Page 1 of 14 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: [Archive] Fate/Moon White (RP)

[Archive] Fate/Moon White (RP)

--------------- When I came to, I was in a freezing field.

I guess the blizzard must have swept through the island. The town I knew had disappeared completely, and it was if a miracle from legends of the past had been brought to life today.

------------- How long would it last?

A blindingly white destruction had overtaken the land and the sea, and only a pure white star remained in the sea, showering its light all around it. The blizzard still raged far away from them, but here, close to the star itself, it was deadly quiet. No sounds of dying people, no sounds of burning buildings. Just silent white, a carnage more terrifying than any roar of war could ever be.

The only things that had not changed in this blank world were him and I. But I would not call myself lucky…….I’m not sure how he would have categorized us, but lucky we were not.

That was when I heard them:

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDI EDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIED IEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDI EDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIED IEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDI EDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIED IEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE

I wasn’t really concerned about these voices anymore. They were things of the past, things tied to my failure. The present me, the me of the world after, would not have to worry about them. There was only one thing I had to worry about, and that was the man ahead of me. Over and above not wanting to succumb to those voices………..yes…………I directed my attention to that man.

“…………..Che. What a fool you are. Can’t you understand that this is the part where you need to die already?”

Calm and composed voice offered no hope. I could not expect myself to be saved. It was a miracle that I still lived at this point. So there was no way I could hope to win anymore. Whatever would happen, I would not be saved from this white world. Even fool like me could understand the difference between “hell” and “death”.

--------- This world was the latter.

“This is why I hate people like you…………you just don’t understand, do you?”

Ironically enough, it was at this point that I collapsed. With no strength left in my body, I collapsed. I just needed to keep my tired eyes open, and I could see the frigid cold night sky, with the far away stars blinking at me, clearly not caring what would happen to me. But that’s good. The center of the blizzard had been destroyed. We only needed to wait so that the whole snow-storm would disperse.

-------- It hurts.

I could admit it only to myself: It hurts. Both losing and the wounds that I have. And I say it on the behalf of all the people that lost and were killed.

“Judger. Kill that fool.”

In the end, I was not given the privilege to writhe in pain for very long. Man ordered his very personal weapon, and the only thing there was left to be struck was me.

“It’s over………Iota. You’ve lost this time.”

I see the beautiful arc of the sword that was raised above me. Now it’s trajectory clearly intends to decapitate my fallen body. What a waste. Just a stab to the heart would have been enough. And even if it was not a waste of an execution, still, they had very little to kill anymore. Just how much of me had died with that blizzard?

And so, the game draws to a conclusion. Black Queen checkmates the White King, and the curtain falls. My heart was dead long before my body was.

It is a very simple story.

And it happened so long ago.

Tengetsu
    96 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------- Now this is an old memory.

The blinding light hurts my eyes, but I cannot help but to open them.
    It feels foolish to face something that hurts so much, but really, what other option did I have?
    During that time, I did not understand what that light even meant.

“….huh?”

Only thing familiar is white. White everywhere around me. The room, the bed, the curtains, the world outside the windows. Everything is so pure white that it feels unnatural. No warmth as one could expect to find in a normal world.

----------- Still, this room, where there’s only one bed, one door, one window, and one person…….is full of happiness of “life”.

That simple thing allows me to relax.

It might have taken only an hour, or it might have taken a day, before the door that was white was opened. Inside came a man that I did not recognize, but was looked old and very grumpy. He came just when I was getting anxious about my surroundings. It was so well-placed timing he came across as something akin to a mind-reader.

“Well, it seems you’re finally awake. It took you long enough. Nine others were lot faster than you”, he scolded me, but not harshly. I could see a smile that wandered on his lips.

“Then tell me, o’ late one. Do you want to walk through that door? I can’t tell you what there is, but I can say that things are different from this room. The choice is yours.”

I would lie if I did not say that voice was not suspicious. It was old, and it was coarse, yet it managed to retain some warmth inside it. And the way he posed the question made my answer simple.

-------------- To change or not to change? Of course I would walk out of the door.

My answer was followed by entering of four women, all dressed in similar clothing. They helped me to get dressed up too, and when I looked myself from the mirror they brought, I saw that my clothes held the same style, yet were, of course, different.

After I was dressed up, the man hold out his hand and nodded towards the door. It was the signal that we should go. But as I was about to take his hand, he asked me one more question.

“There is one last thing that I should tell you. To be frank, I’m a sorcerer.”

No exaggeration. Just a cool, hard fact.

But what did I care? The man’s hand was warm. Sorcerer or not, I took that hand. And together we headed out to the world, out of the white, stale room.

Fate/Moon White

DiVinityDiViderDiVinator
    Welcome to this bloody fairytale
    In which, sword or hand
    Is it lie or truth?
    On this cruel night

What are you afraid to believe?

Name:  Chapter1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  11.4 KB

Time: (6:02) – (1/4 Day)
    Day: 1st

Average Temperature: -22 C

Forecast:
    From 1/4 Day to 3/4 Day: Cloudy, slight snowfall
    From 4/4 Day to 2/4 Night: Cloudy
    From 3/4 Night to 4/4 Night: Clear

News headlines:

- The yearly "Great Blizzard" has started to set around the island once again. Today is the last day that all forms of transportation from and off the island are operating. Tomorrow both airport and harbor are cut off, and the citizens of Tengetsu will brave yet another winter on their own...

- Our shrine of Yamaichi has gotten a rival! It seems that the members of the Holy Church that have their grand ship moored in the harbor are planning on building a church on our island. We were unable to get the opinion of head-priest of our shrine due to his frail health, but the priestess-in-charge had time to express her opinion...

"This is Captain Motohara speaking. We have now entered the air-space of Tengetsu island, and we are preparing for the landing shortly."

The voice of the slightly-older-than-middle-aged captain of the plane rang out from the speakers around the aeroplane. As one could expect, this caused a slight murmur from the passengers, as they prepared for the landing by putting away the magazines they had been reading, headphones they had been wearing, or just stopping the activity they had performed in order to forget how high above ground they actually were.

-------- This all was what it seemed to the normal eye.

What most of these people did not know, was that in this plane, nine individuals known as "Masters" were traveling. Of course, even they themselves did not know about it. Or rather, they were not sure if there were any other Masters in the plane. Even if the letter they had gotten had given them the ticket to this plane, they could not prove that the others had gotten a similar letter too. And thus the only thing left was uncertainty.

Was the enemy here? In this plane?

For those traveling to the island of Tengetsu to experience their most unique winter, this was a moment of excitement, as the whole experience was still ahead of them.

For those traveling to the island of Tengetsu to fight in a war of nine people, this was a moment of tension, as the enemy they knew to exist could possibly be in this very plane.
    Last edited by Hyarion; March 19th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Bai Shui
    Time: (6:02) – (1/4)
    Day: (1st day)

"This is captain Motohara speaking. We have now entered the air-space of Tengetsu island, and we are preparing for the landing shortly."

The pilot's announcement from the speaker woke me from my slumber. I had been asleep for the majority of the trip here.

Who am I? Well, I'm a magus. One day, I received a letter while I was continuing my research to perfect my technique, despite the fact that my location should be hidden. Reading the contents, I decided to accept the letter's challenge and become a Master taking part in a Holy Grail War. I thus took the plane ticket enclosed within the envelope, and on the specified day, boarded the plane for the island.

Well, according to the envelope, their should be nine of us in total, so that meant there were eight opponents. I had no idea who these eight opponents were or even how they were going to travel to the island. Some of them may even be on the very same plane I'm on right now. But, such speculation is useless. Even if there may be some other masters on this plane, I'm not going to take any actions and instead I'm just going to sleep. No point in searching for them, that might just give myself away. Instead, I'll just sleep peacefully, here in my comfy window seat.

Well, that's what I did, and I'm awake now. I take a look at my watch. So it's around 6 am. Still quite early in the morning, and since we've almost arrived, I should have plenty of time to take action during the rest of the day on the island itself. For now, I'll content myself with trying to solve this interesting chess problem that had been included on this on-board newspaper.

Tikhon Belanov

"This is captain Motohara speaking. We have now entered the air-space of Tengetsu island, and we are preparing for the landing shortly."

So, it is almost over? Good. The suspense has been killing me.

You probably want to know who I am. Da, I suppose I should tell you. I am Tikhon Belanov, a magus from Russia. Recently, I received the most curious letter, one containing the the ticket to the plane I am currently riding on. Why would I follow the instructions on the letter? Simple.

It promised a wish. Something to fix my problem.

But... I shouldn't be worried about that. Today is the my arrival at the site of the Holy Grail. Already, there are 8 who would conspire to kill me. I believe they are all on this plane. For one simple reason. This, as the letter put it, is a game. Everyone most likely has to start the game at the same time.

The game has already started I suspect. All I need to do now is survive to land... and use this rock that I got from... no, that isn't important. All that matters is what I'll get from it.

Ah, da, I forgot. I need to say what I look like. Very well...

I am large man. The stereotypical Russian one might say. At the moment, I am 6'7' tall. Also, my hair is short, and Grayish, which would be odd for my age I suppose, but then, I am a magus. Also, I wear a large, tan scarf. Never without it.

Checking my watch, I find that it is just after 6. The moment I land, I will find a hotel, and summon my servant. I want to meet my partner before we go anywhere near this supervisor. I do not trust them.

Iroaseru Asa

"Uuurgh" someone was saying something but I couldn't hear it over the pounding in my head, it was just like dad to cook up something like this, that bastard and his random envelopes. Didn't he know I hate planes? Grail War? What the hell is this shit?! A low rumbling had set into my stomach since the start of the flight, as such, I had occupied this small cubicle on the flight deck, a bathroom to be exact. Ah, but this is one for crew use only, though, with a little feminine charm- okay, I manhandled my way in here and haven't left.

I could see how terrible I looked in the mirror on the back of the door. My jet black hair was curled slightly around me, now cut short, my eyes, bloodshot and getting hard to keep open. I felt like puking, I had taken off my glasses awhile ago, now I fumbled around and put them back on. I could feel the the plane dropping as it made its decent, my stomach still feeling like a rolling sea I decided to venture back to my seat.

Outside, the crew attendant looked delighted as I stepped out, the plane shook; I shut the door in his face.

"HHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRNKKKKKKKKKKKK"

I don't deal well with flying.

--- From the notebook of A.M. ---

I'll start at the beginning. The name's Alan McCarthy, P.I., and if you've gotten past the wards on this notebook, you already know I'm a magus. How I've come to be a private investigator is a bit of a tale, but that's not the point here. Go ask my family, or myself, if I'm still alive.

Yeah, that's why I'm writing this. Odds are I won't live to see the new year. Like my grandfather before me, I've gotten a summons to a Holy Grail War, and only time will tell if I'll share his fate. That, and my notes have pulled my ass out of the fire once or twice - the life of a P.I. is usually pretty mundane, but there's always those rough spots... like having a former client murdered. Not the best day of my life - but then, I was the one who decided to set up in San Fran.

Hell, this is magi business, and we all know they never play fair. For all I know, the family might need these notes someday.

At any rate, my story is just beginning--

Alan McCarthy
    Time: (6:00) – (2/4)
    Day: (1st)

--White.

Outside the plane's window, the world had changed completely - an endless vista of white skies above and white fields below. Peaceful, certainly... Not looking forward to staying down there, though.

"No transportation starting tomorrow, huh? That's some blizzard," the passenger next to me idly remarked as he picked up a newspaper. "Looks like you're prepared for it, though, with that trenchcoat and all."

"Lived through a couple of Russian winters when I was younger. This is nothing."

Well, probably, I added to myself, turning back to the window. My faint reflection off the window caught my eye, and I absent-mindedly started to study my facial features for what felt like the fortieth time today - reddish-brown short hair, grey eyes, trimmed beard and sideburns... Yeah, I think I'll give the sideburns a rest soon. Or when I get around to it, at least--

"This is Captain Motohara speaking. We have now entered the air-space of Tengetsu island, and we are preparing for the landing shortly."

I could hear the passengers shuffling around after this announcement. Hmm, looks like I've got a few minutes before he hits the seatbelt lights. Might be the perfect time to hit the bathroom for some privacy and start a new notebook... this is basically just another job, anyways. Only, I added on second thought, my client this time is the entire McCarthy family.

Genessa Satellizer/Lightning
    Time: (6:02) – (2/4)

Ah, does that mean the steel bird is nearing it's nest?

Joy~ I'm not very fond of long flights.

I took out my silver(hunter-case) pocket watch, the hatch open smoothly before I begin to adjust the time so that it matches the time in island we're meeting soon. It's an old memento and it has a compass attached to it. Satisfied, I snap the lid shut and pocketed it.

Ah, who am I, do you ask?

My name is Genessa Satellizer but this time I was given the codename Lightning. I am a sealer and recently, one of the fifty elite magi that Barthomeloi Lorelei handpicked. I worked as a maid before for the Barthemeloi's house but that was years ago. Now I'm a fully-fledged Sealer.

How do I look like? Gee, are you really interested? Hmm... my hair which is shoulder-length is silver and I have a long braid on each side of my face. My height is 167 cm which makes that 5.5 feet I believe. My eyes are emerald green.

So, what does a sealer doing all the way in the east? Wait, what is this, an interrogation? Just kidding. Well... I also happen to be one of the Master who will soon partake in a ritual called the Holy Grail War. The nest that this giant steel bird will perch soon will be a battlefield. Not between nation or organizations, but between nine magi, armed with nine heroic spirit from all ages who may or may not be riding on the same plane with me.

Eliminate all the eight contestant and recover the holy grail.

That is the mission this time.

And failure is not an option.

Dan Rong Zheng/Daniel York Morgan
    Time: (6:02) – (2/4)

"I knew it. I should have come with-"

"Relax. We've gone over this a dozen times already. I know what I'm getting into. I survived your training after all."

"Just...be careful. Make sure nobody finds out who you really are. And above all else, do not use the Grail. If the rumors are true, then that thing, that abomination, must be destroyed."

"We're outta time. I have to go."

"Dan, just come back to us alive."

"I'll give it my best, Mother."
    *Click*

How could I make a call in this weather? I got this handy l'il satellite phone from my boss recently. It's a sturdy wonder of engineering that has a compass function and even a GPS. One of the promotion perks in the private security sector.

"Sir, could you please turn off your phone? We will be landing soon."

"Already done, ma'am. You new here? You seem a little more worried than the other stewardesses."

"How did you-?"

"Poker player. You tend to talk louder and grit your left canine teeth. That's a tell in our language. And new employees are never as calm as the regular ones."

"Oh, ok sir."

Is she gone? Phew. I know that was a white lie. I rarely ever play card games, let alone Poker. But I can't just say I felt her anxiety like a gravitating field.

Who am I? Aegis Security Agent, Daniel York Morgan. Or at least, that's who I am to those outside my family and the Mages Association. My real name is Dan Rong Zheng. Just call me Dan, that's what everyone calls me. Isn't that right, Zach?

Ah great, I'm becoming more and more like the real York. He's an old friend from the Clock Tower. Francis York Morgan, or Zachary York Morgan, I dunno, he switches between the two. Really strange guy, but really brilliant as well. He's who I based my cover I.D. on, easier to become the mask as they say.

Where was I? Oh yeah. I used to be a magus in the Clock Tower of the Association. Had to leave 'cause of some business regarding my Origin or whatnot. 'Was just trying to get to know people. No harm in that, eh Zach? Right now, I'm a private contractor for Aegis Defense Services: Law Enforcement Assistance (LEA) branch. Guess that job makes me a Spellcaster by mage standards, but whatever. What do I look like? There's my reflection in the window.

I'm 1.83 meters tall (that's 6 feet to my American friends), I weigh 72.5 kilos (160lbs), and I'm lean, but built for my body type. Pretty average face for the most part: half Caucasian & half Asian, dark brown hair in a low fade style, slightly tanned skin with no facial hair, and a strong chin & cheek. People say I look young for my age, but hey, isn't 24 young enough? All in all, I got a face that makes people think "that's a friendly-lookin' guy, maybe he can help me." Oh yeah, there's a real faint scar on the edge of my left cheek. Got that from a recent contract. Who'd a' thunk that lady laced razor blades under her nails?

Anyway, you're probably wondering why a Spellcaster/Security Agent is coming all the way to some remote island in Japan. Well as you heard earlier, I've been invited to the Holy Grail War: a conflict between nine magi who'll control nine heroic personae from ages past with the grand prize of one wish. However, as my foster mother just said, there are some unsavory rumors floating 'round the last two Grail Wars. If they have any merit, then nothing will be as it seems in this War, and eight other magi are walking into a death trap for the wrong reason. I can't save them all, but I gotta try.

That's why I need this contract with the Tengetsu Police Force. The people here need to be prepared for imminent danger. And this shipment of Aegis 'goods' might come in handy. But first, I have to gain their trust. A sheep dog's no good if the shepherds think he's a wolf, right Zach?

I just hope this Officer Nakahara Shou is a nice guy. Wouldn't want to leave a bad impression right from the get go.

Rauna Aikio

I was startled awake from the deep thoughts, when the captain announced that we were almost in Tengetsu. I had spent the rest of the journey by thinking of my grandfather and the mysterious letter I had received. I am a magus, taught by my grandfather. Although he has told me that I might have some unique events in my life, the letter was still a little surprise. I hadn't thought something could happen so soon. My grandfather had died only three years ago (when I was 21), and I would still have wanted to have his support, though in theory I knew everything needed. Also, I would have hoped to be a bit older and wiser before I have to use my magus skills outside of familiar environment.

On the other hand, leaving from home wasn't a bad thing at all, it would be good for me to get out of normal circles for a while. Then I would not need to see Mikael with his new, so ordinary girlfriend almost every day. Well, I had made my choice in that case, have to live with it.

I just hope my little sister won't freak out, when she finds my cryptic farewell message. She has a tendency to worry about everything too much. Though now she actually might have something to worry about...

What should I tell about myself? I was born and lived all my life in Northern Finland, in the land of ice and snow. Somehow weather in Tengetsu makes me feel at home, I am used to hike and ski even in very cold or snowy weather. Though I am small, only 155 cm (5'1") tall and slim, I'm rather strong and tough, at least for a woman of my size. I have long dark brown hair, which I usually braid, and dark brown eyes. My face is roundish, and I have slightly tanned skin tone. I like to use bright coloured clothes, blue, red, green and yellow, but my reindeer-leather coat is naturally grey, and it's the most practical piece of clothing you can have in the winter time. Along with reindeer-leather mittens and woolen felt hat of course.

Actually, I'm looking forward to this coming Holy Grail War, though it's going to be really hard and also dangerous. I want to do something in my life to help my people, and this might give an opportunity. If I'll survive. But at least I'm going to honor the memory of my grandfather.

People are packing their belongings, maybe I too should prepare for the landing and stop dreaming. Soon will be seen what happens.

The announcement was thin and tinny against the foreground of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills". I put my Ipod on pause, took off my head phones (ear buds really didn't work for my ears) and put them away. My stomach was already bunching up in knots in fear of landing. I knew statistically that this should have been safer than driving, but being this high in the air above Mother Earth was making me a wee bit uneasy if I say so myself.

I put my Ipod into my pocket and pulled out a crystal matrix that was as wide as my first three fingers and made out of what looked like two black crystals until I held them up to the light and they shone a deep, smoky brown. Smoky quartz, good for the last point of energy in my body, protection and more importantly in this current situation, calming. I grasped a point in each hand and took a deep, cleansing breath.

Automatically I felt my own energy, or "prana" as those magi morons called it, loop around my body, right itself and stabilize. I felt my own heart calm to a slow, steady rate as the anxiety slowly passed. I could handle people wanting to beat me up, skinwalkers, Ravenmockers, and the like, but for some reason flying, or at least landing, was scaring me shitless.

My name is Aileen Blackthorn, I'm a Shaman, a Medicine Woman in training if you will. Magus is a "white" man's term, and my people have been practicing medicine long before King Arthur pulled some sword from a stone. I got a letter in the mail with a plane ticket to Japan to fight in some Grail War thing where I summon some ancient heroic spirit to kick ass for me. Even though I'm all capable of kicking ass by myself.

I'm Apache-Irish after all, and that is a very dangerous combination. I get crazy, bloodthirsty, bad tempered warrior blood from both sides of the family tree. I've got a temper and I've punched a few dudes in my time. Not to mention sometimes someone has to fight for Medicine's sake. Now, I don't go around picking fights, but if you start something with me or my people I'm going to finish it, with my fists, feet or blades if I have to.

As to why I'm here?

Curiosity.

I really don't have a wish for myself. If I did have a wish it would be for my people and every other tribe that was fucked royally by European settlers to be remembered, honored and be able to practice their beliefs with freedom. Wishing for revenge would be moot at this point and time, that and it's really bad medicine.

And . . . it would be really cool to fight side by side with some ancient hero to kick other ancient heroes asses. I mean, being able to punch General Custard in the face would be like a dream come true. Or to give him one nasty kick to his nuts.

Yes, I do have a problem with gratuitous violence. It's something my teacher wants me to work on and I don't blame him. I don't want to disappoint him when I take his place, and I really don't want to disappoint my tribe as well. It's bad enough I have to work twice as hard because my hair's red, not black and I have blue eyes and pale skin. For some reason the Irish blood came out in my appearance, but my Native blood gives me my powers.

However, I'm not some bitter half breed. In my heart I'm Apache and follow those ways, and I'm a warrior and a Shaman. And, I'd be untrue to myself if I didn't want to get notice for my people and their ways in this battle. I will show them that there is more than magic out there, and that there is more than one right way. I will make them see.

I'm not running to the hills.

Maebana Misune
    Time: (6:00) – (2/4)

Stirring from her sleep, Misune takes the blanket off herself before looking out the window beside her. All she could see outside was white, as snow blurred the whole view. Just looking at the snow made her shiver, so she put on her winter jacket covering herself up.

Oh, introductions are important. Ohayou gozaimasu, my name is Maebana Misune. I am fine with being called just Misune. I am 5'8 and I have long black hair that reaches down to my chest which I keep flowing.

I got this letter one day with a ticket inside of it along with letter about a Holy Grail War. Why did I join this war? Well, its not like I really wanted to join to kill, but it would be rude to decline. If i can, I would like to win or finish the war without killing any of the other 8 "masters" if possible.

Suddenly I hear the sound of a door slamming, odd, there seems to be a disturbance in the crew section. Odd...whats that funny smell?

Time: (6:25) – (1/4)

Officer Nakahara Shou was having a great day so far. After waking up at the usual time of 4am and doing his morning exercises, he had managed to eat the breakfast in surprisingly short time without rushing it. This meant that he was able to arrive at the station at the precisely right time, and could relieve Senior Officer Mifune from his duty. Nakahara showed a great deal of respect for the old officer, and wanted to make his night shifts as easy as he could.

After about 1 hour and 30 minutes of going through the latest reports, drinking coffee and listening to Enya-san's blabbering, he had taken a patrol car and headed to the airport, where he was supposed to pick up the representative of Aegis Defense Services. There had been a deal with the higher-ups and the Aegis company, and so this representative had arrived to the island to show some new non-lethal weaponry and combat-techniques to the police force of Tengetsu. Nakahara had taken a peek in the crate of supplies that had arrived about day earlier than the representative, and so far, he had no doubts. What the higher-ups decided was not always understood by the simple police officers, and Nakahara knew that it was not his job to question the decision.

After it had been announced, about 15 minutes ago, that the plane had landed, Officer Nakahara had taken out a sign, which read: "AEGIS DEFENSE SERVICES". He stood with it in the front of the small crowd that was waiting for the passengers to come out of customs, which should be any minute now. With the sign, Nakahara was sure that the representative would see him immediately. There was quite a crowd waiting for the passengers, so large it was almost bothersome. Well............Officer Nakahara had to admit that it was not the crowd that was bothersome. It was the certain young man beside him. A blond foreigner, most likely slightly younger than he himself was. Officer Nakahara had nothing against foreigners in particular. After all, there were many of them nowadays in Tengetsu, what with the Holy Church arriving in their ship, and those scientists who wanted to study the "Great Blizzard". However, what made this man so disturbing was the............thing he sang, on a low, almost unaudible, voice. Officer Nakahara knew that he was most likely..........no, he had to be........the only one who could hear it.

"Ten little Masters arrive on a day fine;
    One froze to death and then there were nine.

Nine little Masters prepare for the fight;
    One cursed himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Masters make the score even;
    One was caught cheating and then there were seven.

Seven little Masters try clever tricks;
    One set off his own trap and then there were six.

Six little Masters search for the archive;
    One got to know too much and then there were five.

Five little Masters abandon their valor;
    One was found guilty and then there were four.

Four little Masters going out to sea;
    Ice broke under one and then there were three.

Three little Masters gazing up to moon;
    One went crazy and then there were two.

Two little Masters descend into sun;
    The light blinded one and then there was one."

At this point, Officer Nakahara could not help but to shiver, hearing those ominous words. Not only that, but as if he had known Officer had been......no, as if he had been singing to the Officer all along, the foreigner turned to face him, with his orange eyes shining with danger.

"One little Master faces truth alone;
    He was pierced by ten swords and then there were none."

After a moment of silence, the blonde foreigner turned around and disappeared into the crowd with slow steps, like those of a hunting mountain lion. Officer Nakahara stared after this strange individual, until he disappeared from his sight. Officer then turned around, as the passengers of the plane started pouring into the lobby of the airport, after getting through the customs. Some were welcomed by people that had been waiting and some just headed straight for exit, where the island of Tengetsu awaited. Officer Nakahara shook his head, trying to make the uncomfortable feeling disappear. He raised his sign, trying to draw the attention of the representative who had to be amongst that crowd.

"And then there were none.......huh......?" Officer Nakahara still muttered to himself.

Iroaseru Asa
    Time: (6:22) – (1/4)

I don't know what it is, but once we touched ground, it felt like I got kissed by the sun. Or something like that, I am not good on my analogies, either way, everything was sunshine and daisies. Unfortunately, behind me it smelt like the battle of Carthage, and I shut the door quietly behind me.

"Ma'am, sorry to bother you and all, but it is company policy-"

I stare at the man, who had been waiting for me what seems the entire time to exit that cubicle. Ah, whatever, this is annoying.

"Shut up"

I don't have time for this silly games, he fell silent; so I just left him there standing. I fix my glasses, there were so many irregularities all around me. In the crowd of people at the terminal I could see them, like lights, burning so intense it was a little scary, nine...no, there were ten. There was an irregularity among the irregularities, no, there were even more than ten, dozens...

"What the hell is up with this place..."

This place feels stiffing, even though its cold, I slip through the crowd, and I really don't want to be here right now. Like I was on auto-pilot, I was out the front door, a crate in one hand, and suitcase in the other, and snagging a taxi as it made an illegal turn. The old crusty man behind the wheel gave me a weird look.

"Just take me...somewhere"

I crammed into the taxi, inside, I could still see them; like lights, flickering lights. Somewhere inside me I felt sick; they were all like candles about to be snuffed out by a ominous breeze...

(6:58)

Where the hell am I going...

Bai Shui
    Time: (7:15) – (1/4)

After making my way into my room, I quietly lock the door behind me and set down my belongings. I silently open my suitcase and begin taking out suitable equipment to begin the summoning.

Something... was most definitely wrong with this island. I had no proof apart from what my instincts are telling me, but these are the same instincts that have allowed me to survive up till this point. Well, perhaps instinct isn't the right word to describe it, 'sensitivity' might work better. Regardless, the first thing I should do is summon my Servant.

After finishing preparations for the summoning, I close my eyes and search my memory. How did that chant go again...

"Ye first, O silver, O iron.
    O stone of the foundation, O Archduke of the Contract.
    Hear me in the name of our great teacher, the Archmagus Schweinorg.
    Let the descending winds be as a wall.
    Let the gates in all directions be shut, rising above the crown, and let the three-forked roads to the Kingdom revolve.
    Shut. Shut. Shut. Shut. Shut.
    Five perfections for each repetition.
    And now, let the filled sigils be annihilated in my stead!
    Set.
    Let thy body rest under my dominion, let my fate rest in thy blade.
    If thou submitteth to the call of the Holy Grail, and if thou wilt obey this mind, this reason, then thou shalt respond.
    I make my oath here.
    I am that person who is become the virtue of all Heaven.
    I am that person who is covered with the evil of all Hades.
    Thou seven heavens, clad in a trinity of words,
    come past thy restraining rings, and be thou the hands that protect the balance-!"

The instant I finish the final line, a bright flash of light fills the room. Shading my eyes to protect myself, I open them again after the light had faded to see-

Tikhon Belanov

It seems the plane has finally landed. Before I get up, I check for the rock. While I never fell asleep, I live in a world of magic, and there are more ways than simple pick-pocketing to steal something.

It's there. This rock is my only piece of carry on luggage. There was nothing more important to my time here than this.

As I leave, an old anger rises up in me, as I remember where the idiots go.

The airport. I think it has something to do with lines. Waiting in line, people's IQ's plummet. He's a rocket scientist, he's a rocket scientist... he's standing in a line, he can't figure out how to hold his ticket and his I.D. at the same time.

And where are these people? In front of ME. Luckily, most of this was dealt with getting on the plane, but there's still the moving sidewalk. The entire point of the moving sidewalk is so that you can walk on it, thus increasing your speed as you get to baggage claim. Why do people get on and STAND, like a bump on a log. These people are content to just sit there and STAND, for about 400 yards.

I push them out of the way, walking down the moving sidewalk. Anybody who is not walking, or way up on the side looking out for Mr. Efficiency is immediately my enemy, as I rush to baggage claim so I can be the first one there and wait the longest.

I immediately go to the mouth of the baggage claim where the luggage comes out. I am completely ready to get it. Three minutes later, I see the people I pushed out of the way coming into the baggage claim.

And so, I wait.

After everyone is gone, with me the only one there, my luggage finally comes out, with about 9 other pieces of luggage. Where are these people? I don't remember anyone dying on my flight. I don't remember anyone jumping out the window. You know where they are? About halfway home in cab, with their boyfriend or girlfriend yelling at them for forgetting their luggage entirely.

Sighing, I pick it up and walk out.

Time: 6:55 - (1/4)

Luckily, there was a subway quite near the airport, and I had already planned out my route and what hotel I would be going to before coming here. Purchasing a three-week ticket for the subway's all over Tengetsu, I get on the train, sitting down with my luggage. One hand is on the rock in my pocket at all times. Luckily, I will be using it today, soon. It takes about 7 minutes before the train reaches old town on the other side of Tengetsu. The "Yuki-Sakura Hotel" is where I'll be staying.

Time: 7:15 - (1/4)

Reservation ticket in hand, I walk into the hotel. I want to get this done as quickly as possible. On the way in, I had purchased two sodas and two large packets of crackers, those little snack bags you can get in every city. While I hear that servants don't need to eat, the one I mean to summon was supposed to have been a great eater in his legend, and I want to get off to a good start.

What servant do I plan to summon you ask? That is...

...A secret.

"Can I take your bags sir?"

"No thank you, I will be heading to my room immediately"

That hadn't taken long. I'll give this hotel one good thing, its that reservations are dealt with almost instantly.

--------------------------------------

Here we are. I'm in my room and ready. Everything is set up. Rock in hand, crackers and sodas off to the side, I start chanting.

"Ye first, O silver, O iron
    O stone of the foundation, O Archduke of the Contract
    Hear me in the name of our great teacher, the Archmagus Schweinorg
    Let the descending winds be as a wall
    Let the gates in all directions be shut, rising above the crown, and let the three-forked roads to the Kingdom revolve.
    Set.
    If thou submittest to the call of the Holy Grail and if thou wilt obey this mind, this reason, then thou shalt respond.
    I make my oath here.
    I am that person who is to become the virtue of all Heavens.
    come past thy restraining rings, and be thou the hands that protect the balance-!
    "

That's it. That's the end. Light blinds me, and I'm very glad that the curtains in this hotel are very dark. As it fades, my servant is revealed~!

Dan Rong Zheng/York Morgan
    Time: (6:39) – (1/4)

The lobby at last! Between baggage claim, customs, and those crowds, that took forever! Seriously Zach, some people these days have absolutely no sense of urgency. They were all, "Oh my gawd, I've never seen snow before! Let's clog the narrow sidewalk as we stare at the window! Don't mind the fact that several hundred people behind us have actual business to attend to!"

At least we got to see something interesting. Remember that janitor on the parallel side? He took advantage of the walkway's automated movement to speed up his cleaning whilst covering every spot. So simple, yet so genius! Amazing! He deserves a promotion.

Damnit, I gotta stop doing this. I know you're really not there Zach. If I keep this up, I really will go bonkers. But it's the best way to maintain my cover. At least you're with me in spirit, well not literally of course. Now, back to reality.

Quick Inventory... Bags? Check. Carry pack? Check. Phone? In my pocket. Wallet? Check. Badge? Check. Element Jacket? I should get that out. This casual cotton jacket won't do. Shades? In the bags. Special Gear? Stowed with the glasses. Food? Yep, made sure to stock up plenty of my favorite sweets.

Jeez. Pretty drafty in here even with 3 layers, my bags, and the thermal lining on my pants. I'll just zip up my collar here and off we go. Now, to find Officer Nakahara. Shouldn't be to hard to spot a uniform holding up a sign...

"AEGIS DEFENSE SERVICES." That's our man. Let's go-

Hold up. You feelin' this vibe, Zach? Something's clearly got this guy spooked. This feeling, it's a lot of discomfort and...possibly dread? That look on his face, shaking his head like that. It's as though Death just breathed down his neck. Should we do that? Wait, check that. He's already got enough on his shoulders as it is, and I don't mean that huge sign. Not now. Maybe later.

For now, get the badge out, approach, and go through the same ol' greeting.

"Aegis Security Agent, Daniel York Morgan. Please, just call me Dan, that's what everyone calls me. It's an honor to do business with the Tengetsu Police Force. I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long. Airports these days..."

Alright, now that that's outta the way, stow the badge, and get down to it. Go for the tried n' true professional handshake and assess the situation. Maybe break the tension.

"You must be Officer Nakahara Shou. Is there something wrong? Did you get the shipment alright? Indigestion perhaps?"

Nakahara Shou

Officer Nakahara was clearly somewhat startled by the sudden appearance of Dan, but he, with extreme speed, regained his composure and returned the handshake with the firmness of a cadet that had just graduated from the police academy. Officer then, as if to cover all bases, bowed to Dan in a japanese style, welcoming him in both western and eastern way.

"Ah, do not worry about me, Daniel-san. It is nothing serious. I was just lost in my thoughts, after hearing something......shall I say, confusing?"

It seemed that Officer had completely side-stepped Dan's wish to be talked informally.

"Ah, what was it........something about "Masters" and then..........how did he end it......"Then there were none"? I'm not sure, I can't really remember anymore. Well, in any case, some strange foreigner just mumbled a poem of sorts while standing beside me on the group that was waiting for the passengers of that plane you were just in. A disturbing poem, shall I say."

Officer Nakahara shook his head, as if trying to banish the whole thing from his mind. Then he snapped his head up, took a more fitting stance for a prim-and-proper police officer, and faced Dan again.

"Ah, where are my manners? I am indeed Officer Nakahara Shou, from Tengetsu Police Force. I am pleased to meet you, Daniel-san. Our Superintendent has been waiting for your arrival. It seems that he has heard good things about Aegis Defense Services", Officer said. "But let us talk more in the car. Superintendent is waiting for us in the police station."

With that, Officer Nakahara guided Dan out of the airport, and into a patrol car. Unlike in most towns in Japan, this patrol car was actually a large 4x4, clearly made to travel even in the deepest snow. Officer Nakahara took the the wheel after they had gotten Dan's luggage in the car, and then headed out to the streets of Tengetsu City.

After few minutes of silence, Officer Nakahara glanced at Dan, with somewhat curious look in his eyes.

"So? How are you liking the snowy city of Tengetsu so far? Most of the japanese people don't like the amount of snow, but the island has attracted lot of foreigners. There are even those who come every year, like that photographer who sometimes works with our crime unit........Einzbarn.......Zweiberg.....what was his name again.....?" Officer Nakahara frowned, clearly annoyed that he could not remember someone's name, but then turned back at Dan, waiting for answer to the question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Servant Saber
    Time: 7:17 - (1/4)

First thing I saw was light. Then I felt life.

Yes, my self, which had been dead for so long, was pulled away from wherever I had went, and placed into a vessel, a vessel that walked under the earthly sky once more. Knowledge of this world once again filled my head, and not just what I remembered. New things too, things I should have not known. I “knew” this world in an instant, as I was supposed to do. After all, with that information, came the reason of my existence.

------------ Fight in this Holy Grail War.

With that I knew what my mission was. I was supposed to fight and win this Holy Grail War, along with my Master. The chance for miracle, for both of us: That was what this war was all about. Defeat the opposition, and claim your prize. It was not unlike the world I had lived in before dying. I was just repeating the very same life I had been living up till then. Back then, I had never let any enemies stand in my way. Neither would I know. Surely, and without a fail, I would secure the victory and claim what was mine.

The light died slowly, and revealed my surroundings. A hotel room, which was not half-bad, actually. The summoning circle had been made in the middle of the room, and all furniture had been moved to the walls, as if to make way for whatever might step forward. I saw a man shielding his eyes from the light. This was, most likely, my Master. Judging from his appearance, he was clearly from around Europe, though his grayish hair was slightly odd. And judging by his clothing, outside the window, it was full-blown winter. However, curtains were covering the windows. Still, there was enough light for me to see my figure again from the large mirror on the other side of the room.

I was clad in the exact clothing and armor I used to wear back then. Golden and bronze breastplate which brought out the muscles and curves of my body. On top of it, my sturdy, thick leather coat which extended slightly below my waist, and was fitted with bronze-colored metal-plates for additional protection, like oversized scales. The gold and bronze tasset on my waist offered some protection and kept the coat in place by being fitted on top of its lower half. Metallic boots and vambraces both had golden symbols in then, lines going zig-zag through them. Under all these armors was the dress I used for battle, being the color of forest’s green, and with golden lines and edges. Slit was in the front-side, in the middle, and it had a more flowing, warm cream-colored fabric that allowed me to use my legs as much as I wanted, without having to worry about the clothing. The metallic piece of tasset covered the front side, so it was not vulnerable either. And over my shoulders, as if to crown my clothing for war, was my huge, thick cape, being even deeper green than the dress, and with massive fur-lining on both ends, that being form the whitest hair found. Golden zig-zag pattern adorned the lower edge, like thorny vines. The cloak framed me, making me seem even bigger than I already was. Inside the cloak, I could see the familiar picture that only few had seen.

And what about myself? I had not changed a bit either. My long, white hair was still flowing all the way to my mid-back, and the three thick braids on both sides of my head were as strong as ever. The muscles I were so proud were as well-defined and imposing as they had always been. And from the looks of it, I hadn’t lost any height or weight either. If you’re wondering about the height…..well, it seemed that I was 5 or 6 centimeters taller than my Master, and he was not a short man himself. Rest of me……….was just as I had been. Red eyes that I had seen many times reflected from the water of the lakes, and the face that was described both handsome and beautiful by men and women alike.

Yes…………this was…………me.

And if I am this, then the man before me…………….

“---------I ask of you. Are you my Master?”

Yes, the voice that is mine. Rough as beast’s, the type that no other person of my gender had in my homeland.

But the man does not answer. It seems that he is too in awe of my form. Whether it’s because of my aura of danger, the sheer presence of my physical form, or the fact that he’s surprised by my beauty……..I’m not sure. But I’ll continue.

“I, Servant Saber, have come forth in response to your summons.”

As I look at the man before me, I cannot help but to grin. This man……..I saw many men during my life. I think I can categorize this one soon. And from the looks of it, I’ll have no problem with fighting alongside this person.

------ He seems like a good guy.

“From this time forth, my sword shall be with you and your fate shall be mine. ---------Now, our contract is complete.”

I say aloud the slightly clumsy words that every Servant automatically knows. I wouldn’t use so overly complicated words, so they feel strange when they roll out from my tongue.

“Take my hand, boy, and this Queen of War shall lead you to victory in this Holy Grail War”, I say and offer him my widest grin, along with my hand.

And so, a man known as Tikhon Belanov met a woman known as Servant Saber.

Maebana Misune
    Tengetsu International Airport Baggage claim
    (6:30am)

Finding my suitcases on the conveyor belt, I quickly grab them and call over a taxi to take me to a hotel.

Hotel Room
    (7am) - (1/4)
    Day 1

Locking the door and closing the curtains, I carefully lay out my catalyst in specific locations, shutting my eyes before speaking the chant that would summon my servant for this war.

Hear me in the name of our great teacher, the Archmagus Schweinorg
    Set.
    If thou submittest to the call of the Holy Grail and if thou wilt obey this mind, this reason, then thou shalt respond.
    I make my oath here.
    I am that person who is to become the virtue of all Heavens.
    come past thy restraining rings, and be thou the hands that protect the balance-!"

Even with my eyes closed the light is bright as it still shines. Dimming, I slowly open my eyes to see my servant-

Aileen Blackthorn

Yes, I was currently praying to the porcelain god.

My throat was burning and my stomach heaved, but after the purging and panting bent over the cool solace of the toilet I was actually feeling better. The landing had messed me up more than I wanted to admit to anyone, especially my Medicine Man or my parents. And especially not the kids I grew up with at the Res. They'd be laughing their asses off if they saw me, the big bad Shaman giving homage to the porcelain god due to landing.

I flushed and made sure no one else was in the bathroom so I could wash my hands and make my discreet exit. I washed my hands, wrinkling my nose at the heavy perfume of the soap, switched to cold and swished my mouth out to eradicate any trace of bile left in my mouth. I caught my reflection in the mirror and made a face. There were tiny bags under my blue eyes due to the whole, "HOLY SHIT I AM IN THE AIR AND JESUS!" anxiety in the plane last night. My auburn hair (I am NOT a ginger, my hair's too dark . . . okay, I do have some freckles, but I'm not like covered in them) looked like someone slicked cooking oil through it.

I may have needed to summon a Servant some time soon, but I wasn't going to do ANYTHING until after I rented some awesome Japanese crotch rocket to tool around town, got into my hotel, slept and then showered. Possibly shower twice. I did feel rather gross right now after all.

Then I was going to have a talk with this Supervisor and get some answers. Like how do I summon my fucking servant. I'm not going to call on someone named Schweinorg or to things that didn't call to me and went against my teachings and beliefs. I was going to summon him or her on my terms, with bells.

Seriously, my Medicine Man gave me these set of bells and said I should use them.

After collecting my luggage, I headed to rent a bike. I found a nice Katana for fairly cheep rates and headed to the hotel. My Spider Sense was tingling as I reached the door, wondering if there was any other "Masters" here. I scowled as I stared up at the hotel. That, and it seemed rather manufactured.

Since this seemed to be the place of ice and snow, I wondered if I could find a sky lodge here. If there was a mountain around here, that would actually amp up my abilities. I could pull from Mother Earth's connection and amplify both myself and my Servant. I'm also what magi call a synchronizer, which meant when I was sulking about in London, there were a lot of people who wanted in my pants.

Even though I can amp someone that way rather easily, I have methods that I like better that doesn't include bodily fluids. I'm not sleeping with anyone unless I loved them, simple as that. Naughty fantasies about Nathan Fillion withstanding. Then again, it's Nathan Fillion . . .

With a frown at the hotel, I got on my bike hoping I could find an internet cafe.

Dan Rong Zheng/York Morgan

"It's an ideal change in scenery from the war-torn Middle East and the militant African states. Personally, I never really liked the hot, arid deserts or the sweltering humidity of the rain forests. And all those bugs are such a hassle, especially when bullets are whizzing past your face. 'Much prefer these beautiful snowy landscapes. Something about all that white fluff is...mystifying. It makes you just wanna lie down and gaze at the coming snowfall 'till you feel the sweet embrace of sleep..."

From the Officer's point of view, I must look like I'm on some dreamy rant about places I'll almost never see because of my line of work. It's all true to boot. Winter's my favorite season. And the bustling city life continues to pass us by. Say, that's a neat-looking highrise. Must be the Tennou building they mentioned in the travel brochure.

But what he said: Masters and "Then There Were None..." Zach, we really stepped into the Lions' Den this time. And eight other victims are coming right after. "And Then There Were None," that's something I haven't heard for a long time. Had to read that along with a whole heapin' pile of o-so-useful 'literature' over 14 years ago. Honestly, I still don't see any practical use in that crap Izumi shoveled into me. Sure it's interesting but-

Damnit I'm digressing again. And Then There Were None, pretty sure I used that to work around it. From what I can recall, ten or so people come to an island and...no good, have to dig deeper. Focus, and look within. The memories must still be there. No part of me shall ever part from me so long as both come to an understanding. Agh.

Damn jet lag. I'll have to push this back on the to-do list. With this police business, servant summoning, and meeting the supervisor on top of this War, we definitely got our work cut out for us, Zach.

"Officer Nakahara, do you happen to know any good places to stay? I could definitely go for a comfy bed after all those hours in the cramped passenger seat."

Alan McCarthy
    Time: (6:47) – (1/4)

I didn't expect to still be sore after this long, Alan thought, making a mental note to avoid that particular airline. I know that Dad trained the hell out of me as a kid, but really... is a muscular build like mine all that unusual? Those seats were a crime against humanity...

Alan found his thoughts drifting and mentally shook his head. ...Stress? I can't afford that, not now. He quickly found a cab and stepped inside, asking to be taken to the Tengetsu Royal.

Best get the summoning done ASAP. I intend to summon the strongest servant of all...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan McCarthy
    Time: (7:25) – (1/4)

Saber.

He gave his catalyst one last look, contemplating what he was about to do. I'm not going to make the mistake you did, Granddad. This sheath should be all I need to summon a Saber - not a Berserker.

Holding it aloft, he admired its simple elegance. Several small rubies studded the remarkably well-preserved leather, and the shape of a flower could be seen in the center of the design. This should be general enough to allow fate to choose a fitting Servant, but specific enough to ensure a Saber - yes, he nodded, whatever happens, Granddad, this is a decision that I will not regret.

Placing the sheath on the circle he had prepared, he began the incantation that he had practiced so many times...

Hear me in the name of our great teacher, the Archmagus Schweinorg.
    Set.
    I make my oath here.
    I am that person who is to become the virtue of all Heaven.
    come past thy restraining rings, and be thou the hands that protect the balance!"

As he finished, the hotel room filled with a blinding light--

Servant Rider
    Time: (7:27) – (1/4)

This feeling...

I remember this feeling, the feeling of my body being pulled toward the ground... It’s so alien to me, yet so familiar at the same time. The feeling of my body being pulled in a certain direction. How long has it been... I can’t recall... I know that I’ve been summoned to fight in a Grail War. I’m a Rider class, huh...

I take a look at myself. My upper body is covered in the armor of a knight, even my hands and arms. I bring my right hand slightly and grasp some hair - it's brown, and judging by the length it falls to my mid-back. Taking a look at the rest of my body, I have a blue skirt that ends right before my knees, and I have a slim pair of knight boots that start at my shins. On my hips rest a pair of swords, though the one on my right looks almost plain compared to the other. I remember these two guys, we've been through thick and thin together.

There is another person in the room, a guy. His face is impassive - is he the one...? Only one way to find out.

“--Are you my Master?” I ask. I can’t help but think ‘Say no, say no, let my Master be cuter than him.’

"I am Alan, of the McCarthy clan. I have summoned you to be my sword - my Servant - in this Holy Grail War. Is it your wish to fight by my side and achieve victory?"

...Oh well. “So I'm your sword, huh? Nice to meet you, partner." I give him a smile.

"Good to see we don't need to be formal. I'm not the type to waste words. So, what should I call you?" he asks me, seeming to relax slightly.

“Rider.” I stick out my hand for a hand shake.

"Lady Rider. I'm honored." He takes the offered hand and gives a genuinely kind smile.

My smile doesn’t go away. “No need for the lady part, we are partners now. And what should I call you?" He has a strong hand shake, a sign of a good person.

He looks vaguely amused, but quickly returns to his serious expression. "Didn't mean to offend. You lived in a nobler time, and I thought that I should call you Lady Rider at least once. It's not practical to use, anyways. ...Call me Alan."

“No offense taken Alan, now I say we get the hell back to base. ...Where are we anyway?” I scratch the back of my hair, wondering where here is.

"Actually, good point - I haven't decided on a base yet. We're in a hotel - a large inn, basically - until I can find a place here." I raise an eyebrow, and look at him as if to say I can’t believe what you just said.

“So basically... we don’t have a place to call home...” I trail off and start to think about where to set up, but before I can come up with anything Alan nods his head towards the door and asks "Want to discuss it over breakfast? I saw a place that serves more traditional Western food on the way in, and it's been a while since I had some company for a meal."

I look at him with bright eyes, how long has it been since I’ve tasted food? "Oh, sounds good. I'm in." I can’t wait - I start heading toward the door when Alan stops me. “Hey, Rider. You don't think you'll turn too many heads dressed like that?" Crap, I forgot. I don’t think armor is normal unless you’re asking for another Servant to find you, anyway I totally forgot.

“I might need new clothes.” I scratch my head sheepishly, laughing a little bit, but Alan’s face remains as serious as before... Is his face made of stone? He has kind eyes that even now seem to be laughing with me, but I haven't seen him change his expression since we sealed our contract.

"Just use your spirit form. We'll find you something before the meal," he says, before walking to the door. I nod, instinctively knowing how it works. My body suddenly felt lighter as I shifted forms and disappeared from sight--

Alan McCarthy
    Time: (7:27) – (1/4)

--The light fades, and I find a young girl standing in front of me. I take a moment to examine her appearance - a set of armor still managing to be feminine, fairly long brown hair, striking blue eyes - and guess that, despite being only a couple of inches shorter than me, she can't be over twenty. Hm. Becoming a Heroic Spirit at that age... that's not an easy feat.

The twin swords on her hips catch my eye next - two swords? Impressive. Those aren't shortswords, though, so I doubt that she uses both at once. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

My observation only lasts an instant, however.

"--Are you my Master?" she says. If I had any doubts about her age, her voice lays them to rest - it is a youthful voice, but still, I note, the voice of a warrior.

I speak the words that I have been mulling over since I arrived at the hotel - "I am Alan, of the McCarthy clan. I have summoned you to be my sword - my Servant - in this Holy Grail War. Is it your wish to fight by my side and achieve victory?"

The apprehension on her face finally dissolves into a smile. "So I'm your sword, huh? Nice to meet you, partner."

Glad that she's still a kid under all that armor. I drop the business speech and speak my mind instead. "Good to see we don't need to be formal. I'm not the type to waste words. So, what should I call you?"

"Rider."

...Well. That's fate for you. I manage not to miss a beat and shake her offered hand. At any rate, the contract is complete - there's no looking back now.

"Lady Rider. I'm honored." As I say this, I give her a smile that seems to come naturally - only realizing afterward how unusual it is for me. Her cheeriness must be rubbing off on me.

"No need for the lady part, we are partners now. And what should I call you?" she asks.

Yeah, I expected as much. "Didn't mean to offend. You lived in a nobler time, and I thought that I should call you Lady Rider at least once. It's not practical to use, anyways. ...Call me Alan."

"No offense taken Alan, now I say we get the hell back to base. ...Where are we anyway?" She scratches her head a bit and starts to look around the room in curiosity.

"Actually, good point - I haven't decided on a base yet. We're in a hotel - a large inn, basically - until I can find a place here." This gets a reaction out of her - she stares at me as if wondering "what sort of a moron did I get summoned by?" What? It's not like I can say that I was trying to summon Saber before anyone else did... I mean, I do have plans for finding one. ...Wait, is she mad that I implied she doesn't know what a hotel is?

Rider suddenly interrupts my thoughts. "So basically... we don’t have a place to call home..." she says, sounding dejected.

Eh... that was a quick mood swing. I mentally shrugged. Forget it. This should patch things up. "Want to discuss it over breakfast? I saw a place that serves more traditional Western food on the way in, and it's been a while since I had some company for a meal."

Sure enough, she lights up like a Christmas tree again. "Oh, sounds good. I'm in." She starts to jog towards the door, apparently forgetting about the weapons and armor covering her body.

Heh. Just a kid... I wonder who she is, or what she's done? I erase the slight smile that I find forming on my lips and call to her. "Hey, Rider." She looks back at me, her hand on the doorknob. "You don't think you'll turn too many heads dressed like that?"

Her face seems to cycle through surprise, then shock, then a sheepish smile. "I might need new clothes."

"Just use your spirit form. We'll find you something before the meal," I say, only half-jokingly wondering what I was getting into. She nods and begins to disappear as I return the hotel room to the way it was before the summoning.

What a pair. The stoic P.I. magus and the upbeat teenage swordswoman...

...Yeah, that's all I can say.

What a pair.