「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

I have a secret that I haven't told you... Huitante's Avatar
    Looks very nice, also love the music. Would be nice show to watch next season.
    Also this trailer made me want to rewatch Unicorn for some reason.
    We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world

OLD MEN ARE THE FUTURE

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Neat, hope its better than Reconguista

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    looks like something directed by Michael Bay

pls get the joke
    Last edited by DreamsRequiem; August 3rd, 2015 at 05:05 AM.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Neat, hope its better than Reconguista
    calling the MC's unit with 'gundam' is already better.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    I've been steadily disappointed with every standard gundam anime not named "Build Fighters" since 2004, so I'll start with my expectations low.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just wish they'd animate Crossbone already, though...

Blog Entries
    The waist on the Gundam looked so thin but I'm hopefull, also is Origin ep 2 out?
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Not a huge fan of the character designs, though that miht be because I'm too used to Build Fighters.

Still, the concept of Gundam megaman is very interesting. I'll definitely watch it.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    I've been steadily disappointed with every standard gundam anime not named "Build Fighters" since 2004, so I'll start with my expectations low.
    You belong with your opinions.

In the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by ZidanReign View Post
    You belong with your opinions.

In the trash.
    DESTINY, 00, AGE, and Reconguista.

If you wanted to damn me for not liking something, you probably should've chosen a better lineup.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    DESTINY, 00, AGE, and Reconguista.

If you wanted to damn me for not liking something, you probably should've chosen a better lineup.
    I liked all of those besides AGE. Destiny is in the middle between liking and loathing.

All AGE had was Flit and then it went all tumbling down

REMOVE VAGANS

Quote Originally Posted by ZidanReign View Post
    I liked all of those besides AGE.

All AGE had was Flit and then it went all tumbling down

REMOVE VAGANS
    If you liked Destiny, then I honestly don't know what to say. 00 at least looked pretty and started off with some good ideas (which it completely wasted) and the worst I can say about Reconguista is that it's merely alright.

But Destiny is a 50 episode long trainwreck of both technical and narrative failures that mars its predecessor's name. Up until Psycho-PASS 2 surpassed it last year, it was honestly the benchmark of how I judged sequels that utterly failed compared to the original.

Blog Entries
    I thought AGE was good until Kio's arc, crazy grandpa Flit couldn't even redeem it . 00 I liked, Destiny I enjoyed probably more than I should have probably cause SEED was one of the first anime I watched as an adult so had some attachment to the characters.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

SEED is my favorite Gundam, although that's for somewhat more personal reasons and Zeta is still the best in my opinion. It's why Destiny is so baffling to me. It takes everything I loved about SEED and casually stomps all over it while simultaneously trying to rip off Zeta. It's like Fukuda didn't understand what made his original so good and just listened to popularity polls and the marketing data for the models.

I personally try not to think about it whenever I watch SEED, because it just makes me sad to think of all the wasted potential.

Blog Entries
    I liked Gundam Unicorn and MSG IGLOO.

Those are both OVAs. Unicorn was good, though it let itself down a bit in the final episode. MS Igloo I'm fairly ambivalent towards.

Blog Entries
    It'd be nice, if, say, they re-did ZZ for an anniversary or something.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    I liked SEED too, it was an okay enough retelling and basically rebooting the gundam franchise with a new continuity that had a better chance of being followed up than Wing, which collapsed upon itself with its tightly knitted ending. SEED was retelling the first Gundam story with its own twist and turns, and while not entirely perfect it was good enough to breath back life in to the franchise after the marketing disasters that was Turn A and Gundam X.

Yes, I know it had bad moments and was very inconsistent story wise, but what it did right was making the Mechas be something that everyone wanted to buy, with Strike's mutli pack that everyone absolutely everyone had to have, causing people to buy the same gundam over and over again because they sold the pack separately. The designs were again based on the UC designs except a bit more modern and that helped even the fans that are only really familiar with UC get into it too.

SEED wasn't the best series, and hell, it can be said that it wasn't even a good series, but it did what needed to be done during that time, a breath of fresh air, a new universe in which the franchise could build upon new and entirely different stories, almost like a parallel to the UC. People underestimate the impact of SEED really, which is sad.

Now, SEED Destiny is entirely, entirely different. It took the building blocks that SEED had established, building blocks which were already so fucking fragile, and smashed the to the ground and them stomped on it repeatedly until it was nothing but dust. It just...I dunno how to even describe it anymore, how do you ruin something so badly that it made sequels impossible because of how much they fucked up the characters, the setting, the fucking everything.

Just..why?

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

SEED is probably the one Gundam series I've consistently come back to. It's only really a retelling of the original throughout the first half, and by the second, it's created its own territory which it doesn't shy away from plumbing to its deepest depths. It has some of the strongest character dynamics in the franchise, twists that are neither utterly predictable nor completely nonsensical, and probably the most powerful themes as well. It's also personally important to

It has its fair share of problems. Stock footage and flashback sequences abound in blatant cost saving gimmicks, the series's pacing in the first half drops in and out, there's a ridiculous obsession with naked people, and with the exception of the first ending, most of the intro and outro sequences are pretty forgettable (though they have good music). These issues don't detract from the core strengths of the series though, and it's still my favorite.

The real problem is that it didn't need a sequel. It's kinda like Bioshock. It ended strongly and resolutely, its themes explored from front to back, and all of its most pressing conflicts resolved. The questions posed weren't totally answered, but they weren't supposed to be. The point was to leave the questions to the audience.

So bringing out a sequel to retread the same ground can only beggar the question of "Why?" It's telling that Destiny had to essentially undo a lot of people's character development and retcon a bunch of crap to even get within sight range of the amount of emotional tension that SEED pulled off. There just wasn't enough room left for a sequel to do mostly the same thing and expect to get the same mileage out of it. Sunrise tried to cash in on SEED's success, and probably succeeded on making their investment back several times. However, SEED and the franchise as a whole are worse for it and really haven't been the same since. So nice job breaking it guys.