Page 1659 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 65911591559160916491654165716581659166016611664166917091759 ... LastLast
Results 33,161 to 33,180 of 37818

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Do we know if he was the one who came up with the idea? Maybe it was one of his predecessors

Hell, maybe kid Zouken had his share of worm time too

Just sayin
    I mean I do think that would help, maybe thats why nasu avoids showing zouken becuase thats a big question to answer

And of course that would still mean he perpetuated a cycle of abuse

Am i sounding reasonable here?

Honestly, what bothers me about Zouken is not so much that he has a tragic past and a "reason" for being evil, what bothers me is that after all the horrible things, Nasu did he wants us to sympathize with him even though the only one reason for doing it is only revealed to us after we saw him do all those horrible things, right before his death and practically out of nowhere, as they said, the same thing happens to Kiara, the things they did and the way they did them are too horrible for me to really sympathize with them in the least, and I would honestly find them far better villains if Nasu didn't want me to forget all the bad things they did with a smile just because they had a shitty life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    Dont think Gil yelling at you to become a uberman will get you a thousand blades unknown to life nor death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    In the nasuverse the easiest way to find out who is the strongest is to have them fight. Whoever loses was the stronger one.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Didn't Kiara's tragic backstory come before her villain reveal? I don't remember the order of the events in chapter 7 too clearly.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo845 View Post
    Honestly, what bothers me about Zouken is not so much that he has a tragic past and a "reason" for being evil, what bothers me is that after all the horrible things, Nasu did he wants us to sympathize with him even though the only one reason for doing it is only revealed to us after we saw him do all those horrible things, right before his death and practically out of nowhere, as they said, the same thing happens to Kiara, the things they did and the way they did them are too horrible for me to really sympathize with them in the least, and I would honestly find them far better villains if Nasu didn't want me to forget all the bad things they did with a smile just because they had a shitty life.
    I never saw the reveal of his old wish as an attempt to make the reader empathize with Zouken, I saw it as a last statement showing how far he had fallen as well as a point of comparison to how successful Shirou was as a person in Heaven's Feel.

In regards to Zouken being buddies with Heroic Spirits, I think it's one of the coolest things they've done with his character honestly. We already knew he was old, but attaching him to some of the best and brightest people in history, even if it's just throught statements in Materials and such, only works to make his descent into depravity all the more extreme. And it really does need to be extreme to justify his character.
    Last edited by pinetree; November 25th, 2021 at 07:24 PM.

US Friend Code
    I have to agree, Zouken's character is meant to be read as a tragic fall but that doesn't mean you're meant to sympathize with him, more like pity him.

I definitely do feel like nasu wants us to sympathize with villains at this point as he does this with so many damn villains.

Or tries to justify what they did with philosophical stuff that most wont agree with (fucking twice)

And tragedy requires sympathy/pity does it not?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    Good characterization for villains generally at least gives you a glimpse into their inner logic and workings. There can be room for likability and even sympathy for who they were rather than who they are. The author just needs to avoid acting like that justifies what they did unless they're writing a morally grey story.

Blog Entries
    Is there any TM villain tier list somewhere? I remember seeing it ages ago.

Blog Entries
    Making a villain understandable, logical, and human is not asking you to simpathize with them; merely to believe that they had their own reasoning, and are not cartoonishly evil. Further still, having villains that share in the morals of the protagonist to some extent is insuring that their themes serve as a counterpoint to the hero's own themes, for example, the lack of self experienced by Kotomine and Shirou. Further further still, tragedy requires not simpathy; it can be understood from a purely apathetical point of view. What changes is if it can be felt, and that is ultimately up to the reader. Explaining =/= justifying.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Besides, if you're going to actually symphatize with any part of Zouken, it's not going to be with his absurd dream to save humanity with some crazy magic ritual, it's going to be with his very real struggle with death.

I hadn't dealt with my own fear of death when I originally read FSN and his first conversation with Hassan hit fucking hard.
    Him choosing to continue living in absolute agony and summarily denying that death could be a solution to it because of his complete panic at the idea he isn't going to be anymore is very compelling. Specially when he throws his tantrums after Ilya keeps throwing the solution to his pain at his face.

Fear of death is a perfectly valid thing

Even for a immortal

I still cant, like to move away from the sympathy argument, his character to me is "overshadowed" by the actions towards sakura and kariya and so on.

Like to use a similar example, one's body not working is something I can get, even if i have minor conditions (tremors, maybe coordination and my left foot isnt working well anymore) It's just hard for me.

Actually I think some of this also could relate as to why I reject a lot of nasu's ideas on servants AND on magic itself, I've seem some of the limits regarding medical science, in terms of shit like "does this work? no, does this next one work? no, does this next one work, kinda but the side effects make it not very useful if i want to be functional)

Blog Entries
    does Zouken still have Barbatos gene in FSN timeline? or is that just a singularity exclusive thing?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamera View Post
    does Zouken still have Barbatos gene in FSN timeline? or is that just a singularity exclusive thing?
    It's something that was planted since the start of their Magic Crest so he should still have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I still cant, like to move away from the sympathy argument
    You don't need to sympathize with him and I don't think the story asks you to.
    You could empathize though.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A possible new interpretation for the sudden decline on the Matou succession line is Barbatos finally getting sick of Zouken's bullshit.

Not sure how i feel about that, i dont agree with the angles above but I would argue that with that angle that would partially take away from zouken if we use said above interpretation.

tbh now that i think about it zouken killing/eating the mothers is kinda self sabotaging if he just plans to take over the new generations, as from a crude perpsective a mother can have more than one child, thus more chances without attracting any attention.

To say something else

Culling and maybe mystery are things that facn only be inferred then observed outside of events like fgo if you think about it.

Of course i think there is a good argument to make that mystery is either vastly overstated or doesnt exist just based on casual observation of things like fgo part 2 not seeming to effect any magic used by chaldea for example
    Last edited by Byegod; November 26th, 2021 at 09:00 PM.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Do we know if he was the one who came up with the idea? Maybe it was one of his predecessors

Hell, maybe kid Zouken had his share of worm time too

Just sayin
    Young Zouken created the Crest Worms, so probably he didn't have worm time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

I mean that means he was fine with rape and bestiality even with his "ideal"

considering even rin was sickened if memory serves as she noted there is no point for that

I'm gonna make a statement that some may hate, but if i had to guess nasu had the conception of some parts of zoukens lore at a different point than other parts and there wasnt a attempt at meshing or changing the parts so they work.

But to change topics yet again, you know how we often say the writing/Nps/whatever are limited by fgo being a gacha, I think that is partially true but I would also note that the materials dont exactly seem to help when you get shit like parvati's NP never being explained or skills that dont explain themselves and so on.

It says to me there is also a lack of trying/imagination on the authors part

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I'm gonna make a statement that some may hate, but if i had to guess nasu had the conception of some parts of zoukens lore at a different point than other parts and there wasnt a attempt at meshing or changing the parts so they work.
    The parts are clearly supposed to clash though so why would you assume that was not planned? Regardless of whether or not you think the end result worked out, the "sides" of Zouken are supposed to be polar opposites.

I guess I was imagining the part of zoukens backstory being more defined later vs the worm lore is what I meant

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    My view of how Zouken is written pretty much aligns with Pinetree's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Didn't Kiara's tragic backstory come before her villain reveal? I don't remember the order of the events in chapter 7 too clearly.
    Kiara's Secret Garden "Philanthropy", about her genuine desire for mankind's salvation and people constantly betraying her while the utocracy/Church pursued her, is in chapter 4 I believe.

Dunno about when she was sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.