Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lethum's Libro Lounge

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    Nice chapter. A few comments:

I know what you mean, but this is really ambiguous since there are two ongoing wars.
    I suppose that it's fine if the two people who are close get it really fast, though I'll see what I can do about clearing things up in the narration.
    BZZZT.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    ?
    It's Veronica, not Victoria.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    It's Veronica, not Victoria.
    Silence. You saw nothing! Victoria was a working name until I found something better. Apparently my mind forgot.

Blog Entries
    01-Love's Lovely Ranger Land: Please join the Self-Defense Force
    02-Legendary Heroes War: Pay one catalyst and 10 mana to place the Servant Card in the field
    03-Tactical Magical Espionage Action: Of Sit-Rep, Op-Sec, Fall-Back and Infiltration
    04-Place of Learning: Actually the Place where Battles Happen
    05-The Witch of Betrayal: A Love Letter to All Her Followers

Swordcraft Knight Rhapsody Shirou
    Place of Learning: Actually the Place where Battles Happen

Yuuno Scrya was a very happy man. He was currently watching his two students desperately dodge and shield against barrages of powerful magical bullets, magically enhanced swarms of summoned creatures and two berserker drugged mages that were using cartridges like they were candy after having broken their own tournament seals in their rampage. He also looked oddly happy for someone whose students were in such dire straits.

By all rights his students should have been overpowered long ago. Not only had their powers been sealed down to C rank as specified by the rules of the tournament, but their enemies had broken the seals –a valid tactic according to the rulebook- and were putting enough power in a single spell to kill Shirou and Vivio many times over. Berserker as they were, nobody was certain if their spells were deliberately lethal or if simply they had lost the clarity of mind to decide against choosing to use lethal force.

But the truth is that finding out about the Throne of Heroes from Shirou's father had lit a metaphorical fire under Yuuno’s feet. He had felt incredibly enthused by the mere thought of something like the Throne of Heroes existing. Consequently, he had trained his students quite a bit more rigorously than he would otherwise have. The world seemed freer and bigger after this revelation, and a long suppressed sense of adventure finally freed itself from the old guilt he felt at the trials that had befallen on Nanoha after letting it truly loose for once.

It wasn't that he aiming to enter himself or his students into the Throne of Heroes. He just knew that he could push his students harder because people could be pushed harder. Because people had been pushed harder and thrived. Because he believed that both of his students had the potential to accomplish wonders, and that those wonders were of a scale that he hadn’t dared imagine since he’d begun reading his first Science Fiction book.

But between his students, Vivio was the hardest to teach. She was the product of centuries of careful breeding and even more careful genetic manipulations, tested by fate time and time again against factions with resources on interplanetary scales and motivated to do nothing but tear her line down by might or guile. She'd learn everything he taught her and make it into the most effective combination of it...with time. For all that she learned fast and that her instinct was spot on, she benefited the most from actually experiencing the act of acting her choices out, and dealing with the consequences of what she could do to refine her combat skill to its utmost.

So he taught her healing. And then he taught her illusions, transportation, summoning, bombarding, shooting, shielding, field spells, spell interception, mana conversion, evocation and everything else he could manage. And then he taught Shirou how to match, counter and overcome anything she could do, without turning him into a fighting machine useless against anyone other than Vivio. Though he still felt that it was Shirou’s own merits that had avoided that fate, not his own admittedly heavy handed interference.

In fact, Yuuno was the only reason why Shirou had enough power available to combat in the same scale as Vivio, thanks to a medical procedure –closer to a ritual, really- that he had essentially created himself. He'd also designed and developed the style that Shirou used, along with his device. And if that wasn't enough, he also had directly taught him almost every spell Shirou knew. In a sense, Shirou's current combat prowess was more of a testament to Yuuno's own mastery of all things magical than anything else. Even if by now, Shirou had come into his own, designing his own spells and tactics with only minimal input from him, the majority of his arsenal still came from Yuuno one way or another.

But the results were evident. Shirou and Vivio were steadily and stealthily disabling everything that their opponents used against them. He saw with pride as an illusionary copy of Vivio lead a small swarm of summoned metal birds right into a car sized fireball aimed at an illusionary copy of Shirou. The Vivio copy came out of the other end of the fireball, with her barrier jacket smoldering and scorched in places, and produced a pair of wicked looking swords before starting to swing them at the mage before her.

The illusion didn't succeed at striking the other mage even once, since its attacks kept on being dodged, but it succeeded in herding that particular enemy to where the real Vivio was waiting with an attack prepared. Her Impulse Cannon, if Yuuno didn't miss his guess. The resulting impact broke with great ease through the shield spell that their enemy raised instinctively, and imbedded him in the ground of the tournament's battlefield.

Shirou hadn't been resting in place, however. He had been hiding among the clashing rains of projectiles, easily navigating through the bullet hell of swords, magic bullets and flying summons with an ease that spoke of long practice. He was acting far more careful than someone who could fly so freely should, but when the other enemy charged him at unbelievable speed, his careful approach was rewarded with the perfect opening to dismantle his enemy with a short and decisive series of strikes that resulted in the other mage landing on the ground, pinned to it by blades a meter away from his partially interred teammate.

Yuuno was proud of his students. He was proud of Vivio, whose every instinct would show her a path that could lead her to victory, and who still had her whole life before her to grow even more. He was proud of Shirou, whose every action defied the fate that would keep him from following his ideals, chasing them with all his strength against impossible odds and succeeding. And he was proud of Nanoha, whose immense talents, great work ethic and incredible zero-to-hero origins had already carved her name in inter-dimensional history. He was proud of how Shirou and Vivio dealt with the desperate final recourse of their enemies, self-destruction, saving them from a pointless death and handily winning their match.

As someone who had come to see himself as a teacher before a Librarian or an Archaeologist, Yuuno Scrya was indeed a very happy man.

Tohsaka Rin was a model student, a school idol and a powerful magus. With nothing but reference books, partially outdated research journals and a fake priest that doubled as a subpar magus as a teacher, she was not only superior to almost all of her peers in the same age bracket but she also surpassed even full-fledged magi at the peak of their skill when it came to magecraft. Even in her own family, she was one of the most skilled members in record.

And yet, she hadn't discovered that Emiya Shirou was a magus. Or worse, Takamachi Vivio, with whom she held regular contact as one of the people that the school population pretty much worshiped. It would have been fine on some level if he'd just been some informed mundane, but a magus is a dangerous creature that hides from the mundane world for their own purposes, shrouded in mystery by their own design. Knowing that they could use mysteries very distanced from any kind of magecraft she had heard of, at a level of power that allowed them to survive a defensive fight against Servants was simply contradictory to what she knew or even suspected of her.

Even assuming that it was somehow related to the Fifth, and that their teacher was the Blue, the True Magician’s magecraft still followed magecraft's rules as long as she didn't resort to her true magic. Not to mention that from her admittedly limited experience, passing down a True Magic was very time intensive and inherently difficult. Those two, assuming that they shared similar magical skill sets, remained enigmas. Well, Takamachi could still be an informed mundane, like many priests of the church, but she doubted it.

To think that Shirou'd been able to use mystery on a level that she'd thought it was a Noble Phantasm even before summoning and contracting with his own Servant filled her with an odd mix of admiration and contempt that she didn't know how to deal with. The voice of her Servant reached her and shook her out of her thoughts.

"It wasn't magecraft." He said. Rin resisted the urge to frown. "I have some skill with Orthodox Magecraft, and I can tell that it wasn't magecraft as it is understood by modern magi."

Without speaking out loud, Rin responded. "So you understand what he was doing? What was he doing, if it wasn't magecraft?" She asked. The simplest alternatives she could conceive of were one of the psychic powers that occasionally turned up or nonhuman heritage, but what she'd seen had been too complex and versatile for the first and it lacked the tell-tale signs that betrayed the second one.

"I don't really have a word for what was being done, but it wasn't magecraft," Archer explained. "In a sense it was similar to Marble Phantasms, in that the rules of nature weren't being interfered with, but it still was a deliberate interference with the natural flow of the world. It's closer to the results of purely technological devices than to actual enacted mysteries."

It didn't really answer Rin's questions. As far as understanding their mysteries went, she still knew next to nothing. And considering that they were enemies in the Grail War, that ignorance could measure the distance between her life and death. Emiya Shirou and Takamachi Vivio. She narrowed her eyes fractionally. She was on the verge of remembering something that could be important.

The lunch bell rang, and she quickly gathered her things and left for the ceiling with her astralized Servant in tow. Her classroom was much closer to the stairs than Shirou's was, so she found herself on the isolated corner of the school's rooftop before anyone else arrived. A quick check of her work showed her that everything was working exactly as it should. Behind her, Archer materialized without a word.

She took out her lunch from her bag, and rested her back against the fence that surrounded the place. She didn't eat. That would be rude, even if Emiya was taking his time to show up. A small alarm she had set up rung, and she turned her attention towards the door she had locked after climbing the stairs that led to it. It and the spell she had cast on the lock were simple precautions that wouldn't stop a magus, but would keep normal students from interfering.

Like she expected, the door opened without a pause. It meant that Shirou was competent enough to bypass her little lock at least, which taught her a little about his magic's abilities. So she was surprised when, instead of Shirou or Vivio like she expected, she saw a foreigner girl dressed in an unfamiliar school uniform. Before she could do much of anything, the two people who she was expecting followed behind the first.

Rin turned back to the foreigner girl again, to guess from her looks why Shirou would involve her. She was taken aback as soon as she recognized that the girl was Saber, the Servant that Emiya Shirou had summoned. The change was really superficial, Saber hadn't even changed her hair style, and yet she, who should have recognized her as a Servant right away, was actually fooled.

It was probably a hint at whatever hero Saber had been in life, but that wasn't the point of the meeting.

"I see that you didn't forget to come, Shirou. Good morning," Rin said with the same tone she'd use to mention that it was a sunny day. Shirou stood back and pushed the door closed.

"Good Morning," Shirou and Vivio responded in chorus. "We came as soon as we could," the redhead continued.

"Why don't we talk as we eat? There's no point in wasting the lunch break," Rin offered.

The others in the school's roof agreed and soon enough they all had opened their respective lunch boxes and begun eating. Shirou was the one who broke the silence to start the conversation.

"So, did you want to talk about the bounded field over the school?" He asked. He'd felt 'something' as soon as he'd entered the school, but it was while he was examining the Archery Club's equipment that he'd realized that he was practically sitting on top of a mysterious magic circle connected to a barrier that surrounded the school. It was in a magic style that was utterly alien to anything he'd met before, so neither Lotus Blade nor Sacred Heart had had time to make any sense of it.

"Yes. That field is the reason why I was here last Saturday. I noticed when it went up a few days ago, so I came to investigate as soon as I summoned my Servant." Rin answered.

A pause.

"Thank you for that time, Tohsaka. You really saved me," Shirou said, thankful.

"You already thanked me once, there's no need to keep doing it." Rin said, looking annoyed. "In any case," the magus said when she regained her composure, "that bounded field is a disgusting thing, like the inside of a stomach that will eat the blood and meat within it. Haven't you noticed how listless people are? I tried investigating during the lunch breaks, but all I could find were just decoys."

"Do you know who could have done it?" Shirou asked.

"I know that it was done by a Master, and it has the whole school inside it," Rin explained. "The preparation phase for it is very slow, so I had time to check some suspects. I've got some ideas, but I don't have any proof yet. …Well, I knew there was another magus in this school, but a magus doesn't necessarily equal a Master. And when I checked that person, I didn't find any command seals."

"So we have no idea who it could be," Vivio said between bites. Beside her, Saber was quietly devouring her own lunch and watching in silence, letting the Masters talk while she looked out for enemies or spies.

"Well, there are cases where an amateur becomes a Master by accident," Rin admitted. "But since all we know is that they don't feel like a magus, then either their knowledge of magic is incomplete or they are very good at hiding. The latter would be very unlikely, unless..." Rin trailed off, turning to Vivio. "You are a magus and they are hiding as well as you."

"I'm...something else," Vivio admitted. "But we'd have found out if there was someone else like me in the school."

"Tohsaka." Shirou said, looking at a spot on the wall. "Are all the decoy's you've found like that?" He asked as he pointed at the place he was staring at with a finger. When the other people in the school's roof turned to see, they first saw simply an empty stretch of the wall. But by examining the spot a bit deeper, the unremarkable piece of the school's construction revealed a magic circle of an unknown make.

"Yes," Rin said, after looking at the circle for a moment. "But destroying it won't do anything, it just reappears somewhere else in the school if you do that."

"I see. The reason I mention this is because this morning in the Archery range I saw another one just like it." Shirou explained. "Only it was a lot bigger. I'm thinking that if all the decoys were like this one-"

Vivio finished the phrase "-then the one in the Archery range could be the nexus point. Why didn't you say anything earlier?"

"I didn't know what the field did until just now." Shirou said. "And I didn't want to be overheard in case the field let somebody do that."

"Wait. You detected the field so fast but you didn't know what it did?" Rin asked the boy, showing minute signs of her beginning to lose her cool.

Shirou shook his head. "I can detect distortions in the natural order of things, not actual magical energy." He volunteered. This only seemed to incense the black haired girl even further, though it only showed as a tick in her eyebrow.

"Fighting right now will only turn the students into potential casualties," Vivio noted. "If we wait until the clubs go home before taking down the field, the students won't get used as hostages."

"Then we'll do that," Rin said with finality. "You don't mind if I watch the Archery Club practice, Shirou?"

"No problem," Shirou answered. "Anyone can watch the practice as long as they don't interrupt it. The school wants to encourage people to join or support the club since we won all those tournaments last year."

"Well, our school got quite famous because of that, so it's only natural that they want to continue that tradition," Rin said. "I heard you even got a dan rank after a tournament?"

"Those are just rumors," Shirou refuted. "I just got complimented by some of people in the public." They were actually some of the judges who also worked as judges on the highest level dan ranking examinations, and their praise hadn't been small, but Shirou hadn't known that. And he would have preferred to avoid the praise if he'd known.

"In any case, we are done here," Rin said. "Let's meet again later. Good bye." With that, the girl left the roof, avoiding all the traps she had set in the meantime.

"Alright." Shirou said. "Good bye Rin."

"See you later, Rin!" Vivio exclaimed, finally speaking after letting the other two teens talk.

"Saber?" Shirou prompted the Servant.

"Archer was a few blocks away with his bow out," she explained. Shirou nodded.

"So," Vivio began saying. "You two are using each other's first name, already."

"I- We are?" Shirou asked. "I didn't notice," he said as he tapped a finger on his chin.

Shaking her head with a mock rueful smile, Vivio spoke, "if you're done with your food, let's go find Sakura. I heard that she was looking for us before class."

"Alright, just let me finish here," Shirou said.

After Shirou finished his food, the three of them went off to find Matou Sakura, but they didn't find the girl in any of the places they went to. After checking up the Archery range and her classroom, they finally gave up on finding her before classes begun again. Hurrying back, they returned to their own classroom in time to hear the bell ring and signal the end of the lunch period, after which the teacher entered the room.

The class passed by slowly, as if acknowledging the presence of the bounded field in the background gave it a greater foothold into Shirou's and Vivio's senses. Saber was a picture perfect student, studiously taking notes on the topic of the class without looking even the least bit distracted, even if Shirou knew that she was probably looking out for the enemy Master or Servant that had put the students in danger.

Shirou eventually managed to focus himself on class and focus on his work, pushing the murderous bounded field to the back of his mind. But even though it helped, he couldn't help but notice how the rest of the class seemed to squirm lethargically in place, or how even the teacher seemed less focused in his lecture than usual.

The final bell came far later than any of them expected, but they wasted no time in getting up and leaving their seats. Several classmates approached them to talk or just to hang out, but they were able to excuse themselves without much difficulty. However, they couldn't move too fast, since the halls were still full of the students that were leisurely leaving the school. Or perhaps lethargically was a better world, since they were still being affected by the field around the school.

They walked side by side in a relaxed silence, ignoring the stares and whispers directed at them. Shirou and Vivio were popular among the populace of the school, and Saber was a beautiful foreigner, so it was normal for them to be stared at from afar. At the same time, all three of them were also used to it, and were able to ignore it in favor of mentally preparing for the confrontation that would come when, or if, the Master or Servant responsible for the field reacted to their planned destruction of the field.

However, trouble found them before they reached the archery range. In their path, a boy with dark wavy hair and a smirk on a face that was filled with an indistinct mix of arrogance and pride stood alone in the way to the range, content with waiting for them to come closer. When they got close enough, he finally spoke. "Vivio! I've got something to ask you." Sparing a glance filled with a complex expression at Shirou and Saber, he continued. "Alone."

"Please don't address me with such familiarity, Matou-san." Vivio responded, sounding offended while talking in a polite tone. Shinji's expression flinched at the rebuke, but he looked ready to persevere.

"I'll go ahead to open the clubhouse. Vivio?" Shirou asked, but not before glancing meaningfully at Saber.

"I'll go with you. If you have anything to say, I'm sure that it can wait until the Archery clubs is done, Matou-san." Vivio told Shinji. With his smirk finally falling off his face, it was replaced by a scowl that took away any notice of good looks of his face.

"It can't wait," Shinji insisted, taking a step towards Vivio. Saber immediately steeped between them and put the tip of her wooden practice blade in his throat, still inside the fabric she had enveloped it with.

"Don't." She warned him frostily. Her glare was like a physical pressure that forced the student several steps back, his scowl twisted in partially concealed fear. Unseen to everyone else, a spirit jumped back to his side. Saber's glare slid over to it before she lowered her training sword and returned to Vivio's and Shirou's side.

Shinji glared impotently at the three before turning around in a huff, only to see Tohsaka Rin and Mitsuzuri Ayako exiting the main building of the school and walking towards the archery range. When the two girls ignored him and walked around him, the boy's hands tightened into fists at his side before he stormed away.

"That was odd," Shirou commented. "But I still have to open the range."

A small group of students, all members of the Archery club, had stopped around the commotion. Seeing this, Shirou hurried to unlock and open the range, followed by all the people from the club that ad already arrived. He had exchanged glances with Saber and Vivio after she had confronted the student, but they hadn't spoken a word of what had happened.

As Shirou and the rest of the members from the Archery club began to practice, split into groups by seniority in the club and skill, while Vivio, Rin and Saber sat on some chairs that had been placed in the archery building for spectators at some point, along with a pair of first year girls that sat at the other end of the row of seats. Meanwhile Ayako and Shirou were seamlessly taking turns in giving instructions to the various club members, guiding them through the warm up.

"The boy that bothered you had a Servant with him, Vivio." Saber said as soon as they sat, taking care to keep her voice from reaching other people.

"Did you know what class the Servant was, Saber?" The blonde girl asked.

"I think it was a Rider, or an Assassin," the Servant said after a moment's pause. The Servants belonging to the knight class were already identified, and the huge Servant of the Einzbern could only be a Berserker. Furthermore, a Caster most likely wouldn't be in the front lines where they could be discovered by other Servants and defeated outside their own territory.

"Wait, are you saying that Matou is a master?" Rin asked, somewhat incredulous.

"There was an astralized Servant with him." Saber said. "In the last war there was a master that used an ally as a decoy Master, and another who split the Command Seals and the prana connection between him and his ally."

"You remember previous summonings? That's impossible," Rin said, shocked. "Servant's shouldn't be able to remember other times you've been summoned."

Saber didn't react, and Vivio decided to ignore the tangent, and instead asked. "So Matou-san is the one that put the barrier on the school?"

Rin answered, "Yes. The spirit that Saber saw must have been his Servant. He's not a magus, but he's the kind of person that'd try to do something so repulsive, so I can believe that he'd do something as awful as placing this field on a school."

This time, Saber spoke, "not necessarily. It is also possible for a Master to use another Master as a decoy Master until their usefulness comes to an end."

"So you think that someone else is making him do this?" Vivio asked. "It does seem a little foolhardy to set up a spell that while you're still at ground zero," she commented.

"If it's a Bounded Field," Saber said, "it could be designed to avoid affecting him, or maybe being the Master grants him protection from its effects. If there is a real mastermind and that person realizes that there is more than one enemy Master that could be targeted simultaneously by activating the field, then it would be logical for a villain to strike and eliminate as many enemies as possible, without regard for anyone who dies in the process. We should consider attacking before any innocent bystanders are put in danger."

"Matou-san isn't the kind of person who follows orders well," Rin said. "But if he really is the Master and he isn't a magus, then he needs as many people as possible to be in the school when he activates the Bounded Field. Luckily we have until tomorrow to-"

Rin's voice died in her mouth. The main seal of the bounded field, invisible to all who didn't possess magic, glowed an ominous red in an otherwise empty wall. The people with Magic Circuits could feel an invisible pressure as the air filled with a murderous intent, while the world took a muted red tint, like it was bathed in blood. The people without any kind of magic fell down to the ground like sacks of meat.

Rin, Saber and Vivio were on their feet and shielding themselves from the Bounded Field in a flash, but everyone else in the room was already on the floor or still falling down, bar Shirou who was holding Mitsuzuri in his arms and some of the people who'd fallen on other people and on the various objects around. But Shirou's gaze wasn't on the girl in his arms, it was directing a pleading look at Vivio.

Saber didn't stay in place. Before anyone could do anything, she had exchanged her school uniform and wooden sword for her armor and invisible weapon. Without a word, she had covered the distance between her and Shirou to stand between him and the glowing magic circle in the wall. Shirou's head moved to follow her then, but he only noticed that something was wrong the moment that the wall of the Archery room exploded to pieces.

He hugged Mitsuzuri's body to his own more tightly to him in response, but Saber was able to prevent any debris from hitting the Captain and Vice-Captain of the Archery Club. The Bounded Field that was pressing down everyone abruptly fell to pieces as soon as the wall its nexus was on was destroyed, but it was swiftly replaced by the purple tint of the barriers used by the Bureau.

Rin looked at Vivio in surprise. A magic symbol shaped like a triangle had appeared below the blonde's feet instants before a purple spherical bounded field appeared between hero open hands and expanded at the rate of an explosion. Every time the field touched one of the unconscious students, they disappeared, with the single exception of Ayako, who was laid on the ground by Shirou and vanished when the boy touched her forehead.

"What was that?" The black haired magus demanded.

"A Barrier," Vivio answered. "It will contain the damage to this place, without any witnesses."

Rin bit back a retort. It was not the time.

"Archer, can you come?" She asked through their connection.

"Lancer was also caught in the Bounded Field, Rin," came the measured response from the red clad Servant. "I'm moving to intercept."

Speaking out loud, Rin turned to Vivio. "Lancer got caught in your Bounded Field, but Archer is intercepting him." What the magus wanted to know the most was if Vivio had done that on an accident or if she'd planned to take Archer out of the equation from the beginning, but she knew better than to ask. Instead, what she was going to say died in her mouth when a roar filled the Archery Range.

Behind the wall that had been destroyed was a giant. Standing taller than anything inside the Archery range, the giant dominated the room without an effort. Its mere breathing was loud enough to make it hard to think, and its enormous muscles promised doom to anything that became its target. The giant carried an Axe-Sword made of stone that stood taller than normal people, and weighted far more than one.

Saber pointed her invisible blade at the general direction of the giant with her expression frozen in a determined frown, her muscles tensed in preparation for the coming combat. The continuous roaring, huge muscles, crude weapon, maddened panting and lack of any actual armor of the Servant before her told her that it belonged to the Berserker Class without a doubt. She clearly remembered that the last time she fought a Servant of that class, she'd achieved victory through pure luck. The emotional impact of the fight had made that kind of detail much clearer in hindsight.

This time, she aimed to win in straightforward battle against Berserker, treating him as if he was just as skilled in battle like the last enemy of this class she had faced. With this in mind, she took the initiative and jumped forwards towards the giant, only to stop and plant herself long enough to parry a diagonal downwards chop that cratered the ground of the building. She used that opening to step forwards and swing her sword towards the taller Servant's neck, only for the surprisingly fast reverse swing to force her to jump back out of range.

Of course, the other Servant didn't just allow her to widen the distance between them and chased her, but she was marginally faster. When the mad Servant swung his giant ax-sword in an arc Saber rolled under the blow and came up to strike him, but their weapons clashed instead. Despite the powerful forces involved, neither Servant moved an inch. Both clashes had happened in less than half a second.

For the three humans that were still in the out-building, the short clash had felt like two bombs had gone off almost simultaneously. And while Shirou and Vivio had been partially protected from the shock wave by their Barrier Jackets, Rin had no such thing to protect her from the busted eardrums and mild impact, having expected no such thing from her experience with Lancer and Archer's battle in the school the previous night. Even so, the three of them unanimously decided to get out of the building.

Several explosions shook the walls and the ceiling of the building, the clash of the powerful combatants great enough to crater the ground and open wide gouges on the roof and walls. The holes allowed the building to vent some of the pressure generated by the clashing Servants, but by giving air a somewhat stable if dynamic shape. A system of localized high and low pressure spots formed, threatening to bring the building down on their heads.

"We've got to find the Servant that made the Bounded Field!" Rin yelled over the sounds of battle. "If we let it go, then whoever is in charge will make it target normal humans!"

Shirou looked like he wanted to answer, but instead he jumped off to the side. Vivio did the same in the opposite direction after grabbing Rin, barely managing to dodge an invisible restraining spell that jailed the spot they were standing at in the ground. Shirou and Vivio didn't actually communicate their plan. Rather, both of their reactions accurately predicted and took into account each other's reaction.

Shirou was the first to see the apparent cause for the spell. And seeing the identity of the perpetrator he couldn't help but exclaim, "Kuzuki-Sensei!"

And indeed, the stoic teacher was charging at Shirou at incredible speeds. During his involuntary exclamation Shirou had lowered his blade, making him look wide open against any attack that his charging teacher would use. However, he was repeating the tactic he had used back when he arrived at the school almost two full days back, lowering the tip of his blade to the ground to cast a defensive spell.

"
    「斷空」
    Split Sky
    ," Shirou proclaimed, settling into a stance that would allow him to react quickly to any change in the battlefield.

Less than a second later, the teacher's strike was blocked by a slab of compacted ground stronger than rock that nonetheless was broken by the impact it received. The biggest piece of debris broken off the defensive wall was sent hurtling in Shirou's general direction and managed to score a glancing hit on his waist. However, when the teacher attempted to break off to attack from another angle he found that the ground in a perfect circle all around him also rose to impede him.

Instead of casting the defensive spell around himself, like he had the previous night, Shirou had cast it on the ground around his teacher in order to trap him. Pointing his sword at the suit clad teacher warily, he nodded in Vivio's direction. The blonde girl then took Rin's arm and pulled her forwards with her as Kuzuki-sensei got completely surrounded by the walls and as the Archery building finally gave out before the might of Saber's and Berserker's battle.

"Let's go, we've got to get out of the open," Vivio said as she urged the other girl forward.

"But Kuzuki-sensei isn't a magus," Rin pointed out, trying to keep up with the other girl's running speed. "The one that enhanced him must have been close. Even a Caster can't cast something so difficult from too far, and we're going into a building filled with potential hiding places."

When Vivio slowed down to a standstill, Rin thought for a second that she had convinced the other girl against entering the building, until the empty air in the entrance of the school building ceased to be uninhabited in favor of welcoming a tall woman with long purple hair. Almost immediately Vivio corrected herself, because before the individual before her wasn't exactly a human woman. She was tall, dressed in a tight black leather short dress and long leather boots with purple highlights, blindfolded and even sporting a sigil tattooed on her forehead, she was undoubtedly a Servant.

Vivio's advantage in combat had always been her uncanny instincts, which granted her the kind of awareness in battle that other people would need decades in combat to train. And those same instincts told her that in a fight against the woman in front of her, she was not going to win. But she could delay her for a few seconds, minutes if she was very lucky. Or at least outmaneuver her a single time.

The purple headed servant did not speak however, it was a person somewhere within the school, hidden from sight. Despite that, Vivio and Rin both recognized the voice from the first word, "kill them, Rider!"

And it was at that moment that Vivio made her move. When the blonde rushed forward at her maximum speed, Rider didn't even shift her stance. And when she was close enough to hit the Servant with a punch, the woman instead used a short knife at the end of a chain and punched her straight through the heart. Or so it seemed. The illusionary silhouette that Vivio had sent forward passed through Rider like a ghost and immediately jumped up, unimpeded by the floor of the next floor.

When her strike was ineffective, Rider dismissed the illusion as a distraction and looked over the grounds of the school, to where Rin and Vivio had landed safely a good distance away from where they'd been. But instead of rushing after them, the Servant began walking towards them in a deceptively slow ground eating stride that was far more intimidating that just charging in would have been.

At that moment, Sacred Heart's voice come from Vivio's body. "「Contact Mode」" A faint flash was emitted from her Barrier Jacket, signaling the successful mode shift to her most powerful defensive state. It involved dedicating every ounce of magical energy and processing power that Sacred Heart had into strengthening Vivio's defenses, leaving everything else, like flight or offensive spells, disabled. Like with most spells that Vivio had known since she was young, that one had only grown stronger as she aged and trained.

In the middle of the school's grounds there was another fight going. Or rather, the fight was happening above it. At some moment while Rin hadn't been paying attention the situation had changed dramatically. Kuzuki-sensei was still trapped in a wall that prevented him from moving away. Before the eyes of the Japanese magus, the defensive spell activated and created a curving wall that prevented the teacher from jumping away.

But Shirou wasn't occupied with his trapped teacher. Instead, he was flying in the air, exchanging magical attacks with a hooded person of indeterminate age, who was firing bolts and lances of magical energy that were skillfully dodged by the red headed magus. The sword in his hand had been exchanged for a metallic solid bow that he was carrying in his off hand, while he used his free hand to direct some of his own shooting spells in some direction.

It looked like a stalemate. While it could take many of the teen's spells to defend from a single one of the Caster class Servant -and she was sure that the other figure in the air had to be a Servant- sometimes two of the opposing magical attacks collided in the air and dispelled. Furthermore, the boy had to defend from only a small fraction from than what Caster was firing, because in the air he was far faster and maneuverable than the Servant.

But Rin wasn't about to bet on Shirou overcoming a Caster class Servant using magic, aerial combat or not. She looked around the school, trying to find anything she could do, when she saw a slab of rock, floating in the air between Caster and the general region where Vivio was using some kind of short ranged high speed movement spell to keep away from Rider. She was somehow withstanding powerful blows enough to retreat and leading the Servant in a merry chase, but Rin could see that using so much magic was beginning to put a stain on her body.

Before her eyes, she saw Shirou use a spell visually similar to what Vivio was using to close in to Caster and fire an arrow point blank. The resulting explosion managed to create a cloud of dust that prevented Rin from seeing what was happening, until Shirou came out of the cloud in a way that suggested that he had just attempted to punch Caster. Rather than be satisfied with that, one of Shirou's feet began glowing bright as the boy swung around in a spinning back kick that dispersed the dust but missed hitting the Servant. Caster had flown back to avoid the attack, and was clearly casting a spell that would either hit too hard or too fast for Shirou to defend in time.

The boy mage seemed to decide that staying close was against his best interests, and again used a high speed mystery to reappear closer to the ground but still facing Caster. The Servant decided against casting a single spell at that distance, knowing from experience that the boy would be able to dodge at that range. But she knew that by having put himself close to the ground, the youth had closed off many retreat options to himself. As she was casting spells, preparing to flood the area the boy was in with enough spells to make dodging impossible, Caster swooped down to box the boy in an even smaller area.

Just as Shirou had planned.

"Saber!" He yelled. "Now!"

The blonde Servant seemed to have been expecting the command because as soon as Shirou began speaking, she used both her own strength, the wind around her blade and the angle of her strike to send Berserker up in the air. The mad giant was unharmed by the maneuver, but he was unable to propel himself meaningfully and would be at the mercy of gravity until he touched the ground again. Knowing that her window of opportunity was short, Saber flew in a straight line that went past Caster and ended up where Rider was at the moment.

Caster had also heard the command and attempted to break off, but she had been committed to her course of action and she could only twist her body to minimize the wound that the passing Saber put on her torso. But that wasn't all, by any means. The whole plan had been to line up the two Servants the humans were fighting so that Saber could deal a surprise attack that would injure them enough to drive them off or make them weak enough that surviving them was manageable. Shirou had told this to both Saber and Vivio using telepathy, and then had spent the rest of his fight trying to set it up.

The problem had been that Caster was flying in the air and very unlikely to return to the ground, so Saber needed a way to quickly return to the ground and go after Rider once she had cut Caster. Knowing that, Shirou had levitated and directed a slab of rock from the archery building's roof so that Saber could use it as a platform to jump back down swiftly, and then informed Saber.

At that moment, Shinji was sent through a window in the second floor, breaking through the glass and spinning in the air until he fell on the ground on his left shoulder with a nasty crack and a pained scream. The boy laid crumpled on the ground, but he was in the right position to see Saber strike Rider and send her hurtling into the school building, crashing through several walls. A splatter of blood fell on the ground where the two Servants met, but Saber managed to avoid getting even a single drop of blood on her person.

Seeing Rider being struck down so easily, Shinji's expression twisted in anger and he yelled at the leather clad woman, "you worthless Servant! At least kill someone you useless thing!"

Nothing seemed to happen for a couple of seconds except for Saber rocketing back towards Berserker, who had been held floating a foot above the ground thanks to a levitation spell cast by Vivio. Saber stopped midway to her destination when a pulse of power and a bright light came from the place where Rider had been flung into. In an instant, everybody present, except probably for Berserker, realized that the only person who was visible from where Rider had been thrown was Souichirou Kuzuki, still pinned in place by Shirou's defensive spell.

Shirou reflexively released the spell, making the raised walls around the history teacher crumble to dust and allowing the teacher to jump to the side and away from a white comet of light that passed through the place he had been a fraction of a second earlier. The bright white line of light curved upwards, revealing that the white light had only been the trail of something so bright that it hid anything that could be seen inside almost perfectly.

"You dare!" Caster said between gasps from her place in the ground, her voice magically amplified. The servant was glaring hatefully at Shinji before muttering something between her teeth. In response, Shinji's arm began glowing with an ominous purple light and began raising higher and higher in the air, to the point where it lifted the boy off the ground altogether before leaving him there dangling like a puppet.

Shinji wasn't moving his free arm beyond a few twitches that made him moan in pain, and with good reason. The shoulder holding him in the air wasn't the one on which he had fallen earlier, but it had been left immobilized by his awkward position while his other arm was most likely broken by the fall from the a floor up. Coupled with that, the most he could do with his free arm was make it move a couple of inches before the pain made him stop. With his legs swinging uselessly below him, the boy could only twist his head to stare at the limb that was holding him aloft.

It was at that moment that Shirou realized what Caster was doing. But by then, it was already far too late for him to do anything. Even though he immediately flew at Shinji and tried to think of something to do, all he managed to do was stare at the fear in Sakura's brother eyes as the light on the other boy's arm flashed and then moved down sharply to cut through his own neck.

Shirou's feet hit the ground with a solid thump by the other master's side, only to see the body and head of the other boy go up in purple flames as soon as he landed. Turning back to Caster, he only managed to see a shadow envelop both the Servant and her Master before they vanished with it into the air. Returning his gaze back to Shinji's remains, he saw as the body had been quickly consumed by the flames until there was nothing left.

For a moment Shirou was left at a loss of what to do. But his body acted out of reflex, turning towards Berserker and falling into a defensive stance. That is when he saw her. The same red eyed, white haired and purple clad little girl from the market. The one that Saber had called a Master.

"You're very skilled, onii-chan," the girl complimented. "The Traveler must have taught you well."

Shirou stared at the white haired girl uncomprehendingly. "Who?"

A short glance to the side at Vivio revealed that she didn't know anything about it, either. Rin didn't say anything and nothing showed on her face, but it was clear that she wanted answers. Shirou turned back to the white haired little girl, the question plain on his face. “I don’t really keep up with other magecraft users.”

Seeing that Illyasviel still looked unconvinced, Shirou elaborated, "my father barely taught me the most basic things about magecraft and its world, but if there’s one thing that he made clear is that groups of magi are like minefields and that finding magi who I could come to like or respect was almost impossible, so I should just keep my distance.”

The girl wearing a purple hat didn't look happy at that, but she seemed to stop dismissing his words on principle. "Even in the last corner of Earth there's no guarantee that you won't be found, onii-chan. Your father made many enemies, after all."

"I already know what I plan to do with my life," Shirou responded after a small shrug. “And it will keep me away from magi unless they threaten the secrecy of magecraft."

Illyasviel was silent for a moment, before she asked with a subtly mocking tone. "So what did you learn magecraft for, gambling? Acting? Someone like the Traveler won't take a student without a good reason."

"Are you talking about Yuuno-sensei? I've never heard of anyone called the Traveler," Shirou said.

"The Traveler is just what people call him, he never gave a name," Illyasviel explained. "He is also the only person known to cast a barrier as big or as strong as this one," she finished, gesturing to the purple tinted ruins of the school. "And unless he's here and hiding, he must have taught you how to cast one."

"My teacher taught me almost all the magic I know, but I'm not very good at casting barriers," Shirou admitted. It was as a silent admission that Vivio was the one most likely to have done so, since the Tohsaka family magic couldn't and Vivio was his ally.

"If it’s like that, I guess I can forgive you for not showing up last night, onii-chan. So I won't kill you today," Illyasviel said carelessly, making her careless words sound even more terrifying. Nobody seemed to know how to react as Berserker carefully, almost gently, picked her up and sat her on his shoulder.

"Bye! You can call me Illya if you want!" Illyasviel said, waving at Shirou with all the innocence of a little kid. The ease with which she could talk about killing and possibly commit the act was more than a little unsettling, but the redhead had a question.

"Wait!" He yelled. Obligingly, Illyasviel stopped and turned on her seat to see him. "Why do people know my teacher? What happened?"

"You really are kept in the dark, aren’t you?" Illyasviel said with an odd tone that Shirou couldn't decipher. "The Traveler is the Twelfth Dead Apostle Ancestor.”

“What?”

The explanation was so unexpected that Shirou didn't think of stopping Illyasviel from leaving. Thankfully, he was not alone.

"Yuuno-sensei is not a vampire," Vivio said with such conviction that Shirou wondered why he'd thought otherwise for even an instant.

It was Rin who answered. "Not all Ancestors are vampires. Some of them are beings that killed one and that no dead apostle is willing to cross, or powerful beings that drink blood."

“Wait!” Shirou said. “Will somebody please explain when did this Traveler fight a vampire, how did anyone find out how it happened?”

It was Illyasviel who answered. Even though she was almost outside the school, in the near perfect silence of the barrier she didn’t have to raise her voice to be heard clearly across the distance. “The twelfth was circling around a detachment from the Clock Tower through the countryside, but when he got within ten kilometers from the nearest inhabited state he was caught in a bounded field that killed him in an instant. The fastest kill of a Dead Apostle Ancestor on record.”

And then she left without another word.

Shirou turned to look at Rin, prepared to ask her what she knew about the situation with the ancestor, but she was staring to the side, looking at the distance where the sun’s bright light could be seen in a giant hemisphere that towered above the buildings.

“Archer and Lancer are still fighting?” Vivio asked.

“Yes,” Rin admitted. “From what I understand, Archer has confirmed Lancer’s identity after surviving his Noble Phantasm, but it seems like their clash damaged the barrier and they had to stop on account of all the witnesses. Lancer is trying to return to the barrier to keep fighting”

“Barriers don’t act like that,” Vivio said. “Either they remain whole, or they are broken. It shouldn’t be possible for a hole to just appear in one like that.” But even as she said that, she dropped the Barrier and allowed it to vanish completely. There was no point to keeping it up if it was no longer necessary.

Rin looked on as the damage dealt to the school building seemed to vanish with the barrier, leaving them standing in the middle of the school’s courtyard. A group of students that were joking around among themselves walked around the three magical teens while ignoring them like they were invisible. Saber stood to the side, once again clad in the uniform that Shirou had given her. Shirou could see the grass on their clothes, as if they had been lying on the ground a short time ago.

“Captain Emiya!” Came a shout from the side. When they turned to see who it was, they saw Mitsuzuri still clad in the uniform of the Archery team waving at them. “Are you alright?” The vice-captain asked when she got close enough. “I didn’t expect whoever was behind those gas attacks to target a school, but everyone in the Archery club was still lying on the floor when I came out to find you. Did they get you too, Captain?”

“We’re alright, Mitsuzuri,” Shirou answered, visibly placating the other girl.

Without missing a bit, Rin added “we were just trying to find the place from where the gas came, since it looked like we weren’t affected by it like everyone else. This was after trying to wake you, of course.”

“After a while everyone seemed to wake up, so we were just on our way back,” Vivio mentioned. Saber had walked over to stand beside Shirou, opposite from Vivio who was on his left.

With that, the group returned to the Archery building to tend to the other members. It seemed like they were uninjured and merely unconscious, since the bounded field used by Shinji’s Servant had only lasted a few seconds. The fact that those few seconds had been enough to knock out almost everyone in the school was terrifying enough.

While Shirou and Mitsuzuri continued leading the day’s practice of the Archery Club, Vivio managed to convince Rin of following them home to answer a few questions on Illyasviel’s parting shot, while Saber kept a watchful eye on Archer’s invisible form.

At the temple on top of the mountain, a Witch cared for a teacher.

Guarding them both from the gates of the temple, a guardian stood unnoticed and vigilant.

At the church on the outskirts of the city, a Priest cut a connection to a familiar and leaned back to ponder the situation.

Walking away from the school building, the Master of Berserker and her invisible Servant met up with her maids, who had been searching for her and who had made a straight line for the bounded field that had contained the Servant battles.

As it roamed the city in spirit form a spirit hungered for the conclusion of the battle it had just been in, delaying its return to its Master.

On a raised balcony, a smile crossed the face of the king who stared at the battlefield like it one stared at a rotten log that had just sprouted an orchid.

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 5

Glossary:

Split Sky (斷空): A bounded field in Earth's nomenclature, and a field enchantment in the Bureau's, Split Sky turns a relatively small section of the ground around Shirou into a powerful automatic defense that allows him to prepare spells with longer casting times. The spell is first prepared by Lotus Blade, and then applied to the ground by touching it with any part of the sword, usually the tip, and enchanting a section of the ground with a radius similar to Shirou's height.

The enchanted ground will then act independently from Shirou to defend him against attacks from all directions, even from above and below. Although it has a surprisingly low cost to cast (equivalent to C or B rank spells of the Mid Childa magic style), it has to be carefully tailored to the user or the enchantment will also attack the caster. For this reason, it is also useful as a trap spell, or an area denial one, as the spell be maintained indefinitely with a proper source of energy or half an hour, if it is not attacked.

Now onto the proper author’s note. It’s been months. If not a year. I began a Master’s in physics, which took a lot of the time I had been using to write, and several sections got rewritten at least a dozen times or got left untouched for weeks while I tried to imagine the best way of writing what I wanted to happen.

That said, I do plan to continue this fic, and I hope that the next chapter won’t take another year to publish. It will probably be at least a month, though.

Again, I hope that you come with me with your comments, suggestions, complaints and questions. Good bye!
    Last edited by lethum; November 6th, 2020 at 10:01 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors gwonbush's Avatar
    Well, that escalated quickly.

On a more serious note, the battle felt like an unnecessary mess, with more combatants jumping in than it felt like there should be.
    Last edited by gwonbush; January 23rd, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    I am of the personal belief that the Tsukihime Remake is two years from release. It will remain as such until a release date is announced, at which time its actual release date is 6 months after that date.

US Friend Code
    Very glad to see this updated, but I have to admit I was lost for most of the update trying to remember what happened earlier in the store.

Well I guess that just means I will have to reread it from the beginning. (Woe is me)

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    Well, that escalated quickly.

On a more serious note, the battle felt like an unnecessary mess, with more combatants jumping in than it felt like there should be.
    I agree that it was a clusterfuck, but dunno, it really felt like a free-for-all, and that's what a grail war is, in theory. The fact that Shirou and Rin always end allying not-withstanding, of course, because they don't exactly plan for that.

Anyway, now I'm interested in how the hell Yuuno managed to kill a DAA. If anything, because as far as I know, he is one of the worst mages in the Nanohaverse when it comes to offense, and because a DAA isn't something you can casually kill.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Blog Entries
    The thing with the DAA wasn't a fight, actually. It was closer to committing suicide in an MMORPG by killing the wifi through turning on your microwave while you were in the middle of a fight. The barrier Yuuno cast when he noticed the Ancestor interfered with the method that the vampire used to prolong its life, and as a result, it died. It's just that nobody (other than... a spoiler) has any hard data on what happened, so they err on the side of caution, since they are dealing with DAA. Also, since the last time an Ancestor died anywhere this fast, the culprit was the Ultimate of Mercury the only similar situation they have to compare to urges them to be cautious.

In canon, Yuuno promised himself something to the effect of being there for Nanoha and defend/protecting her. He had a source of information more complete than any encyclopedia on Earth (free or not) with sources from dozens of planets, all of which probably produce as much information (on all topics) daily as Earth. He has plenty of very skilled friends with irregular schedules who can drop by and spar or help him practice on both their free rime. And is his own boss. Not to mention that he is no longer nine.

Topping that, in the fic he has been trying to train the Reborn Saint Kaiser and the guy with the potential to train himself to manifest a Reality Marble while saving as many people as he could while alone, to be ready and relatively safe in a place that according to Kiritsugu's descriptions contains things like ORT, Primate Murder, Zeltrech, Aoko, Barthomeloi, Dead Apostles and the Grail. Of course, for everything he taught each of his students, there was at least one thing he learnt from them, or during the research necessary to teach or help teach them something.

In short, he's kinda like Lara Croft, Angus MacGyver or Indiana Jones in worlds where everyone has magic: He's not necessarily the best fighter, but he is more than competent and he has the support skills that lets him take things to the next level. Or to use another fandom as a reference, he is an unarmed Master level fighter in a place where almost every other Master level fighter has a weapon.

Not that he expects Shirou or Vivio to do anything other than run away (from the dimension if they have to) if they meet any of the heavy weights from the nasuverse, but the bar he is using to measure Vivio no longer has Nanoha, Fate or Hayate at the top, but people like the Servant versions of King Arthur, Alexander the Great and so on.

On another note, since at least one person showed some skepticism on why so may the characters showed up to fight, here is a rough outline of the logic that involved the combatants that got mixed up in the battle at the school:

• Rin, Shirou and Vivio were going to school. So Saber and Archer were already in the school. Everyone saw what they did once the battle began.
    • Without Shirou (or Vivio) in the school, Shinji decided to set up the Blood Fort Earlier. With the Blood Fort closer to completion than in canon, and having just been snubbed by Vivio and dismissed by Rin and Ayako (and Saber Veronica), he jumped the gun to catch them inside.
    • Illya was looking for Shirou since she hadn't fought with him the night before as in Fate or UBW, and she knew that he went to Homurabara and captained the Archery Club, so she was close when the barrier went up. She was, in fact, close enough to notice the nexus rune of the Blood Fort and to have Berserker destroy it in a second before closing in herself on foot.
    • Lancer was skulking around the school, having correctly guessed that with the high number of Servants in one place a fight was bound to break out, but he was close enough for Archer to notice both him and Berserker. Rin was communicating mentally with Archer, and she sent him after Lancer when her Servant had her choose. Dutifully, Archer went and intercepted Lancer on away from the school, but close enough to break away for a second and provide some minor fire support for the other battle.
    • Caster was keeping a very close eye on Kuzuki, and immediately teleported to him when the Blood Fort went up, since it would have gobbled Kuzuki up. When the barrier went up and the Servants began fighting, she and Kuzuki had to decide whether to leave or to stay and perhaps strike an opportunity target. They went for the later, even if it was riskier and failed for the most part. Though both of them are still alive, and now Caster knows that Kuzuki isn't squeamish when it comes to killing enemies, he is just an (ex)assassin who takes his new job as a teacher seriously. They decided to go after the humans/Masters, splitting them up to prevent them from supporting one another.
    • Gilgamesh noticed the Blood Fort, the barrier and the battle from a privileged position on an exclusive balcony bar, thanks to a whim and thus his own stupendous luck.

With all those people, and with a mental OVA of Shinji's death in my mind, I designed the battle. After writing it down, I noticed that as I had written it, the whole battle would have taken a few minutes, at most, so the characters went back to their civilian roles to maintain the masquerade. It helped that Ayako (and both unwittingly and indirectly, Caster) gave them a credible excuse on a silver platter. But the next chapter will deal with the fallout.
    Last edited by lethum; January 27th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Mmm, I see. I would have prefered to read that about Yuuno in story, to be honest (mine was a rethorical question), but that's interesting. I keep forgetting that there is more than bombardment and barrier spells in the Nanohaverse (I'd blame Nanoha, but she can do a bit more than that, so I'll blame Hayate instead). No, wait. What I keep forgetting is that there is more to the Nanohaverse than brute force. So I withdraw my words, I blame Nanoha.

Now, let's see how they deal with Shinji's death/dissaparition. And just to be sure, yes, it is another rethorical question, please, don't spoil us, lethum ^^U

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Awwww.... I want more Steel Nerves but....this one is okay.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Blog Entries
    01-Love's Lovely Ranger Land: Please join the Self-Defense Force
    02-Legendary Heroes War: Pay one catalyst and 10 mana to place the Servant Card in the field
    03-Tactical Magical Espionage Action: Of Sit-Rep, Op-Sec, Fall-Back and Infiltration
    04-Place of Learning: Actually the Place where Battles Happen
    05-The Witch of Betrayal: A Love Letter to All Her Followers

Swordcraft Knight Rhapsody Shirou
    The Witch of Betrayal: A Love Letter to All Her Followers

The Three Aces were already modern legends in Mid Childa. Their stories had been told many times in various mediums, and even officers of the TSAB would discount the official documentation in favor of their personal version. Their fame wasn’t overwhelming, but with every accomplishment they gained believers in their legend.

It was from such fame that, in the minds of the populace of the TSAB in general and the entertainment industry in particular, the world where two out of three of the Aces had lived and grown up in had ceased to be a real place. It was closer to myth and inhabited by legends and fantasies as fictional as anything related to the lost world of Alhazard. It didn't help that Earth, like a handful of other worlds, was a candidate for the birthplace of humanity according to archeology and fossil records. Not that the Dimensional Sea made it easy to find convincing proof from where mages had spread to all inhabited space.

Takamachi Nanoha, Fate Testarossa Harlown and Yagami Hayate were not truly aware of their fame. They thought themselves celebrities, not history or legend. They didn’t grasp the full extent of how their fame had been adopted into the culture of the people in worlds that kept open contact with the Time Space Administration Bureau. Naturally there was a huge gap between how the government, neighbors, enemies and friends treated them when compared with how bystanders saw them.

And in truth, the three women were all busy people, and the occasions when they could all be together at outside of work were rare. However, they remained good friends and kept in contact as much as their jobs allowed, always enjoying what times they found to spend together. Their current meeting was an even rarer occasion, without any of their family or friends sharing their time with them. After all, they had no intention of excluding their precious friends and family from enjoying their time together, but they managed to find a free moment.

This time it had been Yuuno who had been instrumental in bringing them together. He had expedited Fate’s current case to help her return home early, while purposely arranging relatively free work days for both Hayate and Nanoha through some obscure bureaucratic magic. And when the three girls were finally together, he had snuck out of the house with all their wards and students for an impromptu group training session that left the three mages alone in their house with a filled pantry and no appointments in their schedules for the day. Giving them a few hours of extra relaxation in what was already a surprise vacation.

They had ended up spending their day cooking, eating and talking with and for each other, finally catching up to what each of them had been up to while they were away from each other. They were intelligent women, after all, and they had recognized the opportunity that Yuuno had arranged for them. Especially since they knew that everyone else were also together, having a good time and knowingly helping the plan along.

Being as high up in the TSAB as they were, the three of them were privy to classified information. The particulars of Fate’s tactics when she solved a case, details on the workings of the politics at the highest levels of the Bureau where Hayate played, the specifics of a combat mage that Nanoha had helped train and more was discussed. It was the kind of information that could weight on one’s soul, and the chance to discuss it candidly was rare, and to be cherished.

The three friends were allowed to reconnect on a level that they hadn’t noticed they had missed until the chance to do it returned. Later that same day, when everyone returned tired and mildly injured to the house after a long training session, they came to a spread of delicious food cooked by the three women in gratitude for the occasion that their friends and family had arranged.

Since most of the people involved were still free for a few more days, they resolved to plan a party in the Emiya residence back in Fuyuki along Fujimura Taiga, Shirou’s legal guardian and non-magical civilian from an Un-Administered World and could not be part of celebrations held anywhere else. They also made plans to visit museums, zoos, malls, parks and even watch a movie in the coming days, all to enjoy their short vacation together by all participating in activities that they enjoyed alongside their families.

“There you are!” Came a male voice from inside the house. The three aces, who had been stargazing in silence on three tanning chairs in the back garden turned almost as one to stare at the one who had spoken, the Chief Librarian of the Infinite Library.

“Vivio noticed you were missing from the movie, you know,” the man said as he walked over to them.

“We were just stargazing for a bit,” Fate explained with a soft smile.

“It’s been years since the last time the three of us just sat back like this and just relaxed for a while,” Nanoha commented. Her own smile brightening her face in the twilight of the night more than the stars and the waxing moons overhead could.

"Thank you for today, Yuuno-kun," Hayate added warmly. “Last time was when we were fifteen, I think?”

“It was everyone who made today possible,” Yuuno countered somewhat embarrassed. “I was just helping everyone organize.”

“You think I didn’t notice how you cleared these days from our schedules, Yuuno? It’s my job to notice these things, you know,” the officer of the ground forces said, wagging a finger at the librarian.

With a smile on his face, the librarian just said, “Come on you three, Vivio wants all of us with the others in the living room.”

“Help me up, Yuuno-kun?” Nanoha asked while extending her hands towards the man who immediately came closer and gently pulled the Ace of Aces to her feet. To their left, Fate stood on her own before stumbling for an instant and grabbing both of them to stay standing. And then Hayate tackled them into the ground.

“Hayate!”

“Teehee!”

Tohsaka Rin was a model student, a school idol and a powerful magus. She knew perhaps more than anyone other than a survivor from one of the past Grail Wars, how dangerous Servants could be, how far past the limits of modern humans they stood. It was for that same reason that she was feeling so intimidated by the two mages beside her.

The two mages were talking about the inner rankings of the members of the archery club. It was actually fairly juicy gossip, since Shirou's instruction and example had improved their ability to the point that even without Shirou they still would be contenders for the top spot in the country. And the victory of their team in the nationals had been the kind of zero to hero story that news networks liked to glorify.

But as interesting as that was, she was thinking about a different topic. While she still was in Middle School she had actually received a transcript from one of her family’s contacts in the Association about the conversation between the two current users of True Magic and the Traveler, a rare event that spread through the Magic Association and the supernatural as soon as it happened. Sadly it had just been a fragment of the full meeting, so there was no telling how much she had missed. The lords at the association would be monopolizing the complete version.

Yet, from what she had received in her report, an innocuous conversation on the watches, that upon a closer look revealed esoteric and yet consistently enlightening knowledge to the Tohsaka head. It had certainly helped her advance a few steps in the homework that the Kaleidoscope had left to her ancestors.

As such, she technically owed the Traveler the progress she had made in the last year, as far as the blueprints for the gem sword that the man had left her family had been concerned. And while she didn’t know if the Traveler was accepting more students, she saw that the team of Vivio, Shirou and Saber could become very valuable allies if she was to survive or win the war. The real question was how she would convince them to ally themselves with her.

Shirou alone she saw herself convincing, from what she knew of him. Since her instincts told her that Saber would agree with her in principle but defer to the decisions of her Master, she could be skipped or convinced first and then used as an ally to smooth over Shirou’s concerns.

So it could be said that the third and last, Vivio, was her enemy, or at least her greatest obstacle in getting Shirou to take her side. After all, from what the fake priest had said, she was perceptive in a way that complimented Shirou's own insights and who would naturally have his interests in mind over those of an enemy Master. She could also see right away that Rin still planned to win and cast doubt over any overtures she made towards an alliance.

Since her own designs at victory were naturally opposite of their own interests as participants in the war, she would have to find a way of convincing them to become allies so that she could avoid any following confrontation between them until the end, where she could hopefully arrange the final battle of the war to be a straightforward duel and not a treasonous stab in the back.

Since Shirou was the one she was most likely to convince, perhaps she should focus on getting him on her side. It would be beneficial for the stability of their alliance if she had Shirou as a firm supporter, so it could be said that for her the best plan was getting Shirou on her side and keeping him there. Not to mention that as the Master of Saber, he was the one who was most likely to have a final say on any alliances of the three. And it was the three of them, since she didn’t see Vivio or Shirou letting the other fight alone in the war.

While the twin tailed magus mussed privately, the cold winds of the late winter afternoon in Fuyuki filled the silence that hung between the Master of Archer and the two Servants. The horizon near the setting sun was already a mix of red skies and orange tinted clouds, while the opposite side of the sky was already various shades of dark grey and blue. A few stars managed to pierce the veil of the clouds in the sky to the East, far away from the fading light of the day even as the street lights turned on to bring light to the darkening city.

“Do you know Matou Sakura, Rin?” Came Vivio’s voice, finally ending her conversation with Shirou.

Rin answered swiftly, “I have met with her in the school, occasionally.” Not a lie, but far from the truth. She wasn’t about to simply elaborate on the private topic that would be uncovered from doing that.

“She was apparently looking for us earlier today, before classes,” Vivio explained. “But she didn’t seem to attend today.”

“You are acquainted with her?” Rin asked without doing much to hide her inquiring tone.

“Yes, since Shirou and I kind of… adopted her as our Kohai. She likes to help out in our house as thanks for the help we give her, even if her brother complained about it in the beginning.” Vivio answered while looking into her eyes, making Rin felt like the other girl was trying to stare into her soul.

“She is a good friend,” Shirou said. “But we’re here.”

Indeed, the walk from Homurabara to Shirou’s house had passed without incident. As the boy busied himself unlocking the entrance to the property, Rin noticed that at some point they had entered another Barrier, similar in some respects to the one in the school, but far more subtle in appearance. Unlike the first one she had seen or the one at school, the current one was invisible and probably undetectable from outside.

It meant that a few of Rin’s theories on what those ‘barriers’ really were had been mistaken, and that a few she had almost dismissed out of hand were more viable than it had seemed at first. She said nothing as she followed the other Homurabara students through the gate and into the living room. Without much ado, they all seemed to retake the positions they had taken on Saturday right after Lancer had escaped for parts unknown.

Rin mentally braced herself. The coming discussion could decide her fate in the war, forcing her to become enemies with the seemingly unbeatable Berserker of the Einzbern, Shirou’s equally overpowered Saber, the Caster who had sequestered herself at the temple with her worryingly skilled Master, Rider if Shinji’s death hadn’t meant her own and finally the pair of Assassin and whoever was his or her Master, who had successfully remained hidden from everyone else in the war.

A worrying prospect.

It was her life in the line. And it was Shirou who broke the silence. "Rin, what do you think of an alliance?"

Rin answered before she realized that she was speaking. "Of course I'm interested. But it would be unwise to blindly accept it without getting a few answers, you understand?"

It was Vivio who spoke next. "Of course," she said with a nod. "We were looking for an ally, actually. And after today it's pretty clear that you are the kind of ally we were hoping for."

"Good. Do you mind if I go first?" Rin asked. After getting confirmation from the other two, she continued, "Your magecraft. Where did it come from? How did you stay hidden until now?” The Japanese magus asked. It was impolite to ask another magus for the mysteries they used, but the history of their line was a palatable medium between the pride of a magus and the necessary secrecy to maintain the power of their magecraft. Not that the two behaved anything like a normal magus, but it didn’t mean that they would just spill all their secrets to her. They were still in a Grail War, after all.

“Well, you don’t start with the easy questions, do you?” Vivio asked with a tiny smile. “The magic I use is mostly the modern reengineering of a style a… relative of mine used. It was almost lost for a while, but it was rediscovered around fifteen years ago when a friend of my mother found a very thorough manual and a Mystic Code that functions almost like a crest for it."

She nodded at Rin before continuing.

"Shirou on the other hand, uses spells designed specifically for his magic," Vivio said with a smile.

"You are telling me that Shirou somehow developed his magical abilities from scratch to where they are now in the ten to thirteen years he's been learning magic?" Rin asked, demanding answers.

"Oh no!" Shirou exclaimed, shaking his head. "I don't have that kind of talent. It was my teacher who did all the hard parts. I just had to learn the spells that were already mostly refined for me and my magic by him, so I had it easy."

"That- I guess I can believe that the Traveler can do something like that, but... To literally carve a Great Ritual just to teach a single person, isn't that way too much?" Rin complained.

"A Great Ritual?" Vivio asked, sounding slightly confused.

"I don't think he did anything like that," Shirou said. "I remember something he said about that. That something unchanging as an arcane basis would lead to an inevitable degradation in the interface between the mystery and its enactment from the accumulation of entropy, maybe even creating a somewhat diffuse interference in the environment. But it boiled down to saying that I functioned as my own foundation, so I was freed from some limitations." He finished.

"Obviously," Rin said testily.

"Really?" Shirou asked.

"No. But I suppose that means he has access to a lot of answers that I don't." Rin noted with an odd look on her face.

"Don't worry," Vivio said. "That's true for a lot of people. But it's almost in his job description, as the Head Librarian of the Infinite Library."

Rin must hate let something show on her face, or her silence was its own answer, since Vivio answered with what she wanted to know.

"The Infinite Library is in the Headquarters for the Time Space Administration Bureau," the blonde said. "And that is in the middle of Dimensional space. Since Dimensional Space also gets called the sea of dimensions, despite its inaccuracies, that particular name is somewhat common if unprofessional."

Shirou just kept his silence, starting at the both of them. However Rin knew that Vivio was much better than him at explaining things, especially in answering any technical questions Rin might have. She leaned forward when she noticed that Vivio planned to explain everything, eager for the answers she had been nigh demanding.

"Dimensional space is... It still isn't truly understood, but it is pivotal for modern society in the Bureau. It is what allows barriers like the one we are in to exist and to be cast with such a small power investment. Generally speaking it's a natural discovery of a civilization that uses a magical system compatible with ours. Nonetheless it still isn't very well understood. Even the similarities with seas of water are merely shallow parallels that don't really lead anywhere. And since not only is it entirely unique but experiments on it have a very real chance of having immediate and long lasting negative consequences, research on it goes slowly."

Rin's posture had closed off sometime during Vivio's explanation as she began to focus on analyzing the new information, leaning back to rest her back on the seat. Through her bond to him, she could tell that Archer seemed interested. A clue for his identity, perhaps? Shirou and Saber had probably learned all of what Vivio was explaining earlier or known already, but since the female Servant simply looked like her usual stoic self, there was no way to tell. Of course, Shirou seemed more interested in her reaction than in Vivio's explanation despite looking like he was still paying it half a mind, if she was reading him right.

"Discovering its existence generally happens before they, as civilizations, advance to the point of travelling between planets without leaving their dimension. It's rare for a world to get much farther than this without starting a diplomatic relationship with the Bureau these days, since in that situation space is a very tempting goal both culturally and militarily. However, in earlier times these worlds tended to be prime targets for conquest by nearby dimensional powers, which forced the hand of other nearby powers and ultimately ended with the newly emergent civilization being absorbed or destroyed in the conflict." Vivio continued explaining.

"Those dimensional powers expanded and shrunk, until an Empire with their capital in a world called Belka became the single superpower of all Dimensional Space. Its supremacy lasted several centuries, but it was ultimately an irreparably flawed government, so when it stopped growing, internal factions began to squabble for power in the earnest and to undermine each other until Belka finally died as an actual country. This led to a long series of smaller wars enveloping sections of known Dimensional Space," Vivio explained.

"This trend ended around a century ago, when the last remnants of Belka fell to the alliance that would become the modern Time Space Administration Bureau. Both sides of the conflict used magic styles working on the same underlying principles, but following distinct combat doctrines and engagement philosophies. Soon afterwards, the Bureau managed to spread peace through Dimensional Space."

Waving her arm to the side, Vivio continued explaining. "Since the Belkan remnants were careful to keep important or critical information about their magic system hidden right up until they vanished, accurate information about it was effectively lost to the public at large. This and the long peace that followed resulted in a lot of variety in magical styles in the Bureau, tough for the most part they were variations or specialized refinements of the Mid Childan style."

"That sounds very interesting, but I’m not sure how I'm supposed to believe this without any proof?" Rin asked without any heat on her voice. Vivio hadn't given her anything but a literally outlandish explanation. Not that she’d lie, and the powerful magic and esoteric mysteries were fairly convincing by themselves, though the assumption that all these civilizations supposedly gaining a partial mastery of the Kaleidoscope grated on her. Though before she came to a decision, what she wanted was a more tangible proof.

"After I finish explaining I’ll be happy to show you, Rin,” Vivio answered without missing a beat. “Anything else before I go on?”

“No, it’s ok. Please go on, Vivio." Rin said while waving the other girl on.

"Well, the next big thing you must know about Dimensional Space is that it can be used, at least locally to reach distant locations faster than light. In fact, at any point in Dimensional Space you can exit back to normal space, though attempting to use this in order to travel to other stars or even between relatively close places in the same galaxy is mostly considered a folly. But since magical energy can affect the stability of dimensional space in a mostly predictable fashion, it is possible to travel freely between planets containing beings with magical power like humans or dragons, or even finding worlds without life but with magical substances."

"You can even put spaceships or buildings in Dimensional Space, if you know how to keep them from drifting or getting destroyed, like the headquarters of the Bureau. The Infinite Library was built there, as the result of a concerted effort between allies to gather and share magical knowledge in order to develop more effective magic to use against the superior martial might of Belka, back during the war," Vivio said as she continued to explain.

"Later on in peace time, the result of the project became too good at what it what supposed to do, piling up far more information than the Bureau could handle. It got so bad that at one point extracting information from the Infinite Library counted as a mission that could last one or two weeks for an admittedly small team of mages."

Rin kept her silence as she silently analyzed what had been told to her, with the understanding that the 'proof' she was waiting for could mean the explanation had been a waste of time. Not that the prospect of having of having access to such a place, if it was real, wasn't tempting.

Rin just knew it wasn't the time. "And the Traveler is in charge of that kind of place?" She asked.

Shirou was fast to deny it. "No. Not exactly, at least."

But Vivio went on to correct them both. "He joined the staff of the Infinite Library after showing a lot of skill in quickly and correctly finding information within it for a case he was involved in, and was appointed as the Head Librarian of the library some time later after the volume of his newly organized and indexed information began to outpace the volume of incoming data. Mind you, this was long after the library started being a repository of knowledge about a lot more than just military tactics. These days the staff of the Infinite Library handles the information requests of the higher ups of the Bureau, while non-classified information is publicly available."

"I see. And your proof?" Rin asked offhandedly.

"Here," Vivio said. And made a floating holographic window in front of her. "This is a terminal connected to the Infinite Library as a guest user under my credentials."

And there it was. The two of them simply gave her what she wanted, despite her misgivings. To check if they were telling the truth, she only had to find accurate information on volumes greater than what Team Shirou could have possibly produced on their own.

So she searched for all the information available on gems. She had both the expertise and experience to identify accurate information about them and to recognize what had been done on Earth and what was... not.

She was convinced fifteen minutes later, when a test on a broken glass fragment using information found through the terminal and her own skill family's knowledge of gem magecraft had worked as intended. And after skimming a few dozen books on topics alien to her.

Oh, the proof wasn't perfectly ironclad yet. But she had been convinced beyond reasonable doubt. Especially when she considering the likelihood of the people involved lying.

"So you are convinced, Rin?" Vivio asked.

"Yes," she admitted.

"That's great. I guess that means that starting from this moment we are allies," Shirou said with a smile.

"It's official, then. Though that brings up my next point," Rin said. "I'll have to bring some luggage here, which means that I'll be weighed down on my way back. And if any other Masters are like you or Kuzuki-sensei, I'll be in trouble when their Servant distracts Archer."

"Then I suggest that Vivio goes with you, Tohsaka Rin," began Saber. "She is skilled enough to guarantee your safety without leaving Shirou's home undefended, and she can set up a barrier to help you escape if the situation goes bad."

Rin blinked at that. And considered it before answering.

"What if the attack is by two Servants? They already may think we are already allies if they found out even the basics about the battle at Homurabara, so an alliance and a swift retaliation on the most isolated member of our own alliance they can find is only common sense."

"There is no problem. If we can use a barrier to avoid notice, I can arrive in seconds to the battlefield and Shirou can do the same," Saber answered, refuting Rin's objection.

"I'll stay here if that's what you really want, Rin" Vivio offered in conciliation.

Finding her objections satisfied, Rin finally accepted, "fine, you convinced me. I'll go with Vivio. It shouldn’t take more than an hour with her help."

After that everything happened quickly, while Rin only requested Archer to follow them in spirit form. The trip itself ended up being very calm and without any surprises despite how Rin and Vivio both stayed alert the whole time. The whole city was in a panic over an entire school being effectively demolished in a single day.

The only thing even remotely dangerous had been a driver running a red traffic light near them, thankfully without any casualties.

So Rin should have really expected for something to go wrong.

They had almost returned to Shirou’s house with Rin’s baggage in tow. Vivio’s help had allowed her to be a little less careful about what to bring, and Shirou had stepped out to the gates on his house to welcome them. Rin had considered herself safe, and had lowered her guard.

Only for Rider to appear right next to Shirou.

‘Archer!’ Rin called mentally.

But her servant had read the situation, and just like her, he had reached immediately and was already most of the way to the other Servant. Yet he was not as fast as Saber, who was already mid swing.

"Stop!"

And just like that, Shirou stopped Saber with a Command Seal before she had finished her blow. Saber's own reaction freezing Archer in place.

A red puddle rapidly grew under Rider, flowing down Saber's sword and staining her hands. For an instant, nothing moved. Then Rider began falling, crumbling to the ground almost gracelessly only to be caught by Shirou. The boy paid no mind to the blood that stained his hand and clothes as he gathered the servant in his arms and carried her inside.

"Shirou, why?" Rin asked. Was he really so stupid as to save even enemy servants on a whim?

"She has no Master, Rin." Shirou said as he rearranged Rider to carry her on his arms. "I checked."

The Grail let the Masters know that much. At least if they intentionally checked, and they had known the Master beforehand. Rin wordlessly did the same, confirming the redhead's assertion with a nod. "The most pertinent question then, is this: why did she come here? And how. We didn't detect her until she was right on top of us."

"Perhaps a Command Seal was used," Saber suggested. "Or a Noble Phantasm."

"It doesn't matter. We have to take her inside," Shirou said, turning to do just that.

"You're planning something," Rin accused.

"Keeping her alive," the redhead admitted. "Nothing more."

Nobody spoke after that until they had entered the Emiya residence and into one of the unused guest rooms. It was only remarkable in that it had enough space and seats around the bed to accommodate everyone. Shirou ushered everyone else or of the room, leaving Rider to recuperate on the bed. A green glow enveloped the Servant as Shirou fiddled with the odd looking TV by the bed.

As they ask stood right outside the room, Rin chose to speak up. "Shirou. Are we safe?" Rin asked the redhead.

But it was Vivio who answered. "Unless they are willing to waste a Command Seal... No. Well, Caster may manage something, but not too fast I would think. Unless she’s already familiar with barriers of this type, it would be hard for her to break in this soon."

"So you still trust the barrier after Rider got through?" Rin asked insistently.

"Yes," Vivio answered firmly. "To enter a barrier you technically need to travel back in time a little after all. And in a prepared defensive barrier like ours you need either to decrypt and synchronize with the internal topology of the barrier or overwhelm its boundaries with magical energy. And since the second would break the secrecy of the war I bet that it'd be forbidden to even try."

"So the barrier needs a mystery on the level of a Command Seal to be overcome?" Rin questioned, probing for more information.

Vivio nodded, “Probably.”

Content to stand in place for the moment, Rin looked through the open door and into the room where the stunning Servant laid on the bed. Saber, Archer, Shirou and Vivio also seemed to find nothing wrong with standing in place saying nothing while they waited for Rider to recover. The wound on her side had already healed, though she was still unconscious.

"She needs a Master, doesn't she?" Vivio asked after a few minutes passed in silence.

Rin frowned at the blonde teen. "You don't have Command Seals, right Vivio? If you don't, then making a pact with Rider won't be easy. Or maybe possible, since you could have to support her without assistance from the Grail."

Vivio frowned at that, before starting off into the distance in contemplation. But it wasn't long until she turned back to Rin and said, "That could be a problem. Do you think it'll come down to that? I was counting on the Grail to help me maintain Rider without taking me out of the fight."

Rin kept her silence for a moment before answering. "Well, I think it may be possible to improve your odds if you have a bond with a Master's magical energy at the moment you make the contract."

"Does any kind of link work, or does it have to be a specific one?" Vivio inquired.

"Any should do. If the Grail is able to recognize a Magic Circuit and a Command Seal when binding you and a Servant, it should help you support a Servant as it would a normal master," Rin answered.

"How would you do it, Rin? If you were on my place?" Vivio asked distractedly, looking at how Shirou was now hovering around Rider.

"I- Wait, Rider is awake."

If the Servant was in any way surprised at her circumstances, she didn't show it on what Rin could see of her face below the blindfold mask. Even so, she stared straight at the red headed Master the moment that he cast a diagnosis spell with Lotus Blade on her, her expression aptly hidden by her blindfold.

"How are you feeling, Rider? Are you fine without a Master giving you magical energy?"

"I can survive like this for about two days." She said. Her voice a smooth as she carefully choose her words.

"That's good. I didn't notice any wounds other than the one Saber gave you when you appeared. That's a weight of my back. Are you planning to go right back out, Rider?"

The female servant just stared at Shirou, as if trying to solve a particularly unexpected riddle. And when she spoke, it was with the same deliberate, almost stoic lilt.

"Emiya Shirou?" She asked. At his affirmative nod, she continued. "No. My Master used a Command Seal to send me to Emiya Shirou and Takamachi Vivio, and by the time I realized she'd cut our contract, I was already wounded and on your care."

"It was Caster, right?" Rin interrupted. "She probably wanted to attack her most vulnerable enemy before they recovered. But Rider, wasn't Shinji your Master, despite him not being a magus?"

The beautiful purple haired woman shook her head. "My real Master didn't want to compete in the war, so her grandfather allowed Shinji to stand in as a Master by turning one Command Seal into a Mystic Code that provided me with the magical energy that Shinji couldn't, since he wasn't a magus."

"But that means that your real Master is... Matou Sakura?" Rin asked, clamping down on her emotions.

Rider nodded. And Rin would have gnashed her teeth if her self-control was any worse. As it was she barely managed to keep her reaction as a frown.

"We were attacked by Caster and her Master, but Lancer jumped in and bought my Master the time to send me away."

"Did she mention why she sent you to us, Rider?" Vivio interjected.

"No, she only ordered me to choose one of you as my next Master." Rider pointed out. "I didn't have the time to mention that one of you was the Master of Saber."

"If you'll have me Rider, I'll be happy to be your Master and help you save Sakura," Vivio offered without fanfare. But if the offer surprised her, Rider didn't show it.

"You are quick to offer your help," she noted, still sitting in the bed in a way that hinted at her strength.

"You aren't refusing me yet," the blonde schoolgirl pointed out, somehow smiling despite her blank expression.

Rider stayed silent for a few seconds before nodding. "I believe that if Sakura chose to send me to you in this situation, she trust you to save her in turn, so I have no objections."

"I am ready, then. Are you, Rider?" Vivio asked.

Nodding, the servant got off the bed and began following Vivio while Rin and Shirou walked behind them and Saber took the rear. Archer was close, as far as Rin could tell, but not materialized.

The master and servant pair, perhaps unconsciously, soon began waking in sync and before long everyone was in the dojo. Rider and Vivio were soon standing while facing each other, staring at one another's face without saying a word. But Rin had something to say before the last was attempted.

"Vivio, are you going to try this without making the link we spoke of just now?" the Tohsaka magus asked.

By the surprise and chagrin on both her face and Shirou's, they had already forgotten.

"I guess this guy here has rubbed off on you," she said before waving them off.

"Thank you, Rin. I almost forgot." Shirou thanked her as he went to his... To Vivio and put his hand b the collar of the other girl's uniform, slowly undoing the buttons?

"STOP! What the hell, are you just going to do it r-right here?" Rin exclaimed.

The simultaneous, mildly confused head tilts by Shirou and Vivio that followed were less cute than their earlier surprised faces.

"Is there a problem, Rin-san? Do you want to wait outside while we finish?" Vivio asked, like there was nothing odd with what she'd been about to do.

"Magi normally want privacy for this, even the weird ones, you know? Do you really have no problem with me being here?" Rin insisted.

A simultaneous head shake.

"Well then," Rin said, more to buy time as she straightened out her clothes and shoes in her feet to find a more comfortable standing position. "Go ahead," she urged them.

Another of the glowing, floating magic circles that accompanied their magic appeared by their feet, making Rin notice with a start that the temperature in the dojo had suddenly risen enough to make her clothes feel too warm.

And then she noticed the flow of magical energy that left Shirou and entered Vivio, without touching or harming her -completely buttoned- shirt. Putting that out of her mind, she focused on the circle that surrounded them.

Contrary to her expectations, it wasn't the same cyclic squares shape of Shirou's nor the triangle of Vivio's. Rather it was a circle with an n-pointed star inside, and with every line of both being a ribbon of text written in an unfamiliar script. Looking around, she saw several repeated symbols, but no structure she could notice outside of the symbols being split into what were possibly words.

Before long, the flux peaked before vanishing altogether with the magic circle.

"It's done." Shirou stated aloud, more to himself than to her or to Rider. Nodding at Vivio with a smile that the other girl smugly returned, he left back to stand with his servant on the sidelines.

With that done, Vivio and Rider returned to their mutual staring. After a few seconds, however, Rin noticed that the blonde girl was growing hesitant. Quickly figuring out what her problem was, she spoke up.

"Just prepare yourself like you would to bind with a familiar and let the Holy Grail forge the connection between you and Rider."

Almost like Rin had been the one to cast the spell, a much more familiar circle sprung from the floor. It was a copy of the one she herself had made in her workshop and that she had used to summon Archer. Vivio spoke some words that Rin wasn't able to understand and the magical energy in the circle began to rise, emitting a powerful wind and an increasingly bright light.

"-I got the Command Seals, but my link with Shirou is destabilizing!-" Rin heard Vivio speak telepathically.

Rin's mind got into overdrive, but before she could do anything the magical energy, the wind and the light burst out, forcing Rin to cover her face with her arms until it died down. Blinking away the dryness in her eyes, she looked over Rider and Vivio, only to see the former supporting the latter and preventing her from falling.

"Vivio, is everything fine? Did it work?" She asked.

Smiling weakly, the blonde mage lifted her fist and showed off her Command Seals, three winged circles arranged to form a triangle.

As she stepped closer, she saw Shirou put Vivio's other arm over his shoulder to help Rider support her. But it was only when she got close enough that she noticed that Vivio was leaking magical energy into the air in fast enough to drain an average magus in a second.

"Vivio, what happened?" Shirou asked, leading the other two women out of the dojo while Saber followed them closely.

"I think that Rin noticed, but the Master is also the anchor that binds the Servant to the physical world, but since the Command Seals were trying to…break into the barrier, I had to manually stabilize the anchor by binding it to my Linker Core. But the link was imperfect, like shoving a square tube into a round pipe. The water can flow, but...a lot is lost on the bits that poke out."

Looking down, Shirou apologized. "It's my fault, if I'd been considered the barrier could interfere, this wouldn't have happened to you."

Vivio shook her head and squeezed Shirou's shoulders. "My Linker Core has always been different. There’s a good chance that it would’ve still happened if the barrier was down, but that would mean that every magus in the city would notice."

Walking to stand beside Saber, Rin prompted Vivio to continue. "But, is your bond with Rider working right?"

"I think it’s fixing itself, like the surface of a frozen lake freezing a fishing hole. There was a weird resonance that broke my link to Shirou before I got any Command Seals and was redirecting my magic energy to my hand. If it drained me dry before it finished giving me the Command Seals, I think it would have just failed instead of doing worse."

"If it is like this, you won't be able to fight," Rin noted. "We'll have to change the plan."

"There's no need. Linker Cores are more flexible than Magic Circuits in some ways, and I'm a little special even in that respect." Vivio shook her head. "The link feels like it should be fine already, but I won't be at full power until midnight."

Rin nodded to herself as she thought the situation over. Shirou's piercing stare burned her face more and more, shaking her focus. "So we should rest up and prepare for later tonight, unless we are willing to risk attacking Caster without Vivio and Rider."

"I understand," Rider said, so immutable that Rin could almost forget how she was on death's door not even ten minutes ago. Things had been happening rather abruptly from the moment she came back, but Shirou and Vivio had responded with such calm deliberation that every step of the way felt natural.

"Why don't we rest up and meet again for lunch? My room and Vivio's are marked, you can pick an empty room if you want to lay down, while I set up our infirmary." Shirou offered after half turning towards the door of the dojo."

"I'll go with Vivio," Rin offered. "Maybe I can help speed up her recovery if she lets me."

"Shirou, I have a question." Saber asked with some hesitation.

"Do you mind if we talk while I work, Saber? I really want to set up the infirmary."

"It's fine."

When they both began walking into the main house, Rider began walking behind them, close enough to participate in the conversation. Both Shirou and Saber accepted her presence without issue.

"Who is this Matou Sakura, exactly? Why would she send you her Servant or have her brother fight in her place? If she’s a Master in the war and still trusts you that much…"

"Sakura... I first met her when Shinji introduced her to us back in middle school, but Vivio met her while she was handling some paperwork before the school year started. I was friends with Shinji before he introduced Sakura, and Vivio had essentially decided she was Sakura's friend and said as much from the first time she met her. So the normal thing would have been for us all to become friends, but... Vivio and Shinji didn't get along. They kept arguing, and somewhere in the meantime Vivio accidentally showed Sakura a book on familiars based on our magic system. We never said anything, but that made Shinji back off, and helped Sakura become more assertive."

The redhead shook his head in remembrance at the memory, before continuing.

"It was unspoken, but with that we knew that we were all using magic and Vivio gifted Sakura with the book itself. With the new knowledge we gave the Matou family, something changed that made Sakura's life easier at home. And then, when she joined Homurabara's Archery Club, Shinji resigned and began distancing himself from me."

"So your relationship isn't actually that close, but you trust her character and the aid you lent her in the past?" Saber inquired.

"No, we are actually pretty close. We normally meet up with her, Issei and Ayako for lunch at school or at my house. But we were off planet until this weekend and Shinji must have ordered her to stay home today, since he was going to launch to his plans at school."

Looking contemplative, Saber thanked Shirou and kept her silence. Behind them, Rider did the same. Rin, who had been helping Vivio walk just a few steps ahead of them turned back to look forward, glancing at the blonde girl for a second. But it was long enough for the other girl to nod at her, confirming the story.

Shirou and Vivio had helped Sakura a lot, both in school and away, while she was supposed to...

Despite the heavy judgement she was laying on herself, when Rin finally entered Vivio's room, she had small smile on her face. If Sakura was doing well, then there was a load off her mind.

After that event, time passed by quickly without any of the monitoring spells finding a trace of the other Servants or their Masters.

With her help, Vivio had managed to recover twice as fast as she was expecting. Rin was still surprised by how open Vivio and Shirou were with secrets that other magi would kill to protect. It gave credit to their story, even if it felt so outlandish.

Sometime after she was done with Vivio, they met up at the living room, and turned on the TV tuned into one of the local channels. It was the night edition, and there was apparently a special development that was overshadowing other news for the night. The Ryuudou Temple and the rest of the mountain had been cordoned and evacuated, and the police warned about an illegal cache of improperly handled chemicals had forced the evacuation.

It was clear that Caster was willing to push the secrecy of the war to the brink in order to better prepare against their alliance. And having made such open moves, she was now likely to invest her resources into even more dangerous preparations.

They would have to strike tonight.

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 6

No Glossary this time. Quite a bit shorter than what my mind insists should be the average chapter length (10k words, with 1k being the flashback at the start), but since it was mostly done I figured that I might as well, instead of delaying things even longer. The next chapter should come soon (I said back in April), but the outline for the next chapter is ready, the plan for the next few chapters is ready and the fic has an endgame in mind.

Tell me if there's anything you want to see, or if there are Lore inconsistencies Mysteries that you want to comment on, feel free.

Or, I guess if you want to help me with this you may as well post it here on the thread or fire me a PM.