Page 129 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2979119124127128129130131134 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2760

Thread: Mahou Tsukai no Yoru free range discussion thread, spoil as thou wilt

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Dabbled a bit into the demo, played the first scene available. The wide textbox feels weird for sure, and I noticed a couple alignment fails in transitions from day to night, but everything else was good. Can't really vouch for the TL but at least it reads okay and there was nothing out of line from what I remembered from the fan TL. But the highlight to me is the voices, especially Hanazawa as Alice. It's so good. How does she do it? A truth I am unworthy of knowing.

All in all, bodes well.
    burn your dread you coward

EDIT: I'm being forced to emphasize that the below is a matter of personal opinion, and not representative of JP speakers in the community at large, if anyone were to think that. Therefore, here's a brief TLDR on what I actually think about this release:

At the end of the day, I think there are two major questions to ask about this TL:
    1) Does it at a very high level capture the feeling and tone of the JP text and serve as an actual equivalent?
    No, I wouldn't say it does to that high a degree, but it doesn't fall entirely flat in that regard either, it just mainly has some issues with being a bit too concise and dropping a lot of flowery language.
    2) But would I be upset or disappointed in any form about the fact that most people will read this, including my friends who were the original reason I joined the HM project?
    No, I won't, even though I'll be a bit sad they can't "experience nasu's prose" (whatever that means in a translation) but most everything else will be at a good enough level that I won't consider them having missed out on much that you can really only get if you do know JP.

Or, to be even more brief:
    I absolutely endorse this release, but not over the future HM patch release (as it stands right now), once that's actually available.

That is my own, personal, take on this demo, and is in no way representative of what others might think in this community or outside.

---

Alright, I read it, so here are my thoughts I guess:

All in all, I'd say the translation is good, both in a technical sense (for the most part) and in a literary sense. That is to say, the text flows well (usually) and is written to a mostly professional standard. There are a few hiccups here and there, which I feel mostly stems from an attempt to adhere to JP line count (which is probably a strict requirement, just like in a fan patch almost). Stuff like typos or missed words occurred a handful of times but not enough that it really detracted from reading, and I'm sure they'll fix it later (it's a modern game after all, not a book, so they can continuously fix such issues). At the same time, it seems to mostly follow fandom accepted terms, or more correctly, it seems to follow FGO NA terminology (good thing there isn't really somewhere they can stick their void fuckup here, at least), since in the fight scene they do drop "Mystics". Still, that means they stick to most terms people are familiar with, which is good (they even do classic TM translation Capitalization for good measure).

Now, it does have some weird things, or things that stood out to me, but that might not matter as much at the end of the day. The biggest thing to me is the fact that they write Soujuurou's name as "Soujyuro" which I guess isn't too far off with americanized phonetics but damn does it look bad. Other things that I saw at all was a line where Aoko goes "Sardines... Sardines, huh... I don't like sardine pie... Not that I've ever had it." which is kinda random, but in JP it's actually a reference (it's almost a direct quote, actually) to Kiki's Delivery Service, where a character says "Grandma sent another of her crummy herring pies! [...] I hate Grandma's stupid pies."
    Anyway, that's a reference lost, no biggie. The other thing that stuck out to me is a scene that's describing Alice as delicate and cute, and it says "If he could see her in this moment, Alice's father would have to admit that her name suited her perfectly", which also doesn't really make sense in English (the name Alice suits her? what does that even mean?). In JP, Alice's name is written as 有珠, where the 珠 can mean pearl or jewel etc., so really what the wordplay here is trying to do is to say that in this moment she's as precious as a gem, or something to that effect.

Still, not being able to catch all references like this or joke-wordplays being left out etc isn't a great deal to me at least, in the sense that I don't think it detracts a lot from the quality of the text, even if it's obvious the TL could be better. Doing a quick side-by-side between JP, the demo TL, and our fan TL (which I obviously can't just share here because it's HM content, not mine alone), my verdict is that the OTL reads well, has good flow (most of the time), but is maybe too concise a lot of the time, omitting words or clauses that it feels it doesn't "need" I supposed, but in general gets everything across more than well enough and is probably far above the standard for what I feel like official TM locs usually get.

Also voices are good, and HD is good (but remote playing from a ps4 in 540p is not good).

(Funniest thing is actually that when Aoko talks about tea she mentions Fortnum and Mason, which you can even hear in the voiceline, but I have to assume they couldn't get some trademark rights or something for this, because they just write "expensive british tea" in the TL, which would otherwise just be a really lazy change.)
    Last edited by fumei; November 4th, 2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: im being reverse-censored
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

US Friend Code
    As someone who didn't know the wordplay with the kanji in Alice's name, I just assumed that the line about her name suiting her meant that she was as cute as Alice from Alice in Wonderland.

I guess that also works, yeah.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Even knowing the kanji the for Alice, that would still have been my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    available language are Japanese/English/Chinese so you should be able to change it.
    you mean Japanese Chinese and AMERICAN cuz it seems to use Farenheit and Feet

US Friend Code
    On Amazon Mahoyo is today's number 4 best seller on Switch, and number 6 on PS4. Number 10 in video games overall. These lists also include like, gift cards and controllers and stuff.

This is genuinely surprising to me. Like, it's cool, but I didn't expect that at all.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    On Amazon Mahoyo is today's number 4 best seller on Switch, and number 6 on PS4. Number 10 in video games overall. These lists also include like, gift cards and controllers and stuff.

This is genuinely surprising to me. Like, it's cool, but I didn't expect that at all.
    same thing happened to Tsuki:re

considering this game has lower rate (CERO C) who knows Mahoyo could sell more.

Quote Originally Posted by madarra View Post
    you mean Japanese Chinese and AMERICAN cuz it seems to use Farenheit and Feet
    Now that's what I call soft power.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    orange girl

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

what a weird coincidence Touko voiced by person named Aoki which has 'Blue' in the name.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The ruri (lapis-lazuli) part is technically also blue. Aoki Ruriko is overall a less low-effort version of what the name Aozaki Aoko was trying to be.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    same thing happened to Tsuki:re

considering this game has lower rate (CERO C) who knows Mahoyo could sell more.
    That makes sense for the JP Amazon but it's actually the US Amazon where it's selling so high, that's why it was so surprising to me.

That makes sense for the JP Amazon but it's actually the US Amazon where it's selling so high, that's why it was so surprising to me.
    probably because Mahoyo is available in English.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Contemplating picking up a second hand switch just for this.

From what I've heard the main thing to go on the things are the joycon?
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    As in, what breaks first? Yeah, but Nintendo's mail-in service works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Strange_One View Post
    Contemplating picking up a second hand switch just for this.

From what I've heard the main thing to go on the things are the joycon?
    In addition to what Raff said, the thing that usually breaks with joycons is that joysticks drift, which isn't really an issue with a VN I guess, and I'd say for most other games you'd probably want to have a pro controller to play with anyway (which is basically an actual normal controller, as opposed to two plastic cubes you swing around).
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Good. Maybe if it does well we'll get Tsukihime and other stuff. Though I wonder how Re would actually do when there is a patch out already.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
    Good. Maybe if it does well we'll get Tsukihime and other stuff. Though I wonder how Re would actually do when there is a patch out already.
    Nowadays, probably better than you're expecting. The average internet user is not as tech-savy as they used to be, because the internet has expanded to be used by all kinds of people instead of just nerds on computers. And not everyone will be willing to learn how to use an emulator or mod their console, and then grab a custom update file to apply to a rom. Sure, to you and me it might not seem like much of a hassle, I'd think that not to be the case for most people.

Convenience goes a long way.
    burn your dread you coward

Quote Originally Posted by The absolute devastate of France View Post
    At the end of the day, I think there are two major questions to ask about this TL:
    1) Does it at a very high level capture the feeling and tone of the JP text and serve as an actual equivalent?
    No, I wouldn't say it does to that high a degree, but it doesn't fall entirely flat in that regard either, it just mainly has some issues with being a bit too concise and dropping a lot of flowery language.
    2) But would I be upset or disappointed in any form about the fact that most people will read this, including my friends who were the original reason I joined the HM project?
    No, I won't, even though I'll be a bit sad they can't "experience nasu's prose" (whatever that means in a translation) but most everything else will be at a good enough level that I won't consider them having missed out on much that you can really only get if you do know JP.

Or, to be even more brief:
    I absolutely endorse this release, but not over the future HM patch release (as it stands right now), once that's actually available.