Page 747 of 805 FirstFirst ... 247647697737742745746747748749752757797 ... LastLast
Results 14,921 to 14,940 of 16094

Thread: Prisma Illya

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    The best comparison is probably with Nanoha, a magical girl series that shares a lot of Prillya's DNA, loli yuri text included, to the point where a crossover between the two felt rather organic.

Nanoha knew when to wrap its arcs up, even in StrikerS. For all the flaws it all would come to amass, it never made arcs overstay its welcome until Force, and then, Force was a disgrace upon all things Nanoha period, to the point of it earning a rough shove out the back door.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Nanoha also always was mainly anime-original. There are manga spinoffs and such expanding on the story, but anime's the main medium for every part of the main story except Force and Vivid, and in anime you gotta wrap up in the number of episodes you're given, while manga can be as long as you want as long as audience's still there. See One Piece for one of the most extreme examples of lack of lenght limits in manga
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Astroprogs's Avatar
    Feels early to say that this development is a regression to the plot when we don't really know why Hiroyama did this and what he's planning for the future.

I know it's frustrating to have a few pages every month if any, but that shouldn't be taken out on the story itself. At least at this point, anyway.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post
    Prillya was carried on by loli fan service
    Stop watching the anime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    No, I don't think that people liking SN Illya more than Prisma Illya is an unpopular opinion.
    Considering how much exposure Prillya Illya has gotten over "real" Illya (in various media, but let's get the elephant out of the room first- FGO Prillya has her own event, her entire gang with her, and even a summer alt more recently whereas "real" Illya is relegated to sidelines), it probably is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    The best comparison is probably with Nanoha, a magical girl series that shares a lot of Prillya's DNA, loli yuri text included, to the point where a crossover between the two felt rather organic.

Nanoha knew when to wrap its arcs up, even in StrikerS. For all the flaws it all would come to amass, it never made arcs overstay its welcome until Force, and then, Force was a disgrace upon all things Nanoha period, to the point of it earning a rough shove out the back door.
    Nanoha was never written as a serialized manga, so everything had to be pre-written (and compressed) into a specific episode and season runtime. If anything, StrikerS suffered significantly due to lack of space to actually unfold all the diverging subplots it wanted to setup: Just look at some of the episodes near the end where we

Spoiler:
    Constantly flit between Tea trying to prove herself, Subaru fighting both Ginga and herself, Caro and Barely A Character-kun (yes, I know his name is Erio Mondial) trying to reason with Lulu, Agito and Zest storming HQ and the whole talking heads subplot, Fate getting to grips with Jail and the squad of least developed Numbers... oh and the actual protagonist Nanoha trying to save her kid. And a boatload of other secondary and tertiary characters (like the helicopter pilot, sheesh) doing their own things.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

I wonder what happened to Miyuverse Shirou. Hell, I wonder what happend to Miyu after Darius chomped her.
    Let's rock this joint!

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroprogs View Post
    I know it's frustrating to have a few pages every month if any, but that shouldn't be taken out on the story itself. At least at this point, anyway.
    I think it's a fair criticism because it still affect the work though. Hiroyama, as the writer, should be aware of how far apart chapters come out and how short they've been. He should adapt the pacing of his narrative to it.

Like, regardless of whether or not he's aware of it, the pace of release does affect how people will perceive the story. I'd be much more charitable to this buffer chapter if it was just part of a chapter, or if we hadn't wasted so much time going through Darius' boss phases only for it to be seemingly futile, or even better, if both happened.
    This is not just a "waste of time" or "character regression" that is resolved next page or in next week's chapter. It's the status quo that is going to last... a month? Maybe way more than that?

Honestly, I don't even care that this chapter in particular is useless, but it does bother me that this series is written as if it was a weekly manga. It's the reason I dropped D. Gray-man and I would've dropped this too if I didn't frequent this forum.

I CAME FROM THE WORLD BEYOND Some Jerk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I think it's a fair criticism because it still affect the work though. Hiroyama, as the writer, should be aware of how far apart chapters come out and how short they've been. He should adapt the pacing of his narrative to it.

Like, regardless of whether or not he's aware of it, the pace of release does affect how people will perceive the story. I'd be much more charitable to this buffer chapter if it was just part of a chapter, or if we hadn't wasted so much time going through Darius' boss phases only for it to be seemingly futile, or even better, if both happened.
    This is not just a "waste of time" or "character regression" that is resolved next page or in next week's chapter. It's the status quo that is going to last... a month? Maybe way more than that?

Honestly, I don't even care that this chapter in particular is useless, but it does bother me that this series is written as if it was a weekly manga. It's the reason I dropped D. Gray-man and I would've dropped this too if I didn't frequent this forum.
    It feels like the length of the chapters is a necessary evil. Not only did Hiroyama have to shelf Prillya for a while due to his injury, but he's still doing other doujinshi and playing games on the side (he still tweets about FGO frequently), and unlike big-name writers like Eiichiro Oda (the creator of One Piece) he probably doesn't have a legion of artists at his beck and call.

While I agree that the chapter length does feel better for weekly than a monthly, for Hiroyama to do that means he'd be spending almost every waking moment drawing and troubleshooting Prillya on his lonesome. The man can hardly be faulted for having a life.
    Last edited by Some Jerk; January 4th, 2021 at 10:22 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm not saying he should change to a weekly series, I'm saying he need to pace his story to better fit a monthly release schedule.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar

I dropped D.Gray Man because I stopped remembering who anyone was or wtf they were doing past a point.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

I can't say anything but that I fundamentally disagree that the release schedule should in anyway affect how a story is written. What I personally care about is how the story will be like when it's finished. I don't care if chapters come out every week, month, quarter or even yearly, what matters is how everything will come together when binged.

And I know that I'd personally really hate it if Hiroyama rushed his narrative just to achieve a sense if progression. What should be asked isn't that more should happen per chapter, but that chapters should be longer or release more frequently. But regardless if that ended up happening or not, content per page should not change, whether the mouthly release is 5 pages or 30.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I still kept up for quite a while. Remembering stuff was a problem due to chapters coming out 3 months apart but I just reread 1 or 2 of them each time a new one came out.

The real problem is that Hoshino kept releasing completely insubstantial chapter, so it would take more than a year for anything to actually progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astroprogs View Post
    I can't say anything but that I fundamentally disagree that the release schedule should in anyway affect how a story is written. What I personally care about is how the story will be like when it's finished. I don't care if chapters come out every week, month, quarter or even yearly, what matters is how everything will come together when binged.
    It makes no sense to only think of a work as a whole when it is not being written as such. The work should fit the format it is using.
    Of course, the work as a whole matters, but binging should not be the ideal way to experience something that was not released all at once. If that is the case, why even have separate chapters at all.

And even if binging ends up being the ideal way to experience Prisma, that doesn't really change anything about criticisms directed at it during publication.

And I know that I'd personally really hate it if Hiroyama rushed his narrative just to achieve a sense if progression. What should be asked isn't that more should happen per chapter, but that chapters should be longer or release more frequently. But regardless if that ended up happening or not, content per page should not change, whether the mouthly release is 5 pages or 30.
    Having more substantial chapters does not necessarily equal rushing things.

I still kept up for quite a while. Remembering stuff was a problem due to chapters coming out 3 months apart but I just reread 1 or 2 of them each time a new one came out.

The real problem is that Hoshino kept releasing completely insubstantial chapter, so it would take more than a year for anything to actually progress.

- - - Updated - - -

It makes no sense to only think of a work as a whole when it is not being written as such. The work should fit the format it is using.
    Of course, the work as a whole matters, but binging should not be the ideal way to experience something that was not released all at once. If that is the case, why even have separate chapters at all.

And even if binging ends up being the ideal way to experience Prisma, that doesn't really change anything about criticisms directed at it during publication.

Having more substantial chapters does not necessarily equal rushing things.
    But I never got the feeling that any released chapter was inconsequential. Multiple chapters were divided into parts, but when you put the parts together, either the plot moves forward or we get more characterization in every single chapter. The plot definitely moves slower in 3rei compared to the previous parts, but it doesn't really stop. The realease schedule makes it seem slower than it actually is.

Stuff doesn't release at once because money, Serialized magazines do this to be able to sell and cancel stuff that don't sell anymore. Releasing stuff all at once is a financial risk.

Prillya and every non-episodic/villain-of-the-week narratives do NOT benefit from this format in any shape or form. It's how manga is published and that's just the reality of the industry.

So, as I see it, the format doesn't really matter for this kind of story. It doesn't matter one bit for the narrative of Prillya if it was weekly, monthly or even released all at once. Nothing would change because that's just not how the story was written. And how it was written lends itself the best for binging.
    Last edited by Astroprogs; January 4th, 2021 at 08:27 PM.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    While a series is going, it needs to adjust its narrative to its release pacing to keep the audience's interest.

Not everyone will patiently wait as long as it takes to binge everything, in such a competitive market.

I agree with Astro here. Sorry, but you guys are selfishly asking for the manga to be a rushjob usinng weak arguents that can be used to defend disasters like Index III. People are already complaining Kuro wasn't mourned for long and you want more rushing for muh happenings? No. This is how the manga is. Deal with it and be patient. The alternative is a rushjob, to say otherwise is to be in denial
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you two really think the only possible pacing options for Hiroyama is the current one or rushing everything then I really have nothing to say to that. You should probably try reading better monthly series, you don't even have to search that much because even other Fate manga do it better.

I mean, again, someone was complaining Kuro wasn't mourned properly. Seems to me it's already rushed and could go slower. What matters and will remain in the far future is the complete manga as it is for binge.
    Rushing it in the present ruins it forever. Not doing so is frustrating now, but leaves a great story once it's done and can be read as a whole in the future.
    Also, what's better or worse is subjective, so saying "read what I think is better manga and you'll magically be brainwashed into agreeing with me" is a nonsense statement
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    I mean, again, someone was complaining Kuro wasn't mourned properly. Seems to me it's already rushed and could go slower. What matters and will remain in the far future is the complete manga as it is for binge.
    Rushing it in the present ruins it forever. Not doing so is frustrating now, but leaves a great story once it's done and can be read as a whole in the future.
    The narrative doesn't work only on those terms though, this is what you guys are ignoring. This is not how writing works. It's not just do the exactly same things faster or slower, it's do things differently.
    I'm not saying Hiroyama should have crammed the exact narrative we've already seen in less pages, I'm saying he should be planning things differently with pacing in mind.

Also, what's better or worse is subjective, so saying "read what I think is better manga and you'll magically be brainwashed into agreeing with me" is a nonsense statement
    C'mon dude, you bring this discussion in every time. Do you want me to say "in my opinion you guys should read other series I think are better paced, and think about its pacing, so that you can reflect on the pacing of this one, and perhaps shift your perspective so you understand what I'm actually talking about"? Is that better?

The subjectivity of art is not a novel concept, you can just assume people know about it. Do people really need to spell out the subjectivity of all their statements when they are talking to you? No one is going to put IMO after every comment they make, move on.

If he has an idea and a path he wants to follow, indeed the only possibilities are this or rushing said path. The idea of a different version is too abstract and not really better. It's easy to make up a fantasy in your head of a different way the story is told that is perfectly ideal if your little fantasy land, or simply saying "this could be better" without thinking specifics. Different in what way? How would you apply the lessons you claim can be learned from those other stories to Prisma?. Would the final product of what you imagine really be better than the final product that'll exist once Hiroyama is done?
    Also, there's famous stories slower than Prisma: HunterxHunter and Berserk. Do you have the same criticisms for them?
    And if you don't like me preaching subjectivity, don't constantly make statements that can be read as statements of fact. Not my problem if you and people in general have issues and can't write opinions that don't read like declaration of facts.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Dude, it's basic persuasive writing/speaking to not preface literally everything you say with "I think", "In my opinion", and so on.

Of course it's what you believe, you're the one saying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    If he has an idea and a path he wants to follow, indeed the only possibilities are this or rushing said path. The idea of a different version is too abstract and not really better. It's easy to make up a fantasy in your head of a different way the story is told that is perfectly ideal if your little fantasy land, or simply saying "this could be better" without thinking specifics. Different in what way? How would you apply the lessons you claim can be learned from those other stories to Prisma?. Would the final product of what you imagine really be better than the final product that'll exist once Hiroyama is done?
    I already cited changes that would be beneficial to the pacing. Don't waste years going through boss phases if your plan is for the fight to be futile and for things to be ended suddenly. Don't spend an entire chapter retreading stuff after a decisive and unexpected change that should lead us to a completely new status quo. Etc, etc. I'm not going to go over the last few years of Prisma to rewrite it, I'm not even claiming my ideas are the best. Hiroyama is the one who should be aware of this and planning for it.

And your whole argument that we can't criticize this by thinking of hypotheticals is crazy. Did you never theorize or think of how you would've like a story to progress instead? What?

Also, there's famous stories slower than Prisma: HunterxHunter and Berserk. Do you have the same criticisms for them?
    Absolutely. I don't read Berserk but HxH is absolutely made worse by Togashi going even harder on the meticulous and slow style of Chimera Ants, but now releasing a chapter every year or whatever, which is why I dropped it.

And if you don't like me preaching subjectivity, don't constantly make statements that can be read as statements of fact. Not my problem if you and people in general have issues and can't write opinions that don't read like declaration of facts.
    Ok dude I'm sure people will preface everything with IMO and make sure to never use good, bad, better or worse when talking with you lmao