Page 1536 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 53610361436148615261531153415351536153715381541154615861636 ... LastLast
Results 30,701 to 30,720 of 37806

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    I've heard that an (alleged) descendant of Nightingale has been commenting on her Fate portrayal. Is this true? To go off on a tangent, I know that historical Reinhard Heydrich also has living relatives, but apparently, his RL son is too busy trying to refurbish his father's castle to care about any fictitious portrayals.
    Plus, the anime sucked dick enough that it didn't get the chance to become popular and reach a memetic status in the public eye.

In truth, Shinza Bansho fans dodged a bullet, that their franchise didn't get to become like Fate/.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    I take it Michelangelo didn't save anyone then.
    Dont forget robesspierre, but marie's kid can be servants dont worry along with Jing ke who is defined as failing at her goal.

US Friend Code
    Realized today all the Counter Guardians we've seen are Japanese.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    New OC CG when, Nasu has no balls

inb4 gudao
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    New OC CG when, Nasu has no balls

inb4 gudao
    Nah, Guado will be a true HS. His NP's will let him summon every HS to beat on his enemies and Change Gender at will.

Blog Entries
    let us consider - momentarily, without revisiting more complex media-ecological topics which i have discussed in this thread before - that writing, or if you like, the recording of signs, SIGNIFICATION, is a gift from the gods. the ability of writing to convey meaning in the absence of a speaker - a ghostly 'non-presence' of enculturated tradition so to speak, the authority of a BOOK, or a STONE TABLET, an INSCRIPTION - is originally divine. mythologically this is on a sound basis. almost every literate culture of antiquity has some kind of origin story which posits a divine origin for the practice of recording signs. Fu Xi in china, cadmus (a demigod) in greece, etc. the gods come down and teach humans how to write. it is, ab initio, a DIVINE MYSTERY in a very precise sense. [I would like you to incidentally recall phenomena like the High Speed Divine Language, the Universal Language, and so on]. that tales of ancient heroes and so on are RECORDED at all, that we know about them, that they gain the materiality and authority of a TRADITION - this itself is a mystery which echoes divinity.

now - what happens in 'human history'? many things, but among them, very prominently in terms of how human history is retroactively 'perceived' is precisely the immense extension, intensification, and mechanisation of the PRACTICE OF WRITING. from the stylus in clay --> the quill pen on vellum ---> the printing press on paper ---> the rotary electric press on newsprint ---> typewriters on letterheads ---> word processors on floppy discs ---> smartphone keyboards on twitter. human civilisation in a large sense has brought itself to the status of an immense, unparalleled, continuous, ceaseless, process of INSCRIPTION. always, everywhere, some kind of writing, recording, signification, is going on.

now what happens, in TM, when a [divine] mystery becomes widespread, well-known, no longer secret or the preserve of a select few?

answer: the mystery declines, and technology replaces it. (source: rin tohsaka's anus, fsn prologue)

why is it that persons who are KNOWN ABOUT AT ALL only through a mass industrialised culture-industry apparatus (in a larval form throughout much of the 19th century) should not be 'heroic spirits' in the same sense that we should expect persons who existed in the BC to be? the answer, ADVANCING LOGICALLY FROM NASU'S OWN PREMISES - is that the mystery of their being recorded at all, is gone.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Occasionally (incorrectly) credited with inventing the pie chart
    Wait, incorrectly, really? My school's textbook is wrong, then! And we've already covered that chapter...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    She invented the polar area chart, which is like the pie chart but much more visually impactful to scream her point louder and more clearly.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    That just replaces "Heroic Spirits are made by cultural significance of their legends" with "Heroic Spirits are made by being recorded at a certain period of time". Which is arguably even worse as their qualities become completely meaningless.
    Last edited by Blastedspider; June 6th, 2020 at 02:55 AM.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    let us consider - momentarily, without revisiting more complex media-ecological topics which i have discussed in this thread before - that writing, or if you like, the recording of signs, SIGNIFICATION, is a gift from the gods. the ability of writing to convey meaning in the absence of a speaker - a ghostly 'non-presence' of enculturated tradition so to speak, the authority of a BOOK, or a STONE TABLET, an INSCRIPTION - is originally divine. mythologically this is on a sound basis. almost every literate culture of antiquity has some kind of origin story which posits a divine origin for the practice of recording signs. Fu Xi in china, cadmus (a demigod) in greece, etc. the gods come down and teach humans how to write. it is, ab initio, a DIVINE MYSTERY in a very precise sense. [I would like you to incidentally recall phenomena like the High Speed Divine Language, the Universal Language, and so on]. that tales of ancient heroes and so on are RECORDED at all, that we know about them, that they gain the materiality and authority of a TRADITION - this itself is a mystery which echoes divinity.

now - what happens in 'human history'? many things, but among them, very prominently in terms of how human history is retroactively 'perceived' is precisely the immense extension, intensification, and mechanisation of the PRACTICE OF WRITING. from the stylus in clay --> the quill pen on vellum ---> the printing press on paper ---> the rotary electric press on newsprint ---> typewriters on letterheads ---> word processors on floppy discs ---> smartphone keyboards on twitter. human civilisation in a large sense has brought itself to the status of an immense, unparalleled, continuous, ceaseless, process of INSCRIPTION. always, everywhere, some kind of writing, recording, signification, is going on.

now what happens, in TM, when a [divine] mystery becomes widespread, well-known, no longer secret or the preserve of a select few?

answer: the mystery declines, and technology replaces it. (source: rin tohsaka's anus, fsn prologue)

why is it that persons who are KNOWN ABOUT AT ALL only through a mass industrialised culture-industry apparatus (in a larval form throughout much of the 19th century) should not be 'heroic spirits' in the same sense that we should expect persons who existed in the BC to be? the answer, ADVANCING LOGICALLY FROM NASU'S OWN PREMISES - is that the mystery of their being recorded at all, is gone.
    But that's still a function of their age more than anything else, isn't it. There's no difference between Ancient Greece recording ten or twenty famous demigods versus the, I dunno, one hundred contempraries found in Indian literature. If the act of recording their legend was enough to bestow mystery on them, then following Nasuverse (apologies for using the word) premises and proliferation of the written word diluted it then that should have somehow become notable before the modern age, no?

- - - Updated - - -

There's also the subject of Heroic Spirits that existed as real people at some point versus pure fabrications put into paper versus potentially real people deified after the fact.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; June 6th, 2020 at 03:41 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    underestimating the quantitative and qualitative transformation in writing/inscription brought about first by paper media then by movable-type printing. indians have 100 heroes greeks 20 or whatever - at that early stage the quantities aren't so important as long as media technologies qualitatively, as how they structurally enforce 'monopolies of knowledge' (closure, rarefication, secrecy, mystery). see harold innis "empire and communications" - early chapters on ancient egypt, ancient rome - on time-biased versus space-biased media.
    Last edited by Dullahan; June 6th, 2020 at 03:58 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Plus, the anime sucked dick enough that it didn't get the chance to become popular and reach a memetic status in the public eye.

In truth, Shinza Bansho fans dodged a bullet, that their franchise didn't get to become like Fate/.
    But despite becoming popular, Fate never really had to "tone down" anything to my knowledge (please prove me wrong). Or are you just referring to mobage? In which case, yes, I was planning to use Pantheon to swim in a sea of Rusalka/red Anna as I mentioned.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Wait, incorrectly, really? My school's textbook is wrong, then! And we've already covered that chapter...
    She's credited with inventing it because the pie chart was pretty obscure before she used it in her sanitation reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I see.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post

insert mgs2/deus ex memes here

Blog Entries
    but unironically.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Blog Entries
    Is it me or is Sigma relative unpopular. Like for example this MADof the entire fate series, the f/sf part has every master servant pair EXCEPT for Sigma and watcher. Mean dude is literally 1/2 of a main protagonist and barely gets fan art or discussion. AYAKA (other 1/2 of the main protagonist) on the other hand gets like a ton of fanart (thx richard) and discussion about her identity

Tfw your GF gets more fanart that you.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sigma is a pretty uninteresting boy.
    Ayaka is a mysterious cute girl.

It was obvious who would be more popular. The rest of the cast being so much crazier also overshadows him.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Sigma has heavy Narita Protagonist syndrome, comparable to Firo or either of the drrboys. He tries to write the Tohno Shiki by writing a blandass regular joe and telling the reader about his DARK PAST and how he FUCKS and KILLS MEN and might be ACTUALLY CRAZY, and then that never gets brought up again and he gets a big tiddy tomboy girlfriend for no apparent reason and with no apparent chemistry. No, two autistic people will not ever be attracted.

Narita protagonist is always the worst part of the Naritawork, can't prove me wrong. This character is a deliberate move to create someone a normal person could possibly empathize with among all these eccentric cool people doing cool things, which then proceeds to fail on every level because instead of a normal person he writes a predictable robot because he fails to grasp that such characters are only ever defined by being made stranger by their immediate context.

- - - Updated - - -

He kinda tried to go out of his comfort zone with Mark Zuckerberg, but it just made everything worse.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm not up to date with FSF, but I'd argue Sigma is worse than at least the guys from DRRR. They have the benefit of starting out as the regular, relatable person being dragged into this crazy world, only to later be revealed as always being part of it all. The suddenness and scale of the twist makes for great moments.

Sigma starts out already as this super special edgy character, referencing Fate/Zero, with the novel emphasizing his status as a solo agent while also being part of one of the factions. Any attempt at being the relatable human character was already thrown out of the window by that point, leaving only his boring personality as a hint that that was supposed to be his role, but Narita goes further still by setting him up as the chosen one.