Page 1651 of 1892 FirstFirst ... 65111511551160116411646164916501651165216531656166117011751 ... LastLast
Results 33,001 to 33,020 of 37826

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Well, i think those were his first ideas, but as he learned more about the modern world he started wearing pants, paying for things and playing video games. Maybe he'd settle for climbing the Everest. Things like buying B-2s always struck me as trying to highlight his disconnect from modern age, not knowing how much things cost etc.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that the fanbase tends to skim over those more unpleasant traits of his. Richard the Lionheart from FSF is a more in-your-face version of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenkex View Post
    Well, i think those were his first ideas, but as he learned more about the modern world he started wearing pants, paying for things and playing video games. Maybe he'd settle for climbing the Everest. Things like buying B-2s always struck me as trying to highlight his disconnect from modern age, not knowing how much things cost etc.
    Despite his love of things in things in the modern world, Iskandar remained resolutely the same person he always was, and as a static character, he facilitated the growth of Waver. I mean sure, we got that bit with him realizing what his Okeanos was, but it's more a bookend to his first and second lives as opposed to any dynamic character development.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    This isn't Persona nor The Christmas Carol.

What???
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    What???
    "lolololol, being good sucks".
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

Perspective makes you think you're right. Escavalien's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the whole point of Iskandar and Gil hitting it off to kind of symbolize that Iskandar is by no means any great moral compass? Unless we're talking about fan reaction and not the writing. In that case fans have ignored worse traits in the franchise before, this isn't a first.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    "lolololol, being good sucks".
    That can't be it, those examples are too specific. Especially since the only historical whitewashing Persona has done is giving Hitler some bitching shades. Well also that time Rasputin was actually a robotic time tourist on vacation from the 25th century, but he was still a huge prick there. Christmas Carole exists solely on Scrooge being a huge prick at the start of the story, so he never gets toned down either unless it's like the Muppet version or something.
    Last edited by Mattias; November 19th, 2021 at 04:30 AM.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Escavalien View Post
    Isn't the whole point of Iskandar and Gil hitting it off
    Pretty sure Iskandar doesnt like Gil personally, he only respects him as king.

Spoiler:
    “The overly-mighty ideal that she harbored within her would burn her into nothing but ashesat the end. Those tears that she would shed at her final moment… I imagine it would be very
    sweet to the taste.”

Complacent, Archer let his imagination run wild.
    With a flick of his eyes, Rider gave him a
    look of enmity.
    “… It seems I still can’t like you, Babylonian King of Heroes.”
    Last edited by Frozenkex; November 19th, 2021 at 04:36 AM.

Perspective makes you think you're right. Escavalien's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I didn't mean hitting it off as in affection, but getting along in a friendly manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Shinji theoretically can do alchemy, potions, and other stuff that don't require his own energy. But he can't do his family's magecraft, so why would Zouken teach him anything?
    I don't think that's the sort of thing that counts as Alchemy really.

If anything it's more like how Gilles can make dead fiends and blood explode into gory mist by how magical energy works, rather than any knowledge of any magic or ability to use spells. At what point is it just mixing stuff with innate properties, and when does it become actually tapping into foundations, occult meanings and the attributes of a magus?

Transforming stuff is probably within nature interference, and so is adding various properties to alchemical creations.

There's also the fact that magic circuits sort of are good for information stuff too.

No matter how much you study, you're kind of less useful than a easily made familiar if you don't have the capacity to be an actual practitioner or magus I feel.

He'd be good at working with Mikiya as somewhat magic world weirdo detectives tho.

I mean atlas count as magi and they cant tap into foundations it seems

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I mean, it says Shirou's affinity is sword because his Origin is Sword, but Complete Materials states that Avalon changed his affinity and circuitry to Sword. If both statements are true, that could only mean Avalon changed his Origin, and then affinity. Of course, one could retcon the other, in which case that's out the window.
    Was there an addendum that said due to Avalon, it was firmly put towards "close combat weaponry" because I thought I heard that before.
    Its like how he says Sakura's natural element changed to Water, instead of Imaginary Element (Hollow) but then says she can use her familiars outside of being blackened when people speculate on her forcing her natural power(when she used her power in Hollow there were parts about circuits suited for IN magecraft she "forced" to the surface).
    It was ill defined then, and its got Nasu's patented "I'll create mechanics primarily as conversational pieces, but don't like to give solid definitions" again. Since when we talk about that, it ends up being speculated that she lost Imaginary Element for Water until another force "woke" it back up, when it sounds like it was suppressed and even then that's ill defined, because in HF Sakura doesn't seem surprised about the expression of her power (through a shadow), but only on the range it has now, which wouldn't make sense if it was always gone for most of her life. Only for AM to wake it up

The idea of one's defining nature being able to be manipulated is fascinating, but I think for the most part Nasu uses it as a cool concept, rather than having a concrete mechanics system, its very specialized with more case by case basis and very general "commonly known" mechanics in magic.

Blog Entries
    That might have been the same part that talked about how projecting shields and armor was doable but cost three times more
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Fairly certain Iskandar is the Persian name, not the Arabic name.
    I think Gen just looked it up online without thinking too hard. "Iskandar" is Middle Persian and appears to be derived from "Alexander." An Old Persian name derived from "Alexandros" would probably look a lot different.
    Last edited by Walnut Sparks; November 19th, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
    O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin.

Shower thought, isnt magecraft due to how true magic is defined kinda a very open system, What i mean is that with how magecraft and true magic kinda define one another, doesnt that mean magecraft is actually a really open/soft system since its defined more like 'here are the things it CANT do' then things it can do.

Aka harry potter vs mistborn magic systems

Mistborn magic system is more 'here are the specific uses magic can do' vs harry potter 'magic can do many things, except x or y'
    Last edited by Byegod; November 19th, 2021 at 10:40 AM.

The Nasuverse always had a more intricate soft magic system, since the rules are intricate yet ill-defined, and they are defined more by the narrative than the other way round.

That being said, what True Magic is, at least in concept, fairly well defined. It's a miracle in the AoM that cannot be replicated by science.

Magic is NFT's!

NFTs is just what my mind jumps to now a days at the statement, cannot be replicated

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Shower thought, isnt magecraft due to how true magic is defined kinda a very open system, What i mean is that with how magecraft and true magic kinda define one another, doesnt that mean magecraft is actually a really open/soft system since its defined more like 'here are the things it CANT do' then things it can do.
    Yes, magecraft is very much designed to be flexible. It's a thing make to fit in and enable any plot, unlike magics, that are so absurd that generally need the entire plot to revolve around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Yes, magecraft is very much designed to be flexible. It's a thing make to fit in and enable any plot, unlike magics, that are so absurd that generally need the entire plot to revolve around them.
    The Nasuverse always had a more intricate soft magic system, since the rules are intricate yet ill-defined, and they are defined more by the narrative than the other way round.

That being said, what True Magic is, at least in concept, fairly well defined. It's a miracle in the AoM that cannot be replicated by science.
    Of course do you think there is a difference between lots of details and actual intricacy? if that makes sense

As i feel like nasu magic falls on the former than the latter, like I remember how I heard that in mistborn the writer made such a detailed magic system that the fans were able to correctly guess how the gaps in the system work, not sure if thats true or not though.

The concept of true magic is well defined, but the true magic themselves i feel are not well defined, mainly the 2nd and fifth

Reason why I brought it up is due to me thinking about how some people say nasu magic is hard and I just think to my above definition.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walnut Sparks View Post
    I think Gen just looked it up online without thinking too hard. "Iskandar" is Middle Persian and appears to be derived from "Alexander." An Old Persian name derived from "Alexandros" would probably look a lot different.
    Reminds me a lot of when Part 1 of the Sixth Lostbelt came out and some people were questioning why the place names were still all in English. My advice from then stands now which is "don't sweat the small details or you'll give yourself a headache".
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)