Page 736 of 805 FirstFirst ... 236636686726731734735736737738741746786 ... LastLast
Results 14,701 to 14,720 of 16094

Thread: Prisma Illya

Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Again, I'm not saying people are wrong for disliking a permanent death in Prisma. OverMaster however kept insisting in generalizations and broad statements about whole genres, styles of stories and audiences. I was just disagreeing with his claim of saying people will check out if characters die in general. When Honey got her whole school murdered, it was a simple revenge ecchi story about a robot girl with tranformation powers fighting the evil organization that killed her creator and dad, and that's an example where it still became a classic even after pulling the move of killing her entire school, which proves OverMaster's generalizations wrong
    I wouldn't disagree at all if OverMaster dropped the generalizations and focused on this specific death
    "In general", people do check out when their favorite character dies. Not everyone does, and maybe not enough to sink a franchise. But pulling specific or niche examples that show a series can survive doesn't prove the statement wrong.

And if isn't a JP only thing either. People did this with Game of Thrones too. Any series that wants you to care about the main characters and actually kills any can get this reaction.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Again, I'm not saying people are wrong for disliking a permanent death in Prisma. OverMaster however kept insisting in generalizations and broad statements about whole genres, styles of stories and audiences. I was just disagreeing with his claim of saying people will check out if characters die in general. When Honey got her whole school murdered, it was a simple revenge ecchi story about a robot girl with tranformation powers fighting the evil organization that killed her creator and dad, and that's an example where it still became a classic even after pulling the move of killing her entire school, which proves OverMaster's generalizations wrong
    I wouldn't disagree at all if OverMaster dropped the generalizations and focused on this specific death
    How about I just drop the discussion with you, period.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB View Post
    "In general", people do check out when their favorite character dies. Not everyone does, and maybe not enough to sink a franchise. But pulling specific or niche examples that show a series can survive doesn't prove the statement wrong.

And if isn't a JP only thing either. People did this with Game of Thrones too. Any series that wants you to care about the main characters and actually kills any can get this reaction.
    Niche isn't what I call anything I mentioned, really
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Personally, it's not so much the fact that Kuro was killed off that bothers me, it just feels kinda half-hearted.
    - Illya TnJ's Julian but Darius fully manifests himself; see you in a month
    - Darius postures and explains his plan; see you in a month
    - Illya goes after Darius with Saber but Darius destroy's Saber's card; see you in a month
    - Illya uses BerksekeRider again but Darius has multiple bodies or something and destroys those cards; see you in a month
    - Kuro suicides to take out Darius and gets a death scene a bit longer than Wakame Assassin's; see you in two months

It certainly doesn't leave high expectations for pay-offs with Gil, Sakura, Tanaka, or Beatrice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    - Kuro suicides to take out Darius and gets a death scene a bit longer than Wakame Assassin's; see you in two months
    It wasn't even a suicide/heroic sacrifice, tbh. Darius basically just murdered Kuro outright with zero opposition, she just used the moment to try and take him down with her. Which, cool I guess, but I very much agree its a pretty flaccid send-off to such an important and major character, especially considering there is no way in hell that this is the last we've seen of Darius. So not only did Kuro get popped like a balloon with zero agency in the decision, she was jobbing on her way out.

Like, if you kill of a major character like Kuro, I expect her to go on on her own terms. I expect her to go full Arash, trace Stella, tell the gods to scream her name, and blow Darius away in an act of total and completely badassery, not essentially get surprise Zanzibanya'd and be like, "oh shit, better make this worthwhile" at the last second.

Like, the more I think about it, the more distasteful I find it. It is so flaccid and weak. This wasn't an amazing heroic send-off, or some big brain play because there weren't implications that she was using herself as bait, it was more of a split last second reaction. She just straight-up got murdered. If Illya were a boy, I'd 100% call this a refrigerator moment. If this were animated, the whole scene wouldn't even be a full-minute.

Now Oath Under Snow is how you do a Heroic Sacrifice against an unbeatable opponent. Going down swinging, forcing them to acknowledge their strength. Even if they have an instant win trump card, they will be absolutely have to be forced to use it.

We can't even say that Kuro's death at the very least capstones the "Card arc" of Prillya, the things that started the whole series now finally being completely gone, because Sakura and Gilgamesh still have their cards. The Servant Cards in Prillya will still very much still be a thing going forward, so its not even poignant in that aspect.
    Last edited by SheriTansorma; October 26th, 2020 at 11:13 PM.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB View Post
    People did this with Game of Thrones too. Any series that wants you to care about the main characters and actually kills any can get this reaction.
    Eh, not really. If anything, Game of Thrones got only more popular with it. The show was still good and popular by the time Season 5 came around, and by then we already lost 2 big characters that people were treating as the protagonists of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by SheriTansorma View Post
    It wasn't even a suicide/heroic sacrifice, tbh. Darius basically just murdered Kuro outright with zero opposition, she just used the moment to try and take him down with her. Which, cool I guess, but I very much agree its a pretty flaccid send-off to such an important and major character, especially considering there is no way in hell that this is the last we've seen of Darius. So not only did Kuro get popped like a balloon with zero agency in the decision, she was jobbing on her way out.
    I wouldn't say that she had zero agency, since she decided to just stand still and let Darius off her instead of bouncing around like Illya did in the last chapter and maybe try to think of something else. Maybe after the two most useful cards in this situation got off-screened she realized being clever won't work.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mean, you're not guaranteed to go out guns blazing in a fight, you might just have to go for the mutual because things don't go your way.
    For a fatalistic/realistic type like her, that seems fitting. Having the weight of a fallen friend on your back for final battle gives the protagonists a +1000 modifier ya know.

I mean yes, obviously you aren't guaranteed to go out guns blazing. Aren't guaranteed to win either, story could end with Illya and Co losing and Miyu still ends up getting grailed to turn her world into tang. Is that supposed to make me more receptive to that sort of ending?

"Not being guaranteed" a good death isn't a very compelling reason for such a major and important character to get popped like a balloon while jobbing for Darius.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    I wouldn't say that she had zero agency, since she decided to just stand still and let Darius off her instead of bouncing around like Illya did in the last chapter and maybe try to think of something else. Maybe after the two most useful cards in this situation got off-screened she realized being clever won't work.
    She had zero agency in that, she had absolutely no say what so ever in the decision to die. She didn't choose to sacrifice herself, her death was entirely out of her hands and impossible to avoid the moment Darius decided he wanted to kill her. It didn't even seem like she had a plan going in, since the way its set up makes it look like she realized to go for the mutually assured destruction play *after* the death blow had already been landed.

She was just outright murdered.
    Last edited by SheriTansorma; October 27th, 2020 at 12:24 PM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    To be fair, Kuro was also just Illya's split personality(?) manifesting through a magical artifact(??).

All these arguments aside, I just wanted to correct something I'm seeing around recently. The next chapter is next month. There isn't a 1 month hiatus. It's just that the numbering of Comp-Ace is fucked up. This one was the December issue. Next month's will be the January issue.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    To be fair, Kuro was also just Illya's split personality(?) manifesting through a magical artifact(??).
    So my guess is that when this whole thing is over, if she hasn't come back because of bullshit magic already, the cast is going to realize that all they need is for Illya to install Archer again, and Kuro comes back. With no memory of anything, completely reset to Zwei, and it's going to be the downer ending that the part goes out on. Save the world, save your friend, somehow manage to resurrect your fallen comrades, only for them to treat you as a hostile stranger.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Install Archer with what card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Convert oniichan to class card kek

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The ones that show up once the villain is beaten to reset the status quo?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, speaking of villains: Darius may be out of commission (for how long is anybody's guess), but there's still Pandora to deal with. What's the plan to deal with her?

The world floods with mud.

Miyu boops Team Illya back home and works with Julian.

Cue Epilogue and Last Episode.

598,535,004 (NA)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Speaking of Kuro, people say she reminded them of FSN Illya, but honestly, I never really felt much of anything of FSN Illya in Chloe, beyond her brocon lust.

FSN Illya was never nearly as promiscuously (bi)sexual as Chloe almost always was.

Honestly, no one like FSN Illya was in Prisma I feel. Except maybe Sakuralot, sort of.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    FYI Mimi awakening chapter's timeline was post 3rei so let's hope it's canon.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    FYI Mimi awakening chapter's timeline was post 3rei so let's hope it's canon.
    Who is Mimi?