant to represent Shirou being a hollow man, a justice robot, a machine following an algorithm.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think you guys are a going a bit too hard on Byegod.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I don’t have a problem with him questioning any of it, or someone else saying that’s pointless. That’s just a discussion and both sides are entitled to their opinion and exchange on it. Just keep it civil.

Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    Like blood vessels? I always imagined them as nerves, but blood vessels explain how they replenish mana.
    Sort of, yes. When it comes to magical energy they behave as a circulatory system, but Nasu prefers to call them pseudo-nerves, which I suppose makes sense on the level of spell casting?

Visuals are just visuals though. For every time you see straight glowing lines and think computer circuits there's a full depiction of a magic circuit in Illya or Justeaze that is clearly inspired by the nervous system.

Fundamentally I made a similar argument that if it was just for shirou it would work, but literally we have never seen any alternate names or appearances for said circuits, humours, chakra's and so on.

Are circuits mentioned in tsukihime? my recollection of that game is so bad..

Also how biological are circuits at this point? they seem to be spiritual but oddly biological at the same time
    Last edited by Byegod; November 12th, 2021 at 08:07 AM.

Fundamentally I made a similar argument that if it was just for shirou it would work, but literally we have never seen any alternate names or appearances for said circuits, humours, chakra's and so on.

Spoiler:

I'd say all circuits looking like computer circuits after shirou is just very much the same thing as all servant sheets looking like they do in FSN and all that even though we know every master is supposed to see them differently. It's just an easy way to convey the same thing to established readers/viewers, and changing that is only necessary if the different view of them is actually integral to the story being told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Didnt they convert her circuits into command seals? those arent just circuits if memory serves?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post

Spoiler:
    Hmm... that's quite a depiction on spoilered part.

Blog Entries
    Never seen the second picture, where's it from?