Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 691011

Thread: An Alternate Solution

Wait.... what. Komrade Kwestions's Avatar
    Here's a theory to chew on: The Makiri were involved in the first grail war, and contributed their best method for controlling a familiar. It failed, so they then proceeded to research and create the Command Seals for the second war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois McMaster Bujold
    The rule for the plot of character driven stories is to ask: So what's the worst possible thing I can do to *this* guy?' And then do it.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Einzbern provided the administration (the Lesser and Greater Grails, using a fraction of the Third to call the Heroic Spirits), the Tohsaka provided the land, which housed the leyline that provides the required amount of distortion for the ritual, and the Makiri provided the summoning (binding Heroic Spirits to a magus and placing those souls in Class shells), which seems like it was upgraded to the command spells due to 'issues'.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    See? I WAS NOT WRONG.

*ahem*

So yeah, lolnasu-induced plotholes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    which seems like it was upgraded to the command spells due to 'issues'.
    Yeah, I guess there's enough ambiguity in the CM3 entries for there to have been an imperfect/alternate version of the Command Spells hanging around for the First. They simply weren't the same as 'those in the present'. When they didn't work (and, it seems, all hell broke loose rendering the First a 'bloody failure'), Zōken and his family presumably set to work to 'complete' the system. Not, apparently, that it helped, but hey.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Death is only the stepping stone to success. Santo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yeah, I guess there's enough ambiguity in the CM3 entries for there to have been an imperfect/alternate version of the Command Spells hanging around for the First. They simply weren't the same as 'those in the present'. When they didn't work (and, it seems, all hell broke loose rendering the First a 'bloody failure'), Zōken and his family presumably set to work to 'complete' the system. Not, apparently, that it helped, but hey.
    You know...sense the 4th is considered a success...I wonder how bad the first must have been, in order to be labeled as a 'bloody failure'

Blog Entries
    First and Second are '朱敗'/'bloody failures'. Apparently things really went to shit in them. *shrug*
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Some of the Masters survived the Fourth, and the Grail manifested. Its quite possible that neither occurred in the First and Second (depending on what 'Descent of the Grail' means).

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

And in the third someone decided it was a good idea to summon Angra Mainyu.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAct View Post
    And in the third someone decided it was a good idea to summon Angra Mainyu.
    I think that might have been the Einzberns, frustrated by two bloody failures in a row.

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

When you think about it, the HF version of the fifth isn't that bad in comparison with the other four previous ones... well, maybe it's worse than the fourth. Just maybe.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Death is only the stepping stone to success. Santo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
    I think that might have been the Einzberns, frustrated by two bloody failures in a row.
    In their defense. They thought they would summon an unstoppable God.

They got some poor kid with all around E stats and a shitty as Feth NP...that horribly corrupted the Grail system as he was the first to die.

Poor Einzberns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    When you think about it, the HF version of the fifth isn't that bad in comparison with the other four previous ones... well, maybe it's worse than the fourth. Just maybe.
    I think the only reason the 5th war was not worse than the 4th. Is the fact that it caught everyone with their pants down.

Cute Boy Who Likes To Show Off Nacho the Doritosedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    HF? definitely. Fate and UBW? still beaten by the clusterfuck ending of the fourth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    In their defense. They thought they would summon an unstoppable God.

They got some poor kid with all around E stats and a shitty as Feth NP...that horribly corrupted the Grail system as he was the first to die.

Poor Einzberns.
    Being Einzbern is suffering. this is truth. Just look at poor Ilya ;_;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
    Some of the Masters survived the Fourth, and the Grail manifested. Its quite possible that neither occurred in the First and Second (depending on what 'Descent of the Grail' means).
    It's just the term for 'the place where the Holy Grail manifests at the end'. It's said for each of the first four entries, seemingly without qualifiers, so I wouldn't read a lot into it.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

For all we know, the First 'war' might have just been the logical clusterfuck conclusion you get when you summon multiple Heroic Spirits without restraining bolts and tell them the Last Man Standing gets access to a wish-granting machine...

We don't even know if the 'no Anti-heroes' clause was there before the Third... And given how Gil, Medea and Medusa keep themselves buffed up on prana...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When Rin and tech touches one or the other will spontaneously combust into a conflaguration of flames and pain, that is the law of Rin.

In fact we do. Until the summoning of Avenger in the third war, and the corruption of the grail after Avenger's death, the Grail didn't summon (and couldn't summon unless cheating, and only the Einzbern can cheat like that) anti-heroes.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.