Page 1570 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 57010701470152015601565156815691570157115721575158016201670 ... LastLast
Results 31,381 to 31,400 of 37811

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea that Ritsuka's mage ability is allowing them to change gender (and related clothes) at will.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post

I could have just as well linked to this fanfic, where the author, after having not updated for a while, decided that the best way to update a WAFF/fluff/angst fanfic about a kid Ritsuka finding a family in Chaldea was to write a bashing rant of Kadoc through the mouth of EMIYA of all people. And later doubled down in the comments when people found it bad, insisting that all Crypters are evil and Nasu making Wodime a well-intentioned guy is a retcon.
    The one thing I love from all this Kadoc hatting is that the people who ragged on him would probably do worse than him in being humanity's last master.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Honestly, while Zouken is better explained now, when I first had read only FSN, the whole fallen good man thing did feel kind of like a last-minute tacked on thing, like he needed a sudden sympathetic backstory.

Perhaps the same could've been said of Kotomine but I feel his thoughts had been explored more and in some ways his dickishness felt less like a "Sith Lord cackling" style of dickishness.
    Even now Zouken's backstory still feels like that imo, so much that seeing Zouken played as the tragic villain is the biggest reason why the London Singularity didn't work for me.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Kirei kept on a stoic demeanor while Zouken made a point of being as gleeful about his evil as possible.

We are conditioned to better accept a tragic background for someone who is low key and collected about their evil in comparison to someone who openly cackles and taunts about their sadism.

There's also the fact Zouken's evil, by its ties to Sakura's backstory, carries an undercurrent of forced sexuality that makes it especially uncomfortable for most compared to Kirei's far less... rape-y approach to wrongdoing.

If Kirei had spent the last yen years raping Rin he'd be as unacceptable as Zouken for most, except for the most utterly extreme of his fanbase.
    Last edited by OverMaster; August 25th, 2020 at 10:00 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Peanut-007's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    *Angry Saber Noises*
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    There is no mystery to this whatsoever. Everyone likes Ritsuka because Ritsuka is not a character, it's a plot tool to move the story along. Once in a while the writers will throw a few token Stock Main Character Tropes on this shallow husk chugging along and fans will swallow it and start saying things like "See, Ritsuka has personality traits like... Looking good in drag!" (Actual argument I was given once).

It's an exaggeration of a phenomenon that existed long before Grand Order and even Stay Night (not that Stay Night is guilty of it, Shirou is a character made of so many fucking issues. Just pointing this out to remark how old the phenomenon is), that of the Harem Lead who Charms Everyone with Nothing but Generic Kindness and Courage, even though, in the context of any other Fate series, the same character wouldn't even get side glances from the same Servants.

Trying to think otherwise is like splitting your head deciding on what Ritsuka's real gender is. It's all pointless because this is just an empty shell for (You) to step into.
    Ritsuka could easily be replaced by a camera which occasionally gets smooched and has a post-it-note saying "You can do it Mash!" attached to the side. Shielder is the main protagonist if anyone is. She's the one with a character arc and direct connections to the main villains. Certainly in the back half of part one she was really the one holding up the emotional side of things.

"We have entered an infinite recursion of Saber."

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Manaka is just drunk on power and love.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    broken by love has been Kinoko's thing since Tsukihime.

Manaka is broken (powerlevels) and in love (nominally), there is no correlation involved.
    Last edited by Leftovers; August 25th, 2020 at 10:43 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Kirei kept on a stoic demeanor while Zouken made a point of being as gleeful about his evil as possible.

We are conditioned to better accept a tragic background for someone who is low key and collected about their evil in comparison to someone who openly cackles and taunts about their sadism.

There's also the fact Zouken's evil, by its ties to Sakura's backstory, carries an undercurrent of forced sexuality that makes it especially uncomfortable for most compared to Kirei's far less... rape-y approach to wrongdoing.

If Kirei had spent the last yen years raping Rin he'd be as unacceptable as Zouken for most, except for the most utterly extreme of his fanbase.
    Well...Kirei did pretty much torture and let rot a bunch of orphans for 10 years in between Zero & Stay Night.

Though I guess it helps they're not named characters that we see beyond a scene in the epilogue of the Zero manga where he shows the smiling orphans he took the church's basement.

Might make one think he was a pedophile...

As for Guda, I do kind of like them more in the mangas, like the Shimousa one. Though perhaps that's hypocritical of me since for all I know, they're still a generic nice guy/girl there.

At least, admittedly I feel they're more of a character in the mangas vs the gacha game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    So basically Naruto. "Sasuke's Carmilla's my friend, even if (s)he's killed hundreds of innocents"

Or any other shounen protag with villains their own age.
    To be fair, isn't Shirou kind of like that, in that as long as you actually aren't doing evil/dickish things he'll be kind of friendly/neutral toward you? Assuming you did that stuff in the past.

Admittedly I can't ever imagine Shirou tolerating say Bluebeard for example.

But I mean he seems okay with say, Medea in say Ataraxia or Gohan, and she kind of went overboard on the draining of lifeforce from townspeople IIRC. Or Cu and his butchering of that family (though Shirou may not have connected the dots there).

Or is the issue more that "they're my best friend even if they're still doing horrible things currently!"?
    Last edited by warellis; August 26th, 2020 at 03:04 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    As for Guda, I do kind of like them more in the mangas, like the Shimousa one. Though perhaps that's hypocritical of me since for all I know, they're still a generic nice guy/girl there.
    That’s perfectly understandable, since manga Fujimaru has real dialogue. It’s still not having a personality but it’s a big improvement nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    That’s perfectly understandable, since manga Fujimaru has real dialogue. It’s still not having a personality but it’s a big improvement nonetheless.
    Yeah. There are real conversations, not just a pair of choices where Guda just responds instead of really "talking."

There is no mystery to this whatsoever. Everyone likes Ritsuka because Ritsuka is not a character
    Spoiler:
    they are similar to scathach, marta's little sister, medeas little brother, ozys siblings, artoria, angra and mikiya.They have the warmth of Ayaka, they are TROYA and they are ROMA and they are anchin and also the reincarnation of sigurd and also just an ordinary japanese nobody. they grope servants regardless of if they like it or not, they belittle some servants and change their personality based on what servant they are talking to, but they are also straight-forward and pure of heart. they speak in memes and can become close with any servant whether they are a hero or anti-hero and on valentines day they get chocolate from every servant. saber lily says its thanks to guda the sword chose her and that she gets courage just by them being near her, and siegfried says he wouldn't hate them even if they stabbed him in the back. caesar will grant them his favor whenever, and they made altera want to do things other than destroying things, and d'eon says they will show their dress that they no longer wear to guda especially. Gil says he'll get serious for their sake, and robin hood says they're even more stubborn than him and it's ok for them to touch atalante. euryale says she loves them though not as much as sthenon, arash says they're suited for horse-riding, boudica says she loves them. alexander wants them to be his teacher, medea says they are good handling servants and pure of heart, andersen who hates humans says he'll write their story, kojiro says it feels good to be ordered by them, cursed arm says they're the greatest master and that they were born to protect them, sanson says they have eyes that can clear doubts and are true and just. carmilla is okay with them touvhing her and vlad says he could spend an eternity with them and never be bored. nobu says they have talent and compares them to hideyoshi angra says they are contrary and like him, etc, etc, this goes on for about 20 more lines somebody who's better at translating please help

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Even now Zouken's backstory still feels like that imo, so much that seeing Zouken played as the tragic villain is the biggest reason why the London Singularity didn't work for me.
    This is how I feel, I do feel this is a problem for a lot of nasu villians (cough cough kiara/araya)

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    This is how I feel, I do feel this is a problem for a lot of nasu villians (cough cough kiara/araya)
    but that's your problem isn't it.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    The Zouken we meet in Zero/SN is a gleefully evil husk who fucks people over because he dislikes them (Kariya), because he's jealous of them (Tokiomi) and tangentially because they might help advance his goal (Sakura). Whatever tragic past he might have had in getting there stopped mattering when he started being evil for the fun of it.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Araya works because you really don't see much of him before, so it just feels like part of his character that is being presented to us.
    But we had already read about Zouken for hours at that point, his character was already solidly established with no hint of there being more to it, so it ends up feeling really forced.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    no hint of there being more to it
    Quote Originally Posted by HF day 10
    "—I'm utterly amazed. You lost your way to that extent?"
    The girl speaks in a voice not her own.

"…Wh… at?"
    "Recall where our desire for a miracle came from.
    Why we are particular about having human form, and why we are trying to reach an inhuman place while keeping our human form."

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Or is the issue more that "they're my best friend even if they're still doing horrible things currently!"?
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Shirou can at least acknowledge that someone is evil. Like, he doesn't try and redeem Kirei before he explode the dagger in his chest, or talk down Gil or Medea after their first appearance, when they make their positions clear.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

they are similar to scathach, marta's little sister, medeas little brother, ozys siblings, artoria, angra and mikiya.

They have the warmth of Ayaka, they are TROYA and they are ROMA and they are anchin and also the reincarnation of sigurd and also just an ordinary japanese nobody.

they grope servants regardless of if they like it or not, they belittle some servants and change their personality based on what servant they are talking to, but they are also straight-forward and pure of heart.

they speak in memes and can become close with any servant whether they are a hero or anti-hero and on valentines day they get chocolate from every servant.

saber lily says its thanks to guda the sword chose her and that she gets courage just by them being near her,
    and siegfried says he wouldn't hate them even if they stabbed him in the back.

caesar will grant them his favor whenever, and they made altera want to do things other than destroying things, and d'eon says they will show their dress that they no longer wear to guda especially.

Gil says he'll get serious for their sake, and robin hood says they're even more stubborn than him and it's ok for them to touch atalante.

euryale says she loves them though not as much as sthenon,

arash says they're suited for horse-riding,

boudica says she loves them.

alexander wants them to be his teacher,

medea says they are good handling servants and pure of heart,

andersen who hates humans says he'll write their story,

kojiro says it feels good to be ordered by them,

cursed arm says they're the greatest master and that they were born to protect them,

sanson says they have eyes that can clear doubts and are true and just.

carmilla is okay with them touvhing her and vlad says he could spend an eternity with them and never be bored.

nobu says they have talent and compares them to hideyoshi angra says they are contrary and like him, etc, etc, this goes on for about 20 more lines somebody who's better at translating please help
    They seem to be everything to everyone.

Which is contradictory in some places from what I'm seeing here.

Like this feels contradictory:
    they grope servants regardless of if they like it or not, they belittle some servants and change their personality based on what servant they are talking to, but they are also straight-forward and pure of heart.

They seem to be everything to everyone.

Which is contradictory in some places from what I'm seeing here.

Like this feels contradictory:
    Oh ive seen this, its a jp image listing all the character traits and how contradictory they are right?