Page 1588 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 58810881488153815781583158615871588158915901593159816381688 ... LastLast
Results 31,741 to 31,760 of 37820

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Powerlevels are fun when they're theoretical wang-jousting, it's when numbers come up that it all becomes stupid.
    It's good to understand how powers interact with each other, or tell a story imo. Power levels aren't absolute, but higher tier/stronger characters and people. Whether within vampires, or servants, or church people and what not do exist. Understanding how someone wins against another, and why is important to understanding the characters and the setting I'd argue.

In Shounen stuff. It's all about the flair and fun usually, so power levels are something you end up focusing on if the execution is lacking, and something you shrug off if there's plenty to enjoy I think.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But you can do that easier by actually giving story. Instead of saying "Freeza's over one billion" you can say that he's single handily subjugated hundreds of planets. Not only does that paint him as very strong, but also tells you he's an asshole. Sure you can only do it occasionally, for the big villains because if every mook slaughtered planets there would be nothing left, but who care what Cui and Dodoria's power levels are?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    If used well the power levels can make a villain even more terrifying tho, since it gives a sense of "mathematical certainty that you're inferior".

Case in point, even if after their introduction it kinda derailed too much, I think the Shaman King manga did it right. The characters legit lost confidence because they couldn't fool themselves anymore, and one of the protagonists almost lost the will to fight just because he heard the numbers and realized he couldn't have helped anyone, which was then ground for his development.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Didn't Hao (I assume that's who you're talking about, it's been a while and that was basically his thing) open by crushing all the top contenders the group had been struggling against with basically a wave of his hand? Seeing someone who has been built up as you're equal get dismissed offhand is way more intimidating than comparing numbers, because you know what he can can do.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Didn't Hao (I assume that's who you're talking about, it's been a while and that was basically his thing) open by crushing all the top contenders the group had been struggling against with basically a wave of his hand? Seeing someone who has been built up as you're equal get dismissed offhand is way more intimidating than comparing numbers, because you know what he can can do.
    His subordinates too.
    There's a scene in which Horo Horo sees some of them crushing one of the loser teams and wants to help, but he hears them boasting about their insane power levels and gets scared and depressed since no matter what there was no way he could do anything about people with more than ten times his power.
    With Hao too, sure they always knew he was a lot stronger than any of them, but they had no idea just how absurd he was. Giving numbers to it made the situation feel more desperate.
    I'm not saying it's inherently better with the numbers or that you can't get the same effect with actions alone, just that they can be used well.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I think Shaman King does it right because its numbers don't directly translate into power level.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I really wonder how Arturia Alter would react during the Fate/zero Feast of Kings. Arturia wasn't wrong per se. She just backed off way too easily. The dark power of the Grail might either strengthen that resolve or give the recipient the great power of just telling the other side to STFU and die.

artoria alter is a doomer so she'd have a completely different viewpoint to begin with, so alex probably wouldn't end up berating her

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    I really wonder how Arturia Alter would react during the Fate/zero Feast of Kings.
    wine is gross give mountain dew
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    wine is gross give mountain dew
    how lucky. Gate of Babylon contains the very first Mountain Dew collected from the spring near the top of the great Cedar Mountain Mashu, canned by Enlil himself, stored in cans of antediluvian divine aluminium

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Huh, between Castlevania, Fate, and Dies Irae, Ryōtarō Okiayu has voiced an entire bloodline. Castlevania, as Alucard, son of Dracula. Fate/apocrypha, as Vlad III AKA Dracula. And Interview with Kaziklu Bey as the spirit of darkness, known by many names, such as Methuselah and Ludvig, who is the origin of the vampire concept.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Fate/apocrypha, as Vlad III AKA Dracula. And Interview with Kaziklu Bey as the spirit of darkness, known by many names, such as Methuselah and Ludvig

oh for fuck's sake!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Funnily enough he voices the Belmont in the JP dub of netflix castlevania.

I always feel weird with case files as it feels like its going for a anthropology look which feels weird when so much of the myths are real and not just cultural mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I always feel weird with case files as it feels like its going for a anthropology look which feels weird when so much of the myths are real and not just cultural mutation.
    When you add human belief into the mix of magecraft foundation, it's inevitable. Magecraft is about mystery and occultism after all.

Quote Originally Posted by yokushi View Post
    When you add human belief into the mix of magecraft foundation, it's inevitable. Magecraft is about mystery and occultism after all.
    But you get what I mean right? especially with all the other fate works it feels like a weird divide?

But you get what I mean right? especially with all the other fate works it feels like a weird divide?
    Well, Kara no Kyoukai also gets a bit into it too. But most Nasuverse works don't get into the actual workings of magecraft either.

It's more about cultural impact in the end. The 'tru wikileaks FACTS' about legends and such only really matter for servant shit.

It's kind of a weird divide maybe, but it's also a matter of "it doesn't make a difference except in this one specific matter"

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Not really. If it involves Servants, it brings to the modern age what once existed, while in CF it's a world after those things existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.