Page 1533 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 53310331433148315231528153115321533153415351538154315831633 ... LastLast
Results 30,641 to 30,660 of 37820

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Thing is, the line is so blurry that it may as well be non-existent.
    I'm sorry but Florence Nightingale was definitely real. Whereas King Gilgamesh of Uruk, if indeed he existed, likely wasn't 2/3 divine and didn't kill a giant bull sent by an angry goddess to obliterate Mesopotamia

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    I'm sorry but Florence Nightingale was definitely real. Whereas King Gilgamesh of Uruk, if indeed he existed, likely wasn't 2/3 divine and didn't kill a giant bull sent by an angry goddess to obliterate Mesopotamia
    Then what percentage chance of real counts as real to you?

JP Friend Code
    I'm pretty sure there's no "percentage chance" when it comes to wether a person really existed or not. It's either 100% (Florence Nightingale), 0% (Medusa), or unknown (Gilgamesh).

Nasu could've easily lived off of those 0%s and the unknown by choosing their mythical interpretantions instead of some attempted historical version, like what he did to Gilgamesh. But somewhere along the way someone told him he was allowed to give historical normies superpower and now we're here.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The first was Iskandar, right? Or does Sasaki counts?

EDIT: Hassan, arguably.

JP Friend Code
    I'd argue Iskandar and Gilles were the first

Hassan wasn't really the Hassan. Though FGO noe graced us with his complete supernaturality...

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Zero opened the doors, a tragic flaw in the best FSN spinoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    should have just let urobuchi use a xian like he wanted to originally, it would have simplified everything afterwards immensely
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure there's no "percentage chance" when it comes to wether a person really existed or not. It's either 100% (Florence Nightingale), 0% (Medusa), or unknown (Gilgamesh).

Nasu could've easily lived off of those 0%s and the unknown by choosing their mythical interpretantions instead of some attempted historical version, like what he did to Gilgamesh. But somewhere along the way someone told him he was allowed to give historical normies superpower and now we're here.
    Again, unknowns are based on percentage. Then we have Count Dracula and Demon King Nobunaga.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Charlemagne is the person who Fate has as someone who both existed and didn't

tho the fact that the 'real' charlie has a giant cathedral robot is just a fate thing i guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Nightingale Alter biting chunks of meat off the enemies when?

- - - Updated - - -

More seriously, I reiterate I wish Fate/whatever had never actually used historical figures instead of legendary ones - or rather, that it gave those a proper in-depth treatment.
    Nothing after the printing press should have been permitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, but how about real people whose lives have been turned into legends, like Drake and the Wild Hunt thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Or saints who have historical evidence of their lives.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the god of world-0 View Post
    Okay, but how about real people whose lives have been turned into legends, like Drake and the Wild Hunt thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Or saints who have historical evidence of their lives.
    Again, I brought up Vlad becoming Count Dracula or Nobu becoming the Demon King.

Blog Entries
    That is what I mean, Jeanne d'arc is a Historical character, does she not deserve to be a servant?

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Fate / White Memoria

I submit to you the notion that historical characters existing in eras when rigid documentation, complete records, and factual accounts of their entire lives either didn't exist, weren't actually that rigid or complete or factual, or weren't widely available (as might indeed happen when books are rare and literacy is low) became subjects of speculation, reinterpretation, mythologisation, and all other manner of making shit up as their mythological precursors.

Hence the point is not being able to "prove" that someone existed, as per the setting's logic the "real" and the "fictional" produce an amalgam born of humanity's collective imagining of a heroic figure, but of being unable to "believe" fiction and mythology about someone, either because the figure is too rooted in historicity and fact, or because the distinction between the "real" and the "fictional" has become starker, or because the cultural function of myth in modernity is not to produce heroic paradigms but hoaxes, conspiracies, and all else that falls under the label of "fake and ghey".
    Last edited by Leftovers; June 5th, 2020 at 05:11 PM.

JP Friend Code
    That is what I mean, Jeanne d'arc is a Historical character, does she not deserve to be a servant?
    No
    Next question

Blog Entries
    Or, hear me out here, we can stop creation arbitrary rules for what can or cannot be done and instead focus on creating cool and interesting characters.
    Seriously, History is filled with so many awesome and/or interesting people (like Florence Nightingale, who's story is downright inspiring) that we would be losing much more than any supposed "integrity" that we would gain.

- - - Updated - - -

No
    Next question
    And that is why your not calling the shots

Fate / White Memoria

JP Friend Code
    And that is why your not calling the shots
    Whoever's calling the shots made Jeanne d'Arc the girlfriend of a baby dragon-dragonslayer-frankenstein-homunculus kid. Who looks like King Arthur, Okita Souji, Nero and Lakshmibai.
    Last edited by Zork Knight; June 5th, 2020 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Whoever's calling the shots made Jeanne d'Arc the girlfriend of a baby dragon-dragonslayer-frankenstein-homunculus kid. Who looks like King Arthur, Okita Souji, Nero, and Lakshmibai.
    I wouldn't be the weirdest or worst incarnation of her I've seen. Remember Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc to Renkin no Kishi? That is a thing that exists.

Fate / White Memoria

On the specific topic of typography, the invention can be conceived of as a historical/conceptual landmark where the commodification of print rendered myth untenable as a function of civilisation, perhaps in conjunction with or as a factor in the turning of Nasuland's notional "Ages" into that of modern man. Considering the implication of Gilgamesh's status as the first hero deriving from his myth being the earliest heroic narrative with a possible special significance in that it was recorded and thus endured for millennia in human recollection, it is fair to speculate that there is some significance in the function of writing - though there must be more factors at play, considering that myth by definition is infinitely mutable and adaptable and defies objectivity such as that afforded by "official" and "definitive" records, while also being firmly rooted in oral tradition. Even though people were scratching stories on clay and papyrus even in the Age of Gods, the proliferation of objective records could have signified a pivotal moment in myth formation similar to the original post-19th century clause for Heroic Spirit candidates - possibly facilitating a shift in the function of myth and the nature of belief itself, which could in earlier ages coexist with documentations of specific versions of mythological narratives.

Or, hear me out here, we can stop creation arbitrary rules for what can or cannot be done and instead focus on creating cool and interesting characters.
    Seriously, History is filled with so many awesome and/or interesting people (like Florence Nightingale, who's story is downright inspiring) that we would be losing much more than any supposed "integrity" that we would gain.
    Rules set by the author, of all people, were what gave the concept of a "Heroic Spirit" meaningful distinction from "person/thing with a wikipedia page", and rendered a "Servant" something more than "a template to codify literally anything into the setting". And that's why they later were done away with.
    Last edited by Leftovers; June 5th, 2020 at 08:24 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Mythologization does still happen though. It's just that were was no major wars or periods of conflict comparable to those which contributed to the Matter of Britain or the Romance of Three Kingdoms, so it is usually politicians and entertainment figures who are subjected to it.
    Last edited by Blastedspider; June 5th, 2020 at 05:49 PM.