Thread: An investigation into the possibilities and effectiveness of using music as an authoritative aid.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Blog Entries

An investigation into the possibilities and effectiveness of using music as an authoritative aid.

Let's skip straight to the results. One scene was written three times. The first time without music as a control, and the other two while listening to specific themes. To keep things simple, the plot used was "Shirou gets attacked in an alley. Fight happens, Shirou wins."

Control (no music):

Shirou was having an off day. First, Rin had gotten mad at him for some reason when he said he would help Saber find some more modern clothes, and then all the girls got mad at him when he suggested that they make it a group event. Things had become so bad at the store, that they threw him out, into the back alley. As though to put a cherry on top of this horrible sundae, some guys were attacking him out in that same alley!

Girls. Would he ever understand them? As Shirou finished cleaning the guys' collective clocks, he shook his head. Probably never.

_____

Test #1 (Listening to Rap is a Man's Soul)

What a day! Those girls had been tearing poor Shirou apart. It was almost a relief when he got kicked out into the back alley. Oh, look, there were some people here to rob him! Excellent, Shirou needed a way to let off some steam.

A Shinai somehow wormed its way from his mind into his hand. Somehow, it just knew that tonight, it would taste blood.

____

Test #2 (Listening to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers TV Theme Song (Full Version))

"Finally, I got away from them!" Really, Shirou loved the girls, but he could not handle all of them and their simultaneous bouts of jealousy. He would have to find a way for them to get along. Maybe if he-

*CLANG* Shirou barely ducked the lead pipe that had been swung at his head. He then immediately had roll to get away from a man with a broken bottle.

"Heh heh, give us your goods and you won't be hurt!"

"Right, I'm supposed to believe that when you have already attacked me?"

"You wound us with your words... and if you refuse to hand over the goods, then we must reciprocate. Attack!"

"Enough of this, I don't feel up to taking you guys down right now, can we do this later?" Shirou asked, but to no avail. The men raised their weapons and charged. Shirou could only oblige.

The man with the iron bar found himself disarmed. Shirou made certain to leave deep cuts on his arms to show that he could have made that literal. As it was, the man had a sword held up to his neck, courtesy of Shirou. Interesting when you consider that Shirou hadn't possessed any swords when these men had begun their assault. The bottle waving man found himself in a similar position.

"You wacko! Get him Johnny!" One of the men at swordpoint cried out. In the corner of his eye Shirou spied a third man, this one raising a gun. The man quickly found his face full of lead pipe, and his vision full of darkness to match. At this point, the men were about ready to cry.

"You sure you don't want to take me up on my earlier offer? I'm exhausted, and any rest would be wonderful." The remaining men looked at each other, and at some unspoken signal, ran for the hills.

Now, how to get those girls to reconcile their differences?

_____

Conclusion:

Music has absolutely no effect on your writing style or skill level. It has no effect on your writing of any kind, as the above clearly proves. Nope, absolutely no effect.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I find your results to be inconclusive.

------->

Head

Blog Entries
    I read the title and thought you meant background music for readers.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.