View Poll Results: Would you like to see Beast's Lair purchase and include a site Wiki?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 74.51%
  • No

13 25.49%
Page 1 of 29 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like for us to make an integrated Wiki?

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would you like for us to make an integrated Wiki?

...Or more accurately, for me to buy a modification that would let us make one.

My rationale is that a lot of the information we have is, in some ways, fragmented between forum threads, or resources that aren't being updated anymore (i.e; Fuyuki), or are just plain under some less consistent updating (Type-Moon Wiki). Therefore, the logical conclusion to this would be to make Beast's Lair a one-stop shop for any and all Type-Moon needs - discussion forums and a Wiki in one go.

There is a product out there called VaultWiki. I could use that to easily add an integrated Wiki to the forum, so presumably, anyone with a forum account would be able to edit the thing. It looks about as good as most Wikis do, and it costs $69.98 for the base license with a year's worth of updates. (After that, it's about half that to renew for a year.) The cost would be no problem to me, generally (although if we have people willing to donate for it, that certainly helps!) but at the same time, I want to add it only if we're going to have a group of people who are going to seriously use it, and keep it up-to-date and the best "go-to" source for Type-Moon anywhere.

The old resources we have, such as Fuyuki, are great material, and it would be sad to lose them to the mists of time (indeed, as some of Fuyuki already is) but furthermore, it also can't account for new information such as Mahoyo. This is my attempt to circumvent that, since we do have talented people here, and we can easily become the source for English information on this game. And considering people usually just filch information off of us anyway, at least with this, they'll have webpages they can link back to, or whatever, rather than have to sift through threads (especially when some of those threads, even now, number in the literal thousands of pages of replies).

So, I'll put it up to you, the forumites, as always: Do you think we would benefit from a Wiki? Would you be willing to help out on it if you felt you had something to contribute? I bought the Blogs/CMS on impulse, but that was because I knew the Blogs would work out okay. Something like this, I'm less sure about. Especially if I'm going to be putting my own money down for it, I want to make sure we're going to have people who will make use of it.

Whether I buy it is in your hands... or, in the case of people willing to donate the $70, up to the hands of those who vote.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that's necessary, Mil already made the BL wiki and the success is...mediocre. I don't think that everyone would throw themselves at a chance to edit this one, and it costs money.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I don't think that's necessary, Mil already made the BL wiki and the success is...mediocre. I don't think that everyone would throw themselves at a chance to edit this one, and it costs money.
    My theory is that this is due to the fact it is decentralized from the forum.

Here, this ties into existing forum accounts (assuming I'm reading things correctly) and obviously it integrates fully into the forum installation (see the screenshots on the site) so the transition is really seamless. It's also right there on the site, as well, so for things there's easy reference right on-site as opposed to digging up Fuyuki, or digging through threads, or so on.

But again, that's why I'm putting it to vote, so opinions can be voiced and heard.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Blog Entries
    Well, I can get behind the idea. Mil's wiki is alright, I guess, but I can't be bothered to remember the address and don't really like the format, whereas this would be integrated into BL and looks more like a standard wiki. Though content generation may be problematic since people are likely just going to try pulling content straight from Fuyuki, which arai despises people even using, or Type Moon wiki, which who knows how accurate it is in the first place.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think it's not a bad idea, provided we're careful to stick to actual factual information (or, failing that, a neutral stance) and not have the articles turn into a long war over the exact wording of the description of the MoS ending (for example)....

The TV Tropes articles can turn into that occasionally and, whilst I do generally try to negotiate with people to get a neutral viewpoint, it's not always clear what a neutral viewpoint is, and sometimes the other person is simply not willing to negotiate at all....

Blog Entries
    Hm, I'm going to say yes. Sure, we already have Mil's wiki, but honestly I barely ever use it and don't even know the address. Something more integrated into the forum would be far more helpful, though then you would have the issue of keeping certain topics neutral. Though then again, I imagine that's a problem for any wiki.

How expensive is it anyway, DP?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    Hm, I'm going to say yes. Sure, we already have Mil's wiki, but honestly I barely ever use it and don't even know the address. Something more integrated into the forum would be far more helpful, though then you would have the issue of keeping certain topics neutral. Though then again, I imagine that's a problem for any wiki.
    Well, neutrality (especially on controversial articles) is indeed an issue with any wiki, but most wikis either don't really do much about it (and, thus, have constant edit wars) or, else, have a large admin presense to deal with such stuff (including locking cotroversial articles almost permanently). I don't think that it would go down very well (or really work) if the mods started locking any article about or involving Sakura or similarly controversial topics (particularly if they locked it on a biased version), especially since about 3/4 of the wiki would end up locked, and in any case I don't think the mods have the time to deal with it.

I'm torn, honestly. I like the idea of having a wiki, but I'm worried that it will either turn into a constant war over certain articles or, else, that DP will just take the "majority" view without any consideration of whether that is fact or just opinion.

How expensive is it anyway, DP?
    Erm, Beam....

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    It looks about as good as most Wikis do, and it costs $69.98 for the base license with a year's worth of updates.
    Last edited by Mike1984; May 5th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gah, my bad, somehow I missed that. Finals are murdering my brain. Thanks for the catch, Mike.

Blog Entries
    This sounds like a good investment. Especially for fanfic writers that don't particularly trust the accuracy of TM Wiki.

Blog Entries
    hmmm....part of me admires the idea, another part of me somewhat laments what happened with mil and doesn't want you to spend money that might be wasted since you already invest a decent amount financially into these forums, as I understand it.

....meh, guess ill just lurk and see what people think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    While the idea itself is good, I'd say to only do it if you can secure a group of people that will put some constant effort in the wiki. If not, I don't think the investment would be worth it.

I think that I'll also lurk and see for now, before voting.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeah, I was gonna comment, but figured that since I'm probably not gonna be able to support the thing, I really don't have much of a say in it.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

I'd rather you just install an arcade (I saw it listed somewhere on the vbulletin mods/plugins page) though that's just me

Edit: why did i even post this
    Last edited by Flame; May 5th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
    xxxx

Blog Entries
    I think the Sakura page and MoS ending alone would be huge issues. So... I'd probably have to vote no.

THIS IS WHY WHY CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I support it so long as we have a fact page and one for speculated facts.
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

Blog Entries
    Those aren't facts. Those are SPECULATIONS. Just remove the 'facts' from the end. Besides, isn't that what the whole forum basically is?
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    The forums is more like speculations for everyone.

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as entries include ONLY factual material, and none of the powerlevel bullshit that pollutes the Badass Versus and Questions threads. 'Speculated facts' is an oxymoron, and since they haven't been proven they don't belong in a wiki in the first place.

But then again, with a main wiki already out there and the lackluster success of Milbunk's wiki several months back, I can't help but see it as a waste of money, and at the state I'm currently at in life, wasting money is a no-no.
    Last edited by Kratosirving; May 5th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier Video Walkthrough: COMPLETE (thread here)

Kadenz Fermata//Akkord:Fortissimo Playlists
    Kisekitsukai (Seventh Chord) Playlist
    Mahoutsukai (Magi) Playlist)
    Final Arc Playlist

FGO Support Card (As of April 2023)
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I've always done and said what I feel and I don't let the opinions of others guide my actions. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and I will always march to the beat of my own drummer.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No powerlevels? Why make a Wiki in the first place then?
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    'Speculated facts' is an oxymoron
    what i mean are things that are implied vaguely but not stated outright X
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.