View Poll Results: Would you like to see Beast's Lair purchase and include a site Wiki?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 74.51%
  • No

13 25.49%
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 914171819202124 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like for us to make an integrated Wiki?

Blog Entries
    I'm sure our less than impartial associate meant "maintain proper grammatical flow," and that it was nothing more than an unfortunate choice of wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianru View Post
    Slightly relevant to the thread topic, what is the little box that says "Recent Articles" on it?
    It's a feature regular members don't have access to at the moment, I believe, since I don't see any options to create a new article or promote an existing thread to an article. Mods might, and the Admins probably do.

Blog Entries
    Mods can.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fuck yeah, mods.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Of course, editing a translation made by someone else would be silly (unless you think you have a better translation).
    You underestimate the shenanigans internet people will pull in the heat of e-peen drama:

It's a wiki, meaning anyone can edit. I don't speak for all people translating, but unless there is moderation and/or clear editing permissions for certain pages, there won't be much reason for me to post translations there instead of in a forum post or other website like we are now.

Editing an article about the characters which incorporates information from that translation to improve the wording, on the other hand, is entirely reasonable, provided you use the original translation as a reference.
    Okay. From there, I suppose the concern about article editing wars comes up, though that's not my problem.

後継者 Successor
    Blog Entries
    To echo Mcjon's sentiments, a single location to find everything one will ever need to understand/learn about the finer workings of the Nasuverse would be awesome...as it stands, I have no clue as to where to look around here...I know there are threads that detail everything, but it's my own fault and laziness that prevents me from sifting through everything to find what I want.

I really would like to help, but I have no useful skills in this area apart from making things sound more English but that's hardly beneficial, and is useless without conversing with someone better-versed in Japanese. My own studies are slow-going and I'm waiting to sign up for a course later in the year (learning on my own is fine and dandy, but again, I'm likely to be lazy about it and I need to commit to something to ensure I'll reach my goal of learning the language)

But that's beside the point - I have a mind like a weird sieve; it holds onto random information but is likely to not hold onto anything I might consider useful for personal reasons. So, having a centralised location (not necessarily a wiki, heck even an online tome of sorts - with a contents page and links to headings - would work!) would be great.
    Fic's
    Wishing Upon The Sun (Fate/Guyver) - Updated: 11/04/12
    Broken on the Rocks - Updated: 20/07/12
    Spoiler:

[11:37] <Wakarimaspin> Hahahaha, an NTR doujin by Tusia with three chapters. Chapter 1: Five and Leo share pure loving relationship, ends with Leo going on a trip and Five promising to wait for him
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 2: Exiku the temptress comes along and slowly erodes Five's yearning for Leo, and takes him in a moment of weakness. Ends with Leo returning to see what has happened
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 3: NTRNTRNTRNTRNTR

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The scavenger hunt for reference is intentional.

It is the BL filtering mechanism to separate the oldfags from the newfags.

By compiling everything into one easy-to-access source, you risk upsetting the BL hierarchy.

Vive la révolution.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    The scavenger hunt for reference is intentional.

It is the BL filtering mechanism to separate the oldfags from the newfags.

By compiling everything into one easy-to-access source, you risk upsetting the BL hierarchy.
    I shall bring anarchy to the world.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    It's a wiki, meaning anyone can edit. I don't speak for all people translating, but unless there is moderation and/or clear editing permissions for certain pages, there won't be much reason for me to post translations there instead of in a forum post or other website like we are now.
    What do you mean?

Are you saying, basically, that you want to restrict editing to people you like?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Restricting it to people who are trustworthy, more like.

(Also that comic mew posted is totally how "Shinji rapes Sakura to curb the worms" came into being.)
    Last edited by Kotonoha; May 10th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    He's still talking about translations, Mike.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Restricting it to people who are trustworthy, more like.
    Define "trustworthy"....

The point is that he seems to want to make editing open to only people who can speak Japanese, even for articles on the characters etc. where the information is already there. That is not how the wiki should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    He's still talking about translations, Mike.
    Well, I would expect that no-one on the forum would edit someone else's translation unless they actually did know what they were talking about (and even then, with hesitation...).
    Last edited by Mike1984; May 10th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Define "trustworthy"....
    Knowing what they're talking about and not just parroting fanon they found on TvTropes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Knowing what they're talking about and not just parroting fanon they found on TvTropes.
    Well, yeah, but I don't think any of us would do that in a wiki....

Blog Entries
    Look at our discussions here.

"I don't remember where I read it, it was probably in an interview."

(If someone says that, you know they really mean TvTropes. Always.)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Look at our discussions here.

"I don't remember where I read it, it was probably in an interview."

(If someone says that, you know they really mean TvTropes. Always.)
    Using things like that in an argument is not the same as editing them into a wiki, though. And, given that half the time such things actually come from some random translation that was posted six months ago, it's not that unreasonable....

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Simple solution: Each translator has their own page(s). The only one who can mess with that page(s) is said translator. Others may mine it to populate other pages (with links back to the translation) and generally make use of the translation, but the translated text itself is sacred and inviolate.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Simple solution: Each translator has their own page(s). The only one who can mess with that page(s) is said translator. Others may mine it to populate other pages (with links back to the translation) and generally make use of the translation, but the translated text itself is sacred and inviolate.
    That seems fair, although it should be possible for people with sufficient knowledge to point out errors in the translation, and to resolve any disputes about it (in particular when an article is translated by someone with relatively less Japanese knowledge than the person who noticed the error).

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Nono, nobody else can touch the translations. That way lies madness, because some lameass/drunk/whatever translator wannabe might want to "touch it up" and end up wrecking shit. What can be done is have the two discuss it, and if there's really a mistake, then the original translator can fix it. (Please not "I'll just translate it myself" 'cause then we have two sources for the same info and that way also lies madness)